• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Sinks After Game Makers Say Switch 2 Pushed to 2025

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Why release new hardware when EVERY KEY MARKET is in a recession or on the cusp of one?
Sony's (unannounced) hardware plans for the PS5 Pro will also target 2025.

This is about market confidence...not g@m3r confidence. Investment in "entertainment software" has taken a nose dive and when the players in this space have to use THEIR money to release products those purse strings snap closed really quickly.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
"Insiders" have been predicting the release and delay of the Switch 2 for the last 3 years. Predict the release to generate clicks and spread FUD when their own dumbass release prophecies don't come true.

Aaaaand this is why you don't run your company based on reactionary share price fluctuations. All they care about is money, growth, growth, and money. They don't care about good products or satisfied customers. They just want money money money money why isnt there more money than last time money money money.

Last edited:
Bloomberg talks out its rear quite often. Remember all those Switch Pro and 4K DLSS rumors and “leaks” they tried to push?
That was absolutely planned at one point, it just didn't make it to market. Nintendo pivoted internally & decided to just do a full-on successor instead. We'll never know all the reasons, but likely component costs/ post-COVID supply chain issues/ and Switch continuing to do so well were all part of the decision process. They decided in the end to just do a minor cosmetic refresh, and they ended up with the OLED model.

There were enough rumors about it all from different sources that it was absolutely a thing. I know some people need to hear this occasionally, but products in development are canceled *all the time*, even at Nintendo.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Why release new hardware when EVERY KEY MARKET is in a recession or on the cusp of one?

This is about market confidence...not g@m3r confidence. Investment in "entertainment software" has taken a nose dive and when the players in this space have to use THEIR money to release products those purse strings snap closed really quickly.
you really think they’re just sitting on Switch 2 stock and they’re trying to time the market? Sounds unlikely.

BTW at least in the US, consumer spending has been ridiculously, stubbornly strong. If anything they’d try to get in on that before this “recession” that “experts” have sworn is imminent for the last 2 years.

bros i have $400+ in gamestop credit after trading in my old lcd switch and series x

do i get a PS5 now or wait for the Pro? I'm getting the feeling that the Pro will be delayed also

S0ULZB0URNE

Do you not realize that companies have product roadmaps planned out several years in advance? You think the Switch 2 R&D department has some open ended timeline with no target completion date?

Come on. This “it can’t be delayed unless they officially announced it” idea is one of the dumbest things that keeps popping up in this forum.
It's a new level of cope defense from the fanboys.

Um, selling over 1 billion copies of games (as of May 2023, almost a year ago) with the lion's share on first party stuff? Why would it matter to shareholders how it was done, whether this or that team made 1, the other 2 and yet another only remasters of WiiU games or vice versa or whatever else, as if they ever play them? They are fickle children oblivious to the business and just care for money and it's good Nintendo CEOs like the late Iwata often shot down their dumb suggestions and demands and requests gleamed in the shareholder meetings to keep the integrity and structure of the company and continue making banger after banger regardless of what they think or what the competition is doing, of course they'd have to change attitude eventually if they were proven wrong/questioned/pressured after constant failures but the results speak for themselves and shut them up.
Common now. No one is talking about sales Of software. They did a wonderful job of software sales. No doubt. Don’t move goalposts.

The reason the stock is down today is because investors are concerned about management’s planning. That is predictable and fair. Look at the situation that Sony and MS find themselves in right now.

It is fair to question Nintendo. I am not a naysayer, but I find it odd that so many people are Nintendo or Sony or MS apologist. Sony margins are razor thin, and MS has yet to turn a profit on Xbox. It is a LOSS, annually.

Guess what Everyone, the console warriors can not keep these gaming companies afloat alone. You need an ever widening audience.

Understand now why they are so concerned? The console warriors average age is late 30’s. Yeah, that is not good. Remember when console gaming was for kids thru High schoolers? What do those kids predominately game on Today? Not consoles.

Console is an ever shrinking or stagnant market. As has shown by recent reports surrounding Xbox.

This is not doom and gloom to say Nintendo needs to go 3rd party. But, future planning is more important that it has ever been. These investors are correct to ask about “the plan” going forward.

It is also fair to question how efficient the software teams are planning, and executing the plan for future releases. This is something we are seeing as a problem at Xbox, Sony, Ubisoft, WB, EA, and Activision. Nintendo with as well as Switch has done, should still face the same questions.

As for Iwata, may he rest in peace. Nintendo has now moved on, and can not live in the past. They can use his principles as a guide, similar to how Apple does with Steve Jobs. Anything more than that is a mistake.

