• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield, FF16, GOW Ragnarok, or Tears of the Kingdom - which of these had the worst writing?

Which of these games have the worst writing?

• Total voters

Edellus

I've only played FFXVI, GoW:R, Spiderman 2. Out of those 3 I choose Spiderman 2 as with the worst writing. Which is not saying much, because I really liked the writing of FFXVI and GoW:R.

Spiderman 2's writing is overall very good and has great pacing. It is just that certain scenarios and exchanges felt a bit forced. But most of those happen in sidequests so it is not a big deal.

And that's about it. Spiderman 2 is still a great game and sequel in my eyes.

Nickolaidas

I don't eat shit, nor turds, so I know neither taste.

But yes I too heard Spiderman 2 was a shitty game, so maybe I should just vote that one then.
Well in my case, I didn't just hear it. I watched videos explaining, and SHOWING in detail how cringe it was.

Poor Starfield still getting hated on. Them ponies have no mercy 🤣
If you could stop yourself from sucking Phil's cock, for just a spell, you'd see this is more than a console warring issue, especially considering how much eye rolls SM2 and GOW:R are getting from PS5 owners.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Poor Starfield still getting hated on. Them ponies have no mercy 🤣
I dont understand why PlayStation and Nintendo fans are able to be critical about their games and exclusives, and be honest about their shortcomings, but Xbox fans seem to struggle with it. Why is this?

You can love a game and still be able to point out issues with it, in fact one of the key qualities of being a functional adult is being able to separate your feelings on an issue from the broader context surrounding it. You can like Starfield and still recognize its shortcomings in the writing and story area - why won't you?

sigrad

Spider-man 2s writing is awful. If you think it is, you aren't very bright. Or maybe I should have said you aren't very old. Spider-man 2 is CW level writing. Most of the dialogue sounds like it was written for tweens.. While Starfield is closer to a show on NBC or CBS.

sigrad

I dont understand why PlayStation and Nintendo fans are able to be critical about their games and exclusives, and be honest about their shortcomings, but Xbox fans seem to struggle with it. Why is this?

You can love a game and still be able to point out issues with it, in fact one of the key qualities of being a functional adult is being able to separate your feelings on an issue from the broader context surrounding it. You can like Starfield and still recognize its shortcomings in the writing and story area - why won't you?
Playstation fans are critical of their own games. WTF have you been smoking. Do you read posts on here or go on twitter. PS fans shit all over anything Xbox. XBox fans are critical from what I've seen. PS fans praise everything that is exclusive to the PS. Nintendo fans are the best because because they really dont need to be critical. Nintendo rarely misses. And there are a few XBox twitter people who praise everything Xbox. But
there are ton more PS twitter people who shit on Xbox. and attack people for buying there kids xbox's. Never sen an "Xbot" do that.I've seen tons of Xbox centric Youtubers get very critical about Starfield and Forza Motorsport 2023. I'm one of the critical ones. I loved Starfield. Played 144 hours and beat it , but I'll tell you what. I won't pick it up and play it again. And FM2023 was/is a massive disappoint. The driving is still really good, but there is no substance to that game and the graphics are... just very disappointing.

Last edited:
I haven't played any of the other games in the poll, but I actually thought FF16 had some of the best writing and dialogue for an FF game in a long time.

Characters felt and talked like real people, instead of the weird over-acting, almost theatrical, Star Wars prequel-esque dialogue, like in FF7R.

The story's another matter though. It kinda shit itself towards the end with the main villain, but even still, it's the best FF for me personally since FF12.

Atrus

Gold Member
I’ve played all 5 though I’m still early on in FFXVI to really fully evaluate how successful it all pans out.

It’s pretty safe to say that Starfield has the worst plot of the lot by far. The rest have an arc or multiple arcs that are memorable while Starfield is a relatively benign experience in a cold, static universe. Good for photos on the surface on extraterrestrial worlds but little else.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Gaf, help me. Is FFXVI good? Is it worth the $40 bucks Amazon is asking? I just got a ps5 slim and building a backlog.

Other option is the Last of Us Part 1 for $37. Never played it but the story has been spoiled for me.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do you need to eat a turd to know it tastes like shit?

I don't eat shit, nor turds, so I know neither taste.

9K87Xmb.gif

Spider-man 2s writing is awful. If you think it is, you aren't very bright. Or maybe I should have said you aren't very old. Spider-man 2 is CW level writing. Most of the dialogue sounds like it was written for tweens.. While Starfield is closer to a show on NBC or CBS.

