• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Dark Forces Remaster announced by Nightdive Studios. Coming to PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Series S|X, Switch and PC (Steam)

Fake

Expensive as the Rise of the Triad remastered with is not good.

And they already drop the support from that game, so this time I'll wait on discount.

Fake

I really wish to support ND studios, but the way they quickly drop update/patch for Rise of the Triad was unacceptable.

The game don't even save your input biding with I find insulting.

Yerd

I was excited until I saw it's still using sprite assets. I don't care about these old style shooters. I played them back then and the industry updated that style.

I wish they did a full overhaul of assets. No interest with this kind of remaster. Making a square in the highest of definitions doesn't make it look any more square.

YCoCg

The Series S version being the same 1080p as the Switch is a bit ridiculous when its like 8-9 times more powerful. It shoulfd of been the same 4k as the XSX and PS5.
Isn't the Series S capped at 1440p? I don't think I've seen anything on that system go beyond that, Night Dive probably thought that there isn't much use when most just use 1080p on that platform.

Ozzie666

Haven't played this since the week of release, so nearly 28 years. Looking forward to it and I can barely remember any of it. I recently played through Shadows of the Empire, warts and all. I recall Dark Forces being pretty good for a doom clone.

Dazraell

Welp, I was meaning to buy it, but that launch price is way too much for what we're getting. Will wait until sales

Last edited:

Allandor

Well, I actually expected 3d objects instead of sprites. I love this game but I hoped for a bit more modernization.
Also the thing with the fps bound gameplay, really hoped they would fix this. Well at least now the game is playable on consoles, but 30€ ....

Ulysses 31

Some cheap ass motherfuckers on here. Jesus :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Bro, I bought the limited edition a few years back. :messenger_winking_tongue:

DARKFORCES.png

Not in a rush to get this version unless it gets some killer collector's edition.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Bro, I bought the limited edition a few years back. :messenger_winking_tongue:

DARKFORCES.png

Not in a rush to get this version unless it gets some killer collector's edition.

Ill buy the posters off of you

I wanna tape em on my ceiling so the chicks have something to look at while I fingerbang them

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

phant0m

Well, I actually expected 3d objects instead of sprites. I love this game but I hoped for a bit more modernization.
Also the thing with the fps bound gameplay, really hoped they would fix this. Well at least now the game is playable on consoles, but 30€ ....
yeah not paying $30 for a remaster like this

if it was full-bore remake like SS1 I'd be in but I'm definitely waiting for this to hit $10.

StereoVsn

yeah not paying $30 for a remaster like this

if it was full-bore remake like SS1 I'd be in but I'm definitely waiting for this to hit $10.
Yep, SS1 was a remake done right and for the right price. Quake releases for $10 each were great. Tomb Raider trilogy for $30 was a good price.

This one with barely any changes and $30 asking price feels like it’s too much and I loved Dark Forces back then. I will wait till it’s $10-15 before picking the game up.

Never heard of it. It looks like Doom meets Star Wars. I'll probably take a pass on this one.
That is quite literally what it was, a Star Wars game cashing in on the popularity of Doom at that time

But it introduced us to Kyle Katarn before Jedification and Mecha-Stormtroopers so it was a pretty good game even though yes it was a Doom-alike

Guilty_AI

Big nope. You can just buy the OG for $2 during a sale and use The Force Engine mod to get pretty much this same remaster

EDIT: The mod even seems to have better 3D rendering than what was shown on the remaster trailer. Only get this remaster if you can't or don't want to play it on PC.

Last edited:

violence

Looking forward to this. This game was important to me in my youth. At the time I thought Star Wars plus doom was an idea that couldn’t ever be topped.😆 I know some people want an unreal 5 version of this, but I think redoing retro games with super Hi-Rez 2d art is pretty rad (StarCraft remastered) and more unique.

Last edited:

phant0m

Big nope. You can just buy the OG for $2 during a sale and use The Force Engine mod to get pretty much this same remaster

EDIT: The mod even seems to have better 3D rendering than what was shown on the remaster trailer. Only get this remaster if you can't or don't want to play it on PC.

once again the modding community produces better results than professional devs.

/sigh

The assets are upscaled in the remaster and all the cutscenes are completely remade, you can clearly see this in the DF video

I would have liked an orchestral OST. Not a fan of MIDI to be honest.

Guilty_AI

The assets are upscaled in the remaster and all the cutscenes are completely remade, you can clearly see this in the DF video
Still feel like marginal improvements, a game like this will look good even with the OG textures. Some may even feel the upscaled assets are uncanny (i see many complaining about this with upscaled DOOM assets).

In the end the main attractors are mouse-look and high-res widescreen support. And i'm still curious to see how the remaster does the 3D rendering since in a few moments of the trailer it seems like the game isn't handling vertical look well. From my tests, the mod i posted isn't even FPS bound like the remaster.

Last edited:

Demigod Mac

Dark Forces uses LucasArts' iMuse system to dynamically adjust the music depending on the in game action, hence the continued use of MIDI.
Interestingly, Night Dive didn't have the full source code for this, so they had to do some workarounds.

Guilty_AI

Dark Forces uses LucasArts' iMuse system to dynamically adjust the music depending on the in game action, hence the continued use of MIDI.
Interestingly, Night Dive didn't have the full source code for this, so they had to do some workarounds.
There was the option to use different soundfonts however

EDIT: Ooops, seem they did add different soundfonts. Just not the one in the video it seems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom