• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Magazine Gives God of War Ragnarok a 6/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
god-of-war-ragnarok-non-convince-edge-kratos-non-sufficienza-v5-621099-1280x720.webp

God of War Ragnarok was met with practically unanimous acclaim from international critics, who strongly praised the latest work by Santa Monica Studio released last November 9 on PlayStation 5 and PS4.

God of War Ragnarok reached an average of 94 on Metacritic, the same also recorded by its 2018 predecessor. But there are also those who were not particularly impressed by the latest adventure starring Kratos and Atreus: the famous British magazine EDGE has in fact assigned 6 to God of War Ragnarok, a vote in contrast to what is expressed by the majority of his colleagues.

According to some excerpts from the review reported by a user on ResetERA, EDGE argues that Ragnarok has many good ideas, but not all of them effectively executed. Criticisms also to the level design, which according to the magazine wants to try to be open world, but the scenarios are far too segmented and designed to leave room for a large number of fetch quests and secondary assignments essentially focused on enhancing one's arsenal. EDGE was not convinced even by the narrative: while appreciating several of the themes covered, the magazine believes that the story actually fails to hit the point, ending up being crushed by its own ambitions.

Criticisms also for the too many mini-bosses and for the humorous dialogues that quickly become repetitive. On the other hand, the positive aspects include the remarkable graphic creation, the great variety of settings and the efficiency of the combat system in closed spaces, considered more satisfactory than the clashes in open scenarios. The judgment will undoubtedly give rise to various discussions, especially considering that in 2018 EDGE assigned 8 to the previous God of War.

What do you think of the criticisms leveled? Do you agree or was the British magazine too harsh?

anthony2690

Banned
Can we have the rest of the review scores for this month?

Giving GOW:R a 6/10 isn't a big deal imo, hopefully people realise we all have opinions when it comes to games :)

Hopefully Sony doesn't blacklist them though, and I can imagine the reviewer has a very long weekend incoming, when he gets all the death threats etc from the crazies.

They also gave Gears of War 5 a 5/10, maybe they just don't like the GOW abbreviation ;)

Last edited:

A.Romero

Giving GOW:R a 6/10 isn't a big deal imo, hopefully people realise we all have opinions when it comes to games :)

Hopefully Sony doesn't blacklist them though, and I can imagine the reviewer has a very long weekend incoming, when he gets all the death threats etc from the crazies.

They also gave Gears 5 a 5/10, maybe they just don't like the GOW abbreviation ;)

Has Sony blacklisted anyone in the past for low review scores?

I think I only remember doing stuff like that for leaking info.

They also gave Gears of War 5 a 5/10, maybe they just don't like the GOW abbreviation ;)

If they did blacklist them it would say more about Sony than the opinions of a reviewer.

Banjo64

cumsessed
6 sounds harsh to me without playing. The first game was a 9 for me, and reading legitimate criticisms on here from Sony fans (hand holding on puzzles, boring long section, anti-climatic ending fight and Kratos lack of development) it sounds like it’d be an 8 for me.

That being said, as ludicrous as a 6 sounds, the 10s sound equally ridiculous to me.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wow that's even less than I thought. I was predicting a 7 from them based on the 8 for 2018.

I can't agree with a 6 for this. Seems harsh but I also can't agree with the sea of 10/10s but I'm holding true judgement until I complete it.

its a solid 8 out of 10 where I currently am.

Last edited:

Kadve

Has Sony blacklisted anyone in the past for low review scores?

I think I only remember doing stuff like that for leaking info.
Not for giving low scores but they have stopped giving out review copies to The Escapist. Something about not liking the "slander" of Zero Punctuation.

Anyway. I never really trust review scores for these high profile games from beloved franchises anyway. The reviewers know that they will get murdered by either fans or the publisher if they give a sub 8 score so they always give high ones even if the game so doesn't deserve it (MGS V anyone?). So kudos to Edge for actually giving their opinion for once.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

I believe Gears 5 scored a 6/10, too.

xrnzaaas

It's not a 6/10 game, but it's not a 9.4/10 game either. Or maybe it's just me a little bit fed up with Sony's first party games (even though I love they're still supporting 100% singleplayer titles).

Ywap

Atttention seekers.

Everyone knows this is a 9/10 depending on taste. And this is from someone who only played the first one.

Edit: Just saw the post above and that must be the case.

Last edited:

Salz01

For me it’s better than 2018 GOW. But not as good as the old ones. I liked certain things, but it also had lots of padding and talking. Which kills any subsequent 2nd time walk through for me. It hurts that there is no chapter select. The graphics are good, but it’s totally a ps4 game.

Fuz

Banned
God of War is 100% normie bait designed for the sort of people who buy a videogame because they see an advertisement on the side of a bus, and who subsequently base their opinion on the perceived social pressure of a Metacritic score, so I praise Edge magazine for apparently hiring people with functioning brains by accident
Haven't played it, seen some gameplay videos and according to what I saw, I have to agree.

Homogenized for the masses.

Last edited:
Imagine how cool it would be if there was a scripted fight on top of that bus that lasts for about twenty minutes and barely involves any player input lol

At least you get loot afterwards I guess... people who play real games only have the benefit of enjoying playing a game for the sake of it, they'll never feel the rush of getting loot from an ancient chest

The only review on metacritic under an 8 but people are gonna take this as an opportunity to say the game is vastly overrated and how it is truly a 6
It’s pretty absurd that not one single reviewer thinks it’s less than an 8, and that goes for any game with a lot of hype. I realize there is self selection where those who liked the first game will volunteer to review the sequel, but maybe that’s not always a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom