• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which was the most overrated game of the year?

Forbidden West and Ragnarok.

Listen, I’m a Sony Pony, loved basically all their first party output on the PS4, but these are exactly the same games that look just a little shinier.
What happened? Did they fire all the game designers over there?

I should’ve bought an Xbox.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Forbidden West and Ragnarok.

Listen, I’m a Sony Pony, loved basically all their first party output on the PS4, but these are exactly the same games that look just a little shinier.
What happened? Did they fire all the game designers over there?

I should’ve bought an Xbox.
At least you have new first party games to play on playstation. We are starving over here. All we’ve gotten is mismanaged studios, cg trailers, and undercooked games like halo infinite. We do get the occasional treat with a forza horizon or flight sim, but those have been few and far between.

Bragr

Banned
Immortality. It had some clever ideas but I am very surprised to see it nominated for stuff at the VGA. Almost everyone I see is very hu-hum on that game, I think what happened is that since it's so short and on Game Pass, a lot of journalists played it, overvaluing it.

The twist is good, but you spend most of that game scrubbing through videos looking for some clues. The highs are infrequent.

It has become the hipster journalist game of choice, sort of like Unpacking was last year.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
GoW Ragnarok is no “94” average game, just like the previous game wasn’t deserving of a 94.

Also boy did that Horizon honeymoon end. Too bad Sony’s going all in on the franchise.

Jennings

I never played Stray. I wasn't a fan of Xenoblade 3, but while it's almost universally loved I don't think it's overrated so much as just not for me (XC2 is my favorite in the series). God of War is rated highly but looks like it deserves the praise.

Only Horizon Forbidden West seems overrated to me, given how many players have described their issues with the bland and outdated gameplay elements. It's pretty, but it would be inappropriate to rate a game highly based solely on looks. This is the the same issue I have with other good looking games with insufficient gameplay experiences, like Hellblade. I haven't played HFW though, so while it's possible I would have a higher opinion of it that its average critical players, the issues they've brought up about the game really strike a chord with me and appeal to my own preferences.

Last edited:

Shh

I think everyone who said Stray in this thread is vindicated cuz how the fuck is that a Game of the year nominee?
A lot of people love cats, I guess.

200.webp

Kvally

Banned
GoW R

Stray: a disguised walking sim where its only gameplay treat is to be a cat. Inflated by mentally ill people that want to be a cat instead of embracing their human being race, and by all the lazy fat gamers that only have cats as a pet and cannot accept the utter superiority by dogs over cats, just because they're too lazy to take the dog for a walk.

So GAF, what do you think was the most overrated game of the year?

I loved playing Stray.

I personally didn´t like BotW and Elden Ring at all even though I am a big Zelda and Souls fan and have played all the prior games.

Both games to me just felt like huge single player MMOs without other players, a story or quests.

To me it´s incredibly disappointing to see the direction these franchises went.

reinking

Gold Member
Should I have tried Stray? When it was released, I had no desire to go around being a cat. Now you guys have peeked my interest.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

gotta say horizon forbidden west, it's a beautiful boring as fuck game. i had to force myself to finish it and i regret it, awesome showcase for next gen gfx tho
nah at least i had more fun in HFW than in BOTW. Your weapon break all the time in BOTW.
"Hey look at that giant flame sword in the snow mountain !!" *breaks few seconds later

Nubulax

I personally didn´t like BotW and Elden Ring at all even though I am a big Zelda and Souls fan and have played all the prior games.

Both games to me just felt like huge single player MMOs without other players, a story or quests.

To me it´s incredibly disappointing to see the direction these franchises went.

THIS..... I have had that thought too... if you havent played an MMO I guess Elden Rings world felt revolutionary but as someone who has played a few different MMOS that is exactly what Elden Rings world felt like minus any other players and such

MadPanda

Banned
Horizon Forbidden West for sure. I had the platinum in the first game, completed it and it's dlc to 100% but I just couldn't force myself to complete this game. Gave up after some 20-30% by my estimates. Can't point to anything in particular, it just wasn't fun and interesting. I bought a ps5 to play it and sold them both shortly afterwards.

FUBARx89

Stray. My kid played all of 10 minutes of meowing then got bored. I tried it myself and it was shite, harsh to say only mentally ill people like it like. Case of each to their own.

See people saying H:FW cause ne one talked about it? That's cause Sony sent it out against Elden Ring basically. They did the same thing for the first one against breath of the wild.

EA levels of dumb fuckery releasing Titanfall 2 between Battlefield 1 & whatever CoD it was that year.
Elden Ring

(runs)

But seriously, that endgame was total crap.

Tbf. Ya not wrong about the end game. I think it's a rite of passage for at least one section of souls games to be utter crap baring Bloodborne. For ER they just went "ehhhhhhhh, make everything damage sponges! And add a Engineer in from Halo for the lulz"

Madflavor

Blessed Plague Tale remains under the radar in this thread.

But seriously on that list, I would echo what most people have said and say Stray. It's a meme game at this point. Anyone who said Elden Ring needs to get their head checked.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Stray: a disguised walking sim where its only gameplay treat is to be a cat. Inflated by mentally ill people that want to be a cat instead of embracing their human being race, and by all the lazy fat gamers that only have cats as a pet and cannot accept the utter superiority by dogs over cats, just because they're too lazy to take the dog for a walk.

So GAF, what do you think was the most overrated game of the year?
I think I’d like to read your take any every game.

Ogbert

Can I ask people that have said Horizon, why its overrated. Im not sure what the expectations were but I thought it was better in almost every single aspect over Horizon Zero Dawn. Visually it might be the best looking game that has come out, I think it still looks better than God of War Ragnarok and its open world. I had absolutely zero performance issues or bugs on the quality 30fps mode at launch, but maybe I just got lucky. I can see if peoples main issue is the story but I feel that is wildly subjective (just like the last of us 2 conversations). Zero Dawn story is seen as better probably because it was a complete mystery and you were driving forward to find out what happened and discovering this new world and the characters in it and their backstories. I feel like FW expanded on all this and took it to unexpected places.

I know a common complaint has been the melee combat but I think this criticism is kind of weak considering I never thought this game was supposed to be a melee heavy game and the combat has pretty much always supposed to be more ranged combat. I thought they did improve this in FW though as well, although probably still not up to peoples liking. It would be liking knocking COD because of melee combat lol
For me, the main problem I have with the game is that Aloy is not fun to control. The moment to moment gameplay is a chore. She’s fiddly to move. The climbing is annoying. The game had all sorts of invisible barriers that make no sense (she can scale a mountain but not a four foot high wall).

It’s far too big. Pointless Ubisoft bloat everywhere. Combat should be incredible but, again, just becomes tedious.

And the story is drivel.

But it looks astonishing.

ungalo

I didn't play anything that was too overrated. A Plague Tale Requiem since it's nominated for GOTY, but apart from that its reception wasn't overwhelmingly positive.

I have to say, Tinykin is a really bad game. Everytime i saw this game mentioned it was praised. It runs out of ideas after 2 hours. People are so desperate for 3D plateformers that they give a pass to anything.

drotahorror

Maybe it's not really overrated but definitely overhyped and self overhyped.

The Quarry.

I do think The Devil in Me looks much better though. Comes out this week.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Should I have tried Stray? When it was released, I had no desire to go around being a cat. Now you guys have peeked my interest.
I platted it recently. I enjoyed my time with it. Short game, very laid back. Platforming as a cat just makes sense. It’s not a 10/10 but it’s a very solid 8.

fart town usa

Gold Member
.Pennywise .Pennywise has been killing it with the hot takes the past few days. Can't wait to see what you shit on next.

OT, off the top of my head I'd say The Last of Us Part 1 (PS5). It's not even that old of a game and it cost what, $70? Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft, fuck that shit. I'll be honest though, I really dislike Naughty Dog, wasn't always that way but I just cannot get down with their style of game. I'd rather watch paint dry than play their games.

Apologies to those I've offended.

Dthomp

Stray, and for me by a very wide margin. I normally enjoy a good indie walking sim game between big massive games, but I just don't understand the crazy hype people have over this game. Like it was ok, like a solid 7/10 maybe but GOTY? Don't make me laugh, and it's been a pretty down year for games to me so that's saying something

Thief1987

Plague Tale for sure. Worst game I played this year by a mile. Endless walkie-talkie, rudimentary gameplay, poorly designed stealth sections. Just offensively boring and bad game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom