• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch successor to be released in March 2025 — Nikkei

Nintendo will release a successor to the Nintendo Switch game console in March 2025. Like the Switch, it is expected to be a game console that has the features of both a stationary and portable version. Many in the industry predicted that it would be released in 2024, but we prioritized taking measures to prevent resale and securing an initial stock of successor machines and an assortment of popular software from the time of release.

The successor model will have a larger screen than the Switch (6.2 inches for the standard model), and will be able to play games that feature higher-definition image quality.

Looks like the rest of the article is behind a paywall.

Edit: Here's The Verge article on this new Nikkei report

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
z1CGFaO.png

No hope.

Dcr1d3r

Looks like the rest of the article is behind a paywall.

Xum2FX6.gif

Oberstein

Well, I guess we can finally say goodbye to 2024. That's a lot of clues pointing to the following year. And from serious sources.

But at least there's more chance of a cross-gen Metroid IV now.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Pretty hilarious how the Nintendo console everyone thought would flop is going to end up being the highest selling video game console in history.

Kuranghi

Can Switch 2 run GTA6 by then? It’ll be huge if it does.

I'm gonna say Nyoes.

The issue is gonna be memory and CPU power limitations, you can always crush the resolution, effects and such down but there's a limit to how much you can reduce the impact of the first two things without either changing the gameplay experience fundamentally or it just running at sub 30fps with large pauses when loading new content in the open world.

I'm sure there are now chips that could bypass some of these issues, but they're all far too expensive to be put in the Switch 2, and even if they were they still rely on other components that are too big to put in a handheld.

This post comes courtesy of Kuranghi's semi-semi-knowledgeable computering expertise while he drinks his coffee in bed, please don't take it too seriously and do your own research to find out the actual reasons why it's difficult to have next gen open worlds on a handheld.

Kuranghi

Hip Hop

Pretty hilarious how the Nintendo console everyone thought would flop is going to end up being the highest selling video game console in history.

I'm on the first page of that thread, it keeps getting brought back from time to time lol

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Good. It gives Nintendo longer to prepare a strong launch lineup.

I'm going with Metroid Prime 4, Mario mainline and Mario Kart 9 as first party launch games.

Can Switch 2 run GTA6 by then? It’ll be huge if it does

I highly doubt it. It'll be able to run GTA5, but GTA 6 might be a step too far.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, been saying this for a long time now and I think many others have too. Things just line up too perfectly.

Will be saving a few hundreds quid from my wedding gifts for this I reckon, need something to do on the honeymoon when she's snoring the mornings away...

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You’ll get one of those. This is Nintendo.

MK8 actually didn't drop for Switch for nearly 2 months, easy to forgot that and Odyssey being almost a year later. I think we were all so blown away by BOTW we forgot.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
MK8 actually didn't drop for Switch for nearly 2 months, easy to forgot that and Odyssey being almost a year later. I think we were all so blown away by BOTW we forgot.
Odyssey came out in October I think. 7 months and change after launch. They also had Splatoon 2 out a few months after launch. There was basically always something new coming out that first year and that kept the units hard to find.

Hudo

I remember that thread. GAF loved to shit on Michael Pachter but boy, this forum is just as bad with its takes.

AV

Odyssey came out in October I think. 7 months and change after launch. They also had Splatoon 2 out a few months after launch. There was basically always something new coming out that first year and that kept the units hard to find.

Yeah, all release window rather than at launch itself. Depends on your definition of "launch games" I guess.

It was quite funny being one of the apparently few people using Amazon Prime in the UK at the time, regular Amazon didn't have launch day Switches (few places did) but I remember opening the Prime app when I woke up and seeing a Switch + BOTW bundle just sitting there for same-day delivery. Hell of a Friday.

Hudo

Which means a reveal would be like this December or so? I highly doubt that Nintendo gonna reveal Switch 2 this MarchApril (as some "leakers" suggested) when the release is a year away.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sounds like they really want to try to dethrone PS2, lol.
Not that I believe it’s possible at this point, unless they have a killer hit for the holidays (and many people who sold their Switch in the meantime will hold and wait to play it on Switch 2 anyway). It would be the most glorious day in the history of console wars, but I don’t think we’ll see it.

Then again, we’ve heard so many rumors by now that there’s really no reason to believe this one in particular.
Back to waiting…

Do most Nintendo users believe it will launch between $349-399 and have the power closer to the PS5 and be able to run almost everything? Or it’s still a pipe dream?

Fbh

Damn that's still a year away. I guess it gives them extra time to prepare a strong lineup.
Year 1 of the Switch is still the best year it ever had: BotW, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 , etc

Do most Nintendo users believe it will launch between $349-399 and have the power closer to the PS5 and be able to run almost everything? Or it’s still a pipe dream?

Close to Ps5 performance for less money, in a portable form factor and with a company that generally doesn't sell hardware at a loss?
No way.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
GTA6 is probably not out by then. And a potential "switch 2" version would probably be stripped to hell and back.
A cloud stream version seems like a safer bet.
The hardware will probably be at PS4 levels, so chances are that could run with a RDR2 level of optimization. Will Rockstar do it? Can't see it, but we can also be surprised

@thread
Makes sense launching by the start of the fiscal year. I'm all aboard this train, baby

Last edited:

Interfectum

They must be running into software issues because Switch 2 needs to come out like now... not a year from now. Pretty crazy we have to go through another Christmas without it.

So Switch Lite OLED this year? Any takers?

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

100% fine with this. Was dreading trying to get one preordered at retail so hopefully the larger launch stock will mitigate that to a point.

Metroid Prime 4 still needs to release this Fall with an upgraded option available for the Switch 2 in March.

Bond007

We were all expecting 2024.
I guess from their standpoint they can milk it another year and create additional hype and stock. It also allows them to launch alone rather than any sort of comparisons with PS5 Pro - warranted or not.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Nintendo doesn´t have the NEED to release a Switch 2 this year. It´s not the 90s anymore where the company who released early would win the race.
Only thing I´m worried about is that the hardware will by then be already old news. But remember: The NVidia shield released in 2015, the Switch with same hardware in 2017. So by next year, the Tegra X1 will be 10 years old!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sigh, I guess 2024 isn’t going to be the year I had hoped it would be.
What’s next… the PS5 Pro isn’t even real?

Top Bottom