• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter eSports for PlayStation 4 added to PlayStation Store in Japan

UPDATE!! (Teaser website and countdown to official announcement livestream)

------

The unannounced Virtua Fighter eSports for PlayStation 4 has been added to PlayStation Store in Japan with the ID CUSA20138. The listing is not yet publicly available.

The listing includes the following icon and background image:

VF-eSports_04-21-21_001.png

VF-eSports_04-21-21_002.jpg

(Click the above image to view full size)

It is unknown whether Virtua Fighter eSports is the unannounced previously rated Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown, which was recently rated for PlayStation 4 in Korea.

Thanks, @PSNrelease2.

Update 9:55 a.m.: These projects are likely one in the same. The Korean rating for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown lists the original title as Virtua Fighter eSports.

Update 10:08 a.m.: Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown was also added to the PlayStation Store in Asia with the ID CUSA27067. It has the same icon and image, but a different title.

VF-eSports_04-21-21_003.png

Last edited:

stn

I'll get it just to show support, but I'll be bummed if its just Final Showdown with a different name.

GrayFoxPL

I love Virtua Fighter but fighting games nowadays have become such gaas disasters that I kinda hope not having a new vf at all, just to avoid my heart breaking.

Gimme 8 characters and a load of offline modes. Screw online and everyone who buys dlcs, i hate you all, you ruined this for me.

/rant
What do you mean 8 characters?

This is either strait port of VF5FS or new version(balance) of VF5FS.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I love Virtua Fighter but fighting games nowadays have become such gaas disasters that I kinda hope not having a new vf at all, just to avoid my heart breaking.

It's VF. You just need one fighter. The one you know. No need to buy any others. Just give me Jacky and I'm fine.

Miles708

What do you mean 8 characters?

This is either strait port of VF5FS or new version(balance) of VF5FS.

Every fighter needs dozens of characters, because reasons. Also, they need dozens and dozens more to be drip-fed during months and years after launch, always because reasons.
It's crap.

They still churning out dlc characters for Granblue Fantasy Versus, for crying out loud.

If VF wants to compete, that's the only way forward and it's garbage. I love fighting games but the economy around them is everything wrong with the world.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Every fighter needs dozens of characters, because reasons. Also, they need dozens and dozens more to be drip-fed during months and years after launch, always because reasons.
It's crap.

They still churning out dlc characters for Granblue Fantasy Versus, for crying out loud.

If VF wants to compete, that's the only way forward and it's garbage. I love fighting games but the economy around them is everything wrong with the world.

But that's not VF. Especially with something targeting the competitive scene like this, the hardcore players just need their main. At most I could see a couple of DoA fighters coming over (like in DoA5 that had VF characters).

GrayFoxPL

It's crap.

That's the reality.

Miles708

But that's not VF. Especially with something targeting the competitive scene like this, the hardcore players just need their main. At most I could see a couple of DoA fighters coming over (like in DoA5 that had VF characters).

Yeah that's one glimmer of hope I guess.
That, and the inability from Sega to support long term anything. I kinda count on that honestly.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The unannounced Virtua Fighter eSports for PlayStation 4 has been added to PlayStation Store in Japan with the ID CUSA20138. The listing is not yet publicly available.

The listing includes the following icon and background image:

VF-eSports_04-21-21_001.png

VF-eSports_04-21-21_002.jpg

It is unknown whether Virtua Fighter eSports is the unannounced previously rated Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown, which was recently rated for PlayStation 4 in Korea.

Thanks, @PSNrelease2.

Update 9:55 a.m.: These projects are likely one in the same. The Korean rating for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown lists the original title as Virtua Fighter eSports.

Update 10:08 a.m.: Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown was also added to the PlayStation Store in Asia with the ID CUSA27067. It has the same icon and image, but a different title.

VF-eSports_04-21-21_003.png

Waiting for its trailers.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Official art works from VF5FS were much more detailed. Could be target ingame renders.

Fat Frog

So these are new character models?
No it's a theory. Art is different and not very detailed for a Artwork.

VF5 had very sharp artworks and a few enhanced ingame models
for alternative arts.

VirtuaFighter5_PS3_JP_SSTitle_RPCS3.png

virtua-fighter-5-final-showdown---button-1550186955797.jpg

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
If they went to the trouble to make new models for 20 characters/stages and rebalance it on top they might as well call it Virtua Fighter 6 or something different altogether like straight up Virtua Fighter or with a subtitle rather than undersell all that work into sounding like a further tweaked 5 FS.

