• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Nintendo Switch 2 to have 512GB Internal Storage and Backwards compatibility

Belthazar

Backwards compatibility is basically a lock at this point, by I'm pretty sure the games will launch on an OG Switch container on the new console, which will adjust clock speeds and whatnot to simulate the switch specs and will, therefore, not allow for even the bare minimum of improvements when playing og switch games there.

It will offer the desired functionality of BC, while also allowing Nintendo to sell things like Breath of The Wild Deluxe, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Definitive Edition, Mario Odyssey + Bowsette's Fury or whatever, Mario Kart 8 The Farewell Tour Edition, etc.

Last edited:

Zannegan

You are forgetting that Steamdeck is more powerful than a switch by quite a bit.

The Steamdeck has a better CPU, GPU and Ram. It even has a .8 inch larger LCD displayed versus the Switch's 6.2 inch LCD. Yes, there is OLED but that's a different model with same crap switch specs.

Here is an article with spec comparison and a chart - https://www.dexerto.com/tech/steam-deck-vs-nintendo-switch-2053404/

512 GB is not acceptable in any shape or form no matter how you try to justify for the year 2024.
I'm not forgetting the difference in specs, though if you check the rumor (which we're taking as true for the sake of argument), you'd see the new Switch is also rumored to have an 8-inch screen and it should be in the same ballpark hardware wise. What's more, we can definitely assume it's going to come in at less than the high level Deck's $649.99.

None of that has any bearing on the argument though, which is that Valve made the CIELING for the Deck's memory 512. Its baseline model has 1/4 of that. 1TB would be great, but I don't think we can pretend it is industry standard for hybrids... yet. And there's good reason for that.

This thing won't have anything like the power of the XSX or PS5, I think the very best most are hoping for is something that is, functionally, at 25% while docked. With lower power hardware comes lower fidelity assets and a much smaller install size.

Again, I'm not saying that 512GB is ideal, but it's far from "unacceptable" when comparable hardware sold at a much higher price point comes with the same or less memory.

S0ULZB0URNE

Any theories about potential new gimmicks?
The SUPER Switch

The dock will house more power vs portable mode than before and might be upgradeable....

I can see some type of camera gimmick.

New haptics.

Some type of DLSS that is better than the current gens upscaling.

chromhound

I thought the person that leaked the DLCs for Pokemon said that some game would get an upgrade for the next gen console.

UnNamed

Banned
Going to be a crap LCD for sure like the first switch...
I have a different screen on my Switch probably.

Two big pros that improve the quality and the perception of resolution are the matrix, RGB instead of the shitty pentile, and the lack of any visible grid between pixels. In fact these are the two reason why Switch didn't need a 1080p screen because jaggies are almost invisible in game at 720p on portable mode. There are monitors and TVs you can see the pixel grid 2 meters away.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Actually in 2023 a 512 GB storage is way too small. Nothing under 1TB should be standard. Especially if the Switch starts mandating installs. If everything plays off the card (like current) then maybe that would be ok, but most AAA games these days will not be on a 16GB card. not even a 32 GB card.

Reallink

you know the steam deck and asus rog ally have lcd displays... and there's also this new thing called mini led.

The Steamdeck has one of the worst displays to ever grace a consumer electronic over $100 (not hyperbole, many $50 burner phones have superior displays) . The Ally's is outstanding in comparison, but still terrible compared to any competent OLED. Spoiler alert, Nintendo will use the cheapest LCD they can source, meaning it'll be much closer to the Steamdeck's than the Ally's.

Last edited:
Yeah I'll wait for a revision like this generation no way I'm going back to lcd unless it's really powerful I'll just never use handheld mode

Zannegan

Actually in 2023 a 512 GB storage is way too small. Nothing under 1TB should be standard. Especially if the Switch starts mandating installs. If everything plays off the card (like current) then maybe that would be ok, but most AAA games these days will not be on a 16GB card. not even a 32 GB card.
This is a really good point. I've been assuming games would play directly from cartridges. If we're talking mandatory installs, then that changes the equation.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Any theories about potential new gimmicks?

