• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 293: Adesanya vs. Strickland - Sydney - September 9

Who wins: Adesanya or Strickland? Tuivasa or Volkov? Kape or Felipe dos Santos?

• Adesanya, Tuivasa, Kape.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adesanya, Volkov, Kape.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Adesanya, Tuivasa, Felipe dos Santos.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Adesanya, Volkov, Felipe dos Santos.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Strickland, Tuivasa, Kape.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Strickland, Volkov, Kape.

• Strickland, Tuivasa, Felipe dos Santos.

• Strickland, Volkov, Felipe dos Santos.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apocryphon

Sean’s autistic right!?

Happy for him. Izzy is a cringeworthy count that needed humbling. Who would have thought that some simple one, twos and Philly shell would be all it took.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I thought izzy was going to win 100% without a doubt lol but I'm happy for sean he won it fair and square i hope he has a decent reign I have a funny feeling the ufc is going to try to set him up with khamzat after khamzat beats costa next month for some reason lol

zeldaring

Banned
Sean’s autistic right!?

Happy for him. Izzy is a cringeworthy count that needed humbling. Who would have thought that some simple one, twos and Philly shell would be all it took.
when the fight started i was like why am i even watching this izzy is gonna kill him.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I didn't follow the lead up to the fight and didn't even know who Strickland was.

But after that first round he looked rock solid. It was one of those fights which looked like Izzy would win only if this strickland guy made a bad mistake or gassed.

Apocryphon

Sean managed not to answer a single question, diss Izzy repeatedly, seemingly without malice, and ramble on about a bunch of shit that almost certainly had the press team in the back exploding. He won’t be champ for long, but Strickland earned himself a fuckload of new fans tonight 😂

Why did Izzy just bounce? Having your coach speak for you is just weird.

Last edited:
Sean managed not to answer a single question, diss Izzy repeatedly, seemingly without malice, and ramble on about a bunch of shit that almost certainly had the press team in the back exploding. He won’t be champ for long, but Strickland earned himself a fuckload of new fans tonight 😂

Why did Izzy just bounce? Having your coach speak for you is just weird.
I was wondering if he felt embarrassed by it all and was overwhelmed. His coach mentioned "feeling protected" or something to that degree. This loss is a lot different than his one to Alex. Not making excuses for him at all, but I really wonder if it got to him.

zeldaring

Banned
I was wondering if he felt embarrassed by it all and was overwhelmed. His coach mentioned "feeling protected" or something to that degree. This loss is a lot different than his one to Alex. Not making excuses for him at all, but I really wonder if it got to him.
of course it got to him, He got beat by someone that was a 7 to1 underdog. Strickland is also very basic and doesn't have many tool. he really exposed izzy.

GymWolf

The best striker in the ufc my fucking nuts :messenger_tears_of_joy:

He got literally schooled for 5 round by a tip kick and a 1-2 (but mostly a jab) :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The last dogbender better learn how to boxe for the rematch.

The ufc game cover curse strike again, Volk is next, Topuria is dangerous.

Adesanya fans are coping on reddit, they say izzy was out of focus because he was about to fight an under...dog:lollipop_smirking:

Last edited:
Wait...this dog shit is real? I assumed it was something taken out of context like everything else and never bothered to look into it. Also, my search history.

Also, Izzy's entrance was a nod to Jon Jones right?

Last edited:

INC

Glad izzy got shown up again, got walked down hard, couldn't even do the post fight conference 🤣🤣

Now just need fury to be shown up now

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fraudasanya finally exposed. What happens when his opponent isn't fighting scared. Cheers to Sean. Good guys win.
A lot of champs go down if the opponents stand firm. Mike Tyson, Rousey, Nunes, etc... Its amazing when an opponent trues to win playing scared or turtle shell. Best way to fight a bully is fight back.

GymWolf

Are you 11?
tears-cartman.gif

It's ok to celebrate a good performance, not everybody in here likes that cringe weirdo :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Also. Strickland had nothing to lose. And poatan put down Strickland easy AF.

That must've played a huge role imo.

I agree with my posted analysis. Respect given.

Apocryphon

It doesn’t matter that it was Strickland. We just wanted somebody to humble the cringeworthy dog fucker that thinks he’s an anime character. Izzy has a rediculous skill set, but he’s so fucking unlikable. I get that teenagers love his shtick but I find him to be insufferable.

Sean won’t be champ for long and it may be Izzy that dethrones him, but at least this result puts a stop to the “greatest middleweight of all time” nonsense. Izzy isn’t in the same league as Silva and GSP. A first round flash knockout wound arguably have been better for his legacy than being walked down by Sean Strickland and completely ineffectual for an entire fight, losing the first defence of his second reign as champ to such a massive underdog.

If Izzy wasn’t such a pathetic man child outside of the octagon I’d just be amused that Sean Strickland was now the champion and how much of a headache that’s going to be for Dana. But Izzy’s a cunt and that makes the outcome so much sweeter.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
It doesn’t matter that it was Strickland. We just wanted somebody to humble the cringeworthy dog fucker that thinks he’s an anime character. Izzy has a rediculous skill set, but he’s so fucking unlikable. I get that teenagers love his shtick but I find him to be insufferable.

Sean won’t be champ for long and it may be Izzy that dethrones him, but at least this result puts a stop to the “greatest middleweight of all time” nonsense. Izzy isn’t in the same league as Silva and GSP. A first round flash knockout wound arguably have been better for his legacy than being walked down by Sean Strickland and completely ineffectual for an entire fight, losing the first defence of his second reign as champ to such a massive underdog.

If Izzy wasn’t such a pathetic man child outside of the octagon I’d just be amused that Sean Strickland was now the champion and how much of a headache that’s going to be for Dana. But Izzy’s a cunt and that makes the outcome so much sweeter.

I like him for being himself. Nothing more.

Out of 10?......most definitely

Out of 100.000.000. Sad.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Congrats to Strickland and good on Kape for that good fight with Dos Santos.

Let's go 294!!

Last edited:

Apocryphon

Adesanya is now 1-2 in his last 3. Also has fought 7 times in the past 2 1/2ish years. Looked slow and gunshy. The time at the top is fleeting.

I really hope they don't do a rematch. Adesanya doesn't deserve it after that performance. I'm more interested in Chimaev, Costa, or Duplessis vs Strickland.
Strickland should face the winner of Costa/Chimmy, and Izzy should fight DDP as was planned.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Adesanya is now 1-2 in his last 3. Also has fought 7 times in the past 2 1/2ish years. Looked slow and gunshy. The time at the top is fleeting.

I really hope they don't do a rematch. Adesanya doesn't deserve it after that performance. I'm more interested in Chimaev, Costa, or Duplessis vs Strickland.
Khamzat would be the one assuming he wins his next match.

GymWolf

Dogbender should fight the winner of costa vs chimaev just for the shit and giggles.
(But mostly to see chimaev choke his ass)

Last edited:

Assuming izzy isn't injured (there was something wrapped around his hand), I think the rematch is too tempting for Dana. It's easy money since everyone will complain but will watch anyway because of how everything happened, and nothing but good match ups will come from it. If Izzy didn't make the UFC so much money I'd say otherwise, but it's just too easy to book. I honestly don't think Izzy looked bad, slow or battle worn at all. He looked as good as Izzy always does. Sean just came with a really basic yet efficient style that was a hard counter to him. He was really in the moment, and didn't let Izzy get anything off, or made him think about the things he threw for a moment, which was the cause of him appearing "slow". I'm an Izzy fan, but he got beaten and outplayed that fight. It's actually good the ref didn't stop it when he got dropped, because it let Sean really show his skill set and that it wasn't a fluke victory. He was better prepared on that night, and to an alarming degree. That said, I think the UFC will book the rematch if Izzy isn't hurt, because the money, story and opportunity is just too good to ignore, and there are no consequences as far as timing is concerned. He doesn't deserve it from the performance, but he will likely get it if it's at all possible.

Apocryphon

Dogbender should fight the winner of costa vs chimaev just for the shit and giggles.
(But mostly to see chimaev choke his ass)
One of my students said that losing to Strickland was Izzy’s plan to avoid Khamzat 😂 It doesn’t work at all, but it’s amusing to see what people come up with in the absence of direct commentary from Izzy.

Izzy will get the rematch. He probably shouldn’t given how one sided it was, but it will make more money than a non-title fight involving Adesanya.

I want to see him against DDP or Khamzat though. I don’t care how much money the promotion makes. It’s shit like this is why people hate the current state of boxing. I just want to see who is the best, I don’t need every fight to have a story.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Adesanya is losing but is an athlete that wants to fight another thing he’s not injured, Silva, mcgregor I’ll be honest never recovered from their injuries.

Apocryphon

Adesanya is losing but is an athlete that wants to fight another thing he’s not injured, Silva, mcgregor I’ll be honest never recovered from their injuries.
Both horrible breaks. Conor’s record will end up looking like Silvas if he does actually come back.

Izzy’s run has been tremendous. He doesn’t take losses well though and he’s an asshat outside of the cage. If he didn’t act like a narcissistic teenager and instead acted his age and had some humility, far fewer people would be happy to see him lose. I know he makes the promotion money, but he’s incredibly unlikable. Conor, Colby, and plenty of other people take plenty of shit too for their antics. Ian Garry is the latest. Izzy cares too much about his self image and acts like a child. Personally I’d have more respect for him if he had come out to talk to the press and just said “Well that was a lot harder than so expected it to be. I couldn’t get a single thing off, props to Strickland.” and then just answered the questions. Instead, he went over to Dana in the ring and said he’d talk to him later, then had his manager speak to the press. It wasn’t a great look and I don’t think he deserves the immediate rematch. I’ll still buy the PPV and out money in his pocket though out of pure curiosity.. but I’m definitely far more excited to see Costa and Khamzat go at it than I am to see Izzy be gifted another shot at getting the belt back. Everybody supported the rematch with Alex, but this isn’t the same. This was his first defence after regaining the belt and it wasn’t a flash knockout, injury, or controversial result. He lost 4/5 rounds.

Top Bottom