• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch 2 Reportedly Delayed to 2025

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Not it's resolution and performance.
We are specifically talking R&C RA.
I find the image quality and performance to be good. Especially considering it's a PS5 game on a handheld.
RC-Rivet-jp.jpg

RC-Under-jp.jpg

RC-City-jp.jpg

Valve was smart to include 16GB RAM and a NVMe drive. I don't have much hope that the Switch 2 will have a NVMe, and one can only hope they have at least 12GB RAM in light of the 8GB rumors. Switch 2 would have a hard time running Rift Apart without those 2 things.

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I think R&C:RA is actually a good graphical expectation of the switch 2, because while the switch 2 may have weaker RAM and slower internal storage, it can generally make up for most of those differences with optimizations.

After all, R&C was not made for the steam deck and is merely compatible with it(through proton).

Add in Nintendo developers optimizing the future S2 games exclusively for the S2 and R&C-like graphics seems reasonable.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Hey, on a positive note, Metroid prime 4 will probably the big Nintendo game this holiday. I'm sure this would make Metroid fans shed tears of joy.

EDIT: Does this means Microsoft will have to release this year Call of duty on switch as per their agreement?

Last edited:

locoghoul

Neo Member
Can you walk me through the process of Sony taking Nintendo's market share in the console space?

It has no competition right now.
They are not direct competitors yes. They both cater at slighly different markets, which leaves MS at this awkward position of being a lesser choice. I'd prefer having a Steam deck over an Xbox

S0ULZB0URNE

I find the image quality and performance to be good. Especially considering it's a PS5 game on a handheld.
RC-Rivet-jp.jpg

RC-Under-jp.jpg

RC-City-jp.jpg

Valve was smart to include 16GB RAM and a NVMe drive. I don't have much hope that the Switch 2 will have a NVMe, and one can only hope they have at least 12GB RAM in light of the 8GB rumors. Switch 2 would have a hard time running Rift Apart without those 2 things.
I don't.
It doesn't run it at PS5 levels.
It runs it at significantly weaker PC spec levels.

It's all preference if this is good enough or not.

Switch 2 will be powerful enough to run it better than 720p/low settings/~30fps

Overall - a fair point - "what happens this year" is a curious thing. Lets have a discussion about this:

1) PS2 sales after the PS3
Don't forget, the PS2 sold almost a third of its lifetime sales after the next generation had started

and after the PS3 launched, more or less, it basically looked like this:

2007 - 14ish million
2008 - 14ish million
2009 - 8ish million
2010 - 7ish million
2011 - 6.5ish million
After - 2-3ish million until it stoped production

Xbox and Gamecube were long gone by then. Majority of it sales during this time were due to hardware refreshes, bundles, a very low and attractive price point, strong sales in emerging markets and - most importantly - Sony's willingness to continue production and dedicating resources and allocations to product lines given it still sold in certain markets. It had a bunch of losses from the PS3 so I can imagine keeping the PS2 in production played a role in maintaining some balancing of the books.

What this means for the Switch is there is the potential to have more sales after the Switch 2 launches (whether it is end of 2024 or as now purported to be early 2025) if Nintendo follows a similar plan with focus on emerging markets, lowering the price point, maybe a cheapo hardware refresh of sorts....I suspect that Nintendo will quickly kill off the Switch so it does not canabilize Switch 2 sales, assuming they are similar hybrid style system, but that is my own opinion. For all we know they might have 2 systems on the shelves for a while like 3DS/2DS and OG Switch.

------------
2) a comment regarding your PS1 -> PS2 comparison:
PS1 did have a massive drop when the PS2 launched. It fell by 50% the year the PS2 had its global launch (some 18-19 million to 9.5ish million); Again, the Switch has not yet had such a drop in sales. They have sort of staggered off over the past few years but there is not a 10 million year to year dip yet. The last 2 FY were ~17 mil and ~23 mil. They are projecting 15.5 this FY. That is a gradual decrease.

15.5 million for this FY is not a low number by any means especially for a console as old as it is...it is more than any Fiscal year the PSP or PS3 ever sold,

it has yet to be on the market as long as either PS1/PS2/PSP/PS3,

And it has yet to receive a price drop.

-------------------

3) Enthusiasm for Rumours:
All in all, none of these products exist on the store shelf yet. There is no Switch 2 (but we know with certainty there is one close to reveal and coming out), There is no Xbox Handheld (but it seems plausible there is one on the way) and there is no Steam Deck 2 (but the Steam Deck 1 has carved out a nice niche and I am sure Valve will continue to support it, update the hardware so it can perform better given it is targeted towards hardware enthusiasts)

Consider this. The Vita was never really a successful system. We don't know exact numbers, but consensus is it sold at least 10 million units, as much as 17 million (thats wide gap yes)

The Steam Deck is reported to have sold around 4 million units after 2 years of sales (I understand it may be somewhat less or more than this, I understand you can't just walk into a Wal-Mart and get it, but the point remains the same)

The Vita sold about 6 million units ww after 2 years of sales.

Don't let YouTube "influencers" and Internet forums and enthusiast gamer circles distort your perspective and influence your feelings...

The "super popular" Steam Deck is lagging behind the "forgotten failure" Vita, and people feel it or it's successor poses a threat to the current or next Switch...I find that unlikely.

I understand that you are also referencing the unknown - who knows how successful a Steam Deck 2 might be or a Xbox Handheld. They could both blow away predictions. A Game pass handheld might end up being exactly what Microsoft needed to rejuvenate its hardware business. A Steam Deck 2 might finally break into the main stream. We do not know and I do not claim to know the future either.

But, the Switch was successful in large part by its software. The system itself, as cool as it was in 2017, is not going to sell itself. It had Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Smash Bros etc... basically it had Nintendo games that people wanted to play, and these are games that we can only find on Nintendo systems. It is the same as the under powered Game Boy or DS before it - the software will sell the system.

So I would bet that, at least for the mainstream, if the Switch 2 comes out and is weaker than any Xbox handheld or Steam Deck 2 a future YouTuber will do a comparison of, it will not matter because it will not have the Nintendo games that are attractive to the masses/mainstream. I fully respect that you could end up being right, and your (and others') feelings could end up justified, and you can bookmark this post and say "Remember that fun banter we had a while back? I told you so" in 6 years time, but if I was going to bet on which system in 6 years has more sales, I would not be picking the rumoured Steam Deck 2 or the rumoured Xbox handheld over the Switch 2, even if it doesn't live up to the OG Switch in sales
PS2 was bought by many as a cheap DVD player. And comparatively from PS3/PS4 Sony was not making a lot of money from disc based PS2 games.

You can't delay something that never existed in the first place.

Of course you can. Nintendo probably didn't give Third Parties an actual launch date but must have told them that it would be this year.

I feel like it's a mistake if it's because the tentpole game isn't going to be ready in time.

Aldric

What makes this particular report more credible than the many articles from the same snake oil merchants claiming a fabled 4K Switch Pro release was imminent for the past four years at least?

Kinda baffling people are still giving credit to "journalists" who've been consistently wrong about their reporting on new Nintendo hardware ever since such rumblings started appearing in what, 2019 at the earliest?

Moses85

What makes this particular report more credible than the many articles from the same snake oil merchants claiming a fabled 4K Switch Pro release was imminent for the past four years at least?

Kinda baffling people are still giving credit to "journalists" who've been consistently wrong about their reporting on new Nintendo hardware ever since such rumblings started appearing in what, 2019 at the earliest?
Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Buggy Loop

RC-Rivet-jp.jpg

RC-Under-jp.jpg

RC-City-jp.jpg

For majority of peoples this will be fine. Considering also that Nvidia has much better upscaling solution it will likely be beyond that. If specs are in the ~2.4TFlops range like rumoured, it's already quite ahead of Steam deck.

This will be enough to be "PS5-like" even though side by side it's downgraded, to most peoples this will be fine, and a huge step-up for Nintendo.

I'm 99% sure the Switch Pro was cancelled because of Crypto. No room at Samsung.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I don't.
It doesn't run it at PS5 levels.
It runs it at significantly weaker PC spec levels.

It's all preference if this is good enough or not.

Switch 2 will be powerful enough to run it better than 720p/low settings/~30fps
I play x16 AF, mostly Medium(textures and 4 other settings) with a couple Low and a single High setting along with Xess with dynamic res set for 30fps. 720p/Low would give you an objectively worse image quality than this. Could explain your perception of the game.

Switch 2 version would be totally unplayable with 8GB RAM and no NVMe drive. 12GB might get you Deck settings if you go 720p(DLSS Performance) and it was highly optimized for less memory. Without a NVMe drive the portal sequences would play like the Deck from SD card or eMMC. Deck NVMe drive was around 2500MB/s when I tested it. The newer 1TB drive I'm using maxes the PCIe 3.0 spec at 3500MB/s. eMMC is like 300MB/s and SD is around 100MB/s.

This is the difference between an NVMe and a SD card in the first big portal sequence...

For majority of peoples this will be fine. Considering also that Nvidia has much better upscaling solution it will likely be beyond that. If specs are in the ~2.4TFlops range like rumoured, it's already quite ahead of Steam deck.

This will be enough to be "PS5-like" even though side by side it's downgraded, to most peoples this will be fine, and a huge step-up for Nintendo.
I'm expecting around Deck performance. Depends on how much memory they have and whether they include a NVMe drive. The TDP the aim for will also be an important factor. Deck is running this game using 26W total system power and 7GB VRAM.

S0ULZB0URNE

I play x16 AF, mostly Medium(textures and 4 other settings) with a couple Low and a single High setting along with Xess with dynamic res set for 30fps. 720p/Low would give you an objectively worse image quality than this. Could explain your perception of the game.

Switch 2 version would be totally unplayable with 8GB RAM and no NVMe drive. 12GB might get you Deck settings if you go 720p(DLSS Performance) and it was highly optimized for less memory. Without a NVMe drive the portal sequences would play like the Deck from SD card or eMMC. Deck NVMe drive was around 2500MB/s when I tested it. The newer 1TB drive I'm using maxes the PCIe 3.0 spec at 3500MB/s. eMMC is like 300MB/s and SD is around 100MB/s.

This is the difference between an NVMe and a SD card in the first big portal sequence...

I'm expecting around Deck performance. Depends on how much memory they have and whether they include a NVMe drive. The TDP the aim for will also be an important factor. Deck is running this game using 26W total system power and 7GB VRAM.

Switch 2 will be more powerful than steam deck

Buggy Loop

I would be massively disappointed by that and I really doubt it's likely. They could have picked a cheap mass produced Snapdragon XR2 gen 2 and they would be better than Steam deck. I doubt Nvidia would not heavily warn them into not doing this, they might even use the same chipset for Shield 2.

TAS

Nintendo will be leaving money on the table if they don't also release a Switch TV-only device imo. They can take the existing Nvidia Shield Pro design and add a red light instead of the traditional green. Can you imagine? :messenger_smiling_hearts: The extra money saved from no screen and battery could be put towards more RAM and an NVME drive. And of course, the chipset would be able to run at maximum clock speeds. A Switch 2 Pro would be irresistible to the hardcore base, who like myself, leave their Switch docked 99% of the time.

