• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which was the most overrated game of the year?

.Pennywise

Banned
Stray: a disguised walking sim where its only gameplay treat is to be a cat. Inflated by mentally ill people that want to be a cat instead of embracing their human being race, and by all the lazy fat gamers that only have cats as a pet and cannot accept the utter superiority by dogs over cats, just because they're too lazy to take the dog for a walk.

So GAF, what do you think was the most overrated game of the year?

SCB3

This year? I'd agree on Stray, it was fun while it lasted but it was a solid 8/10

Overall? 2017 and Mario Odyssey

Don't get me wrong, its a great game, but its not even the best 3D Mario game (thats 3D World or Galaxy imo) and the shear amount of great titles that came out that year surpassed it (Zelda, Horizon and Resident Evil 7 to name a few)

Now for a game that didn't get GotY but deserved it? 2016 and Hitman very overlooked that year due to its episodic format (imo the best way to do Hitman, they really should just release more locations as a service model, 2016 was so good because of the time spent and detail of each of its levels)

Stray: a disguised walking sim where its only gameplay treat is to be a cat. Inflated by mentally ill people that want to be a cat instead of embracing their human being race, and by all the lazy fat gamers that only have cats as a pet and cannot accept the utter superiority by dogs over cats, just because they're too lazy to take the dog for a walk.

What a bullshit reason this.... So anyone who liked this and voiced their opinion on it is mentally ill? gtfo

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
This year? Not a lot to choose from, but for me it would be 100% Horizon Forbidden West. I had problems with the first one as well, but after some time it clicked and i liked it. Especially Forzen Wilds Dlc. I was kinda expecting part 2 to go this way as well. Didnt happen. More like 2 steps back. HFW is just a shitty game. The only good thing it has good graphics.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

Mannn, is your avatar fitting.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
'killed'

It's a pretty good game but doesn't deserve 96/100 at all.

It has several gameplay-related issues, offers 0 accessibility options, and ran like ass on all consoles and PCs. Some of the performance issues still haven't been fixed. When games like Plague Tale, Sonic Frontiers, and Gotham Knights lost points because of poor performances, Elden Ring should have lost some points too and, therefore, shouldn't have scored those 10/10s.

It only got those 10/10s because it was overhyped and overrated.

I think you have problems dude.

Kirby and the Forgotten Lands

I really wanted to like this. I was in the mood for a good Nintendo 3D platformer. Odyssey is still my favorite Switch exclusive.

But, it's just boring. I can't really explain it, except maybe the lack of challenge, but I can not click with Kirby, not even in 3D, apparently.

ahtlas7

You should do reviews! love it!

AJUMP23

Gold Member

No lies detected.

Stray or HFW. I really liked the atmosphere and world of Stray and that fantastic soundtrack, but honestly the actual gameplay was quite poor. HFW somehow felt like a step back from the first game, which I already thought was hugely overrated.

CeeJay

I must have been lucky this year, can't think of a single game i've played that i thought was over-rated. Played a few good ones and a few bad ones but all generally what I expected from them. Last year I found Forza Horizon 5 to be very dull but that was probably more to do with being burned out on the series after playing the previous 4. Once you've played one you've played them all pretty much, same shit different country.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm really, really enjoying God of War: Ragnarok so far, but it hasn't been leaps and bounds beyond God of War 2018 in a way that most sequels need to be to garner the types of praise that Ragnarok has received.

My experience has been a game that I'd expect to have an 85-90 Metacritic vs the 94 that it currently has. Still fantastic, but a 94 average is among the best games of all time and I'm not really feeling that just yet.

Who knows, could change by the time I finish the game though.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

This thread is how I'm gonna die isn't it?

My most overrated game this year by far is Elden Ring. I'm not trolling. Some of these are technical and some are personal reasons.

For all the hype about this doing open world right, I thought it was the complete opposite. The world was completely static, which is something I don't want in an open world. I feel like the combat was a step down from Sekiro and Bloodborne.

I played on PC and had some of the worst stuttering I've experienced and my PC is more than powerful enough. I had constantly framerate hiccups that did effect my gameplay where it froze for a second every so often. I've played more demanding games that run consistently at 60 fps or higher.

I hated the camera controls, especially when my view was constantly obstructed. (Personal) I also hated how clunky dodging felt since it activated when you let go of the button. Combat overall felt super clunky. I massively preferred more "dumbed down" combat from stuff like God of War or Platinum titles. It just wasn't for me.

Shh

Horizon FW

Embodies everything wrong with todays AAA games and made me quite gaming for a few months after I forced myself to complete and Platin this game.
It was disappointing compared to the first game. There is supposed to be a third installment. Maybe they can redeem themselves. I don't know. I mean it wasn't all bad. I still had fun (except that incredibly horrific ending). It just wasn't special like the first game. I replayed the first game like 5 times. After the first play through of FW, I had zero desire to play again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom