• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter X eSport announced

Aggelos

So the official youtube channel was launched just yesterday, and the site has an "Official Unveil Stream" countdown

"Despite being not yet officially announced, the Virtua Fighter x eSports Project was previously leaked to be Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown for PlayStation 4. In Japan, it is simply titled Virtua Fighter eSports."

f1XpNmS.png
5hq9Chk.png
S4ERbJd.jpg

Last edited:

nbkicker

Surely this has to be a new game or updated a bit, especially considering virtua fighter 5 final showdown is already fully in and playable in yakuza 6, then again this is sega so anything could happen

NT80

Unless it's a new game or a new version of VF5 with a lot of changes for the better I'm not interested.

SSfox

VF4 evo and VF5FS are some of best time and memories in gaming. Yes it's shame Sega ignored VF for a long time but hopefully this will change very soon, please wake up Sega you have incredible franchise stop acting lie morons!!! Anyways looking forward for this game to show up.

MrMephistoX

360's 5 Online revision is still a better game than Final Showdown.

Hoping Ultimate Showdown has the quest mode, good cross-platform lobbies, and rollback netcode.

VF5 is already near perfection.
Yeah I just wish more people played the online who weren’t trolls or like super fabulously unbeatable.

Last edited:

sn0man

Final Showdown on 360 was around 2gb. If inside these 10 additional gb there isn't a full sized offline mode, I'm gonna riot
Yeah a fleshed out offline and quest type of modes is really what I’m hopeful for now. The original 5 games in a larger full retail seems to be not happening now (sadly).

Shut0wen

Jesus whats with that title name x esport wtf, any how ive never played showdown but VF5 was such an underated fighting game and looked amazing in xbox 360 at the time, was my fav fighter until tekken 7

lachesis

I wonder if they are going to do some remaster-esque visual upgrades? Hope they do. At least 4k and some texture updates...

Aggelos

My bet is that the game will use Unreal Engine 4. UE4 has garnered a lot of popularity among Japanese developers, and Sega is one of those that have used it for games like

nbkicker

Really hoping the bring virtua fighter back with a bang , will be annoyed if after all this it gets announced this week and just looks and plays the same as the version in yakuza, im just thinking does sega have the internal studio talent anymore to bring out a fighter to compete with tekken etc

Kazza

Really hoping the bring virtua fighter back with a bang , will be annoyed if after all this it gets announced this week and just looks and plays the same as the version in yakuza

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but it would be strange for Sega to be making such a big fuss over the re-release of a 15 year old game (and one that has already basically been a mini-game in Yakuza). I'm not expecting ray tracing or anything, but I think there must be something extra to this (upgraded graphics, more levels/characters etc). Unless they are going to give it away for free and then make money via DLC...

GrayFoxPL

Really hoping the bring virtua fighter back with a bang , will be annoyed if after all this it gets announced this week and just looks and plays the same as the version in yakuza, im just thinking does sega have the internal studio talent anymore to bring out a fighter to compete with tekken etc
Notion is that it's VF5FS new revision - Ultimate Showdown.

But we can't say it's using new graphic engine or improved one.

My bet it's an improved engine aka faces will look better.

Anyway, it's basically one day away!

My brain messed up dates again. Too hype!

Hype!

head hype GIF

Last edited:

Kazza

I just started playing VF4 Evo on the PS2 for the very first time because of the hype surrounding this announcement. Before that, I had only ever played 1 and 2. I also have 5 for the 360 in my collection, which I haven't properly played yet. Is the difference between 4 and 5 big? They're basically completely different games, right? (like 1, 2, and 3 are very different from each other)

As an aside, I don't think the PS2 controller is great for VF4, but maybe I just got spoiled from playing the arcade VF2 X360 port with my arcade joystick earlier this year.

SkylineRKR

I just started playing VF4 Evo on the PS2 for the very first time because of the hype surrounding this announcement. Before that, I had only ever played 1 and 2. I also have 5 for the 360 in my collection, which I haven't properly played yet. Is the difference between 4 and 5 big? They're basically completely different games, right? (like 1, 2, and 3 are very different from each other)

As an aside, I don't think the PS2 controller is great for VF4, but maybe I just got spoiled from playing the arcade VF2 X360 port with my arcade joystick earlier this year.

I think VF4 Evo was better than vanilla VF5. But others might disagree. Whats a fact though, is that the single player and AI of Evo was far superior to VF5.

FS is divisive, but I personally find it to be the best of the lot. It has easier throw escapes etc. I think its nicer to get into. I loved Jean Kujo's karate and the return of Taka.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, you nailed it.

Series 4 is considered the best by many.

Kazza

I think VF4 Evo was better than vanilla VF5. But others might disagree. Whats a fact though, is that the single player and AI of Evo was far superior to VF5.

FS is divisive, but I personally find it to be the best of the lot. It has easier throw escapes etc. I think its nicer to get into. I loved Jean Kujo's karate and the return of Taka.

I found the AI in the 360 VF2 arcade port really hard, with no discernable difference between Normal and Easy. I could only ever get to the 6th round. Because of that, I started VF4Evo on beginner mode, but it was ridiculously easy, so I'm just going to try Normal next time.

The single player campaign mode where you go from arcade to arcade looks like fun, but for some reason I always get a failure when trying to save. I'm pretty sure there is no problem with my memory card, as other games are saving fine. Ah, talking about memory card problems in 2021, that takes me back!

Yeah, you nailed it.

Series 4 is considered the best by many.

Thanks for the confirmation. I seem to recall hearing someone say once that VF5 is basically just an updated VF4, rather than being an entirely new entry. Good to hear that's not the case.

I'm going to concentrate on getting good with VF4 this year, and will then try VF5 next year.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
As awesome as the Quest modes are I think I'd prefer to have arcade perfect renditions instead of console ports in a compilation. Unless they could somehow combine the assets of the former with the content of the latter in some super definitive edition but I don't see them ever doing that work.

I suppose they could include both arcade and console versions where the content warrants it. VF arcade, VF Remix Saturn, VF2.1 arcade, VF3tb arcade, VF4c arcade, VF4 Evolution PS2 (or is 4 PS2 also warranted, do their Quest modes actually differ a lot?), VF4 Final Tuned arcade, VF5R arcade, VF5 PS3, VF5 Final Showdown arcade, VF5 Online, or similar. It kinda sucks investing all that time in an indeed awesome Quest mode when you're not truly honing your skills for the definitive version of the game as all Quest modes were in games without the final/best updates. Actually I'm not familiar with differences from arcade to console in 5 as I never saw the real deal up close, I just know that 4 is for sure and obviously way downgraded, so I guess they could skip some of the arcade versions for 5 if the consoles are on par and only include those with no console equivalent.

As for 5 eSports/5 Ultimate Showdown, it'd be great if they bothered having a Quest mode but given eSports implies a multiplayer focus it's probably also so people don't expect substantial solo modes and stuff, just as they didn't have any for VF5Online. It would be welcome if they did it for sure.

Last edited:

Miles708

VF4 Evo has a great offline mode, but I feel with VF4 the series was starting to get a little too technical sometimes to a ridiculous degree. For Jacky, for exmple, there were moves in VF4 that changed when you and the opponent had the same foot or the opposite foot forward to the body. It's clearly too much.

They've toned it down a bit in VF5, and I think that's the sweet spot of the series. Frankly, vanilla VF5 is the series' apex in my opinion.

As awesome as the Quest modes are I think I'd prefer to have arcade perfect renditions instead of console ports in a compilation. Unless they could somehow combine the assets of the former with the content of the latter in some super definitive edition but I don't see them ever doing that work.

I think I wouldn't like that. Offline console modes in VF4 and 5 are legit too awesome to ignore.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
I found the AI in the 360 VF2 arcade port really hard, with no discernable difference between Normal and Easy. I could only ever get to the 6th round. Because of that, I started VF4Evo on beginner mode, but it was ridiculously easy, so I'm just going to try Normal next time.

The single player campaign mode where you go from arcade to arcade looks like fun, but for some reason I always get a failure when trying to save. I'm pretty sure there is no problem with my memory card, as other games are saving fine. Ah, talking about memory card problems in 2021, that takes me back!

Thanks for the confirmation. I seem to recall hearing someone say once that VF5 is basically just an updated VF4, rather than being an entirely new entry. Good to hear that's not the case.

I'm going to concentrate on getting good with VF4 this year, and will then try VF5 next year.

VF5 is closer to an improvement to the VF4 series, moreso than 4 is to the previous games.

Compare 4 Evo and 5 Online and it's not a huge difference. Final Showdown would be different enough though. It added characters, gave us worse graphics, and changed the gameplay enough to make it feel faster and make it easier to break out of throws.

If you main Akira like I do, skipping VF5 and going from 4 Evo to Final Showdown is almost insanity to compare. He's still a powerhouse regardless of the game, but now it's easier than ever to put commands in the buffer that execute with faster movements. In VF5 vanilla, it feels like he is slower, but hits harder, similar to 4 Evo.

The offline modes need to make a comeback here. Final Showdown is broken without them. DLC is fine, but not having a quest mode is a bummer. Net code needs to be good for once. I really hope they fix the offline AI too, I honestly feel like they labeled everything wrong in the menu. I can almost take a nap when Final Showdown is on it's hardest setting, and tear through everyone with ease. Do it in Vanilla VF5 and it's like you need to change up your attacks every 2nd or 3rd attempt or you will be countered and demolished.

Miles708

so no new vf just some refresh after so many years? pathethic sega
An offline mode would make it effectively a new game (also all costumes and no ghosting would be nice).
I don't think Sega has enough trust in the game/genre to make a whole new chapter.

sncvsrtoip

An offline mode would make it effectively a new game (also all costumes and no ghosting would be nice).
I don't think Sega has enough trust in the game/genre to make a whole new chapter.
why no trust when fighting game from some years are in renesans (mortal kombat, injustice, dragon ball fighterz etc), if not yakuza series they would be even worse than Konami with wasting potential

Miles708

why no trust when fighting game from some years are in renesans (mortal kombat, injustice, dragon ball fighterz etc), if not yakuza series they would be even worse than Konami with wasting potential
Sega is mismanagement bottled up and made company.
Don't be too mad at them. They're trying.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I love VF3. I started playing it in the arcade at around 1997. But it clearly didn't catch on much. The graphics were phenomenal but everyone just flocked to the Tekken 3 cab further down. I guess Tekken had the cinematics, the oomph, the secret characters etc. I would also play more T3 but I still gave VF3 quite some playtime. Personally I thought it was better than 2. Controversially enough I liked the stages, probably the still the most impressive ones in the saga. The fact they had stairs etc I actually liked since it meant positioning was crucial. We've also seen this in Tekken 4 and DoA2 onward to mixed results. But the gameplay was more forgiving than 2, the damage lower. Matches actually lasted longer than 10 seconds and you could evade to the side. DC port was kind of late (game couldn't help it, it was far ahead of everything available in 1996) and the game wasn't the benchmark for console anymore. On top of that the DC port wasn't even perfect. But its still really close and you have to see it side by side I think. Past entries certainly weren't this close to the arcade. Arguably VF4 vanilla on PS2 wasn't either.

If I'm honest I had more fun with VF3 + arcade stick than with Soul Calibur. Not that SC was bad, but I just didn't enjoy it as much in Vs play. People would pick Nightmare or w/e and mash. I felt VF3 punished this better.

Last edited:

Miles708

The key visual looks so cheap like it's meant for the mobile market. They better not introduce projectiles to satisfy the idiots that complain VF isn't "flashy" enough.
Sadly have to agree. That artwork is very ugly, I hope is not representative of anything

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Wait wait this is news to me.
Source?
It was months ago so i don't remember clearly which site has reported the information. But i saw several people on the internet remembering the same detail:

(it's not the real Yu Suzuki, just a random Sega fan)

We all remember this information because our first reaction was like :

Japan First ? Fuck ! We want a worldwide release goddamit ! ;)

Judgment remastered prepared us for Lost Judgment, i think VF5US will do the same for VFX. (no xbox version for VF5FS since it's already BC)

Last edited:

SSfox

Yeah i remember this Japan first thing, that's what make me worry that this whole leak can be fake. Unless Sega have meanwhile seen the hype in the West and decided to change their plans?

Sadly, I’m expecting a slightly up rez’ed port from the arcade with a few online extras possibly for the home port of this is legitimate. Maybe we’ll get a new mode or two, maybe a new character, but I’m thinking it’s essentially going to be a straight port of the arcade with more emphasis on competitive play. I mean it’s called E-Sports, so that makes me wonder right there. Hopefully I’ll be proven wrong though.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Yeah i remember this Japan first thing, that's what make me worry that this whole leak can be fake. Unless Sega have meanwhile seen the hype in the West and decided to change their plans?
Not necessarily. VF5FS and a new VF could be two (or even more games) separate projects.

SSfox

Not necessarily. VF5FS and a new VF could be two (or even more games) separate projects.
VFesport=vf5ultimateshowdown and that's the game that is meant to be in ps+ next week based the leak.

VF5FS is a 2012 game and VF6 doesn't officially exist.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I think its separate tbh. This seems to be a digital release of the PS3 game, but the initial announcement got a Japan only teaser and everything. Info would be drip feeded, starting in Japan. This release is kind of out of the blue without any info at all. But if this is, its okay. At least we're able to play VF5 on PS5 online. And it seems to come with Plus anyway.

Last edited:

SSfox

It can't be the ps3 game since vf5fs doesn't exist on ps4, there is no VF game on ps4 except vf5us that is suppose to come sometimes in future (could be a week or 6 moths), so if a VF game is meant to be on ps+ next month it can only be vf5us.

Top Bottom