• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 214 |OT| Jones vs Cormier 2 - Dad Bod vs Coke Bod ft.

Never read that article about DC before. Learnt a lot.

Wrestlers are ridiculous athletes, I honestly have so much respect for how hard they have to work. When someone comes to the gym with a wrestling background, absolute nightmare.

Never read that article about DC before. Learnt a lot.

Wrestlers are ridiculous athletes, I honestly have so much respect for how hard they have to work. When someone comes to the gym with a wrestling background, absolute nightmare.
Indeed. They have a doggedness about them that is very particular. When I did actually do combat training and not just go through the motions bullshit, there was a guy we all called Doc(shouts out to Doc, though you will never see this) that beat the living hell out of me.

ApharmdX

Banned
My ideal outcome is DC beating Jones and retiring without giving him a rematch and thus leaving Jon to rematch Gustafson for the vacant belt.

Or Anthony Johnson coming back to fight Jones, and beating him into submission. Gus could win but I'd rather see AJ fight Jones first.

Indeed. They have a doggedness about them that is very particular. When I did actually do combat training and not just go through the motions bullshit, there was a guy we all called Doc(shouts out to Doc, though you will never see this) that beat the living hell out of me.

That's it, they just keep going and going.

Wrestling isn't big here, but we occasionally get wrestlers in to teach and while the technique is great to learn, it always seems to become a lesson in mental strength. Especially when you get paired up with someone who just doesn't stop, like trying to fight a terminator.

We get Football players on occasion too (Aussie Rules Football), they often have a similar doggedness but lack the technique a wrestler has.

That article on Cormier reminds me of the many horror stories of Dan Gable coaching.

Busty

Banned
Until Jones actually steps into the Octagon I'm still not 100% convinced that this fight is going to happen.

To potentially have two PPV main events be cancelled at the last minute would be nothing short of a disaster for the UFC.

Heart wants a DC finish, brain says Jones dominant decision.

Agreed. I have a feeling that, having been champ for a while and leaning more in the commentary/presenting, maybe DC just doesn't want it as much as Jones does.

I could honestly see DC announce his retirement if Jones does beat him tonight, which would be a shame as I'm a fan, but it feels like he might do a Rumble and just walk away to try something else.

BadAss2961

Until Jones actually steps into the Octagon I'm still not 100% convinced that this fight is going to happen.

To potentially have two PPV main events be cancelled at the last minute would be nothing short of a disaster for the UFC.

Agreed. I have a feeling that, having been champ for a while and leaning more in the commentary/presenting, maybe DC just doesn't want it as much as Jones does.

I could honestly see DC announce his retirement if Jones does beat him tonight, which would be a shame as I'm a fan, but it feels like he might do a Rumble and just walk away to try something else.
Will always think what could've been had DC stayed at heavyweight. That's where he's at his best.

Rumble just seems like such a nice guy, and he's a damn good fighter. I'd love to see him stay on and fight a few more years. He's just gotta step up his wrestling.

He would need to improve his mental game as well if he comes back. I like Rumble a lot but he's known to fold when the pressure gets put on him in a fight

chixdiggit

A couple of us will be stuck at work. Plan is to order fight on UFC.TV and watch on my laptop. A big * says that it is for residential use only. Will this give me problems as the internet I will be using to stream the fights will be a business one?

Kelsdesu

does DC resent Jones, because Jones is naturally gifted, while DC had to work for what he got?

I believe that reasoning is a part of it. Especially since the UFC propped Jones up so high and even after all of that fuckshit the narrative even now is all about Jones's redemption and not about a consistent champion who has defended his title several times against "Hitters".

I suggest you read up on DC, cause that man is the furthest thing from a baby.

Suffice to say, I disagree with your mindset, but okay, agree to disagree.

That being said, where did this narrative that DC just likes to lay 'n pray come from? He did that against Silva, who was a short notice fight on what was supposed to be the biggest card of UFC history and still managed to hurt him. DC is a wrestler brawler, why the fuck would he stand with the greatest striker in UFC history?

More to the point, DC/Gus was a war, both Johnson fights were exciting, and before those his fights against Henderson, Nelson and Mir were just dominant displays. DC has never been a boring fighter.

You say this, yet going by your post history, you clearly dislike DC.

I truly appreciate that link to the DC article. I already had a tremendous amount of respect for him, but the parts about his kids.. damn.

sirap

smh at all this DC hate. He's been a great champ and has a warrior's heart.

Even Jon admitted that DC is a genuinely good dude.

I hate Jones with a passion but DC has simply not evolved as a fighter and when it comes to the one thing he's best at Jones is a nightmare matchup of nullification for him.

Unless being off the juice and the layoff seriously effect Jones, he's gonna UD again.

Only thing DC has going for him is the fact that Jones smiled at him during the weigh ins, because statistics say Jones is more likely to lose now.

What was the new weigh in process again? Your hydration had to be at a certain level and you actually have a cut off for the amount of pounds you can gain post weigh-in or something?

iddqd

Rooting for DC as well, sucks that the villain of this story has all the talent and is more likely to win again.

Also hoping Lawler pulls it off. Lawler Vs GSP once he has his belt back would be nice.

I truly appreciate that link to the DC article. I already had a tremendous amount of respect for him, but the parts about his kids.. damn.

DC is the man.

A big part of me wants to see Jones reach the heights he once reached and continue to dominate and cement himself as the GOAT. It's honestly between him, Aldo, DJ, Silva, GSP and Fedor - and perhaps now DC.

But, at the same time, DC is a great champ I deeply admire.

Think I might just do that, really want to watch this live.

I always do when it's a late card. Go for a nap, set a couple of alarms, order food when you wake up and get hyped during the prelims.

Rooting for DC as well, sucks that the villain of this story has all the talent and is more likely to win again.

Also hoping Lawler pulls it off. Lawler Vs GSP once he has his belt back would be nice.
For some reason, it feels like DC is the bad guy in all of this going off of reactions and whatnot. It's like one of those heels back in the WWF days that everyone hate because they told the truth.

DC: I'm clean, sober, and work hard!
Crowd: .....booooooo!

For some reason, it feels like DC is the bad guy in all of this going off of reactions and whatnot. It's like one of those heels back in the WWF days that everyone hate because they told the truth.

Yeah it's a bummer. By all accounts DC is a damn good dude in real life.

Thing is I think his personality for the masses might be a little to vanilla / plain especially in comparison to someone like Jones who is currently full heel / not giving a fuck. People love drama and Jones brings tons of it

HarryKS

Throwaway comment:

It has become very, very, very evident that the improved testing had drastic repercussions on the bodies of fighters.

The freakshows are pretty much gone.

Everyone looks flat and dehydrated, as you would expect from a normal person.

It's the real life Bret hart/stone cold double turn.

Jezbollah

A couple of us will be stuck at work. Plan is to order fight on UFC.TV and watch on my laptop. A big * says that it is for residential use only. Will this give me problems as the internet I will be using to stream the fights will be a business one?

Nah UFC doesnt give a flying fuck what internet connection you're using.

They only care if you're using it as a private facility, which is what UFC.TV is, to stream to a lot of people, say for instance - a bar. If you're using it commercially, and you get caught, you can get into trouble.

Thing is I think his personality for the masses might be a little to vanilla / plain especially in comparison to someone like Jones who is currently full heel / not giving a fuck. People love drama and Jones brings tons of it
Tell me about it. Was it ever stated why he doesn't like Luke and snubbed him the way he did?

Here is what I'm referring to, for those who aren't aware.

https://youtu.be/zRhuxHa5gXI

It's the real life Bret hart/stone cold double turn.
Holy shit, it totally is.

OnPoint

It's part of why I root for him haha

JustinBB7

Isn't it that, but also more his boring fight style? I respect what he does and how he does it, but it's not fun to watch. It works so she shouldn't change it or anything, but I remember being pissed he was doing the same thing at UFC 200 to old out of shape no camp Anderson who took the fight on like a days notice. He would clearly win whatever he did but he somehow made it boring to watch too.

In comparison Jones is popular for winning, but also in flashy action packed fashion. It's purely octagon only for a lot of people. In which Jones will be always be more fun to watch.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

People love their heels.

Top Bottom