Last edited:

HofT

kaFuLhY.jpg

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
you really think they’re just sitting on Switch 2 stock and they’re trying to time the market? Sounds unlikely.

BTW at least in the US, consumer spending has been ridiculously, stubbornly strong. If anything they’d try to get in on that before this “recession” that “experts” have sworn is imminent for the last 2 years.
No of course not, they are waiting to manufacture them.
You can I see consumer spending here in the US very differently. I don't consider spending $3.15 for a loaf of Wonder Bread to be "stubbornly strong".

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No of course not, they are waiting to manufacture them.
You can I see consumer spending here in the US very differently. I don't consider spending $3.15 for a loaf of Wonder Bread to be "stubbornly strong".
You can see it however you want. You’re wrong. People are spending more even after accounting for inflation.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
You can see it however you want. You’re wrong. People are spending more even after accounting for inflation.

Sounds good…I’m sure everything is fine!!

Last edited:
This is how rumour mongers play the stock markets....

1. Buy Nintendo stock
  2. Start BS rumour about a Switch 2 release in 2024
  3. Stock price rises
  4. Sell stocks
  5. profit
  6. Short Nintendo stocks
  7. Wait a bit
  8. Market realises Switch 2 is not releasing in 2024
  9. Stock price falls
  10. profit again

El Muerto

Now's the time to buy. Stocks always take a hit when bad news comes out. But we know Nintendo is a strong company, operates at a profit, and will release a new console eventually. The stock will jump when their next console releases and cool down later. That is unless their new hardware bombs which usually happens after they have a successful console.

SHA

I don't know about you but I don't want to see this Mario anyway:

Pn0uokF.png
The picture is confusing, were he a kid with mustache and grow as a teenager? , sure kids grow so fast but when did he left his childhood period after eons of being an infant?

Woopah

I agree with you.

The games planning I was referring to was the fact that Nintendo needs to be able to schedule everything and anticipate things in which may cause delays.

That is wonderful that most teams had multiple projects. My question is, what caused delays for big games on Switch 2? If it is a major Launch game that is delayed? Why wasn’t this covered in advance? Nintendo is well known for sitting on projects (allegedly) until they are ready to schedule them in.

I don’t disagree with anything you said and appreciate the information. My statement is simply something has gone wrong somewhere, and it is either:
1.) something was not allocated for in the management planning.

2.) investors, media outlets and forums have been mislead by “insiders”, grifters, and so called “media journalists”. And Nintendo was not planning on Switch 2 reveal in March. Nor would they have access to BC, or Spec info. Something is amiss somewhere. This would be the fault of the masses for listening.

No doubt a reckoning is coming. Someone or likely many will have to answer some tough questions going forward.
I would say it's number 1. Games taking longer than predicted is fairly common.

For example, GT7 and Horizon 2 were both scheduled to release before holiday 2021, but they needed more time and so were pushed back to Q1 2023.

I imagine it's a similar thing here. Nintendo had 1 or 2 big Switch 2 games that need a little longer to get to right quality. They want Switch 2 to have a strong launch window, so they are delaying it to align with key software.

It wouldn't be the first time a hardware delay happened. 3DS was originally planned for holiday 2010, but then was internally delayed to Q1 2011 (in that case it was due to a lack of supply, rather than software).

OuterLimits

The likely delay of several months/half year or so doesn't bother me that much. However, I do regret not upgrading to the OLED last year now.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I agree with you.

The games planning I was referring to was the fact that Nintendo needs to be able to schedule everything and anticipate things in which may cause delays.

That is wonderful that most teams had multiple projects. My question is, what caused delays for big games on Switch 2? If it is a major Launch game that is delayed? Why wasn’t this covered in advance? Nintendo is well known for sitting on projects (allegedly) until they are ready to schedule them in.

I don’t disagree with anything you said and appreciate the information. My statement is simply something has gone wrong somewhere, and it is either:
1.) something was not allocated for in the management planning.

2.) investors, media outlets and forums have been mislead by “insiders”, grifters, and so called “media journalists”. And Nintendo was not planning on Switch 2 reveal in March. Nor would they have access to BC, or Spec info. Something is amiss somewhere. This would be the fault of the masses for listening.

No doubt a reckoning is coming. Someone or likely many will have to answer some tough questions going forward.
They could also just have determined that it makes more financial sense to wait until next year. If they think they can sell millions of games on Switch this holiday that would be cannibalized by Switch 2 sales then maybe that is what happened. Or that coupled to a harder than expected time in manufacturing enough units, etc.

Regardless of what is happening, we had what 4 years of bullshit rumors on Switch Pro so it is really hard to take anything as fact until we get some actual information from Nintendo.

Rat Rage

This is exactly it.

Top Bottom