• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch 2 Reportedly Delayed to 2025

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Their main target audience are children and families, so they won't care as long as there are games like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc.
The potential problem is that kids already have those on the Switch.

Bojji

Holy shit bro. And 8nm is a shitty Samsung node....... Nintendo will launch their console with a nice profit margin day 1 and they don't give a single fuck

yH826zu.gif

Kepler, maxwell and Pascal were improving in terms of power efficiency and then Ampere came it was hot and power hungry (Ada is back with great perf/watt).

Ampere on that shitty 8nm Samsung node is the worst choice for handheld.

Video games suck man lol

The industry is at an all time state of suckiness in terms of the business side of things ...if it's not delays it's wokeness, greedy monetization schemes, gaas, consolidation, forced always online, unfinished performance problems at launch, forced crossplay, false advertising, etc

What keeps me from finding a new hobby is of course that there are still many great games being made at least ..love hate relationship

Marvel14

Banned
How so? They were clearly planning on releasing new hardware for 2020 but Covid happened so the pivoted to just using an OLED screen. Nintendo is cheap af and if anything they would purposefully wait for the tech to get even cheaper over the years to cut down on manufacturing costs. Nintendo has had no problem putting out weak(er) consoles and Switch only proved they can succeed with it.

Don't expect Nintendo to actually use current, i.e. expensive tech. They're most likely using the same shit they were going to use after the Switch Pro was to be released... back in 2020.
I'm expecting 2021-22 tech. They tried "gimped with gimmick" with the Wii U and it was a disaster. Theyre not going to do that again..
It would not have been that hard for Nintendo to ask Nvidia for a scaleable custom SoC with low, med and high spec variants to test. Probably already have an OLED version ready to go too....

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm expecting 2021-22 tech. They tried "gimped with gimmick" with the Wii U and it was a disaster. Theyre not going to do that again..
It would not have been that hard for Nintendo to ask Nvidia for a scaleable custom SoC with low, med and high spec variants to test. Probably already have an OLED version ready to go too....

So you believe they're going to release a system everyone can emulate at better quality on their smartphones/PC handhelds on day 1 again? I wonder if Nintendo would survive another generation of all their games being better played on other devices.

Maybe Nintendo don’t wont to go against PS5 Pro.PS5 is was more Hype than Switch or its unknown succesor.The Pro Version will make big impact especially on the the casuals and First time ownersof a PS5

Luigi Mario

So this delay is actually happening.

One publishing source suggested the delay was so that Nintendo could prepare stronger first-party software for the console.
Although we should wait for more concrete info to come out, but that some of their first-party stuff is apparently not ready for launch is certainly surprising.

Last edited:
Here's the part you don't understand: of course a device that converges a handheld and console is an attractive proposition, this was proven by the Switch almost instantly, close to seven years ago.

But Nintendo also realized that to make such a thing happen, additional conditions had to be met: release schedules needed to improve significantly, and power needed to be restricted so that the form factors could converge without breaking the bank or defying physics.

This is something they've understood for close to twenty years now, and they've been realigning themselves in this direction ever since. Their philosophy of less power consumption and smaller form factor for their home consoles goes all the way back to the Wii. Simultaneously, they upped the power of their handhelds (GBA to DS to 3DS) until the two could meet each other, which is what the Switch is.

Sony and Microsoft, meanwhile, continued to chase power for their consoles, which means they cannot quickly transition to a portable form factor with equivalent performance. The best Sony could do was release the portal, which is a Wii U half step. Microsoft released the Series S which was also a half-step.

These could potentially set the stage for a converging platform in the next generation (PS6 and the next Xbox), but only if Sony and MS agree to not chase raw power for those systems. Which they just stated this week is exactly what they intend to do.
So either they'll be left supporting two non-equivalent form factors, which means spending more development resources, or the they'll aim for the lowest common denominator of the two, which is what Microsoft has been doing with Series S and X, resulting in cries from gamers that the Series S is holding back graphics on Xbox.

You can't have it all.

You're one of the most hilariously ignorant people I've seen on neogaf... congratulations?

First, you admit that it is already a proven model.

Second, you prove that you don't understand that games are entirely scalable now. God of War can easily run on a handheld. The steam deck has shown that. That has nothing to do with release schedules or physics... Did you have a stroke?

Third, they didn't up the power level until they could meet each other, that's just the natural course of things. It's not like they kept making their consoles weaker at the same time. The Gamecube is more powerful than the Wii, and the Wii U is more powerful than the Wii. They didn't meet in the middle, they simply stopped improving the console aspect of it and focused only on the handheld, giving it the ability to play at higher resolution when docked. Do you think the dock has its own GPU and CPU? No, the Switch is just powered down on purpose when it isn't in docked mode.

There are greatly diminishing returns on consoles, so every generation of handheld is going to move drastically in catching up as the returns aren't as diminishing there yet, which is precisely why a PS5 handheld is more realistic now that it was in 2020 or even in 2023 (when this thing eventually comes out in 2025 or 2026). Will it run 4K60? No, and it doesn't need to.

Four, you say Sony and Microsoft have chased power, but this entire generation has been crossgen, proving the very scalability that I'm talking about. It wasn't until recently that the PS5 really started getting exclusives, and the XSX still shares games with the XSS.

You continue to argue that the Portal is the best they could do because they haven't done something else... Again that's a logical fallacy, that you don't understand that is pretty sad and pathetic.

The problem with the Series S is that it has the same form factor as the Series X in that it is a table top console. If they had made the Series S a portable, even a stepped-down Series S, it would have made far more success for them. The idea that the Series S "holds back" the Series X is simply because Microsoft said the games had to have parity, which they're now backing off of.

It's interesting because it seems like gamers ignore reality. An RTX 4090 plays the same games that a video card from 10 years ago plays.

Fortnite plays on the 4090 and it plays on cell phones. The resources you're thinking of aren't what they are. Most of these games have sliders and all devs need to do is reduce resolution and framerate, and disable specific taxing enhancements that don't necessarily make or break the game.

nial

Gold Member
Although we should wait for more concrete info to come out, but that some of their first-party stuff is apparently not ready for launch is certainly surprising.
Looking at the development cycles of stuff like Mario Wonder, TOTK, MP4, ACNH and the next 3D Mario, yeah, it's not as good as people want to believe.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

This person posted this 4 months ago. on why he thinks the Switch 2 will be March 2025. His reasons make sense.

Not gonna lie, he makes some pretty decent points...I'm just so sick and tired of Switch at this point though. The newer 3rd party games are already struggling to run on this thing and it's completely missing out on games like P3 Reload and Visions of Mana. Honestly I'm somewhat hoping hardware sales crash and burn so that Nintendo has no choice but to release it later this year

A bunch of outlets are all confirming it now. It’s been delayed. Q1 2025.

Dang. Gonna be a light year, fellow Nintendo fans! Paper Mario, Luigi’s Mansion aaaaand I’m guessing not a whole lot else.
As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, at least this will be an opportunity for aa games and indie titles to fill in the gaps for AAA this year. Honestly I miss the numerous Japanese aa titles the 3DS and DS used to regularly get, so hopefully if this is delay to '25 is real, we'll get some of those in '24.

Luigi Mario

Looking at the development cycles of stuff like Mario Wonder, TOTK, MP4, ACNH and the next 3D Mario, yeah, it's not as good as people want to believe.
If Nintendo is willing to delay their entire console launch, it has to be about one of their big titles just not being ready.

Last edited:

Sojiro

This is so disappointing. Switch 2 was the thing I was really looking forward to for 2024.

Gotta wonder what the reason for the delay was… Hopefully this means the scalpers will have a tougher time completing wiping the inventory.
I don't know if you saw the second update but it says:

Eurogamer has now corroboated that the Switch 2 is set for a Q1 2025 release.

“The console’s launch moving into early next year – but still within the coming financial year – is designed to ensure Switch 2’s launch line-up features as many titles as possible, Eurogamer understands,” it said.

Honestly if it was pushed back for that reason I am personally more than ok with it. Unless you were expecting it to launch spring or summer this year (which no way in hell without any announcement yet), then realistically it would have been what, October or November that it would have released? This only delays the console another 4-5 months and if it's to ensure a better launch/launch window lineup I think that is fine. Having something to play on your new hardware is pretty important too, and we won't be getting a BotW size game to solely drive sales this go around. Definitely a bonus if Nintendo can use the extra time to pump out more units so scalpers aren't wiping supplies as you said.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
You're one of the most hilariously ignorant people I've seen on neogaf... congratulations?

First, you admit that it is already a proven model.

Second, you prove that you don't understand that games are entirely scalable now. God of War can easily run on a handheld. The steam deck has shown that. That has nothing to do with release schedules or physics... Did you have a stroke?

Third, they didn't up the power level until they could meet each other, that's just the natural course of things. It's not like they kept making their consoles weaker at the same time. The Gamecube is more powerful than the Wii, and the Wii U is more powerful than the Wii. They didn't meet in the middle, they simply stopped improving the console aspect of it and focused only on the handheld, giving it the ability to play at higher resolution when docked. Do you think the dock has its own GPU and CPU? No, the Switch is just powered down on purpose when it isn't in docked mode.

There are greatly diminishing returns on consoles, so every generation of handheld is going to move drastically in catching up as the returns aren't as diminishing there yet, which is precisely why a PS5 handheld is more realistic now that it was in 2020 or even in 2023 (when this thing eventually comes out in 2025 or 2026). Will it run 4K60? No, and it doesn't need to.

Four, you say Sony and Microsoft have chased power, but this entire generation has been crossgen, proving the very scalability that I'm talking about. It wasn't until recently that the PS5 really started getting exclusives, and the XSX still shares games with the XSS.

You continue to argue that the Portal is the best they could do because they haven't done something else... Again that's a logical fallacy, that you don't understand that is pretty sad and pathetic.

The problem with the Series S is that it has the same form factor as the Series X in that it is a table top console. If they had made the Series S a portable, even a stepped-down Series S, it would have made far more success for them. The idea that the Series S "holds back" the Series X is simply because Microsoft said the games had to have parity, which they're now backing off of.

It's interesting because it seems like gamers ignore reality. An RTX 4090 plays the same games that a video card from 10 years ago plays.

Fortnite plays on the 4090 and it plays on cell phones. The resources you're thinking of aren't what they are. Most of these games have sliders and all devs need to do is reduce resolution and framerate, and disable specific taxing enhancements that don't necessarily make or break the game.
I'm tired of this discussion. My points are based on what Nintendo has said and done and what Sony and Microsoft have said and done. Both have come out and said - this week! - that they intend their next consoles to continue chasing power, meaning they'll be more powerful than their current hardware.

Nintendo is heavily rumored, by reliable sources, to be releasing a system that will have the power of a PS4-PS4 Pro, depending on whether it's docked or not.

This hardware will have the state of the art in portable graphics by the industry leader. It will not be superceded within 18 months by a similarity priced device that has over 20 times the processing capability, which is what it would need to have to be in line with Sony's claim that they intend to continue pursuing power.

Your claim that a portable PS6 will release in 2026 having more power than the PS5 Pro and somehow cost about the same as that system, including screen, battery and drastically reduced form factor (the PS5 is a HUGE console, you'd need to reduce the volume by approximately 20 times to get a handheld form factor, and that's before multiplying the power by whatever amount required to be in line with Sony's statement) is wishful thinking based on speculation. And the best you can do is point out that just because something hasn't happened before, doesn't mean it's not going to happen, as if that's proof of anything.

Why bother releasing a PS5 Pro at all if this device is coming 18 months down the line after it? What's the point? Why is Sony saying they intend to continue pursuing power if have yet to capitalize on the power they have in the PS5 right now, let alone the Pro releasing later this year?

If your argument is that they'll release a PS5 Pro level device in a portable form factor then you're going to have to concede on some of the following points:

* It will not release in 2026
* It will not be as powerful or more than the PS5 Pro
* It will not sell for under $500
* It will be sold at a loss

Saying all four of those are false is an extremely bold claim that doesn't fit with what Sony are saying. And that's even before your other claim - the one I initially objected to - that Sony are doing a perfectly adequate job at supporting their platform with sufficient releases.

Have some self awareness if you intend to be this easily offended next time. Good night.

Last edited:
I'm tired of this discussion. My points are based on what Nintendo has said and done and what Sony and Microsoft have said and done. Both have come out and said - this week! - that they intend their next consoles to continue chasing power, meaning they'll be more powerful than their current hardware.

Nintendo is heavily rumored, by reliable sources, to be releasing a system that will have the power of a PS4-PS4 Pro, depending on whether it's docked or not.

This hardware will have the state of the art in portable graphics by the industry leader. It will not be superceded within 18 months by a similarity priced device that has over 20 times the processing capability, which is what it would need to have to be in line with Sony's claim that they intend to continue pursuing power.

