• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which was the most overrated game of the year?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Stray and Horizon quite easily, but I still haven't played Cult of the Lamb.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Stray.
84/87 on OpenCritic?

Nah fam thats way way too high.
I dont know if I overhyped the game to myself, but the actual gameplay is super super shallow.
Scorn would be my pick. What a waste of potential.
Scorn has like a 64 metacritic.
You think thats overrated?
Noting that according to GAF anything below an 80 is immediately a bad utter trash failure of a game.

Nubulax

This thread is how I'm gonna die isn't it?

My most overrated game this year by far is Elden Ring. I'm not trolling. Some of these are technical and some are personal reasons.

For all the hype about this doing open world right, I thought it was the complete opposite. The world was completely static, which is something I don't want in an open world. I feel like the combat was a step down from Sekiro and Bloodborne.

I played on PC and had some of the worst stuttering I've experienced and my PC is more than powerful enough. I had constantly framerate hiccups that did effect my gameplay where it froze for a second every so often. I've played more demanding games that run consistently at 60 fps or higher.

I hated the camera controls, especially when my view was constantly obstructed. (Personal) I also hated how clunky dodging felt since it activated when you let go of the button. Combat overall felt super clunky. I massively preferred more "dumbed down" combat from stuff like God of War or Platinum titles. It just wasn't for me.

Yes, Elden Ring....This should be about the only answer in this thread....unbelievable how its not although a bit of context is required here. Just because something is overrated does not mean it is a bad game. Elden Ring is a good game, maybe even a great game.

If you are to determine how overrated or overhyped something is, you need to take in where the rating or hype is to begin with. There is no game that even comes close to Elden Ring considering you would think it was the second coming of Jesus Christ himself in video game form if you were to believe social media and everyone around release time. That it was a type of game nobody has seen in their entire lives and that it was so revolutionary that it was the most monumental achievement in gaming history.

It WILL win game of the year and lots of people like it, but its overrated im sorry. Theres several aspects of the game that werent a step above anything, some of which include the actual graphics(seperate from art direction), UI, performance, and narrative/story.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’d go stray as well, unless you love cats not much going for it.

Lot of people saying horizon, don’t remember anyone talking about it this year….

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
BOTW.

I still donWRONGct 400 seeds FUCK OFF
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

gotta say horizon forbidden west, it's a beautiful boring as fuck game. i had to force myself to finish it and i regret it, awesome showcase for next gen gfx tho

Last edited:
The one you like the most.

Now. Objectively: Horizon.

WAKE UP CALL!!!!!

They better come up with a 180-degree design philosophy. And better writers.

MiguelItUp

For me, Horizon Forbidden West for sure. I personally don't get the IP at all, and Sony is doing all these things with it. I couldn't careless. A sequel this year, a rumored MMO, and a VR game? Nah, I'm good. But the TLOU Remake for me, as well. For anything that's outside of the realm of AAA, I'd probably say Stray too. It was EVERYWHERE for a minute, and then those people stopped talking about it, lol.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Gonna go with Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope

While it wasn’t terrible, it felt really average story wise and imo a tactical game without appropriate difficulty settings just makes no sense.

Halfway through the game you identify a broken combo and can blow through regular maps in 1-2 turns without any risk even in Hard difficulty. Even boss fights can be broken that way, it just takes a few more turns to set up.

Then there’s the exploration / puzzle part. Alas, like most mainstream games the puzzles in this game are designed to be doable by all players and that’s a really low bar to clear.

On the bright side the game looks pretty and the soundtrack was really good but that’s not enough to make a good game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
For me, Horizon Forbidden West for sure. I personally don't get the IP at all, and Sony is doing all these things with it. I couldn't careless. A sequel this year, a rumored MMO, and a VR game? Nah, I'm good. But the TLOU Remake for me, as well. For anything that's outside of the realm of AAA, I'd probably say Stray too. It was EVERYWHERE for a minute, and then those people stopped talking about it, lol.
TLOU 1 if you never played the first one at least it's a good game. But yeah i agree i bought the remake i played it for like 40 min and said.. yup it's the same damn game

Last edited:

Banned
it's very rare that a game isn't massively overrated because game reviews are usually astonishingly shallow and rushed pieces of wasted server/paper space.

there's also the equivalent of Oscar Bait movies in games, the typical AAA "cinematic" crap

the fact that God of War Ragnarök is unironically being pitted against Elden Ring for example is more than enough evidence of that.
while Ragnarök certainly is a pretty good game overall, it's nowhere near as good as the reviews would suggest. there are so many issues with it and it doesn't really do anything especially well, it's all just "pretty good" and that's about it.

Last edited:

Nubulax

Can I ask people that have said Horizon, why its overrated. Im not sure what the expectations were but I thought it was better in almost every single aspect over Horizon Zero Dawn. Visually it might be the best looking game that has come out, I think it still looks better than God of War Ragnarok and its open world. I had absolutely zero performance issues or bugs on the quality 30fps mode at launch, but maybe I just got lucky. I can see if peoples main issue is the story but I feel that is wildly subjective (just like the last of us 2 conversations). Zero Dawn story is seen as better probably because it was a complete mystery and you were driving forward to find out what happened and discovering this new world and the characters in it and their backstories. I feel like FW expanded on all this and took it to unexpected places.

