• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 291: Poirier vs. Gaethje 2 - Salt Lake City - July 29

Who wins: Poirier or Gaethje? Blachowicz or Pereira? Thompson or Pereira?

• Poirier, Blachowicz, Thompson.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Poirier, Pereira, Thompson.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Poirier, Blachowicz, Pereira.

• Poirier, Pereira, Pereira.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gaethje, Blachowicz, Thompson.

• Gaethje, Pereira, Thompson.

• Gaethje, Blachowicz, Pereira.

• Gaethje, Pereira, Pereira.

• Poirier, Blachowicz, Lewis.

• Poirier, Pereira, Lewis.

• Poirier, Blachowicz, Rogerio de Lima.

• Poirier, Pereira, Rogerio de Lima.

• Gaethje, Blachowicz, Lewis.

• Gaethje, Pereira, Lewis.

• Gaethje, Blachowicz, Rogerio de Lima.

• Gaethje, Pereira, Rogerio de Lima.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GymWolf

My picks are:

Justin changed way more than dustin imo and the first fight was very close, i have justin winning this time.

Alex vs jan is a coin toss but i wanna have faith in alex, him againg jiri is ginna be absolute fire.

Pereira is too fucking big, i can see him wrestlefucking wonderboy, if they just stand then wonderboy should win.

Green is probably gonna outpoint if not ko tony most probably.

And then i have chiesa winning but i root for holland, chiesa is almost as big as a middleweight, not sure if holland can keep the fight standing.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
nhLWS5l.jpg

GymWolf

This card is stacked. I didn't know Holland and Ferguson were both on it. Wait and Derek Lewis and he's only on the prelim? Damn!
The only shit fight is cacoeira vs maverick (they are also both ugly so not even the eyecandy), everything else is good to great, bonfim is entartaining, same for Samuelberger, kopylov and jake matthews.

Last edited:

mxbison

Poirier
Gaethje could probably win this if he fought smart but he won't. It's gonna be a fire fight which should favor Poirier.

Blachowicz
I think this is an awful match up for Alex. Jan is a big, strong, durable bjj black belt with heavy hands and kicks. The only way I see Pereira winning is a clean KO which will be hard to do. Size matters, Izzy hard a really hard time hitting Jan.

Pereira
Really solid fighter once he turned down the clowning a bit and Wonderboy is 40. Sooner or later he'll slow down which won't go well with his style.

GymWolf

Poirier
Gaethje could probably win this if he fought smart but he won't. It's gonna be a fire fight which should favor Poirier.

Blachowicz
I think this is an awful match up for Alex. Jan is a big, strong, durable bjj black belt with heavy hands and kicks. The only way I see Pereira winning is a clean KO which will be hard to do. Size matters, Izzy hard a really hard time hitting Jan.

Pereira
Really solid fighter once he turned down the clowning a bit and Wonderboy is 40. Sooner or later he'll slow down which won't go well with his style.
Alex is way bigger than jan...both reach, heigh and probably muscle wise.

The dude had his best success as a kickboxer at 205 not 185.

And jan got ko by an ex middleweight santos that looks like an ant close to alex.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

Poirier, Blachowicz, Thompson.​

Poirier right now is 10x better than anyone right now, blachowicz has had multiple belts and wonder boy wants to fight at 40 years old that’s interesting.

SpiceRacz

Poirier should take this one. Gaethje has been more disciplined in his striking, but Poirier is straight up a better boxer and just a better overall fighter up to this point.

Either way, I think both of these guys are due to fall off soon.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

:messenger_loudly_crying:

Looks like the Lewis fight moved from prelims to main card to replace the Thompson fight.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Good on Wonderboy, he is too old for this shit.
He doesn't need prove anything to anyone , I hope he gets another main Card and that Dana doesn't punish him for not taking the fight.
I feel like pereira could’ve prolly been at least 200 on fight night but he seems to gas out quick after the first round from what I’ve seen and since the fights in Utah at altitude seems wonderboy would’ve benefited from that but still pereira would’ve been heavier hard decision wonderboy had to make

How this card escaped my radar.... Wow what a hell of a card on paper! I really look forward to seeing these all play out, so many interesting matchups.

Please...for the love of everything....Please fight gods....Tony Ferguson really needs a W....

giphy.gif

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
great submission win by holland didn't expect that lol couldn't catch the prelims unfortunately except for kopylov dude's a beast and bonfim. for the main card I guess I have lewis in his fight I don't know anything about his opponent if they're standing I still think lewis should hopefully have his power still and could KO the other guy hopefully. i got jan over poatan I think hell wrestle him like he did izzy standing with poatan is too dangerous. still a toss up for me with poirier and gaethje i don't know gaethje has been a beast especially his last fight but I think poirier will come through I'll pick him its gonna be fireworks

I walked away after the fight for a moment, but did Chiesa end up retiring?
He was out a few years I guess injured. I thought he "retired" too.
------------------------------------------------

I love Tony Ferguson...but he needs to hang the gloves up. It looked like Green killing a wild animal in their that refused to die.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
great last minute submission win by bobby never expected that either these strikers are working on their grappling lol. bad loss for tony hes now 6 down wonder what hes gonna do next not sure if ufc would cut him or not

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Yea that was surprising. He had his hands on his knees while they were announcing the decision and went directly to the stool afterwards to catch his breath.

yeah he was still breathing heavy lol mostly likely combination of the wrestling and high altitude. i think the announcers said jan isn't used to wrestling in his fights so much so he burned a lot of energy there and poatan also trained for a couple weeks in utah before the fight so he was more acclimatized to the altitude and also probably did a lot of grappling/wrestling practice with glover. i gotta see alex fight jiri hope they can fight next since jamahal is out

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I know justin is acclimatized to a high altitude since he trains in colorado I wonder how dustin's cardio will hold up

Top Bottom