Your claim that a portable PS6 will release in 2026 having more power than the PS5 Pro and somehow cost about the same as that system, including screen, battery and drastically reduced form factor (the PS5 is a HUGE console, you'd need to reduce the volume by approximately 20 times to get a handheld form factor, and that's before multiplying the power by whatever amount required to be in line with Sony's statement) is wishful thinking based on speculation. And the best you can do is point out that just because something hasn't happened before, doesn't mean it's not going to happen, as if that's proof of anything.

Why bother releasing a PS5 Pro at all if this device is coming 18 months down the line after it? What's the point? Why is Sony saying they intend to continue pursuing power if have yet to capitalize on the power they have in the PS5 right now, let alone the Pro releasing later this year?

If your argument is that they'll release a PS5 Pro level device in a portable form factor then you're going to have to concede on some of the following points:

Saying all four of those are false is an extremely bold claim that doesn't fit with what Sony are saying. And that's even before your other claim - the one I initially objected to - that Sony are doing a perfectly adequate job at supporting their platform with sufficient releases.

Have some self awareness if you intend to be this easily offended next time. Good night.

You're all over the place. I'm going to highlight inline where you're full of shit or just nt tracking.

My points are based on what Nintendo has said and done and what Sony and Microsoft have said and done. Both have come out and said - this week! - that they intend their next consoles to continue chasing power, meaning they'll be more powerful than their current hardware.

Microsoft said they're not console will have the largest jump. First this is PR, it doesn't actually mean anything, but even if this were true, it would not prevent them from releasing a handheld that played the same games. Again games are scalable to this point where games systems from 10+ years ago can play games that are made today. The majority of games still release on PS4. Sony actually said that it'll be difficult to make their next system a lot more powerful.

You have a reading comprehension issue and you don't understand what the Switch does when it is or isn't docked.

You clearly have no idea how fast graphical power and efficiencies can be made. 18 months is a lifetime.

Again, you have SERIOUS comprehension issues. I never said it would be a portable PS6. I said it would be a portable PS5. I specifically said it would be scaled down from the PS5, so where did you get that it would be more powerful than the PS5 Pro? Are you on drugs?

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, at least this will be an opportunity for aa games and indie titles to fill in the gaps for AAA this year. Honestly I miss the numerous Japanese aa titles the 3DS and DS used to regularly get, so hopefully if this is delay to '25 is real, we'll get some of those in '24.
A Switch port of Radiant Historia would be excellent.

Last edited:

lestar

Well, if it had been launched this year, it meant it would be released at holidays, there was no other option if it was announced before the end of this Q1. If they announce it after this Q1, as they did with the Switch, it would potentially mean it's released before the end of Q1 2025, and it makes sense. It's not that much of a delay tbh. it would be bad if it launched at holidays of 2025.

Sojiro

I'm antipating a very poor 2024 from Nintendo in terms of first party games then.
Yeah I don't know what they will do for their holiday release, as I figured a new console with whatever software they had for it would be their big holiday sellers. Nintendo is likely going to rely pretty heavily on remasters to fill the year, at least there is Unicorn Overlord, Ys X, and possibly the Peach game, on top of a few announced remasters for me to look forward to for the year, but yeah it's going to be a slow burn this year. I guess we will see what Nintendo had planned for up to the fall season for releases next direct.

locoghoul

Neo Member
If I'm Nintendo and there is a good chance Microsoft and Sony enter the handheld market and I'm largely stuck with a hybrid system that is the worst of both worlds, I reconsider my strategy.

Nintendo should be pivoting to a 3 SKU strategy. Switch 2, Switch 2 Lite, and Switch 2 Pro.

Switch 2 Pro being on par with the PS5 Pro.

Nintendo has a unique position to absorb a lot of dissatisfied Xbox consumers while protecting their strength in the handheld space.

Even if Microsoft and Sony aren't able to dethrone Nintendo in the handheld space, even cutting into their sales by 30-40 percent would be devastating to Nintendo.

A lazy switch 2 that is just a more powerful switch isn't going to be the success story in the long run that the switch was.
Good thing you are not Nintendo. Your strategy "fearing" a possible MS handheld is bonkers. Remember the "Switch killer" Steam deck? Asus and Lenovo have released their handhelds too. I don't see Nintendo losing sleep or markets being lost. It is maybe surpassing the PS2 in units sold this year

Top Bottom