VR. AR. 3d. b/c. pulse monitor. dock projector. ...

AR. They could put in a camera for AR. They did that with the 3ds (Face Raiders.) AR was part of the Mario Home Circuit. They have done AR in mobile. ...there's room for them to do more I imagine. Seems like the tech is only getting better. Matches up with people doing avatars and personalizing games and that sort of thing. Adds a little bit of expense, wouldn't be used when playing on the tv afaik and might be a tech better suited for the phone.

VR. I have thought for 5 years at least that the Switch form factor was made for VR with the size of the screen and detachable controllers with motion control. And they did a demo of this capability with Labo VR. It showed promise. All they really need is a higher res screen to make it good enough. Meanwhile a Switch with VR would still be a Switch. IN other words you would get VR without knowing it and without really paying for it. A high enough res screen to make it doable might be too pricey. And Nintendo might be wary of mixing kids and VR.

3d. They obviously put 3d on the 3ds. I don't think it was a big hit. But the tech got much better with the New 3ds. I imagine the tech has gotten even better. Other cons it is some the extra processing power might go towards the 3d effect which would mean less of it goes towards making it pretty. And they may have already used up all their ideas there and it may be too soon to revisit with not even progress. But like with the 3ds one can turn it off. And it was, to me, with the New 3ds at least, fun to play with here and there.

b/c. what better gimmick than to convince people to pony up cash for a system in order to play their old games. lol. ;)

pulse monitor. Have to mention this because they were working on a sleep game back in the Wii era. They could have this kind of 'health tech' laying around and could be much improved. Would be some low cost side gimmick they could include that they could find a use for. I have zero ideas other than if your pulse goes up, your character controls more erratically. ....

dock projector. Too expensive I'm sure even if pico projectors are relatively cheap these days. I imagine kids would like the idea tho of the dock projecting the game onto their bedroom wall. And Japan isn't supposed to have the tv penetration that like we have in the US. ...so thought it would be a cool idea. But ...cost wise is the problem.

controls. right up Nintendo's alley. They introduce some new method of control. Or improve some previous method. ...

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Backwards compatibility was pretty much confirmed in a Q&A during the annual sales report at Nintendo.
thank-you-jesus-498-x-281-gif-kj5mi9pyktxdvkuy.gif

Red5

You have been missing the fuck out. I can’t even fathom not owning a Nintendo system since SNES... insane.

Yeah I know, I would've loved an N64 or GC but after Sega Mega Drive and SNES, Sony crushed the competition with PS1 then 2 in my country, no one was importing Nintendo stuff till the Wii showed up and now the Switch. So been pretty tempted so to get a Switch but a Switch 2 with Switch BC is a no brainer for me.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I feel like there’s no rhyme or reason to Nintendo’s naming schemes and there’s no connection between “effective naming” and commercial success
I think quite a few people didn't realise that WiiU was a new console, rather than a new controller for the Wii which is possibly a big part of why they went from being (at the time) at a commercial high to ...Not.

So I'd be inclined to say naming is perhaps more important than meets the eye.

I'd say if the new system works essentially the same as the Switch that calling it Switch 2 would immediately get people in a position to understand that a new generation system is here and calling it Switch Pro would make people think it was more of an optional update.

Personally, I think Switch 2 would make the most sense for that reason, but Super Switch would get my vote.

UnNamed

Banned
Switch have 32GB, so you can install 1/2 games on that, except tiny games. There are 15/20 games that are impossible to install since they are 32GB cartridges, and many 16GB cartridges require additional data.

Switch 2 with 512GB means you can install 4/5 games. It'a an improvement.
I checked the prices for the SSDs, the cheapest here is some chinese +30€ stick with unknown and unreliable performance. Nintendo would buy SSD at half of the price but I doubt they will choose a unkwnown brand. 30€ for a well known brand is reasonable, for a 512GB. 60€ for a 1TB is too much, unless Nintendo plans to launch the Switch 2 at more than 400€.

Dodo123

Hope they will name it reasonably, so it is easy to understand for nooby consumers that it is a new generation. Going with Super Switch would be Wii U 2.0 basically

"Switch 2" will be lazy name from Nintendo

Very very suicidal if there no backward compatibility

Also LCD = big lol

No one thinks it’ll be called Switch 2, it’s just a good way to affirm that we’re talking about a successor and not a revision of the existing platform.

LCD is completely fine for the base model. The Steam Deck is LCD. OLED would make it way too expensive.

I think it would be smart to incorporate the Switch branding into the next system though, could call it like the Nintendo Super Switch or something like that.

Agreed that is has to have reasonably decent backward compatibility, at least as much as PS5 has it. Especially with libraries becoming largely digital nowadays.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Bruh they HAVE to name it the super switch.
Honestly thats what im hoping for. Works as both a call back to the nes to snes and also emphasizes that its the successor to the switch without some confusing naming scheme (ala wii u)

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No one thinks it’ll be called Switch 2, it’s just a good way to affirm that we’re talking about a successor and not a revision of the existing platform.

LCD is completely fine for the base model. The Steam Deck is LCD. OLED would make it way too expensive.

I think it would be smart to incorporate the Switch branding into the next system though, could call it like the Nintendo Super Switch or something like that.

Agreed that is has to have reasonably decent backward compatibility, at least as much as PS5 has it. Especially with libraries becoming largely digital nowadays.
Steam Deck’s screen sucks ass compared to Switch OLED. And how much more expensive do you think OLED is? I thought I read the price difference for a screen that size is like $10, I’ll see if I can find a source. BTW there was a previous rumor that Nintendo were considering LCD because they couldn’t get enough OLED panels, it wasn’t because of the price.

Anyway that would be a huge disappointment to have the screen be a downgrade from the previous gen

Last edited:

DosGamer

Backwards compatibility is a must and it really should be standard for the new hardware, but I cant help but wonder how much money Nintendo has made from people rebuying their games several times.

Dodo123

Super Switch sounds like a pro version of the same console. And well, they tried with the NEW Nintendo 3DS after all.....
Additionally, they need to think about both the brand and a global appeal. I get you that you are aware of the NES to SNES transition etc. but the US market is not the whole world. Super Switch won't work in my opinion, it would be a bad name for the new console.

Mozza

LCD display

Im out. (Not really but goddamit nintendo)
It will have LCD for cost, Nintendo will want to sell a revision further down the line, no biggie LCD screens are still pretty decent. I have the OLED one now and the biggest difference is the size, also it's better to turn off the vibrant feature, as it looks like a T.V in demo mode, at a store so it stands out more. ;)

Last edited:
Steam Deck’s screen sucks ass compared to Switch OLED. And how much more expensive do you think OLED is? I thought I read the price difference for a screen that size is like $10, I’ll see if I can find a source. BTW there was a previous rumor that Nintendo were considering LCD because they couldn’t get enough OLED panels, it wasn’t because of the price.

Anyway that would be a huge disappointment to have the screen be a downgrade from the previous gen

When every dollar counts when you’re trying to hit a certain price for launch model hardware, you don’t put unnecessarily expensive components in your platform.

Nintendo has a smaller margin on the OLED Switch than they make on the base model, and the OLED Switch costs $50 more. There’s a reason Steam didn’t put OLEDs in the Steam Deck. They already lose money on it as is.

You won’t see an OLED screen on the next-gen Switch til a revision comes out later down the line. The screen in the new Switch might be a downgrade, but the system itself will be a huge improvement in specs otherwise. It’s just a matter of priorities and trying to hit a mass market price point. Remember Nintendo has to make money on hardware at launch, 90% of their business is selling hardware and software.

Top Bottom