Maybe temper your expectations some of you, lol. Then if something like that happens you can be pleasantly surprised. I'm just sad we probably aren't getting a Quest mode (even if it was just as in 5 before Online/FS abandoned it without substantial additions) given the esports focus, oh well.

It's still beautiful, even playing the downgraded last gen port in Yakuza which runs in 720p doesn't stand out like an eyesore, bumping up the real arcade version to 4K would be more than enough to modernise its 2006 roots and make it look current gen, the latest fighting games don't do more.

And what's this about 8 fighters, VF2 had 10, 3 had 13, 4 had 16 and even if this edition doesn't add any (Final Showdown didn't add any but R before it added Jean) there's 20 already, why would they remove any? A sequel may remove some (Goh, Brad and Jean please) but not a 5FS update.

Last edited:

Keihart

So it's a new version of 5 to test the waters, i'm ok with that.
From Final showdown to Ultimate Showdown.

Now get the trailer out, shit already leaked.

Keihart

It's crap.

Do you prefer buying the same game 4 times on a generation, every time it gets an update? which not only ends up being more costly for those who buy it since the first one, but also killing the player base with each release if the game it's not super popular already.

Holammer

Gimme 8 characters and a load of offline modes. Screw online and everyone who buys dlcs, i hate you all, you ruined this for me.

/rant
I'm with you, but we're not the market anymore. E-sports, streamers/influencers and milking the engorged teats of whales is what's hot nowadays.

GIGCX7C.gif

Miles708

Do you prefer buying the same game 4 times on a generation, every time it gets an update? which not only ends up being more costly for those who buy it since the first one, but also killing the player base with each release if the game it's not super popular already.

What I'm about to say may sound outrageous but: make less games.
You don't need 4 versions of the same game, just as you don't need loads of crap dlc characters you'll maybe use once anyway.

The only way to keep players engaged is to hang new content constantly in front of their noses. I despise that.

Make one game. Pack it with offline and relevant content (like Virtua Fighter 4 or 5 brilliantly did). Take my money. End of the story.

As soon as a game has an online mode, somehow it must have seasons, packs, bonuses and roadmaps. I can't anymore, i hate it all .

Well, maybe. More and more i think it will be somehow remade from a graphic point of view.
Make sure to click the background image in the OP to view full size. You can definitely see more detail on Akira. The other characters not as much because of the color gradient.

Last edited:

cireza

I have been playing Virtua Fighter 5 on 360 for years, and the game has been BC on Xbox One and Series for years as well.

Pointless.

Fat Frog

Make sure to click the background image in the OP to view full size. You can definitely see more detail on Akira. The other characters not as much because of the color gradient.
Well, probably. The thing is art is now different. (previous Artworks, high details or not were in line with in game artart. Now it's really different. Especially Vanessa.)

This Ultimate VF5 could be as ultimate as DOA Ultimate (graphical enhancement)

Last edited:

Keihart

What I'm about to say may sound outrageous but: make less games.
You don't need 4 versions of the same game, just as you don't need loads of crap dlc characters you'll maybe use once anyway.

The only way to keep players engaged is to hang new content constantly in front of their noses. I despise that.

Make one game. Pack it with offline and relevant content (like Virtua Fighter 4 or 5 brilliantly did). Take my money. End of the story.

As soon as a game has an online mode, somehow it must have seasons, packs, bonuses and roadmaps. I can't anymore, i hate it all .
I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that then you have never being a regular at arcades?
Do you have any clue how many versions of SF2, SF3, GGXX and Blazblue are there? Fighting games have always had many versions to refine it while adding content, the multiple versions were just a reflection of how it used to be done in arcades, the alternative was having the game exclusive to arcades until it was "ready" for console launch, like Tekken used to roll.

So if you want the complete version, then pretend the game hasn't leave arcades yet and wait for it to be dumped for the next entry and then buy. Since you don't play online or at arcades, there is no difference for you.

Well, probably. The thing is art is now different. (previous Artworks, high details or not were in line with in game artart. Now it's really different. Especially Vanessa.)

This Ultimate VF5 could be as ultimate as DOA Ultimate (graphical enhancement)
I think you were mistaken about this new artwork being of lesser quality. However, I do think this new version of Virtua Fighter 5 will look better, as in remastered if I had to guess.

