• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch 2 Reportedly Delayed to 2025

Draugoth

Gold Member
GGdr-xnW4AAGMF9
Journalist @/phluttilippe says he had 5 sources from 3 contintents tell him Switch 2 was within the first 3 months of 2025 and some sources suggest the launch had been delayed.

Source

Tweet

Update:

VGC,and Eurogamer corroborate:

Eurogamer has heard similar whispers of an early 2025 launch from industry sources this week, though has not been able to concretely substantiate them. Nintendo Switch 2 had previously been widely tipped to arrive later this year. A move to the other side of Christmas into early 2025 would mean more time for the console's launch line-up to be readied, while keeping the financial benefit of Switch 2's launch within Nintendo's upcoming financial calendar.

https://www.eurogamer.net/nintendo-switch-2-release-date-now-q1-2025-report

Update 2:

Bloomberg corroborates:

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
These are all calculated responses to other companies. Sony has no real games this year the pro is looking like it might not happen yet, Xbox is years away from new hardware so why release early and hamper switch sales?

They will wait for next year because they simply can.

They release early they risk losing momentum to ps5 pro or nextbox.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Well, for about the third year in a row now, Switch fans were wrong about this thing coming out. In fact, I’m pretty sure there were a lot of folks here saying 2021, 2022, 2023, and now a fourth year, 2024. Instead of getting your hopes up, how about we just wait for news from actual Nintendo about it?

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

i knew it!!! whatever... just more time to save money

it does kill my hype for this year though. we just had rumors of an inevitable reveal event last couple weeks now this... ugh

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Going by release dates, Switch was released in March 2017. Isnt that too early in a year? Some people will probably just think skip getting a Switch at Xmas 2024, since Switch 2 would be Q1 2025.

But if you make it a traditional console launch like Q4 2025, then you avoid that issue and a bunch of laggards who will just get a Switch 1 in 2024.

Euler007

Strange, you'd think the foundries and part suppliers are really interested in producing something for a fall launch.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
This decision seems very correct to me.

There are still many games that I have to enjoy on the Nintendo Switch... and that helps them consider it to be a better console, because an Asus Rog or Steam Deck can be problematic with the Nintendo Switch 2 in terms of hardware.

Reactions: Isa

Chastten

Banned
If that's true I'm really hoping they have some unnannounced games for Switch left.

Giving the entire year to PlayStation while you only have Peach, Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario Remake to release would make for a pretty bad situation.

I'm totally fine with early 2025. If it allows more time for launch window software to be ready to go. That is after all literally the only reason Switch launched March 2017 instead of holiday 2016. The games weren't ready yet.

But also this is mega grain of salt, guys. Many people who aren't actual "insiders" struggle to grasp the concept of FY vs CY. Most people, in fact. "Within FY 2024" could mean it launches as late as March 2025, and it still would be FY 2024. And Nintendo would only miss this holiday if they didn't have a major AAA game or two ready.

Switch sales are strong enough still that it wouldn't be much of a financial hit for them to squeeze one last holiday out of the current models. And I say current models deliberately. I think Switch 2 is a successor but also an interation/ replacement for the current model. I think Switch 2 launch model, and original Switch OLED and Lite will be Nintendo's platforms in 2025-2026 before the inevitable Switch 2 Lite and Switch 2 OLED in 2026/2027.

Honestly all I care about right now is that TTYD remake. And I don't need new hardware for that. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Isa

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Question is what purpose does a delay serve? Is it so more software and services are ready for launch? Is it so the hardware can be manufactured on a smaller node? Is there some shortage of components that justifies a delay?

Top Bottom