• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 will "likely be an iteration rather than a revolution" and launch at $400, according to a Tokyo-based game industry consultancy firm

Deerock71

Thank God Seinfeld GIF by HULU

Not that I dislike Nintendo and their quirky off the wall ideas/concepts, but an improved Switch is exactly what I want. It’s too good to not keep going with.
Not only that, but things akin to Steam Deck is their only true competition.

Sintoid

Technically the right move but not the right price.
Nintendo real user base target price is around 200-250$ as proven by Wii & Switch

Sintoid

The best selling Switch models are the 299 standard and the 349 OLED. I think the successor will be at least $50 more than the OLED.

I assume that Oled is not for the wide market but for the hardcore fanbase. So it's a 100-120$ price upgrade (and I don't think that in 400$ Nintendo will deliver both specs upgrade and display upgrade - there will be a future Switch 2 Oled)

Shin-Ra

I predict a wireless suppository for total immersion in a complete new feel of experiencing games...
Rez Infinite port guaranteed.
3vk0a5qrvjd41.jpg

Maybe they'll ray trace a few puddles and shadows. Since that's all it takes to get people to pay $500 + $70 it should be an easy sell.
Native (portable)display resolution with decent AA as standard in Nintendo FP games would be a good start.

S0ULZB0URNE

Don't do the portable thing.
Always played the Switch on the dock...

Rather it be a home 'console' oh well.
Just hope it has some muscle.
Day one regardless.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

The appeal of the Switch comes from it's low price, it would need to justify being priced at $400.
"Fortunately, we have a product for the poor anche the cheapskates who want to play Pokémon: it's called the Nintendo Switch."

Not that I believe this fully. File it under the Switch 2 rumors, it's likely none of them will get it 100%. A prediction any GAFfer can make is just a challenge for Nintendo's craziness.

Shin-Ra

Call it the Super Switch, fix the stick drift, make it as powerful as the Steam Deck, add Bluetooth, and kick that bitch out the door.
As a game-playing focused device they should implement a very low latency wireless+audio codec technology, even if it means going proprietary.

Going Bluetooth means either high latency with high compatibility or low-ish latency with limited compatibility.

nial

Gold Member
Switch 2 just being PS4 level of power would be lame as hell, considering the original was much more powerful than the PS3.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I just want better joycons, they are so bad, the rubber comes off, the drift, all of it. They need to invest the extra 2ct.

I imagine there will be a Switch 2 Lite at some point. Which will be decently cheaper than $400.

Switch 2 just being PS4 level of power would be lame as hell, considering the original was much more powerful than the PS3.

Getting much better than that would mean either abandoning portability or using an expensive node that they won't do.

If this is backwards compatible i may buy my first Nintendo console since the Gamecube tbh.

It'll have BC for sure. The question is whether it will have physical BC (Iffy, given the exploits) and will you have to pay to upgrade on digital.

A 400-dollar price tag, likely significantly weaker than the PS5 and the PS5 (digital) probably dropping in price down to as low as 350 by the time this launches is going to be a difficult market for it, especially as the PS5 starts to hit its stride with software over the next couple of years.

The advantages of being a handheld are greatly diminished at 400 dollars and the advantages of being a console aren't strong enough to compete with other consoles with the tech and price.

Unless they release a handheld version day 1 for less, this won't perform anywhere close to the Switch did.

WoJ

Just give me BC and I am there day one. If you remaster/re-release Xenoblade Chronicles X as a launch title I may have to go to the hospital because it lasted longer than 4 hours.

nial

Gold Member
Getting much better than that would mean either abandoning portability or using an expensive node that they won't do.
Yeah, this is the part I don't understand. Having more powerful hardware than those of 11-year old consoles was feasible in 2017, but it just isn't now?
Not a tech guy, genuinely asking.

Probably true, since they have to do a hybrid next time because that’s what people like about the Switch. but otherwise this is complete speculation and they don’t have any actual information to report on.

So the whole article is just pointless blabbering about somebody thinking out loud.

Last edited:

squarealex

Good Luck to Nintendo to make people pay again for the same concept

The 3DS sales far less than the DS and less the PSP. Switch 2 have Steam Deck and Steam Deck 2 in competition + all the chinese product based on Ryzen APU + Mobile ARM like iPhone Pro 15 when this is the begining of powerful ARM APU. And Valve invest more in Japan with SteamDeck.

Lokaum D+

Because it a portable, and will be the only way to play Nintendo games going forward.

something something games sell hardware something.

Another way to look at it is, A PS4 would probably cost you $200 to make, now throw in a controller, screen, dock to connect to your TV and you have a Switch 2.
the console cost me 200, a smartphone screen, a shit ass controller ( joycons ) and a chip dock is another 200 ? make sense

Filben

I'm still holding out and waiting for the Switch 2 to play TotK in higher resolution and with better AA. Hope it arrives soon.

Markio128

I’d be more than happy with an iteration of the Switch, but man, I’d give my left bollock for a Nintendo VR headset. I’ve played Mario Kart VR at my local shopping centre and it’s fun as hell. Add Mario Golf, Tennis, and VR versions of Metroid and Zelda and, well, you can have both bollocks.

Hudo

but then the Wii U was just so completely awful that it made playing games not fun.
I feel you but on the other hand: Super Mario Maker was far better on the Wii U than Super Mario Maker 2 on Switch. But granted, that was a very specific application for that system.

I feel you but on the other hand: Super Mario Maker was far better on the Wii U than Super Mario Maker 2 on Switch. But granted, that was a very specific application for that system.
Yeah. I’d also put Xenoblade X in that very short list of maybe 2 games. 😆. Playing with a Pro controller and keeping the GamePad near you with the map always showing was crucial

I love how people think Sony is going to cut the price on the DE to $350 or below when they literally just raised the price.

You're talking to someone who literally called the price increase.

Them increasing the price doesn't mean they'll never reduce the price.

It's like saying, why would they increase the price of the digital and then bundle the standard with Spider-Man 2. These things aren't exclusionary.

There is a very good chance that with the launch of the PS5 Pro, that the non-Pro models will see a price cut. I also think the price increase was so that they could later sell the PS5 DE for 350 instead of 300 when they dropped the price of the standard to 400.

Embearded

There is no reason to try to reinvent the wheel. They have a very good device and customers want more of the same this time, o they should provide just that.
Good for them.

Mr.Phoenix

the console cost me 200, a smartphone screen, a shit ass controller ( joycons ) and a chip dock is another 200 ? make sense
You forgot Nintendo tax. Nintendo doesn't sell shit at a loss.

Personally, contrary to what this thread seems to think, I don't think a switch 2 based on the same formula would be anywhere near as successful as the current switch if it costs $399.

But that's another story.

Last edited:

Woopah

I assume that Oled is not for the wide market but for the hardcore fanbase. So it's a 100-120$ price upgrade (and I don't think that in 400$ Nintendo will deliver both specs upgrade and display upgrade - there will be a future Switch 2 Oled)
In the last fiscal year, over half of Switches sold were the OLED model, so it's currently the version favoured by the wide market.

It's appeal stretches beyond the hardcore.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
"Do that again, only better" is the only mantra they need with this formula.

YES!!!!!! Please. I'm buying my 4-year old daughter a Switch (gotta start them off the right way), so this helps her (and me) out if the Switch 2 is a better version of the Switch.

Top Bottom