• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter X eSport announced

ITsameBS

Neo Member
If you are using WIFI, you are screwed (didn't realize I needed to select lan line on PS5), constant drops. Direct connection (470 down, 23 upload), it is a lot better.

SEGA_2012

Played the game for some hours. My opinion:

-The characters are strange here, some of them looks like random npc characters from Yakuza. Eileen looks like some random girl from a Yakuza side story, Lei-Fei looks like some random street thug.
-The menu songs are the worst i remember hearing in a SEGA game.
-The gameplay is fun as always.
-No big problems with the netcode so far.

Wonko_C

I've always super sucked at this series and I've played since the first one. I don't know if it's because I'm conditioned to 2D fighting mechanics or what, but I tend to play defensively, waiting for my "turn" after the opponent finishes their combo strings, but it seems like everything is just plus on block or something, I just end up losing to my friends who are new to the game and all they do is button mash the same five attacks. I try to sidestep and counter but their punches come out first always.

I've seen tutorials, played training a lot, but still don't have an effective way to deal with random mashing.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
I've always super sucked at this series and I've played since the first one. I don't know if it's because I'm conditioned to 2D fighting mechanics or what, but I tend to play defensively, waiting for my "turn" after the opponent finishes their combo strings, but it seems like everything is just plus on block or something, I just end up losing to my friends who are new to the game and all they do is button mash the same five attacks. I try to sidestep and counter but their punches come out first always.

I've seen tutorials, played training a lot, but still don't have an effective way to deal with random mashing.
It also doesn't help that any combo or command throw that's worth landing is impossible to connect against anyone.

Last edited:

ITsameBS

Neo Member
Best way to learn VF is to play through all the characters until you choose the one you like. EVERY character has a chance to win (NO TIER LIST) Then go through the tutorial over and over to learn mechanics, then move sets for your chosen character. Watch high level play of your character, you will start to notice things and then practice and use the things you see in your matches. Once you got that, you can develop your own style. Once you get there, you will LOVE the game. It is all about how much you put into the game.

JTCx

They are not plus on block. You either are 1) too slow to follow up or 2) your follow up attack has too slow startup. If you dont know what attacks to enforce then hit them with P or 2P. If they are mashing 2P on you then you can use any elbow class moves to take your turn back. You can try to sidestep but its mostly useful on moves with slow whiff recovery. Learn which moves your character has that can force abare so you can get a nice CH if they start mashing.

If you need more indepth knowledge or have anymore questions drop me a pm.

Last edited:

SSfox

I'm 3rd best Shun in Europe/Africa
images

(and still working 8 hours per day this week lol)

E2-z5hZWUAI6l6w

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

2D fighting games use frame advantage just as much as VF. If they're truly button mashing then dealing with that should be trivial because their actions are entirely predictable and thus able to be countered. Learn what your fastest startup moves are and use those to punish on block. Make some space so that they whiff, and then whiff punish accordingly. Block/sidestep an easily telegraphed move and then throw them.

Either your friends are actually better than you give them credit for, or you're really mishandling your approach here.

MrMephistoX

I haven’t had any net code issues but then again I’m on Fiber with a mesh router setup for WiFi. I had a blast yesterday with my girl Pai In casual matches. I just wish they would allow the goofy ass VF1 models in the online: I hope they start doing more weird ass DLC starting with VF2 - VF4 skins and stages. This could turn into something really cool if they keep it F2P and just supplement with $10 DLC packs. I do kind of want to learn KAGE and Lau too.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
On Era:

"
https://www.linkedin.com/in/netp-kpocc6akkh/
I just noticed..
the guy who recently joined AM2 last year as a part of the engine team for an anticipated title in the esports field is nowhere to be found in VF5US Credits!

VF6??? "

New engine for VF6 and the next Yakuza (After lost judgment).

Ho ho ho

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I can't say enough how great this game is. Been absolutely loving playing online. I played 3 hours last night and it felt like 10 minutes.

I honestly forgot how unique and deep Virtua Fighter was. Been playing since the first 1, but haven't really touched the series in a very long time.

The $10 DLC is totally worth it by the way. You get a ton of costume and outfit stuff. Considering the game was free, I didn't regret showing Sega some support.

SSfox

The netplay and matchmaking of VF5US is dogturd, the core game is pure diamond but playing the game online feels like a waste of time and not worth it, i won't go back play VF5US online unless Sega fix their sh1t.

Last edited:

Miles708

The netplay and matchmaking the VF5US is dogturd, the core game is pure diamond but playing the game online feels like a waste of time and not worth it, i won't go back play VF5US online unless Sega fix their sh1t.
Sadly i have too agree.
Also, player matches are filled with private lobbies or people who disconnect as soon as I enter. Quite frankly, people online are kinda assholes. I forgot about it.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Sadly i have too agree.
Also, player matches are filled with private lobbies or people who disconnect as soon as I enter. Quite frankly, people online are kinda assholes. I forgot about it.
Unfortunately the achievements they put in the game encourage a lot of online boosting (hosting fake online matches to pad an arbitrary such as 300 room matches.) What's funny about though is knowing sega most of those trophies are glitched.

Miles708

Unfortunately the achievements they put in the game encourage a lot of online boosting (hosting fake online matches to pad an arbitrary such as 300 room matches.) What's funny about though is knowing sega most of those trophies are glitched.

Rotfl that's so Sega

Green_Eyes

The netplay and matchmaking of VF5US is dogturd, the core game is pure diamond but playing the game online feels like a waste of time and not worth it, i won't go back play VF5US online unless Sega fix their sh1t.
Yeah I haven't been back since my first day online, it's just sad...

Enjay

Banned
All the trend streamers sega paid to play seemed to have dropped it too. 😂

It's always funny to see when a new fighting game comes out how the fgc influencers always have the game weeks in advance and put out content trying to become "the [soul calibur vi, samurai shodown, now virtua fighter] guy" on the internet only for them to cease playing it when they drop and flop.

Last edited:
All the trend streamers sega paid to play seemed to have dropped it too. 😂

It's always funny to see when a new fighting game comes out how the fgc influencers always have the game weeks in advance and put out content trying to become "the [soul calibur vi, samurai shodown, now virtua fighter] guy" on the internet only for them to cease playing it when they drop and flop.
I think it just bad timing due to Guilty Gear Strive releasing.

I am definitely getting this but would greatly prefer a PC release. I hope they can add more modes and restore post knock out jumping attacks at some point.

Last edited:
Nah, my connections are solid on wifi. Rollback is overrated. More than half of the implementations end up shit anyways.

Last edited:

SNG32

I am definitely getting this but would greatly prefer a PC release. I hope they can add more modes and restore post knock out jumping attacks at some point.
You can play it on PC through PS NOW or you can play the Arcade Version through the emulator TecknoParrot.

Last edited:

Miles708

I didn't play this in quite a bit but I think jumping attacks on knocked out enemies are still there. They have kind of a weird timing, though.

I didn't play this in quite a bit but I think jumping attacks on knocked out enemies are still there. They have kind of a weird timing, though.
They are not in my experience, but I am happy that the window for jumping attacks during the match after knock down was widened from Final Showdown. However, I have been jumping on opponents with Lau post K.O. since VF1 so victory feels hollow in this one. I keep coming back to 5 vanilla for it. Can't say I am completely happy with the change to the throw system since FS either, but that one I can live with. Still can't make up my mind about sideturned state.

Otherwise, I find this release well worth playing.

P.S. If I just wanted to play an inferior version of Virtua Fighter 5 on PC, I would just get Yakuza Kiwami 2 and check out the standalone mod for Final Showdown. Emulation and streaming are infinitely worse than that.

Last edited:
SEGA should have released this game on every platforms with crossplay and rollback.

