• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 203 CM Punk vs Mickey Gall |OT| Like Mussolini and Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tall4Life

Will watch for CM Punk climbing the cage of the Octagon and doing an elbow drop off the top of it, and then hitting Gall with the GTS, and as the ref is about to count to 3 for the pin, the lights go out and Triple H's music plays and he breaks into the Octagon and stares at Punk and hits him with the sledgehammer and then pedigrees him and then pins Punk and Gall at the same time to become the undisputed God-King of the universe, which will coincide with Triple H winning the Universal Championship from Kevin Owens tonight on Raw.

Spoilers: Triple H ALWAYS goes over, in the end.

TraBuch

Banned
I got to interview CM Punk once. He was agreeable, but I asked him about money in the bank and he clearly got annoyed with the question. He shot me the laser death eyes before recovering and answering.

It's likely he's a nice enough guy with a short fuse or intolerance for what he doesn't consider pertinent.

So maybe you are both a little right.
Was this after he left the WWE? Him being annoyed with wrestling questions seems to be a fairly common occurrence.

Fushin

I don't think hes ever been in a real fight before getting into MMA.. some of the training hes been through doesn't seem like its reflecting in the sparring sessions.

Teddy Hart knocked him out years ago. I'm sure with Duke and the boys pounding on Punk's face every Monday he'll be used to taking shots now though.

With his chin way high up too. I've seen starters in amateur boxing getting the hang of basics better in under 2 weeks than he has in this gif. He's in trouble.

Gall damn near makes the same mistake in his fight against Templeton. Chin up, left arm just out to his side doing nothing. Every time Gall goes for the right body shot he leaves his left arm down, never tries defending against a hook or power right. His striking is far worse than his jiu jitsu, which is where Punk honestly really needs to be worried. If it goes to the ground it's Gall all night, if it stays to the stand up then I think Punk has a better than zero chance.

Syder

Kinda disappointed after all the time Punk isn't going to be well trained enough to last even a couple of rounds.

Teddy Hart knocked him out years ago. I'm sure with Duke and the boys pounding on Punk's face every Monday he'll be used to taking shots now though.

Gall damn near makes the same mistake in his fight against Templeton. Chin up, left arm just out to his side doing nothing. Every time Gall goes for the right body shot he leaves his left arm down, never tries defending against a hook or power right. His striking is far worse than his jiu jitsu, which is where Punk honestly really needs to be worried. If it goes to the ground it's Gall all night, if it stays to the stand up then I think Punk has a better than zero chance.
He's in trouble either way, I say. Everybody's got a puncher's chance, it goes both ways though so it's not a advantage in any way. You can tell Gall has a way better understanding of distance and striking in general anyway, Punk is gonna get messed up be it standing or on the ground.

Fushin

He's in trouble either way, I say. Everybody's got a puncher's chance, it goes both ways though so it's not a advantage in any way. You can tell Gall has a way better understanding of distance and striking in general anyway, Punk is gonna get messed up be it standing or on the ground.

Don't get me wrong I think Punk is deservedly the underdog, I just think Gall has more weaknesses as a striker than at his ground game that if Punk were smart he would capitalize on and try to goad Gall into making.

Don't get me wrong I think Punk is deservedly the underdog, I just think Gall has more weaknesses as a striker than at his ground game that if Punk were smart he would capitalize on and try to goad Gall into making.

But to do that you need to have a minimum understanding of basics to capitalize on opportunities, which I have not seen from Punk in either the gif nor his sparring video. Guy get's clocked more than twice by a sparring partner that goes way easy on him. We know Gall at least has a much better repertoire standing than Punk too considering he did a "half-assed" question mark kick to Templeton.

But yeah, like you said, Gall's ground is his bread and butter, so Punk striking with Gall is the lesser evil of the two, though the lesser evil will still prove to be way too much for Punk lol.

Wheatly

Overeem-Timeline.jpg

Man this dude has had all levels of juice in his system

Another before and after -

fddfsfsdfs-388x220.png

Fushin

But to do that you need to have a minimum understanding of basics to capitalize on opportunities, which I have not seen from Punk in either the gif nor his sparring video. Guy get's clocked more than twice by a sparring partner that goes way easy on him. We know Gall at least has a much better repertoire standing than Punk too considering he did a "half-assed" question mark kick to Templeton.

But yeah, like you said, Gall's ground is his bread and butter, so Punk striking with Gall is the lesser evil of the two, though the lesser evil will still prove to be way too much for Punk lol.

I've been a Punk fanboy since his time in ROH so I'm just trying to stay positive for the guy lol. But yeah, if he wins I'll be pleasantly surprised. Good on him for getting a couple surgeries paid for and a decent check for the past couple of years. I've got seven months worth of training with a Roufusport black belt and a black belt in Tae Kwon Do so maybe if he loses they get a can like me to face him. ;)

FStop7

Banned
Has anything more been said about this huge weight cut that Punk supposedly has to make?

It seems like an extra terrible idea that on top of this being his first ever sanctioned MMA fight, in the UFC no less, that he also has to make a big cut. He's had how many months to train and prepare for this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cm-punk-huge-weight-cut-235939862.html

The whole thing seems ill conceived. If he gets seriously hurt in competition it's going to fuck the UFC's reputation up something fierce.

beasty

Has anything more been said about this huge weight cut that Punk supposedly has to make?

It seems like an extra terrible idea that on top of this being his first ever sanctioned MMA fight, in the UFC no less, that he also has to make a big cut. He's had how many months to train and prepare for this?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cm-punk-huge-weight-cut-235939862.html

The whole thing seems ill conceived. If he gets seriously hurt in competition it's going to fuck the UFC's reputation up something fierce.

Punk's had nearly 2 years to get himself together. He said he has done test weight cuts already. UFC brought in a very green fighter just for him.

The problem is what happens if punk wins? Do you bring in another very green fighter or do you toss him to that shark infested waters that is that division.

I hope he wins, he has some serious balls. It's almost unheard of for a guy with barely any martial arts background to just start mma in his mid thirties and be successful. Guys like DC, Brock Lesnar and Yoel Romero started training mma late but their also freak athletes with a successful wrestling background.

this match is most likely gonna stink. Gall probably won't even risk a back and forth slug fest and instead grind the shiet out of Punk then lock in a sub.

was silly to give Punk this type of opponent.

I would say "he could try to wrestlefuck the guy until the three rounds ended, like Anderson Silva vs Cormier", but apparently the other dude has already 2 wins by submission, so that's out of the question.

Heel

I want to believe.

Rumors have swirled over the last month that CM Punk is hurt again but this time he can’t pull out or UFC 203 might suffer too much. Also, the court of public opinion would turn too far against Punk’s MMA debut if he drops out with another injury. Expect him to address this aliment post-fight.

Furyous

I should go since it's in Cleveland. I love Punk because he's Punk not here for your or my bullshit BUT I have a question.

What has he done to headline a UFC card? I don't care that he wrassled and has legendary interviews. Him headling any MMA event is a slap in the face to a lot of people that busted their ass to get to the UFC. This is the equivalent of Tebow signing with the Phillies and going to the big leagues with a multi year deal in excess for $40 million after a short stint in the minors.

I should go since it's in Cleveland. I love Punk because he's Punk not here for your or my bullshit BUT I have a question.

What has he done to headline a UFC card? I don't care that he wrassled and has legendary interviews. Him headling any MMA event is a slap in the face to a lot of people that busted their ass to get to the UFC. This is the equivalent of Tebow signing with the Phillies and going to the big leagues with a multi year deal in excess for $40 million after a short stint in the minors.

He's not headlining but basically the answer is he puts asses in seats. Same as Brock headlining UFC 200 despite not having fought in years (and losing badly when he did). UFC is entertainment, it's not about fairness.

He's not headlining despite the OP and any other comments to the contrary. Dana was interested in him wanting to fight at least once immediately after leaving WWE, and signed him. If his fight is on the main card, which it looks to be, it will be the PPV opener or the fight right after that. Certainly not one of the last two on the card.

Excited for this one its a good card.

When it was first announced Punk was coming over I was interested to see where he would go but good lord, he's been training for 2 years and still looks awful. Don't get me wrong 2 years isn't all that much training for a professional fight but still, Gall is going to WRECK him

pixelation

I am looking forward to the Punk-Gall match, should be fun regardless of the outcome. Rest of the card looks pretty OK.

you guys are getting worked so hard right now its pretty hilarious

punk via knockout round 2.

How can you be worked when you are looking at obviously glaring holes in technique?

Punks striking offense and defense look awful. Its MMA, of course he can win but the odds are very very low

there aren't limited roster spots (or fights) available in the ufc like there are in baseball. if someone is good enough to make it to the ufc, he/she will do it and there will be more money waiting for them since Punk brought eyeballs.

the only argument against Punk is that it makes the sport look more like a joke and devalues other fighters.

man Punk looks absolutely hopeless in that UFC documentary show about him. I dunno if that's just editing or what but every spar ends with the coaches saying "...well...you got heart. they can't take that from you"

lmao.

pretty hyped for this fight. i wish CM Punk well in this because he seems like a decent dude (and bless up for marrying AJ) but i really don't see him doing much here.

I am really keen to see him in open workouts, where is his weight at? what's his hand speed like now? does he still look skinny fat?

The amount of work he must have been putting in he must be in good shape unless he's been going home and firing in to pizza every night.

He's looked beyond terrible in the shows so far, slow, weak, lethargic. Where is the latest episode of the show anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom