• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see an Abrahamic God of War?

Fbh

Nah that would probably hit too close to home and would get unwanted complaints.
Could be cool though, specially if they go with the weird old testament angels and things like that:
e86dbcf461901cac121e2ce6da56c240.jpg

With that said I'm actually not sure where they could go after Egyptian mythology.

Bartski

Gold Member
Nah that would probably hit too close to home and would get unwanted complaints.
Could be cool though, specially if they go with the weird old testament angels and things like that:

With that said I'm actually not sure where they could go after Egyptian mythology.

that's the kind of angel you can talk to if you do enough acid.

I hope not because the people who make games like God of War have proven they would have no respect for traditional Christian religion and would instead use it as a platform to tip their fedoras.

Modern western culture in general seems to still be bitter about their parents making them go to Sunday school and not letting them smoke weed while taking it out on Christianity.

If anything i think we get a Mayan or Egyptian one by the end of the generation. I bet Set would be the
villian in the egyptian one, and Anubis as an ally…

Want to really have fun with a very open pantheon then we go really old school and do Mesopotamian.
Any excuse to have another depiction of Gilgamesh.
c17xeFj.gif

FUCK GILGAMESH!
The ones I really want to see are Lugalbanda and Innana having adventures on the Iranian highlands!

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

dvl_ic_m_seraph.png

Reactions: Fbh
I somewhat agree, I don't want GOW turn in to Assassins Creed.
Hey i love the new AC games 😡, but here's the thing that series has A LOT of freedom to be anything because it was designed that way from the beginning, kinda like serial tv shows before the HBO/Netflix binge watching model became the norm.

GOW was made with Greek mythology in mind and wasn't planned to span more than 3-4 games and they wrote themselves into a corner since 2, that's why the switch to Norse mythology was NECESSARY and why i suspect they'll never explain how Kratos got to their domain and TBH I'm fine with it, explaining everything has ruined many stories in modern games and other media, and MGS is the poster boy for how horribly wrong it is to remove all mystery from fiction.

Roni

Gold Member
That claim is both philosophically and historically false.

Torture is a tenant of atheistic regimes. What I got from the comment I replied to was the rhetoric that Christianity is guilty of it when that's the kettle calling the pot black.
You're right, we're in the same boat... You already don't believe in 99% of known gods, I simply don't believe in that extra 1% too.

Last edited:

Danjin44

GOW was made with Greek mythology in mind and wasn't planned to span more than 3-4 games and they wrote themselves into a corner since 2, that's why the switch to Norse mythology was NECESSARY and why i suspect they'll never explain how Kratos got to their domain and TBH I'm fine with it, explaining everything has ruined many stories in modern games and other media, and MGS is the poster boy for how horribly wrong it is to remove all mystery from fiction.
Actually God of War wasn’t even suppose to have sequels. The 1st game literally ended with Kratos watching over wars through time.

This why in my opinion got this stupid plot of Kartos being demigod and son of Zeus, which doesn’t make sense in context of the 1st game. If he was Demigod, then why even needed Ares help to beat some human barbarian?

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I hope not because the people who make games like God of War have proven they would have no respect for traditional Christian religion and would instead use it as a platform to tip their fedoras.

Modern western culture in general seems to still be bitter about their parents making them go to Sunday school and not letting them smoke weed while taking it out on Christianity.
Yeah we are pissed off about petty shit like that and not about being brainwashed into magical nonsensical thinking. Forcing kids to believe in some made up nonsense that goes against basic biology is not cool. If Christianity was a truth you wouldn't have to shove it down innocent kids' faces before they know how to ask the right questions or how to investigate things for themselves.

Actually God of War wasn’t even suppose to have sequels. The 1st game literally ended with Kratos watching over wars through time.

This why in my opinion got this plot Kartos being demigod and son if Zeus, which doesn’t make sense in context of the 1st game. If he was Demigod, then why even needed Ares help to beat some human barbarian?
Retcons as big as this is the bane of modern writing along with the obsession of using the same characters cause you need to constantly re-write everything to accommodate the next installment.

You know why SMT IV Apocalypse is divisive among the SMT community? Because it retconed a number of IV's characters (among pther things) to better fit into the new narrative.

To be honest it's a tricky situation, and companies are afraid to introduce new characters (my biggest beef with Nintendo IPs especially Zelda) or IPs cause they know they'll lose a huge number of sales cause casual players only buy what they know (CoD, Fifa,etc).

Danjin44

You know why SMT IV Apocalypse is divisive among the SMT community? Because it retconed a number of IV's characters (among pther things) to better fit into the new narrative.
At least SMT series we have concept of different cycle and timeline based on choices MC makes.

Last edited:

Danjin44

That's why Apocalypse IS divisive cause it's story necessitate following IV's netural ending.
I know, but you could still argue Apocalypse‘s world is different “cycle” that follows different natural path.

Beside it’s rare for SMT to have direct sequel, if I remember correctly, SMTII is the direct sequel to first game.

Last edited:
Today’s trailer and subsequent revelation this would be the end of the Norse installments got me wondering where things go next. Is it too far fetched for them to dabble in Abrahamic mythology? Can you imagine that shit? Kratos whooping up on Jesus or Mohammed?
That would actually be pretty intersting and a mythos that is rarely ever touch... for good reason. It hits too close to home for many. It is far too "real" for a lot of people and will definitely lead to some crazy shit if it does every happen. I don't think it would go down very well.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Let us see the interplanetary war between Mars and Tiamat. The aftermath on Gaia could make a nice sequel.

Danjin44

One day we will able to summon Kartos as a Demon in SMT and I will have the pleasure using him as fusion material.:messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Yeah, like we need a video game that’ll cause a real outrage worldwide, with death threats that will (this time) become real.

But to be honest, anything that shits on religion, I’ll buy day one. 😈

Its time kratos faced some real gods. Azetc gods.

Huitzilopochtli – ‘The Hummingbird of the South’:​

God of Sun and War​

d20wqem-e725abc7-ee3a-47ad-8585-4a84e6d95763.jpg

Quetzalcoatl – ‘The Feathered Serpent’:​

God of Light and Wind​

aztec-gods-goddesses-facts_2-min.jpg

Tezcatlipoca – ‘The Smoking Mirror’:​

God of Darkness and Sorcery​

aztec-gods-goddesses-facts_3-min.jpg

Xipe Totec – ‘Our Lord the Flayed One’:​

God of Death and Rebirth​

xipe_totec_by_cesar_fps_d57wqxj-fullview.jpg

láloc – ‘He Who Makes Things Sprout’:​

God of Rain and Storms​

tlaloc_by_gerardo_ro_ca_87_d57r36q-fullview.jpg

I would also say the Indian gods… but that would offend the Indians.

showernota

It won't be possible. The Abrahamic God or Allah is unimaginable, without any shape or form, without any likeness or example, was not born and did not give birth to anyone else, is All Powerful and All Encompassing. As such, there is no god other than Him and so the game won't work in this context. Very interestingly, the God in the Qur'aan (Muslim Holy Book) Himself tells of the inevitable chaos that would result from there being multiple gods:

"Had there been in these two (the heaven and the earth) other gods (as well) apart from Allah, then both would have been destroyed. So, Holy is Allah, the Lord of the Throne, Transcendent above all (the things) that these (polytheists) utter." - Chapter, The Prophets: Verse 22

You can read the complete chapter (not that long) here: https://www.irfan-ul-quran.com/english/Surah-al-Ambiya-with-english-translation/

Also, DM me any questions regarding Islam and Muslim beliefs (y) (This sort of stuff interests me :pie_grinning_sweat:)

mohammad is pretty clear allah's shape is two right hands and a shin, at least. He's also short, hen-toed, woolly-haired, with a weird butt (BUT, he is not one-eyed, that's how you can tell the difference between allah and the dajjal). Not having a girlfriend is why allah didn't give birth, which is a weird way of putting it.

packy34

Not only would it not work narratively, but if they actually tried it, it might be the thing that gets video games heavily regulated/banned in some areas. You can't hurt people's feefees when it comes to religion.

TheGrat1

I think that people are overlooking the fact that Norse Mythology began well after Abrahamic religions were well established. Kratos would have to go back in time hundreds if not thousands of years to take on Abraham and his God. Even further to take on Egyptian Gods. I have not yet played 2018 GOW so if there is some convenient time-travel mechanism ignore this.
Monotheism doesn‘t fit the concept of a game where you kill a multitude of gods.
Also this.
Also, Jesus would whoop Kratos Ass.
IDK, man. It looks like Kratos is about to give Thor a whooping and probably take his hammer. Jesus was nailed to a piece of wood. I do not think Jesus would want that smoke!

/jk

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think if they would introduce abrahamic gods, it would be as a series finale. Kratos kills the last of the mythological gods and ends up dying, only to see a new divine figure being born/coming into existance. Ending his era like he ended so many others.

yurinka

I think Japan and Egipt are the best options, but Tsushima got Japan, so I think GoW will use Egipt next.

Abrahamic mithology would offend many dangerous armed people from USA and from Middle East. But can be done (WARNING: INCLUDES GORE):

Last edited:
Top Bottom