• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Nintendo Switch 2 to have 512GB Internal Storage and Backwards compatibility

Source:

They say NateTheHate/MVG info on Switch 2 is "right in the money". Their report on Switch 2 is here:

In short:
  • 8 inches LCD display
  • 512 GB of internal storage
  • production starting early next year for a H2 launch
You should have a mod change the title to "Switch 2" otherwise everyone's going to think you're just talking about the original or that there's a new version of the original coming out.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Jesus Christ you would hope it’s not an LCD and it’s actually backwards compatible but does go against their mantra of charging you yet again for the same rom every single generation.
It isn't that bad really. Well, it isn't for me because I mainly use it docked.

I know i mentioned this many times. But, I see ”Pro’s and Con’s” of BC from business standpoint, but…I wonder how the consumer and public will react if there is NO BC.

I feel like Nintendo has an opportunity to have the biggest launch since the PS1 to PS2. It would be amazing to me if Nintendo, pulls a Nintendo and loses that momentum.

ALSO, FOOD FOR THOUGHT…NINTENDO HAS MENTIONED REPEATEDLY that getting NSO online users to continue subscribing as they transition to “future hardware”. ***IF*** Switch 2 is not BC, all those freebies on NSO online MK8 DLC, Animal Crossing DLC, Splatoon 2 DLC, etc are no longer compatible. What incentive do consumers have to believe Nintendo about NSO and also a digital future from Nintendo?

Last edited:

Xellos

I'd be OK with curated BC (like 360->XBO) if it comes to that. I'd prefer full BC. No BC at all would be pretty terrible.

512GB would be surprising, Nintendo is usually pretty stingy with their built-in storage. I wonder if it'll be a "fridge" situation where games have to be on that storage to run. MicroSD is the most likely expansion option for Switch 2, and unfortunately it's just very slow.

LCD is not as good as OLED but I'm not too bothered by that. LCD can be good enough.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
the switch 2 or whatever they call it needs to just be a modest upgrade over the switch for handled mode (1080p) and a slight ram and cpu upgrade with a base dock. They should also release a egpu dock which allows FSR or DLSS style upscaling from 1080p to 1440p/4k resolutions with a hard drive bay. Sell that at an additional $200-300.

Just enforce that all titles are 1080p base 30/60. This would allow backward compatibility at least in handheld mode and some future proofing for console modes.

Really dislike the LCD screens but they could use a modern version with better lighting and a glossy screen to give it an oled style.

Of course switch 2 rev2.0 will have the oled in 4 years

tkscz

Orin Nano as the SoC would be my guess.
Before Nintendo canceled it, the Switch "Pro" was going to use the 16GB Orin AGX (1700 CUDA core model and not the 2048 CUDA core model), I don't think they would then downgrade from there. The Switch uses the AGX model of the X1 after all.

But considering the timing here they are giving for production, might run on Tegra Thor instead of Orin. They waited on the 5nm Ampere+ before nvidia cann'd it, sure they could wait a little longer for Thor.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
These guys alsos said no big games were gonna be announced after TOTKs and then Nintnedos announces Wonder and RPG like a week later

clirckbait my friends

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

Mr.Phoenix

Well of course it would be an lcd. How else can do make a new version 18 months later with an oled screen? Seriously tough, at launch, using an lcd instead of oled will be a good cost saver. By 2026 when other components in the Switch are cheaper, then they can splurge on the oled.

BlakeofT

Hopefully it isn't such a huge nightmare to get this console like it was for Wii and the original Switch. I was lucky enough to not be affected by those shortages, but I would absolutely lose my mind if it ever happened to me.

CamHostage

Not too invested in the rumor, but whatever storage Sm the next Switch comes with, I hope it's high- speed NMVe/SD Express and optimized for rapid bandwidth&indexing.

The speed of new- gen consoles is impossible to go back from, especially on a portable.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
If there is no full BC, I am going to wait a few years for inevitable OLED. Hopefully Nintendo execs haven't completely lost their minds, but who knows.
I know people who are still waiting for Switch Pro, You might be joining their club

reinking

Gold Member
No BC no Buy for me.

Not to worry, Nintendo will probably still get my money from me having to buy it for family members.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I'd be OK with curated BC (like 360->XBO) if it comes to that. I'd prefer full BC. No BC at all would be pretty terrible.

512GB would be surprising, Nintendo is usually pretty stingy with their built-in storage. I wonder if it'll be a "fridge" situation where games have to be on that storage to run. MicroSD is the most likely expansion option for Switch 2, and unfortunately it's just very slow.

LCD is not as good as OLED but I'm not too bothered by that. LCD can be good enough.

512GB is pretty bad for a gaming system. 2-4 AAA games fills that up (figuring like ~420GB or so after formatting / OS and reserved space given PS5 was 1TB -> 800GB). Starfield being 125GBs, so like 3 of those, and FFVIIR Part 2 being what like 200GBs, maybe just 2 of those. But I guess you can probably fit ~100 Nintendo games in that space so maybe it's fine, not like it'll be for AAA games other than Nintendo's anyway.

If they went with 64GB or 128GB you'd have third party launch games not fitting on the system.

512gb minimum, also needs m.2 storage. As micro sd, is too slow, and data is easily corrupted, lcd is fine, need to keep costs down somehow. Fix the dam joycons plz. 2tf minimum, ssd for fast loading, full backwards compatible is a must, even if they have to pay nvidia more money than they would like.

Last edited:
Do they maybe release two SKUs this time? One digital, one physical? Or just go all digital?
Or perhaps, they go full BC with physical and digital but all games made for the Switch 2 hardware will be all digital?

I'm sort of selfishly hoping they go all digital. The prices of physical Nintendo games would sky rocket and I could make some good money on that.

StereoVsn

I know people who are still waiting for Switch Pro, You might be joining their club
I am fine with that. If Nintendo won't have BC with new Switch, no rush. Hell, I was hoping for enhanced performance for those dynamic res/framerate titles.

One big reason I got both XSX and PS5 at release was just for that, better playing Xbox and PS4 games and that worked quite well in general.

Top Bottom