• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Game Catalog & Classics for July: It Takes Two, Sniper Elite 5, Twisted Metal

Fredrik

If you have some time after finishing FF16 and waiting for BG3, do yourself a service and try out The Ascent. Metacritic score is low and it had bugs at launch but it’s truly great if you like twin-stick shooting and action RPGs. Very unique game, neat cover mechanic, phat action and punchy sound, lots of weapon variety and combat strategies, and it just plays great, and runs beautifully on PS5.

Roberts

I tried it with my girlfriend and we didn't even make it an hour. I'm sure it gets better, but the intro was super cheesy. I would have kept going but she bailed hard.
I waited two years for my daughter to turn 6 and be a bit more handy with a controller so that I can finally play it. The funny thing is that playing with her and seeing her big-eyed reaction to every cheesy or schmaltzy story beat made that game work for me way better than if I had played it with a grown-up. That said, I think the game is actually pretty good love-letter to gaming in general as every level is inspired by a different games.

Also, The Ascent is great!

Twisted Metal 2 is the shit.

I’m really surprised that I like it now as much as I did when it came out.

I remember lost days playing with friends, talking shit. Awesome days.

I didn’t think it would hold up but I’ve been playing it all night.

Twisted Metal 2 for me is a religion and Axel is the shit!

maxresdefault.jpg

W4wZWM9.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

eQtjuL6.jpg

Fredrik

Also, The Ascent is great!
It really is! And it’s the perfect opportunity for people to drop all concerns and just try it out for themselves. Critics has rarely been as wrong as they was with this one, I’d swap the Halo Infinite and The Ascent Metacritic scores without hesitation. Unfortunately the devs didn’t get the recognition they deserved and is now acquired by some Korean publisher and is making a FPS, yawn.

Roberts

Unfortunately the devs didn’t get the recognition they deserved and is now acquired by some Korean publisher and is making a FPS, yawn.
Holy shit, I didn't know that. I hope, at very least, they can keep their creative independence.

Fredrik

Holy shit, I didn't know that. I hope, at very least, they can keep their creative independence.
Yeah, I said around the release that MS should’ve picked them up, but they focused on paying $70B to make CoD multiplat… or something. These guys could’ve made an awesome twin stick Gears RPG, would’ve been perfect, they have cover system already, and have experience in the IP.

For those who like first person shooters I bet they’ll do something cool next, visually it should be a feast. But twin stick shooting is about 10 thousand times more interesting for me personally, so I see it as a loss.

SEGA_2012

Damn, was hoping it was the PS3 Twisted Metal. Never played it and honestly don't know much of anything about it. One of those games I've always been curious about.
The PS3 TM is heavily focused on online MP and Sony closed the servers. I believe that unfortunately we will never see this game again, unless Sony makes many changes to the game modes.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Everyone who has a good friend or close family member that plays games MUST play It Takes Two, it's the best co-op experience I've ever had.

Everyone who has a good friend or close family member that plays games MUST play It Takes Two, it's the best co-op experience I've ever had.
I played with a family member who wasn't gamer enough to hit the timed platforming, so it was an abject failure for us. I guess it's great if you have two hardcore gamers co oping it, but most family members who aren't gamers will struggle.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I played with a family member who wasn't gamer enough to hit the timed platforming, so it was an abject failure for us. I guess it's great if you have two hardcore gamers co oping it, but most family members who aren't gamers will struggle.

I wouldn't say you need to be HARDCORE, but yeah, you do need to be familiar with 3rd person action/platforming games.

I wouldn't say you need to be HARDCORE, but yeah, you do need to be familiar with 3rd person action/platforming games.
The person I tried to play it with was able to beat games like My Time at Portia, Monster Hunter Rise and Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2 on their own, but yeah, no experience with platformers. This game can be challenging with the co op timing aspects.

Now that I think about it, even back when me and my old friends did a lot of local co op, most if not all of them struggled with platformers and thought I was a god for being able to fly through Mario levels.

Iced Arcade

Nice! I'll definitely play sniper elite 5 again.

Enjoyed the hell out of WWZ, takes two and sniper elite on Xbox. This is an absolutely solid addition for those that enjoy co-op. I need to find pony friends to play with.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The person I tried to play it with was able to beat games like My Time at Portia, Monster Hunter Rise and Dragon Quest Builders 1 & 2 on their own, but yeah, no experience with platformers. This game can be challenging with the co op timing aspects.

Now that I think about it, even back when me and my old friends did a lot of local co op, most if not all of them struggled with platformers and thought I was a god for being able to fly through Mario levels.
Yeah, I suppose, but I played this with my brother who I don't think plays platformers at all. He does play a bunch of other games, but I would still call him a casual relatively speaking.

Top Bottom