Why this company loves to fuck up things so much............
Speaking of fucking up... They made the Yakuza costumes like VF1 costumes (so they cannot be customized and most of them look fucking stupid by default). Apart from that they only added costume D and two new hairstyles in this DLC. I took that bait hook, line, and sinker. I am so ticked off I am just going to need a week before I can boot up the game without being pissed off. Monkey's paw strikes again.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Speaking of fucking up... They made the Yakuza costumes like VF1 costumes (so they cannot be customized and most of them look fucking stupid by default). Apart from that they only added costume D and two new hairstyles in this DLC. I took that bait hook, line, and sinker. I am so ticked off I am just going to need a week before I can boot up the game without being pissed off. Monkey's paw strikes again.
Yeah, I was expecting to finally do some of my old custom looks but nope. It's honestly kind of pathetic how they've handled this.

This game just keeps getting more disappointing.

This is downright insulting to me as I used to love Tekken before 7 shit the bed and despite my purchase of every prior DLC and entry of Virtua Fighter, SEGA seems completely uninterested in porting any proper standalone version of modern Virtua Fighter to PC. Hope this DLC abomination cost more to make than they make off it. I want more Virtua Fighter not whatever this is.

cireza

This is downright insulting to me as I used to love Tekken before 7 shit the bed and despite my purchase of every prior DLC and entry of Virtua Fighter, SEGA seems completely uninterested in porting any proper standalone version of modern Virtua Fighter to PC. Hope this DLC abomination cost more to make than they make off it. I want more Virtua Fighter not whatever this is.

Can't stand seeing this legendary series reduced to prostitution with Tekken skins.

SSfox

While it's not the kind of stuff i want to see the most in this game, and putting this aside, they should have tried to make the most important thing before anything to this game, which is fixing netcode, so the game can actually be "playable"

Keihart

Acting as if the Arcade version of VF5 isnt littered with amounts of custom shit only comparable to DOA

Last edited:

yurinka

After leading the legendary Tekken series to its current sorry state I would be content knowing he had no influence on Virtua Fighter.
Tekken 7 is close to become the best selling Tekken game ever. Which also means to be best selling Japanese fighting game ever. Only a handful MK games -like the 2 most recent ones- are above that.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
If you have a problem with more content being added to a game because who could have associated with it, you have a problem...

Tekken 7 is close to become the best selling Tekken game ever. Which also means to be best selling Japanese fighting game ever. Only a handful MK games -like the 2 most recent ones- are above that.
I do not care if Tekken 7 is the Justin Beaver of Tekken. The quality and skill of legend is gone.

Then who? The AM2 studio is likely different in its staff than nearly a decade ago when they worked on Final Showdown. At least RGGS studio got it's feet wet with the semi-recent release of Ultimate Showdown.

Last edited:

yurinka

I do not care if Tekken 7 is the Justin Beaver of Tekken. The quality and skill of legend is gone.
Now I'm imagining Harada cosplayed as Justin Beaver singing his songs in a karaoke xDDD

Then who? The AM2 studio is likely different in its staff than nearly a decade ago when they worked on Final Showdown. At least RGGS studio got it's feet wet with the semi-recent release of Ultimate Showdown.
AM2 games were from eons ago, I assume most people probably are somwhere else or probably retired. I assume the most logical thing for VF6 would be to leave it to RGGS, and maybe to bring back a handful of VF 'key' people who could be still in Sega or still active mostly for PR purposes.

Sega said that a big part of their future is to bring back old IPs and I bet Ultimate Showdown is only to warm up before VF6. This generation main main fighting game series or studios achieving their best sales ever or almost thanks to thier GaaS focus providing periodically fresh stuff like new content like more characters or stages plus new features, gameplay rebalancing ormechanics etc, multiplying its effect via online multiplayer, eSports and video streaming.

I think it's a very good opportunity and the right time to make VF6 and I'm very confident Sega could do a great job.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
AM2 or RGGS doesn't matter.
Only Katagiri does... If he manages the project, it will be a true Virtua Fighter.

Top Bottom