However awful you think SM2’s writing is, Starfield is infinitely worse

SM2 has some cringey forced side quests, but the dialogue for the main story is perfectly fine and well acted, with characters that act like real people.

Starfield on the other hand seems to have been written to make everyone in the world seem completely braindead, with binary choices that have absolutely no nuance, and voice acting that is totally stilted and lifeless. Immediately after characters start droning on I find myself falling asleep

sigmaZ

Gaf, help me. Is FFXVI good? Is it worth the $40 bucks Amazon is asking? I just got a ps5 slim and building a backlog.

Other option is the Last of Us Part 1 for $37. Never played it but the story has been spoiled for me.
You're gonna love it or hate.

Valedix

Play the demo first it's free, and like others have said you will either love it or hate it instantly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And there are a few XBox twitter people who praise everything Xbox. But
there are ton more PS twitter people who shit on Xbox. and attack people for buying there kids xbox's. Never sen an "Xbot" do that.
First 😆, sure sure… second you were not around during the early to mid Xbox 360 days (there were a lot more Xbox fans online than PS ones and they were behaving the same if not even more aggressive, now there are far less Xbox users total and that is what you are seeing really), the pre-launch period of Xbox One X or Project Scorpio or the pre launch hype of Xbox Series X apparently (or how these super fair green totally non astroturfers are hyping something as the bestest thing ever until it does not set the world on fire and in order to hype the next thing they allow themselves mild criticism and disappointment of something they can no longer deny to appear less partial).
Or you have the victim card to play…

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I really enjoyed the battle where I was fighting a boss who was a symbiote with red hair and good old Peter Parker spent 10 minutes shouting about how he realises he wasn't respecting his women how he should. He should listen. And motivate her. Lift her up. Don't hold her back.....all in a gruff scream man child voice....it really touched me and deserved a bafta for its writing!
First 😆, sure sure… second you were not around during the early to mid Xbox 360 days (there were a lot more Xbox fans online than PS ones and they were behaving the same if not even more aggressive, now there are far less Xbox users total and that is what you are seeing really), the pre-launch period of Xbox One X or Project Scorpio or the pre launch hype of Xbox Series X apparently (or how these super fair green totally non astroturfers are hyping something as the bestest thing ever until it does not set the world on fire and in order to hype the next thing they allow themselves mild criticism and disappointment of something they can no longer deny to appear less partial).
Or you have the victim card to play…

Basically, annoying gaming fans from the dawn of time that were arguing about Sega and Nintendo...then they bought a ps1 or whatever then moved to the more popular ps2....then followed the crowd to the xbox 360...then to the ps4....and now to the ps5....

It's all the same madness moving around fewling the need to attack, defend, whatever.

I do like the new narrative that if you are even remotely interested in xbox, you are obviously paid to do so and are part of a secret cabal of astroturfers trying to take over the world. Not that you could ever genuinely enjoy an xbox game or gamepass.

That's a fun one.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I do like the new narrative that if you are even remotely interested in xbox, you are obviously paid to do so and are part of a secret cabal of astroturfers trying to take over the world.
Straight into “sky is falling” hyperbole? Being interested in Xbox does not make one an astroturfers, but believing that the Xbox team does not engage in plenty of astroturfing as a general practice is naive at best.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Straight into “sky is falling” hyperbole? Being interested in Xbox does not make one an astroturfers, but believing that the Xbox team does not engage in plenty of astroturfing as a general practice is naive at best.

OK, definitely not that I'm reading on here in the last 48 hours...pure hyperbole 😉

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes, but you could also join the talk about Sony Japanese roots dying and how it is a stain on the world and all :p.

My statement is pretty factual though. They moved to the US and changed from the Japanese inputs. How is that not moving away from their Japanese roots?

If the truth offends you, then I don't really know what to say. 😀

On the astro turf thing. I know it's real and has happened. There's proof of it, but it doesn't make every statement about someone enjoying their xbox or game pass some shill astro turf sponsored post.

Last edited:

Interfectum

It’s definitely Starfield but I’d say Spider-Man 2 is right behind it. That MJ/Scream fight…. :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_tears_of_joy: Worst shit ever. Neutered Peter.

FF16 and Zelda have no business being in this list.

Last edited:

sigrad

However awful you think SM2’s writing is, Starfield is infinitely worse

SM2 has some cringey forced side quests, but the dialogue for the main story is perfectly fine and well acted, with characters that act like real people.

Starfield on the other hand seems to have been written to make everyone in the world seem completely braindead, with binary choices that have absolutely no nuance, and voice acting that is totally stilted and lifeless. Immediately after characters start droning on I find myself falling asleep
Not even close. IMO

Top Bottom