Fat Frog

Well, i sai
I think you were mistaken about this new artwork being of lesser quality. However, I do think this new version of Virtua Fighter 5 will look better, as in remastered if I had to guess.
Well, i said "probably" (i thought more about this kind of art to be more specific, mixed to make a wallpaper) but whatever. My point is that the art change could announce graphics update. (some new details like the lights seem a bit off or clumsy to be real artworks)

Last edited:

Miles708

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that then you have never being a regular at arcades?
Do you have any clue how many versions of SF2, SF3, GGXX and Blazblue are there? Fighting games have always had many versions to refine it while adding content, the multiple versions were just a reflection of how it used to be done in arcades, the alternative was having the game exclusive to arcades until it was "ready" for console launch, like Tekken used to roll.

So if you want the complete version, then pretend the game hasn't leave arcades yet and wait for it to be dumped for the next entry and then buy. Since you don't play online or at arcades, there is no difference for you.

I'm still salty that we never got Virtua Fighter 5 R and its wonderful remixed stages.
But yes, what's the meaning of making anything else than a complete edition.

My point is that the art change could announce graphics update. (some new details like the lights seem a bit off or clumsy to be real artworks)
The new details like the blue rim lighting on Akira coming in from the right (or the left for Wolf) are just like any other promotional artwork in movies and video games. It's not clumsy but rather intentional because it's supposed to add more depth to the subject, even if it doesn't look realistic.

I don't think the art change means anything, and when the last Virtua Fighter released more than a decade ago then of course you, I, and everyone else would expect this new one to have better graphics.

Keihart

The new details like the blue rim lighting on Akira coming in from the right (or the left for Wolf) are just like any other promotional artwork in movies and video games. It's not clumsy but rather intentional because it's supposed to add more depth to the subject, even if it doesn't look realistic.

I don't think the art change means anything, and when the last Virtua Fighter released more than a decade ago then of course you, I, and everyone else would expect this new one to have better graphics.
Models look kinda shit for CG, check Akira's fingers and shoulder.
No idea what this means for the final game, but i hope those are just promotional cheap CGI work.

NT80

I'm really hoping for some changes to the core gameplay. I don't like much of anything that they changed going from VF5R to FS. At the Sega show they mentioned trying to concentrate on Japan first except FS was not well liked among their arcade players. VF4 was the last time it was hugely popular there it seems.

GrayFoxPL

I'm really hoping for some changes to the core gameplay. I don't like much of anything that they changed going from VF5R to FS. At the Sega show they mentioned trying to concentrate on Japan first except FS was not well liked among their arcade players. VF4 was the last time it was hugely popular there it seems.
Can elaborate what has changed between VF5R and FS?

I didn't play VF5R(like most of ppl here) but I'm fascinated about changes between versions. I've noticed Jean had different double kicks to the head.

Miles708

Can elaborate what has changed between VF5R and FS?

I didn't play VF5R(like most of ppl here) but I'm fascinated about changes between versions. I've noticed Jean had different double kicks to the head.
Didn't play R but, compared to VF5 (and previous ones), FS is much more juggle-happy and you can bounce your enemy much easier. The other ones, on the contrary, have always been more "heavy"and focused on on-ground execution.
Yeah, VF2 had 20 meters jumps, but still.

GrayFoxPL

Didn't play R but, compared to VF5 (and previous ones), FS is much more juggle-happy and you can bounce your enemy much easier. The other ones, on the contrary, have always been more "heavy"and focused on on-ground execution.
Yeah, VF2 had 20 meters jumps, but still.
Yeah, I played VF5 I have it. The second bound action was only introduced in FS. Yeah, the combos were much shorter.

GrayFoxPL

Here's brand new TAS of VF4. Guy is well known, he makes TASes of Tekkens. He makes them to show of the engine of the games. Very fun!

VF4 is of my faves. Long time ago, but the game still shines.

Last edited:

synce

I love VF but I don't think this is how you revive a franchise. Everything's pointing to it just being a port of 5. The eSports thing is laughable too. The community wasn't there when FS released, and it's not going to magically appear now that there's more fighting games than ever. You need to make a totally new game that actually stands out. That said, if this has rollback and it's under $30 I'll take it.

GrayFoxPL

I love VF but I don't think this is how you revive a franchise. Everything's pointing to it just being a port of 5. The eSports thing is laughable too. The community wasn't there when FS released, and it's not going to magically appear now that there's more fighting games than ever. You need to make a totally new game that actually stands out. That said, if this has rollback and it's under $30 I'll take it.
The eSports thing showed up the time Covid 19 appeared.
At the time they showed offline tournaments, winners and the like. Covid put all the plans on it's head. Game that's supposedly be an app for tournament players going for tournies all over the world, Tekken style.

What Sega could do? Rather then cancel whole thing, they probably reworked whole game. As in worked a whole lot more on online aspect, online tournaments, unlockables and the like. This what it is in my imagination.

Top Bottom