• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 159 |OT| The Great White Hopeless

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Cormier played it safe against Mir but there's no reason to believe that he wouldn't take down Nelson. Nelson has 0 sub victories against high level opponents, Mir was coming off breaking Nog's arm. There's also nothing Roy could do if Cormier wanted to dirty box him against the cage like he did to Mir. To reiterate, Dos Santos, Werdum and Mir all beat the piss out of Nelson. You don't have to KO someone to beat them on the feet. Nelson has a lot of KOs but his striking isn't as good as you seem to think. He has an overhand right and a chin, so he always has a chance, but against elite opponents that's not enough.

No, I suspect Cormiers striking isn't as good as you seem to think. I don't think he'd be able wall n' stall against Nelson like he did Mir either. I just don't see Cormier winning that fight... and I'm no Nelson fan.

Also, didn't Nelson destroy Frank Mir in some BJJ tourney years ago?

nomster

All this super-fight talk is a waste of time, GSP and Silva both know if they move up their gonna lose. It wont happen
I think the only realistic super fight is if Jones decides to move up. He could add 20 pounds of muscle to his frame and still be good sized against guys like JDS and Cain.

Anyone else think Roy could have been one of the best 205s ever? It's unreal how well he handles bigger dudes in the HW class.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
No, I suspect Cormiers striking isn't as good as you seem to think. I don't think he'd be able wall n' stall against Nelson like he did Mir either. I just don't see Cormier winning that fight... and I'm no Nelson fan.

Also, didn't Nelson destroy Frank Mir in some BJJ tourney years ago?

Really, you're not a Nelson fan? Sorry for assuming earlier. Yes Nelson beat Mir in a grappling match years ago. More recently, Mir beat the piss out of him in an MMA fight. Cormier has outstruck Barnett, KOd Bigfoot, outstruck Mir... his striking is more versatile and technically sound than Nelson's. I also have no idea why you think Cormier couldn't control Nelson against the cage when there's no evidence to suggest he has the strength or wrestling to nullify it. FWIW, after their fight Werdum commented on how Roy was physically weaker than he thought he would be and how easy it was to control him in the clinch.

I think the only realistic super fight is if Jones decides to move up. He could add 20 pounds of muscle to his frame and still be good sized against guys like JDS and Cain.

Anyone else think Roy could have been one of the best 205s ever? It's unreal how well he handles bigger dudes in the HW class.

Jones would really only have to add about 10lbs or so to match JDS and Cain's weights, he's a lean 230 in camp. As for Big Country, after some thinking I think he's better off at HW, where his opponents are slower and generally less skilled. His chin and punching power are much more of an asset against fighters like Schaub or Mitrione than they would be against any of the top 205ers.

Haunted

worst card I've ever seen

shitty fights and eye pokes and shitty referees and bad luck and broken thumbs and winners ending up with broken toes i mean what the fuck

also fuck you bunch of sick bastards who keep quoting and re-quoting that Bones picture and .gif :lol

So ironic once Rogan said "This night is cursed" 3 fights were called early, one being th co main, and the main could have easily been stopped given another 48 seconds. Dat shi cray
#cursed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom