• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster announced by Nightdive Studios. Coming to PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Series S|X, Switch and PC (Steam)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I understand your skepticism but thats exactly what has already been done. The source ports take the BSP structures from the orginal engines and in realtime converts them to polygons allowing for fully 3d enviroments and the ability for mouse aim and looking straight up with zero disortions.

Look up Eduke32 for the build engine port.
Homey that is exactly what I just described to you.

I’m not sure I can have a meaningful exchange with someone demonstrating zero reading comprehension.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Homey that is exactly what I just described to you.

I’m not sure I can have a meaningful exchange with someone demonstrating zero reading comprehension.
This is what you said.
Translate them into a completely different engine that is legitimately polygonal and then the original is magically 3D? What an interesting notion. Why don’t you go play some build engine games in the build engine and use the mouse to look up and down a lot. Just give it a go for a couple hours, tell me how that works out.
Sure sounded like sarcasm to me. Didnt sound like you thought it was doeable seeing as how you used the word "magically".

Why the change in tone? Whats the point in insulting me? I wasnt rude to you at all.

darrylgorn

The trailer didn't show it but they'll definitely be putting vertical look in. The prominent mods that are out there have it and they already implemented it into the Blood remaster.

Last edited:

Dice

This is what you said.

Sure sounded like sarcasm to me. Didnt sound like you thought it was doeable seeing as how you used the word "magically".

Why the change in tone? Whats the point in insulting me? I wasnt rude to you at all.
Bullshit.
This is basically what just went down:

Me: Original fried chicken is not very snackable while driving.

You: Actually, conversion of chicken into bite sized, battered, deep fried pieces would disagree.

Me: The existence of chicken nuggets doesn’t magically mean the original fried chicken is snackable.

You: Actually if you look at chicken nuggets you’ll see they have chopped up chicken to bite size, battered, and fried it allowing for you to eat it while driving. Look up McDonalds for convenient chicken nuggets.

You are literally just describing my point that the original engines are not true 3D. The fact you have to translate them into being 3D is proof that doing so doesn’t magically change the original engines.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Bullshit.

You: Actually, conversion of chicken into bite sized, battered, deep fried pieces would disagree.

Me: The existence of chicken nuggets doesn’t magically mean the original fried chicken is snackable.

You: Actually if you look at chicken nuggets you’ll see they have chopped up chicken to bite size, battered, and fried it allowing for you to eat it while driving. Look up McDonalds for convenient chicken nuggets.
Nevermind I see where the miscommunication happened.
Refer too new post.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Good to know. At some point all DOS games will be remastered by them. Won't be complaining though.

Cool, right after I finally played the original game :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:
Gameplay looks pretty much the same as playing with The Force Engine, so I guess it's not a major remastering treatment.

Force Engine is still probably going to be the best way to play it. I know this footage might be early, or perhaps the trailer was just crappy, but this doesn't look particularly impressive compared to playing it in Force Engine.

CGNoire

Bullshit.

You are literally just describing my point that the original engines are not true 3D. The fact you have to translate them into being 3D is proof that doing so doesn’t magically change the original engines.
I think I see what happened here. You said "on these engines" in your first post. I didnt reaise you meant the OG build engines in "that post" since nightdive ported it to there engine i believe. I was saying they should have converted the BSP. It is true i didnt fully understand what you meant but there was no ill will.

Dice

Translation: "I didnt communicate my point successfully and instead of being an adult and taking responsibility for it I will keep acting like a child even when given an easy out."
No, I used light mocking to cover for you a little bit by giving you a chance to re-read and accept fault instead of specifically demonstrating what a massive idiot you were being, but now because of your pride trying to cover it up by blaming it on me, I will have to really spell it out for you:

Only so much you can do with those old engines. They aren't even real 3D.

What did I say there? Is clear as day.

"They aren't even real 3D"

What did I mean there? Let's break it down further since it was so difficult for you.

"THEY"

Meaning, the thing I was referring to. Which was?

"those old engines."

The immediately preceding object. The only one mentioned in the extremely short statement.

At no point did I refer to the game itself as the object, so translation of the game into different engines is what YOU decided was the object for absolutely no reason at all. I was talking about the original engines the entire time. You doubled down on your change of focus when my post was directing you back by mentioning the engines again.

Edit:
I think I see what happened here. You said "on these engines" in your first post. I didnt reaise you meant the OG build engines in "that post" since nightdive ported it to there engine i believe. I was saying they should have converted the BSP. It is true i didnt fully understand what you meant but there was no ill will.
Yes, don't tell me I don't know how to communicate when you are out here trying to correct people with what they just said because you are making up different context from nothing.

Last edited:

CGNoire

No, I used light mocking to cover for you a little bit by giving you a chance to re-read and accept fault instead of specifically demonstrating what a massive idiot you were being, but now because of your pride trying to cover it up by blaming it on me, I will have to really spell it out for you:

What did I say there? Is clear as day.

"They aren't even real 3D"

What did I mean there? Let's break it down further since it was so difficult for you.

"THEY"

Meaning, the thing I was referring to. Which was?

"those old engines."

The immediately preceding object. The only one mentioned in the extremely short statement.

At no point did I refer to the game itself as the object, so translation of the game into different engines is what YOU decided was the object for absolutely no reason at all. I was talking about the original engines the entire time. You doubled down on your change of focus when my post was directing you back by mentioning the engines again.
I see. Your sarcasm makes it harder to admit my part in this than it should. There no need for you to do that. Im an adult. If I make a mistake and see it I will apologise. You dont need to talk down to me to get me too.

I see you werent talking about the nightdive engine now. You meant the OG one they converted from. I dont think there running on there original engine which is why I missunderstood you. If there not on there original engines then they should at the very least convert the levels to polygons imo.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
For the price there almost certainly gonna charge for this 30 year old game the least they could of done is lisense it. Oh well.
Huh? of course they're gonna charge for it. People don't work for free. I will happily pay.

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I adored this game way back in the 90’s because of the theme and how close to doom it felt. Though when I had a chance to play this a few years ago again, I realized how awful and confusing the levels were and pretty much left this in the past.

Love that nightdive is doing all these 90’s FPS throwbacks, but yeah, people will probably be disappointed by this one.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Cool, I’ll check it out maybe, still waiting on SS2 though.

Couldn't really get into this one, but Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight was amazing with very nice level design, but I'm not sure how well it aged.
It’s been ported to modern systems so you can find out for yourself.

Majormaxxx

DOOM: Star Wars Edition was a pretty good game in it's day. Not sure how well it's gonna play now.

This was the game that introduced Kyle Katarn. He ended being in so many other things that he became an official part of the old EU which was nuked by Disney to non-canon status.
It plays fantastic in the force engine. Replayed a few months ago.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Republic commando was released in 2005, and was released in 2021 so this makes sense, and that’s a top fps game of all time.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I hope they include some sort of navigation system (something akin to Dead Space would be ideal) so you can find your way around. The biggest hurdle of Dark Forces, particulary the first one, was the extreme labrynthian level design.

That trash compacter site or whatever the third stage is called was near impossible to figure out where the hell to go without a guide.

I hope they include some sort of navigation system (something akin to Dead Space would be ideal) so you can find your way around. The biggest hurdle of Dark Forces, particulary the first one, was the extreme labrynthian level design.

That trash compacter site or whatever the third stage is called was near impossible to figure out where the hell to go without a guide.

That level sucks so much. I didn't think the rest were too bad, especially when I replayed it a few years ago (adult vs teenager).

Ben87fr

Happy to see this ! I played it this year on pc with the new port, it was really good, now do Jedi Knight next 👍

The Stig

I liked the game, weapons and presentation but god DAMN some of the levels were so fucking massive and hard to complete. The sewer level in particular.

Perrott

Gold Member
Why not remaster an actual good videogame instead of crap that doesn't hold up?

I don't know, a functional Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines re-release that runs well without the need for community mods would be much welcomed, for example.

sachos

Couldn't really get into this one, but Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight was amazing with very nice level design, but I'm not sure how well it aged.
The GoG version with mods to unlock FPS is already really good, i hope they can remaster it too. It is still a lot of fun.

Lunarorbit

Totally forgot about this. I'm not sure I ever finished dark forces but I loved it as a preteen. Wolfenstein, Doom, and this one were the biggies back then.

I had to wait to play this at a friend's house cause I didn't own a pc until after college

More info that I'll add to the OP:

A remaster of a classic adventure from the Star Wars vault previously announced this summer now has a release date that will sound familiar to those who played the original release. Nightdive Studios and Lucasfilm have announced that Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster will launch February 28, which is 29 years to the day since its original release in 1995.

Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster stars Kyle Katarn, a mercenary who joins the Rebel Alliance's covert ops team, as he takes on the Empire and their secret Dark Trooper project. The game is notable for being the first-ever first-person-shooter in Star Wars history.
The new remaster will support up to 4K resolutions and 120FPS on PC and all consoles except Nintendo Switch. The game will offer modern controller features like rumble and motion controls, as well as trophy and achievement support on PlayStation, Xbox, and Steam.

Dark Forces Remaster is the latest remaster project from Nightdive Studios, which also recently released the System Shock remaster and will soon launch a new version of Turok 3. Dark Forces joins the company's 2024 lineup, which also includes an updated version of System Shock 2.

Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster launches February 28 for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

Deerock71

Scruffy looking nerf herder.
FTFY
Harrison Ford GIF by Star Wars

I'll buy anything done by Night Dive. They understand how to remaster games. I never feel ripped off or like PC modders have a vastly better experience.

Oh and Fuck Konami

Top Bottom