• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGC: Nintendo Switch 2 to have 512GB Internal Storage and Backwards compatibility

squarealex

"Switch 2" will be lazy name from Nintendo

They also said one dev told them its backwards compatible while another dev told them there is no backwards compatibility.

Very very suicidal if there no backward compatibility

Also LCD = big lol

Last edited:
Like always going the cheap way.

Hardware or display wise. No wonder my last Nintendo console was the GameCube.
UzDDK6G.gif

conpfreak

How did they react to the last Nintendo hardware to not have b/c?
While I'm fairly confident backwards compatibility will be present for Switch 2, it honestly will not matter to the general public if it's BC or not. That's because Nintendo has shown with the Switch that it will quickly deliver a quality library of titles, and fill in with ports/remasters if appropriate. The Switch will also be likely much cheaper by time the next Switch console releases, making that library much more accessible to those who are interested.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
512 seems too good to be true. Current Switch games are up to 50GB but you can play them from the SD Card. It's also true most of the games are 8/16GB.
The problem here is I doubt Switch 2 games can be launched from Sdcard, if they use the PS5/XSX philosophy. Nintendo could be forced to use fast cardridges or M2 drives.

Minsc

Gold Member
512 seems too good to be true. Current Switch games are up to 50GB but you can play them from the SD Card. It's also true most of the games are 8/16GB.
The problem here is I doubt Switch 2 games can be launched from Sdcard, if they use the PS5/XSX philosophy. Nintendo could be forced to use fast cardridges or M2 drives.

People seem to be forgetting Switch is a 720/1080p system when docked and Switch 2 is going to push 4k with upscaling most likely. Those 5GB games are going to turn in to 20GB games with HD textures, and likewise the 30GB ones in to 100GB+

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
charlie-murphy-wrong.gif

For Nintendo, naming the Switch successor "Switch 2" would literally be one of the smartest and most effective ways of naming a Nintendo console successor since the Super Nintendo.

Nintendo would be mighty stupid to not take that chance.
I dunno I feel like there’s no rhyme or reason to Nintendo’s naming schemes and there’s no connection between “effective naming” and commercial success.

Nintendo DS was a weird name but it became so successful they literally killed off the Gameboy successor.

Wii sounded retarded and got nothing but mockery pre-release, and well, we saw how that turned out.

And of course both systems got backwards compatible follow-ups that tried to capitalize on the name recognition of the original, and neither came anywhere near repeating their successes.

Gallard

Sweet! Juicy Switch 2 rumors 🤤

I understand people are disappointed by the lack of OLED out of the gate - the reason is it's harder to do.

For some insight into the matter, see this Valve spokesperson on why Steam Deck doesn't have OLED.

Valve says making an OLED Steam Deck would be more work than people assume
I think people are looking at things like an incremental version and assume that it’s an easy drop-in. But in reality, the screen’s at the core of the device. Everything is anchored to it. Basically everything is architected around everything when you’re talking about a device that small.

“I think it would be a bigger amount of work than people are assuming it would be,” he stated, adding: “I don’t think we’re discounting anything. But the idea that you could just swap in a new screen and be done – it would need more than that to be doable.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sweet! Juicy Switch 2 rumors 🤤

I understand people are disappointed by the lack of OLED out of the gate - the reason is it's harder to do.

For some insight into the matter, see this Valve spokesperson on why Steam Deck doesn't have OLED.

Valve says making an OLED Steam Deck would be more work than people assume

what? Nowhere did they say it’s harder to make a device with an OLED screen than with LCD. They said it requires some effort to take a device that was originally designed for an LCD screen and update it to use OLED.

No offense but your post takes me back to the Wii U rumor days, when tech-illiterate Nintendo fanboys would run damage control about every dumb Nintendo design decision that leaked out.

Last edited:

Bridges

The sad truth is that it's gonna be day one from me no matter what. The allure of Nintendo's first party is too strong. But it will be criminal if this does not have BC. With the Switch, even if I didn't like it's lack of BC, it made sense. The media format changed and most people skipped the Wii U anyway. Doing it again would be a bad move, especially after they've already double dipped on most of their Wii U catalogue like MK8.

Last edited:

Gallard

Not sure if that quote is relevant in Nintendo’s case though since they already have a device that do use an OLED. So you’d think they’d already have most things “architected around” OLED to begin with.
Switch 2 isn't the same as Switch 1. It'd have different screen size, different battery size, different heat distributions - they absolutely have to rearchitect

what? Nowhere did they say it’s harder to make a device with an OLED screen than with LCD. They said it requires some effort to take a device that was originally designed for an LCD screen and update it to use OLED.

No offense but your post takes me back to the Wii U rumor days, when tech-illiterate Nintendo fanboys would run damage control about every dumb Nintendo design decision that leaked out.

Steam Deck developer Pierre-Lou Griffais: I think people are looking at things like an incremental version and assume that it’s an easy drop-in. But in reality, the screen’s at the core of the device. Everything is anchored to it. Basically everything is architected around everything when you’re talking about a device that small.

“I think it would be a bigger amount of work than people are assuming it would be,” he stated, adding: “I don’t think we’re discounting anything. But the idea that you could just swap in a new screen and be done – it would need more than that to be doable.”

If the Steam Deck developer rejects the notion that something is "easy", than he is implictly saying that it is "harder". Now, maybe you maintain that it is not harder, but an "equal" amount of effort but in a different direction. In which case, what are you saying you want Nintendo to do? Architect 2 entirely different solutions out of the gate, one for OLED and one for LCD?

I'll trust the words of the actual Steam Deck developer, thanks.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Switch 2 isn't the same as Switch 1. It'd have different screen size, different battery size, different heat distributions - they absolutely have to rearchitect

Steam Deck developer Pierre-Lou Griffais: I think people are looking at things like an incremental version and assume that it’s an easy drop-in. But in reality, the screen’s at the core of the device. Everything is anchored to it. Basically everything is architected around everything when you’re talking about a device that small.

“I think it would be a bigger amount of work than people are assuming it would be,” he stated, adding: “I don’t think we’re discounting anything. But the idea that you could just swap in a new screen and be done – it would need more than that to be doable.”

If the Steam Deck developer rejects the notion that something is "easy", than he is implictly saying that it is "harder". Now, maybe you maintain that it is not harder, but an "equal" amount of effort but in a different direction. In which case, what are you saying you want Nintendo to do? Architect 2 entirely different solutions out of the gate, one for OLED and one for LCD?

I'll trust the words of the actual Steam Deck developer, thanks.
That isn’t saying what you think it’s saying. Nowhere does he say that it takes more effort to design a system with OLED than one with LCD. Your reading comprehension is sorely lacking.

And what do I want Nintendo to do? Make it OLED so it isn’t a damn downgrade from the screen they already use on the OLED Switch.

Robb

Gold Member
You might be right, I’ll be happy to admit I have no clue how much work it is. But wouldn’t this be true for the new LCD display as well? Why would it be more work to rearchitect for OLED specifically?

Just seems to me it’d be a lot easier when you already have a distributor and a similar product in your pipeline/know-how.

Bojji

charlie-murphy-wrong.gif

For Nintendo, naming the Switch successor "Switch 2" would literally be one of the smartest and most effective ways of naming a Nintendo console successor since the Super Nintendo.

Nintendo would be mighty stupid to not take that chance.

Nintendo never have used "console name +1" before. I'm interested what they will do, they fucked up with Wii U (people thought it was add on).

Gallard

That isn’t saying what you think it’s saying. Nowhere does he say that it takes more effort to design a system with OLED than one with LCD. Your reading comprehension is sorely lacking.
Pierre-Lou Griffais: I think people are looking at things like an incremental version and assume that it’s an easy drop-in. But in reality, the screen’s at the core of the device. Everything is anchored to it. Basically everything is architected around everything when you’re talking about a device that small.

Perhaps you can help me to understand with hypothetical numerical measurements.

If making Switch 2 with an LCD is 100 units of effort. How many units of effort would it take Nintendo to launch both LCD and OLED versions? 150 units of effort? 101 units of effort?

Little Mac

Gold Member
I could be very wrong here ... but, for that size and dimensions, isn't there only like a $5-10 dollar difference in manufacturing cost between LCD and OLED screens?

I remember reading a breakdown sometime last year in regards to manufacturing costs of different types of smart phone screens and being surprised how close the prices were.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Pierre-Lou Griffais: I think people are looking at things like an incremental version and assume that it’s an easy drop-in. But in reality, the screen’s at the core of the device. Everything is anchored to it. Basically everything is architected around everything when you’re talking about a device that small.

Perhaps you can help me to understand with hypothetical numerical measurements.

If making Switch 2 with an LCD is 100 units of effort. How many units of effort would it take Nintendo to launch both LCD and OLED versions? 150 units of effort? 101 units of effort?
Nobody is asking them to launch both.

Bigbelly

Banned
If it is BC it will sell like hell tbh.
Nintendo will aim for a good price for the average consumer and won’t give a fuck about what people on a forum think.
GAF has been terrible predicting Nintendo success anyways.

Gallard

You might be right, I’ll be happy to admit I have no clue how much work it is. But wouldn’t this be true for the new LCD display as well? Why would it be more work to rearchitect for OLED specifically?

Just seems to me it’d be a lot easier when you already have a distributor and a similar product in your pipeline/know-how.
Ah, so drop the LCD entirely and only have an OLED model? I assume Nintendo took this route first for the same reason Valve did. OLEDs run hotter than LCDs and cooling is a huge limiting factor. Next, is to hit a mass market price.

Nobody is asking them to launch both.
Okay, I see where the misunderstanding comes from. The way I saw it, hitting mass market price is essential. Dropping the lower price LCD was out of the question. Any OLED model would have to be in addition to, and not instead of LCD. No need to attack my reading comprehension. You were making assumptions too - that I was only talking about one console.

Hudo

GAF Exclusive: Directly from me. I talked to my contact, Steve, who is working at TSMC. Dude said that the next Nintendo hardware is a 4090 with a display on it. Battery life will be 20 minutes. Gimmick will be that there are no controllers; only voice control. So you need to voice the buttons that you'd press. The louder you shout the harder you press the buttons.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Ah, so drop the LCD entirely and only have an OLED model? I assume Nintendo took this route first for the same reason Valve did. OLEDs run hotter than LCDs and cooling is a huge limiting factor. Next, is to hit a mass market price.

Okay, I see where the misunderstanding comes from. The way I saw it, hitting mass market price is essential. Dropping the lower price LCD was out of the question. Any OLED model would have to be in addition to, and not instead of LCD. No need to attack my reading comprehension. You were making assumptions too - that I was only talking about one console.
Ok fair enough. Previous rumor said Nintendo might go with LCD because they couldn’t get enough OLED panels. I was always working with the assumption that they would launch with one or the other, not both.

TLZ

Banned
I could be very wrong here ... but, for that size and dimensions, isn't there only like a $5-10 dollar difference in manufacturing cost between LCD and OLED screens?

I remember reading a breakdown sometime last year in regards to manufacturing costs of different types of smart phone screens and being was surprised how close the prices were.
I remember reading the cost difference for Nintendo upgrading to OLED was only $10. I duno how true that is.

No BC will be awful, but Nintnedo fans will re-buy games anyway.

Also, 512 GB in 2024 is absolutely pathetic. I don't know why it's not even 1 TB. 1 TB is extremely cheap these days. Do we know if it's SSD or what they are using?

Last edited:

Zannegan

No BC will be awful, but Nintnedo fans will re-buy games anyway.

Also, 512 GB in 2024 is absolutely pathetic. I don't know why it's not even 1 TB. 1 TB is extremely cheap these days. Do we know if it's SSD or what they are using?
I mean, *if* it's even true, 512 GB matches the highest end Steam Deck. Pathetic seems a little strong, especially when its games should be taking up far less space than PS5/XSX counterparts because the assets will have to be lower fidelity.

That said, if it's NOT an SSD, that would be truly pathetic.

I mean, *if* it's even true, 512 GB matches the highest end Steam Deck. Pathetic seems a little strong, especially when its games should be taking up far less space than PS5/XSX counterparts because the assets will have to be lower fidelity.

That said, if it's NOT an SSD, that would be truly pathetic.
You are forgetting that Steamdeck is more powerful than a switch by quite a bit.

The Steamdeck has a better CPU, GPU and Ram. It even has a .8 inch larger LCD displayed versus the Switch's 6.2 inch LCD. Yes, there is OLED but that's a different model with same crap switch specs.

Here is an article with spec comparison and a chart - https://www.dexerto.com/tech/steam-deck-vs-nintendo-switch-2053404/

512 GB is not acceptable in any shape or form no matter how you try to justify for the year 2024.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

You are forgetting that Steamdeck is more powerful than a switch by quite a bit.

The Steamdeck has a better CPU, GPU and Ram. It even has a .8 inch larger LCD displayed versus the Switch's 6.2 inch LCD. Yes, there is OLED but that's a different model with same crap switch specs.

Here is an article with spec comparison and a chart - https://www.dexerto.com/tech/steam-deck-vs-nintendo-switch-2053404/

512 GB is not acceptable in any shape or form no matter how you try to justify for the year 2024.
Ok, name a tablet the size of a Switch that comes with 1TB of memory at its price point. I just speced out a iPad Mini for comparison; most you can get is 256 GB non-expandible: $649. The Steam Deck 512 GB, which is considerably larger than the Switch or iPad Mini, also costs $649. Switch 2 will, most likely, not cost that much.

Ok, name a tablet the size of a Switch that comes with 1TB of memory at its price point. I just speced out a iPad Mini for comparison; most you can get is 256 GB non-expandible: $649. The Steam Deck 512 GB, which is considerably larger than the Switch or iPad Mini, also costs $649. Switch 2 will, most likely, not cost that much.
512 GB is not a lot of space these days, especially if you are using regular hdd. It's not even a question.

Who still uses a fucking iPad mini?

Steamdeck uses NVME SSD for 512 GB and costs $649 and its about to be 2 years old in 2024 that's not that expensive considering its also more powerful than the Switch.

On Switch I was forced to delete games to play other ones. It's ridiculous. 1 TB should be baseline for Switch 2. Knowing Nintendo they will most likely cheap out on the SSD, which gives them no excuse to make it regular HDD or whatever they decide to use.

For 2017 I can kind of understand, but not for 2024. We are well past that point. Switch 2 will probably retail for $299 or $349 at most.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Knowing Nintendo they will most likely cheap out on the SSD
I’m really curious to see if they’ll be able to keep up with the change in loading times we’re seeing this gen..

It’ll be a huuuuuge bummer if they can’t just because they cheap out.

I’m really curious to see if they’ll be able to keep up with the change in loading times we’re seeing this gen..

It’ll be a huuuuuge bummer if they can’t just because they cheap out.
Their games are not that intensive and don't really take long to load.
At least the ones I play like Animal Corssing, Smash and Mario. Idk how long Zelda takes to load.
I would not be surprised if they cheap out on the SSD.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Their games are not that intensive and don't really take long to load. I would not be surprised if they cheap out on the SSD. At least the ones I play like Animal Corssing, Smash and Mario. Idk how long Zelda takes to load.
You’re right, and it wouldn’t surprise me either. Zelda can take a few seconds for each shrine, but it’s fairly quick.

I’m thinking mainly for 3rd party stuff. Like if something like Elden Ring gets ported and people who played the Ps5 version picks it up just to have it portable. If the loading times are back to Ps4 lengths that’d be a very tangible, and negative, experience for most people I think.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

While I and 3 other people really liked our Wii Us, no one really cared about it.

On top of that, how exactly would you shove those CDs into the Switch?

Yes and yet you bought a Switch.

And people who bought a 3ds bought a Switch.

And Switch has sold 130mn units and counting.

Obviously there were practical reasons Nintendo didn't have b/c on Switch. btw, b/c on Switch 2 is all but certain.

Last edited:

Hudo

Thread title says it will have BC, OP says it will or won't. Confusing.
because these "insiders" don't know shit. And then go try to gaslight everyone when they're wrong again. I wouldn't mind their bullshit far less if they at least admit when they were wrong. Nothing dramatic about being wrong but just own up to it and move on. But none of these retards has ever done that. Not even Schreier (in fact, he's the king of gaslighting).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Zero chance in my mind it's not backwards compatible.

Furukawa said weeks ago that they want to "smoothly transition" people to the new system using the Nintendo account. What else are they going to "transition" if not games? Gold points? C'mon.

Top Bottom