• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most overrated game of the Generation

The most overrated game of the Generation

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 64 7.1%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 26 2.9%
  • God of War

Votes: 41 4.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 105 11.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Zela: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 135 15.1%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 228 25.4%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 43 4.8%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 29 3.2%
  • Overwatch

Votes: 39 4.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Celeste

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Monster Hunter: World

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Persona 5

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Inside

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 47 5.2%
  • Undertale

Votes: 18 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Overrated = a good game a lot of people like that's very successful both financialy and critically but someone doesn't like (ie RDR2, FFVIIR, The Witcher 3) .

Underrated = a flawed game that has mixed or negative reception that the same person above personally enjoy's very much. (ie Days Gone, Nier, Watch_Dogs)

One man's treasure is another man's trash and vice versa.

It's all subjective.

GlockSaint

Uncharted 4 for me, what a piece of garbage that game was. Ultra boring, flat terrible story. They removed what made uncharted special (or heavily decreased it) the cool set pieces and action and made the climbing never ending which was terrible and retarded because it was zero risk and mindless padding. My God fuck that game 3/10.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I was all ready to say Breath of the Wild or Red Dead until I saw the poll and remembered Hollow Knight.

I just don't get it. It's okay but nothing about it really grabs me, and when you put it against games like Monster Boy that are so packed with design and fun mechanics the dull, repetitive minimalism of Hollow Knight is just plain boring.

nani17

are in a big trouble
MGSV is so shit even if it was finished open world just made it terrible. The replacement of David Hayter was also a terrible idea for an actor that has no lines. There's also dumb Ai mixed with probably the worst bosses in MGS history.

Let's not forget the missions how fucking boring they were, my god. Land in a helicopter ...... extract a soldier rinse and repeat. in the same area over and over and over. Also, the intro of the missions has credits and it spoils who going to be in the mission. The great Kojima thought that was a good idea I mean come on FFS

Last edited:

Codeblew

So fare over 50% of the votes got to:
TLOU2
Zelda
RDR2

I disagree with the last one though. I thought the single player was good at least. I wish it had a NG+ mode.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Criticism is more realistic now, but for a long time, it was The Witcher 3.

Textbook example of a bunch of nerds discovering something really fun, well done, and enjoyable to play, and getting so carried away, they start listing it off as the greatest thing ever crafted by humanity.

It actually wrecked my first playthrough, as the game I expected was nowhere to be found. Once I realized it was just a good game with realistic pros and cons, I was able to get back on track with it.

I would argue TLOU2 is actually underrated. Or maybe not underrated by definition, as it got high critic scores, but received way lower user scores than I believe is fair. And after actually experiencing the game rather than just through leaks and angry posts, I would say it's way, way better than what even I had anticipated when the leaks first came out. It really grew on me.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I voted for The Witcher 3, but I thought Uncharted 4 was pretty overrated too.

Greeno

I think most games these days are overrated. The rating system of modern journalism is simply broken.

RDR2 and TLOU2 are greatly detailed games, but detailed games don't make good games. The pacing is broken in TLOU2 and it becomes a boring game after awhile. RDR2 has a great story, but that great story comes at the expense of sandbox gameplay. These games don't deserve to be rated in the 90s. They simply add nothing new to gaming.

This generation is full of games that build on the previous generation games' philosophy. The only game that I truly feel innovated this generation is Shadow of Mordor with its AI system. Unfortunately, its AI system is not used in other games. That game deserved a metacritic score that is in the 90s. Instead, it got a score that is in the low 80s.

Justin9mm

I voted RDR2 but MGS V was also pretty disappointing to me. The controls and response time on RDR2 are god awful, possibly the worst I've ever experienced, I've never been so frustrated.

I'm not surprised TLOU2 is most voted, getting bombed just like the Metacritic Reviews lol.

Freeman

Banned
For all of those who voted TLoU2, you should feel ashamed of your words and deeds.

When your grandchild ask you where you were at the time such a master piece was released, you will have to bow your head in shame and admit you were a hater, too ignorant to understand the intricacies of Drukmann's magnum opus.

Last edited:
Out of the ones I played: Hollow Knight.

I played it right after I finished Ori and well, Ori was a much nicer experience to me.

GHG

I'm not usually a fan of polls/threads that exist for the sole purpose of people tearing apart games that are highly rated/popular but fuck me... Zelda breath of the Ubisoft deserves every vote its receives and then some.

Abear21

Banned
I don’t have a Switch but almost bought one just for BoTW! Guess I’ll wait for a Nintendo sale, as if that ever happens.

I voted MGSV. I just couldn’t get into it. The world seemed empty and the stealth was just so different being open world. Snake rolling around on the ground was hilarious though. Just a strange setup for a Metal Gear game and I was thoroughly disappointed. Maybe I’m missing something but how this game scored so well I have no idea.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Of the ones on the list I can at least see something impressive, whether it be visuals, story, gameplay, etc. The only exception for me on the list is Inside. That game fucking blew. The story was laugh out loud terrible (literally I spent the last 15 mins or so after the 'twist' laughing my ass off, which I'm fairly certain was not the intent of the developer). Add on top that the gameplay was boring and inspired and for me it's the clear winner.

.Pennywise

Banned
For all of those who voted TLoU2, you should feel ashamed of your words and deeds.

When your grandchild ask you where you were at the time such a master piece was released, you will have to bow your head in shame and admit you were a hater, too ignorant to understand the intricacies of Drukmann's magnum opus.
319241.jpg

Madflavor

Breath of the Wild is probably the most overrated game in recent memory. It's a great game, but the 97 MC score and everyone treating it like the second coming of gaming, was so ridiculous. The game had a real problem with enemy variety, the durability was annoying, the dungeons and bosses (the bread and butter of Zelda games) were boring, too few, and uninspired, the story was barebones, and the big bad had almost no presence. Again, great game, but there was enough there to hold it back from being a 10/10 for me.

Fbh

From the list and that I've actually played probably Breath of The Wild.

I loved it but I just don't think it's this mindblowing 10/10 earth shattering experience that puts most other games to shame.
The world is great and I loved the exploration and how interactive a lot of it felt, I definitely think it deserves a lot of praise for that. But the combat is nothing special, the enemy variety is rather low and still has to rely on powered up color swaps, weapons constantly breaking is annoying, the shrines have a very monotonous visual design and don't really replace the big classic dungeons, the boss battles are mostly bad, a lot of the sidequests are basic fetch quest stuff, having to go to the stables to get your horse makes them worthless and the item which fixes this is locked behind paid DLC (as well as some other stuff which a lot of other games would have released as a free update), the story is one of the least interesting ones in recent entries and it also has one of the least memorable soundtracks out of all the mainline entries.

Last edited:

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
There isnt a game I looked forward to more than Red Dead Redemption 2 and It was less than the original in every way.
Not a bad game but just a let down from the first for me. I felt them same way about The last of us 2. again not a bad game but did not live up to its predecessor. hers to hoping 3's the lucky charm

Reactions: Fbh
Red Dead Redemption 2.

I voted BOTW originally but I definitely think my answer is RDR2. The story may be good but it's plagued by terribly slow (albeit very well done) animations, slow gameplay, and a campaign that IMO overstays it's welcome. It's a huge downgrade from the original in many ways. It is definitely gorgeous though, I'll give it that.

Esca

I voted red dead redemption 2. It's a well made and attention to detail is great but I didn't get far at all, I found it very boring and things were tedious with them wanting to be so realistic

Trimesh

Banned
I voted red dead redemption 2. It's a well made and attention to detail is great but I didn't get far at all, I found it very boring and things were tedious with them wanting to be so realistic

Same here - it's honestly a pretty good "cowboy life" simulator, but just not interesting as a game and didn't engage me enough to want to carry on playing. Pretty like the reason I quit early on in Uncharted 4.

At least TLoU2 was engaging enough that I completed it - even if the writing and characterization was generally somewhere between atrocious and laughable the actual game was pretty good.

According to the poll results it’s;

TLOU2
RDR2
TW3
Animal Crossing
GOW
Metal Gear

Disregard BOTW. It’s mostly PS fans who are mad it outscored each one of their games that voted for it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just based on review scores and some video clips I saw, I don't understand how Undertale is so universally loved.

Even if this game launched on NES 35 years ago, it looks terrible.

Top Bottom