• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter eSports for PlayStation 4 added to PlayStation Store in Japan

GrayFoxPL

Virtua Fighter series is still THE definitive 3d fighter...you can have your Tekkens but Virtua Fighter was the game-changer
Arrested Development Tobias GIF

GrayFoxPL

It's also the only remaining example of a no-bullshit fighting game. No super, no bars, no instakills. You want to win? Get good.
It took Tekken 12 iterations to get supers at low health. I was against it, but I could not do shit about it. I lost. Scrubs like it and at this point hi-level players hardly ever use it. Because you miss it, you are dead. Guaranteed.

So I thought it is smart way to get scrubs on board, without ruining the game for pros. Game is still dominated by high level players. I would make different Tekken, but whatever.

If it gets me Tekken 8. 7 million T7 makes it guaranteed.

VF5 won't have comeback mechanics. Probably...maybe.

Last edited:

NT80

Can elaborate what has changed between VF5R and FS?

I didn't play VF5R(like most of ppl here) but I'm fascinated about changes between versions. I've noticed Jean had different double kicks to the head.
I never played VF5R either but R didn't make such fundamental changes going from VF5, rather they improved on it. VF5FS watered down the throw system (a really big part of VF) the movement/ sidestep system changed, moved things more toward higher risk/reward among other things. I don't know all the characters but it seems they stripped down the movesets too. I remember Reno on VFDC really not liking what they'd taken from Taka and my own character Brad had several stances and movement options removed. He was reworked to be easier. They were trying to make the game more accessible and while it is it's also less interesting. Every high level player I've asked has said VF5R was the best of the VF5 games.

This is why I'm hoping for some big changes from Ultimate Showdown.

SSfox

I don't expect big mechanics changes for VF5US, tho i don't mind it much as long as the mechanics are interesting, maybe some new moves at best, hard to say it's Sega so i rather keep my expectation as low as possible.

GrayFoxPL

I never played VF5R either but R didn't make such fundamental changes going from VF5, rather they improved on it. VF5FS watered down the throw system (a really big part of VF) the movement/ sidestep system changed, moved things more toward higher risk/reward among other things. I don't know all the characters but it seems they stripped down the movesets too. I remember Reno on VFDC really not liking what they'd taken from Taka and my own character Brad had several stances and movement options removed. He was reworked to be easier. They were trying to make the game more accessible and while it is it's also less interesting. Every high level player I've asked has said VF5R was the best of the VF5 games.

This is why I'm hoping for some big changes from Ultimate Showdown.
Yeah, throw system was a big thing. I could throw break because earlier window allowed multiple throw breaks. Now it's just luck and I can't guess, because you might think they want throw into wall yet allas...

I always get pissed the most at stripped down the movesets. Brad, yeah, he had double stances. Shame.

Well, lets hope this will be different.
I am just happy the IP is alive.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned
I love Virtua Fighter but fighting games nowadays have become such gaas disasters that I kinda hope not having a new vf at all, just to avoid my heart breaking.

Gimme 8 characters and a load of offline modes. Screw online and everyone who buys dlcs, i hate you all, you ruined this for me.

/rant
Filthy casual.
/jk
Seriously, people who think DLC is a problem on fighting games need to properly understand the reason behind it.
The core of the fighting game is the character roster. Every time you add one into the mix the meta changes, there are balancing adjustments and the games keep evolving. If DLC made one genre better, it was the fighting games genre.

It keeps games going for a lot longer and communities alive for a long time because of it.

And they are at their peak audiences and prizes now, so no disaster at all.
The only problem we still had was netplay and it looks like Guilty Gear Strive will set the bar for netcode from now on, hopefully every dev will match it.

kunonabi

Yeah, throw system was a big thing. I could throw break because earlier window allowed multiple throw breaks. Now it's just luck and I can't guess, because you might think they want throw into wall yet allas...

I always get pissed the most at stripped down the movesets. Brad, yeah, he had double stances. Shame.

Well, lets hope this will be different.
I am just happy the IP is alive.

yeah I wasn't fan of how VF5 ended up either. I'd be much more excited for a home port of VF4: Final Tuned.

NT80

The level of frustration of not having VF4FT on console back then... HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...., it remind me how Sega can be some of the biggest morons ever.
VF4 Evo got pretty big in my area for gathering sessions, arcade play and tournaments. There was excitement over VF4FT but when it became clear it wasn't coming out it died out. That was the big difference with fighting games. A community could live or die by whether a game got released on console or not. While we did eventually get an arcade of FT it was too late by then and it wasn't the same. A lot of us didn't see each other again until VF5.

Do you prefer buying the same game 4 times on a generation, every time it gets an update? which not only ends up being more costly for those who buy it since the first one, but also killing the player base with each release if the game it's not super popular already.
Buying the same game 3 or 4 times normally seems around the same, if not cheaper in the long run. DLC is normally ridiculously overpriced especially if you try to get everything it offers over the years. For example, most of the times a pack of characters or costumes can cost fairly close to the full game’s price.

Last edited:

Keihart

Buying the same game 3 or 4 times normally seems cheaper in the long run. DLC is normally ridiculously overpriced especially if you try to get everything it offers over the years. For example, most of the times a pack of characters or costumes can cost fairly close to the full game’s price.
Most season passes are priced between 20-25, thats a year of content. The argument could be done for those midway re releases that Arc Systems used to do that were 50 instead of 60, like the extend versions of Blazblue.
SFV and Tekken 7 last season passes are around the 20 bucks mark, which its way cheaper than what you would get with yearly releases, sometimes you get 2 seasons in a year, that would still be under 60 most of the time.

Even then, its rarely cheaper unless you buy years down the road a "complete" edition like Championship edition or something similar. The biggest problem it's not price in my eyes, it's the player base.
Fighting games live and die by it's community, the draw it's to play against other people and for that you can't be re releasing the game every other year. You end up with very little people playing at the end.

Having a base version that's gonna be online ready for the full lifespan of the game it's a priority i think.

I’m definitely happy to see Virtua Fighter make a return and will support it, but after all these years I wish we could of saw a brand new VF6 from ground up. Also, what does E-Sports mean or it exactly? Not sure if that’s good for VF5.

kyoji

The unannounced Virtua Fighter eSports for PlayStation 4 has been added to PlayStation Store in Japan with the ID CUSA20138. The listing is not yet publicly available.

The listing includes the following icon and background image:

VF-eSports_04-21-21_001.png

VF-eSports_04-21-21_002.jpg

(Click the above image to view full size)

It is unknown whether Virtua Fighter eSports is the unannounced previously rated Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown, which was recently rated for PlayStation 4 in Korea.

Thanks, @PSNrelease2.

Update 9:55 a.m.: These projects are likely one in the same. The Korean rating for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown lists the original title as Virtua Fighter eSports.

Update 10:08 a.m.: Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown was also added to the PlayStation Store in Asia with the ID CUSA27067. It has the same icon and image, but a different title.

VF-eSports_04-21-21_003.png

54WUXxH.jpg
Rr2kGeW.jpg

ITsameBS

Neo Member
I am going to guess visual upgrade, seems like something SEGA has been up to recently with other titles. Maybe a new character and move set. But why ps4? Odd it would be 5 and X.

Most season passes are priced between 20-25, thats a year of content. The argument could be done for those midway re releases that Arc Systems used to do that were 50 instead of 60, like the extend versions of Blazblue.
SFV and Tekken 7 last season passes are around the 20 bucks mark, which its way cheaper than what you would get with yearly releases, sometimes you get 2 seasons in a year, that would still be under 60 most of the time.

Even then, its rarely cheaper unless you buy years down the road a "complete" edition like Championship edition or something similar. The biggest problem it's not price in my eyes, it's the player base.
Fighting games live and die by it's community, the draw it's to play against other people and for that you can't be re releasing the game every other year. You end up with very little people playing at the end.

Having a base version that's gonna be online ready for the full lifespan of the game it's a priority i think.
Valid points, but I still think the pricing on some fighting game’s DLC could definitely be better. I guess what annoys me the most about constant DLC is the fact that they will milk it until the game for years which inevitably holds the sequel’s release dates.

Sure, it brings a few people back to the game and keeps it lively for a little while, but I rather see them put their resources, effort and budget into newer games in a shorter time frame. Then again, I don’t like GAAS and think they are not necessarily good for fighting games.

Keihart

Valid points, but I still think the pricing on some fighting game’s DLC could definitely be better. I guess what annoys me the most about constant DLC is the fact that they will milk it until the game for years which inevitably holds the sequel’s release dates.

Sure, it brings a few people back to the game and keeps it lively for a little while, but I rather see them put their resources, effort and budget into newer games in a shorter time frame. Then again, I don’t like GAAS and think they are not necessarily good for fighting games.
Tekken's popularity today would the proof that's in the pudding, Never ever before, has tekken had a bigger comunity or sold as many copies as in T7 once it adopted the season passes system.
Let's not forget how many fighting games were about to die not too long ago, after trying to keep pushing the re releases models. Now that most fighting games have adopted season passes to keep them lively, they are making a strong comeback.

Last edited:
Tekken's popularity today would the proof that's in the pudding, Never ever before, has tekken had a bigger comunity or sold as many copies as in T7 once it adopted the season passes system.
Let's not forget how many fighting games were about to die not too long ago, after trying to keep pushing the re releases models. Now that most fighting games have adopted season passes to keep them lively, they are making a strong comeback.
It does help certain, more popular fighters, but it also can make the wait for games like Tekken 8 and SF6 agonizing as well. A handful of fighting games do benefit from season passes like Smash or Mortal Kombat admittedly. I understand why they do it, but it still can be a bit annoying when you are finally ready to move on to the next installment. Again, DLC can definitely keep the game lively especially when executed correctly though, so it can have it’s positives.

Last edited:

Sega will host the Virtua Fighter x eSports Project Official Announcement live stream on May 27 at 20:00 JST on the newly launched Virtua Fighter YouTube channel, the company announced.

A teaser website counting down to the announcement was also launched.

Despite being not yet officially announced, the Virtua Fighter x eSports Project was previously leaked to be Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown for PlayStation 4. In Japan, it is simply titled Virtua Fighter eSports.

Top Bottom