• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which was the most overrated game of the year?

Horizon 2, gow ragnarock and the furry game where you lick your own.
Yeah all of those.

Realistically I can't talk on Ragnarok but it looks like it plays exactly like the last one, which I found boring. Horizon I unfortunately tried and it was so fucking boring. Stray I downloaded for my girlfriend and she got bored of the gimmick in a couple hours.

Those are the most overrated of the year. But I'm the type who likes gameplay over story, so that is a big factor. These big cinematic games that are praised are still decades behind film, when it comes to direction and story, so I'd rather just go watch a movie and play a shmup.

I just want games to be games.

KXVXII9X

.Pennywise .Pennywise has been killing it with the hot takes the past few days. Can't wait to see what you shit on next.

OT, off the top of my head I'd say The Last of Us Part 1 (PS5). It's not even that old of a game and it cost what, $70? Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft, fuck that shit. I'll be honest though, I really dislike Naughty Dog, wasn't always that way but I just cannot get down with their style of game. I'd rather watch paint dry than play their games.

Apologies to those I've offended.
TLOU is my favorite game and I like Naughty Dog but speak your mind! The remake made no sense to me. I am hoping they would branch into different kinds of games, but it looks like Factions is their next title which is part of the same IP. Maybe it will draw in a new crowd.

Roberts

Yes! That legitimately creeped me out… once. Then I had to find those scenes over and over and over and when I saw what it was all building up to? Man that is a disappointment. Its like you are at the Playboy Mansion, living it up with Hugh, about to go have some “fun” only to wake up from your dream sad, cold, and sticky.
I've been doing a lot of editing back in the day for all kinds of projects and that game reminded me why I liked editing in the first place. To see footage many times, looking for details, and finally thinking of ways of how to put it together. It is the first time I actually bothered to complete a game like this. It helped that acting and production value is a bit better than usual. And I think they wrapped the whole story pretty well.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Stray: a disguised walking sim where its only gameplay treat is to be a cat. Inflated by mentally ill people that want to be a cat instead of embracing their human being race, and by all the lazy fat gamers that only have cats as a pet and cannot accept the utter superiority by dogs over cats, just because they're too lazy to take the dog for a walk.

So GAF, what do you think was the most overrated game of the year?
High quality review. I agree though. It is an ok game but ridiculously overrated.

GymWolf

Yeah all of those.

Realistically I can't talk on Ragnarok but it looks like it plays exactly like the last one, which I found boring. Horizon I unfortunately tried and it was so fucking boring. Stray I downloaded for my girlfriend and she got bored of the gimmick in a couple hours.

Those are the most overrated of the year. But I'm the type who likes gameplay over story, so that is a big factor. These big cinematic games that are praised are still decades behind film, when it comes to direction and story, so I'd rather just go watch a movie and play a shmup.

Agree to disagree, ragnarock combat on hard difficulty is gamey and fun as fuck and with a big challenge to overcome, same for (ranged) combat against dinobots in horizon, maybe you just don't like all the stuff in the middle but gameplay wise they are both great games (ragnarock better than fw), i think buying story driven cinematic game and expecting just combat and pure gameplay from them is where the mistake is.

I'm also absolutely sure that many "purist" gamers who only like gameplay would not be able to complete these games on their hardest difficulty, so much for interactive movies...

Stray is just a walk simulator for cat lovers, no arguing here, it is in the same category of shit like animal crossing to me.

Last edited:

Gudji

Yeah all of those.

Get a new girlfriend.

Lots of poo poo games released this year, but no stinker has been hyped to the moon and back like Elton's Ring. That game with the red haired, transitioning dude was pretty shit as well, but hype was like level 100, not 9000 like "let's fuck up the insanely popular game formula we developed by tacking on shit nobody asked for"-stutterfest from From. Stray seriously? Who was hyped for that?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Was going to say Elden Ring with it's overstuffed game world and dishwater deep combat that does nothing to separate itself from previous FS titles, but TT: Wonderland actually is what knocks ER off that pedestal: clearly BL3 DLC that was released unfinished but was overhyped (by the press at least) for its shift in gameplay and tone from the previous games, with no one really mentioning how lazy the entire affair felt.

Lots of poo poo games released this year, but no stinker has been hyped to the moon and back like Elton's Ring. That game with the red haired, transitioning dude was pretty shit as well, but hype was like level 100, not 9000 like "let's fuck up the insanely popular game formula we developed by tacking on shit nobody asked for"-stutterfest from From. Stray seriously? Who was hyped for that?

No one. It was a small indie game that got indie game coverage; and it for sure wasn't hyped to be anything more than it was. A lot of folks confusing "game I didn't like" with "overrated/hyped."

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Stray: a disguised walking sim where its only gameplay treat is to be a cat. Inflated by mentally ill people that want to be a cat instead of embracing their human being race, and by all the lazy fat gamers that only have cats as a pet and cannot accept the utter superiority by dogs over cats, just because they're too lazy to take the dog for a walk.

So GAF, what do you think was the most overrated game of the year?
I read your reasons but dont quite agree, I have four cats and am only chubby at best, i've also only ever wanted to be a Sparrowhawk, once, and never really wanted to lick my own bum

I'll give your reason a 4/10.

I added an extra three as I do want a dog but four cats and a dog would do my head in.

Last edited:

KiteGr

BOTW.

I still dont understand how this game got GOTY.
Its walking simulator + AWFUL weapon durability mechanic + AWFUL looting system + collect 400 seeds FUCK OFF
I'm playing it as we speak on my deck for the first time.
A Survival game it is certainly not, contrary to what I originally expected. It IS however an open world action game that encourages you to use your environment instead of direct combat.
Once you realize that, it clicks, and it almost becomes a game that you can make your own fun.

Besides that, i think the game is a solid 9. The reason it's on such high remark is fans and brand.

Exede

Hm for me Stray isn't on par with the rest. But hey GoW will get GOTY but all voters know in their heart that Xenoblade 3 deserved it more.

Fredrik

It had some things well done, but also some things very poorly done.
Without mods, it's just an average game.
Imo it was great without mods too but with mods it’s on a whole other level. I especially like the VR mods that implement Half-Life Alyx physics, HIGGS mod combined with VRIK for the player avatar makes this old ass game relevant even today.

winjer

Gold Member
Imo it was great without mods too but with mods it’s on a whole other level. I especially like the VR mods that implement Half-Life Alyx physics, HIGGS mod combined with VRIK for the player avatar makes this old ass game relevant even today.

Too many issues without mods.
Terrible UI. SkyUI is essential in this game.
Lots and lots of bugs.
At best, average graphics, even for 2011.
Boring main quest.
Issues with voice acting.
Average combat system.
Issues with stability and performance.

light2x

Fanboyism aside, it's definitely Stray. Dropped the game after the first hour of shitty controls and corridor walking.

And who the fuck makes a cat game without a jump button?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
There's a lot of Stray mentions in this thread, but let me say this:

You guys can't appreciate true art. Stray is a bona fide masterpiece.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I'm playing it as we speak on my deck for the first time.
A Survival game it is certainly not, contrary to what I originally expected. It IS however an open world action game that encourages you to use your environment instead of direct combat.
Once you realize that, it clicks, and it almost becomes a game that you can make your own fun.

Besides that, i think the game is a solid 9. The reason it's on such high remark is fans and brand.
i finished the game on master mode, completed all DLC and max upgraded master sword ( the trials are a pain in the ass).

Im not saying its a bad game, but its not GOTY for me, alot of boring moments for me in the game.

Last edited:
Elden Ring for sure

- Ugly as hell, media ignores the fact that it looks PS3 tier in some parts, early PS4 at best.

- God awful performance on all platforms

- Worst in industry/genre combat

- Braindead AI

- No hit reaction on enemies

- Bland open world with fantastic art design being its saving grace

- Repetitive bosses, overly long and bloated

- Poor controls and camera
Worst in industry/genre combat? Huh???? You are entitled to your opinion, but I really can’t agree with that when plenty of Western RPG’s exist.

Pedro Motta

Horizon Forbidden West.
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Post in thread 'What are your thoughts on the Horizon series?'

Isn’t this you? Doesn’t interest you, you never played it, yet you are disappointed with it.

The nerve on you.

Last edited:
Ignoring the completely unhinged OP, though I thought Elden Ring was quite good overall:

-Quest design is completely obnoxious. Only choices you have is making the game your entire life, Googling every 5 seconds, or having a walkthrough handy the entire time you play. Otherwise by talking to a random NPC before doing this and this, you can cause an NPC to die. Sometimes, where did the NPC go? Who knows? Good luck! IIRC even the ability to upgrade your AI partners for bosses was locked behind some annoying quest. Without upgrading they’re completely useless. This was a constant annoyance for me throughout.

-Complete and utter waste of interesting lore due due to FromSoftware’s allergies to having a cutscene budget. The game continues the tradition of completely unsatisfying endings. It’s possible to have a strong sense of atmosphere and mystery AND have decent cutscenes.

-Slideshow intro. I’m never getting over this.

-Lots of minor gameplay annoyances that can add up. I really do not like the platforming in any FS game like please stop. I didn’t like controlling the horse. Shit like being teleported into Caelid at the very beginning of the game. I absolutely hated a vast majority of those dungeons with the statues on rails.

Also, unless I’m missing something here, how exactly are you supposed to figure out if an enemy or boss is weak against something? Just trial and error? As if the game isn’t long enough?

And at some point all the areas in the game started being very annoying. I would not have completed the game if I didn’t find out about that EXP bug in Mohg’s Palace. Sure leveling up doesn’t turn the game into a joke but it can make the game far less annoying and more manageable.
I wish people would just tell FS “this could be better.”

But instead the Souls fanbase eats anything up. Now for the next game they probably won’t even bother with a slideshow intro.

Last edited:
Horizon: Forbidden West.
GoW: Ragnarok as well. The ps4 level design, slow sprint speed, extremely limiting gameplay (it's almost a gallery slasher/ puzzle game). Even the story is (to the point that Ive played it, not that great. The writing/ dialogue is especially bad/ bloated/ wimpy in this game. I know the story will pick up and the ending will hopefully be great, but no way this game deserves all the perfect scores it got.

Last edited:
Top Bottom