• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will we ever see an Abrahamic God of War?

Since a lot of Catholic and protestant stuff isn't actually written perhaps they could use that.

Kratos vs. Pope, mafia going around killing people for indulgences and Kratos must stop them.

luffie

According to Christian theology, Jesus is the same being as God. God exists as a Trinity of three "persons" we call Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The Son has a human nature and a divine nature. Two natures, yet one "person" of the Triune God. Christ's human nature is inseparable from his divine nature, ever since God added a human nature to the divine at the incarnation. So Jesus Christ, according to Christian theology, is equal in power to God. He is literally God. Otherwise to worship him would be the sin of idolatry.

Also, this nonsense that Christ is somehow weak or a pacifist is not a Christian one. It's been popularized by people who aren't very biblically literate combined with popular culture depictions of Jesus as milquetoast, often in mockery (think South Park). According to the Bible, Christ first came in peace to redeem the world. He then comes with power and fire and war. First as the lamb of God, then as the lion of Judah. First to lay down his life, 'they do not take my life, I give it', then as the one who conquers, 'every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Christ is Lord.'

2 Thessalonains 1
[...]when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed—for our testimony to you was believed.

There are numerous violent passages like this, that Christ will basically wage war on the godless at his return, 'and slay them from the breath of his mouth.' Far from being a pacifist, he has promised a war that he cannot lose and the construction of a kingdom that cannot be overthrown. When this same God punishes the blaspheming damned in the fires of Hell, why should this surprise anyone? This idea that Jesus is somehow merely a teddy bear weakling, on Christian theology, is nonsense. People confuse his mercy with weakness. Even during his peaceful earthly ministry, he wove together a whip of cords and drove out the moneychangers who were corrupting the temple of God at Jerusalem.
pls, I'm a Christian, I know my shit, never did i mention Jesus was weak. But the way they wield their power is different than the concept of a man wielding power. Which is why you think "not hitting back is weak", meanwhile in the bible it commends you as strong, as being able to control your emotion and not give in to anger.

Jesus/Yahweh does not need to come into fisticuffs ever, he could simply wills it that you rot, and be forgotten into existence. You will not see, hear, nor sense him.

So even if Jesus form himself into a mortal form as he did, it will not be used for usual fisticuffs violence. At most he will come and ask Kratos to forgive himself, ask Atreus to respect his father. In which Kratos will reply "I did", and thus game ends.

which is why Abrahamic Gods is not a good candidate for GoW because their concept of power is wholly different.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Babylonian or Mesopotamian would work, also maybe gnostic Christianity? Plenty of angels/demons, ala Solomon lesser keys but I feel like SMT/Persona has done that to death in the video game scene.

Also another idea, lovecraftian mythology. It’s not exactly a renown or popular belief, but plenty of interesting gods.

Last edited:
Ok. So I don't think the disagreement really amounts to much. Since the "Atheist" can simply renounce any claim to be using that term in its "base" form.

Exactly. By specifying himself as an agnostic or a weak atheist as opposed to an atheist (that being the word in its base form; sans juxtapositions).

So is the skeptic in the Loch Ness monster example a disbeliever or a non-believer?

He is an unbeliever by your specification, but whether he is also a disbeliever would depend on information you didn't provide. Is he actively denying that God exists, or is he neutral towards his existence? His belief isn't so much a question of his reasons/confidence for and against, but rather it is primarily about his choice regarding (i). He may not commit to believing what his insufficient evidence has led him to, or he may say they are sufficient. So he could either be a disbeliever, or not, based on your description.

So you can make a distinction between nonbeliever and disbeliever but not between statements of knowledge vs. statements about belief? Weird but OK.

I'm not sure what you mean by "but not between statements of knowledge vs. statements about belief".

Last edited:
LOL at this whole thread, you guys need to stick to the games and leave religion out of this, it's beyond your understanding and this isn't exactly the place to be debating this, these things can go on for hours.

Top Bottom