Good decision since the switch is selling so well. Might as well wait to see if the Switch can outsell the PS2 before shifting focus to the successor.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Nintendo will be leaving money on the table if they don't also release a Switch TV-only device imo. They can take the existing Nvidia Shield Pro design and add a red light instead of the traditional green. Can you imagine? :messenger_smiling_hearts: The extra money saved from no screen and battery could be put towards more RAM and an NVME drive. And of course, the chipset would be able to run at maximum clock speeds. A Switch 2 Pro would be irresistible to the hardcore base, who like myself, leave their Switch docked 99% of the time.

Super Switch - 8" Hybrid Portable/Dockable w/256GB Embedded NVMe Storage + SD

Super Switch Lite - 6.2" Portable-Only w/ 128GB Embedded NVMe Storage + SD

Super Switch Pro - Home Console w/ 1TB Replaceable NVMe Storage + SD, 50% Memory & Bandwidth Boost, Full CPU/GPU Clocks, 2x GPU Area

Super Switch Pro - Home Console w/ 1TB Replaceable NVMe Storage + SD, 50% Memory & Bandwidth Boost, Full CPU/GPU Clocks, 2x GPU Area

Thought about this... and while I wouldn't rule it out completely... it's going to be difficult to come up with that balance between offering something that gives people a reason to buy it and not making the Switch 2's docked mode look bad.

In any case I would expect it to be a mid cycle thing.

HighPoly

Banned
The more time it takes, closer Switch 2 will be to Xbox Series S, on portable mode...
Then the DOCK mode will be closer to PS5 performance...

Does anyone agree with me?? if not, please tell me why

Celcius

°Temp. member
Let's say that Switch 2 really isn't coming until next year... what Switch games are any of you looking forward to this year?
Metroid Prime 4 is literally the only known Switch game left that I'm looking forward to (unless they announce more stuff this year)...

Robb

Gold Member
what Switch games are any of you looking forward to this year?
Out of the announced stuff I think only Paper Mario TTYD right now. But I assume they’ll also release Metroid Prime 2/3 as well. Still though, that’s only remakes/remasters…

I’ll (hopefully) be getting MP4 on “Switch 2”, so I’m not really looking forward to that on Switch anymore.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

This is the model I would buy.
Maybe but I wouldn't expect it to blow the Deck's doors off either.
Who knows?

CS Lurker

Let's say that Switch 2 really isn't coming until next year... what Switch games are any of you looking forward to this year?
Metroid Prime 4 is literally the only known Switch game left that I'm looking forward to (unless they announce more stuff this year)...

I'm already expecting more remasters from GCN, DS, 3DS, Wii...

But I still have some faith for a 2024 release.

Woopah

Yeah I don't know what they will do for their holiday release, as I figured a new console with whatever software they had for it would be their big holiday sellers. Nintendo is likely going to rely pretty heavily on remasters to fill the year, at least there is Unicorn Overlord, Ys X, and possibly the Peach game, on top of a few announced remasters for me to look forward to for the year, but yeah it's going to be a slow burn this year. I guess we will see what Nintendo had planned for up to the fall season for releases next direct.
If we get Prime 4, a Donkey Kong game and an FE4 remake I'd be happy with that.
There are currently no 2024 Switch games from any publisher that I am interested in, so it will probably either finish off my back log or buy a PS5.

Cyberpunkd

Super Switch - 8" Hybrid Portable/Dockable w/256GB Embedded NVMe Storage + SD

Super Switch Lite - 6.2" Portable-Only w/ 128GB Embedded NVMe Storage + SD

Having a dedicated dock that significantly boosts games makes much more sense and should be a way to go.

Switch 2 undocked - PS4 quality
Switch 2 docked - PS5

Rumours of Switch 2 being delayed could also mean it will be released very soon. That's typical of Nintendo.

Didn't they already schedule 10 million Switch 2 for the fiscal year?

Woopah

Rumours of Switch 2 being delayed could also mean it will be released very soon. That's typical of Nintendo.

Didn't they already schedule 10 million Switch 2 for the fiscal year?
Nintendo hasn't revealed any number for Switch 2 yet. Probably at their next financial report in May.

Top Bottom