I know a common complaint has been the melee combat but I think this criticism is kind of weak considering I never thought this game was supposed to be a melee heavy game and the combat has pretty much always supposed to be more ranged combat. I thought they did improve this in FW though as well, although probably still not up to peoples liking. It would be liking knocking COD because of melee combat lol

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

Yes, Elden Ring....This should be about the only answer in this thread....unbelievable how its not although a bit of context is required here. Just because something is overrated does not mean it is a bad game. Elden Ring is a good game, maybe even a great game.

If you are to determine how overrated or overhyped something is, you need to take in where the rating or hype is to begin with. There is no game that even comes close to Elden Ring considering you would think it was the second coming of Jesus Christ himself in video game form if you were to believe social media and everyone around release time. That it was a type of game nobody has seen in their entire lives and that it was so revolutionary that it was the most monumental achievement in gaming history.

It WILL win game of the year and lots of people like it, but its overrated im sorry. Theres several aspects of the game that werent a step above anything, some of which include the actual graphics, UI, performance, and narrative/story.
Exactly. Just because something would be labeled overrated, doesn't mean it is bad. It is more of a personal description. For me, the game did not match the level of excitement and hype from the general online audience that I saw. What other's praised about the game, I didn't exactly enjoy. All personal. The reason I put it at the top is due to the technical hiccups which are not just a personal issue, and they were overlooked, while other games had docked points for them. Words like overrated, underrated, innovative, repetitive doesn't fully describe the quality of something. Like you said, it is all in context.

Fbh

That I played, definitely Stray.
It has nice visuals, that was about the only good thing about it

Horizon Forbidden West.
There are many things I dislike about this game. I consider it inferior to Zero Dawn is almost every way.
The way the detail of the world interferes with combat. (Dodge and smack into a rock).
The way they spread out the upgrade tree. (Draggy cursors should be illegal on Consoles).
The way there is at least one too many ammo types, (Purge Water should be purged from the game).
The way the mounts follow paths. (And suddenly don't).
The way the cliffs are covered in yellow climb paths. (I turned if off).
The way you had to jump on drones. (And miss and try try try again).
The way flying mounts fly. (A city bus would be faster).

I liked everything else. (It was OK).

It's between Elden Ring and God of war ragnorok. Elden Ring is a rehash of dark souls and ragnorok is a rehash of a game that ruined a once great franchise.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Elden Ring for sure

- Ugly as hell, media ignores the fact that it looks PS3 tier in some parts, early PS4 at best.

- God awful performance on all platforms

- Worst in industry/genre combat

- Braindead AI

- No hit reaction on enemies

- Bland open world with fantastic art design being its saving grace

- Repetitive bosses, overly long and bloated

- Poor controls and camera

Arachnid

Let’s write a thread together on how much we dislike Horizon.
I don't think I've ever made a thread before on gaf that I can remember. Making one to bash the most boring and overrated PS4 game I've ever played though? Intriguing. :pie_thinking:

I bet we'd actually have a solid amount of people agreeing too, judging but how much Horizon has already come up in this thread.

I've also always considered making one about MGSV. I love the game and got the plat, but it was a huge step down from 4 in terms of stealth. People seem to have the impression that it was an upgrade for the series (in some ways, sure; but on the whole it fucked up a good thing).

Honestly? Horizon Forbidden West.

It suffered from the "it's a sequel so let's just give them more of everything even if it makes no sense" syndrome. Sidequests that went nowhere and were repetitive as hell. Plenty of weapons that ultimately felt useless. A horrible and outdated game design that drags the game down. Why make an open world game that doesn't allow you to climb anywhere you clearly can? Invisible walls in an open world game in 2022? And even worst...they made the climbing system even worst.

When an open world game needs a system to help you navigate through the world map (in this case, a focus) and tell you where you can climb or not, then it has failed in my eyes.

The worst offender is...the clues where to go and what to do. I swear this bitch needs to shut up.

I won't even mention how they basically grabbed the best bits of everything story-related from the first game and...didn't give them any closure. Ted Faro alone was ridiculous.

When you finish playing a sequel and you're less excited about what's coming than at the beginning of the game, then it failed in my eyes. A cloud named Nemesis is coming to earth to destroy us all? lmao

At this point i'd rather have a new Killzone then a Horizon 3. Seriously.

Old me would have said botw but it’s impact far outweighs its quality. At this point idk if any of the game awards goty are overrated...they all seem to be appropriately rated.

Elden Ring for sure

- Ugly as hell, media ignores the fact that it looks PS3 tier in some parts, early PS4 at best.

- God awful performance on all platforms

- Worst in industry/genre combat

- Braindead AI

- No hit reaction on enemies

- Bland open world with fantastic art design being its saving grace

- Repetitive bosses, overly long and bloated

- Poor controls and camera
Any game can be bad if you make up faults like these.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Stray and Horizon quite easily, but I still haven't played Cult of the Lamb.
Cult of the Lamb is pretty good, but must say, there are a few too many indie games that are praised to the heavens when, in actual fact, they’re nothing more than average. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

It’s a 7/10.

Doesn’t really need to have the randomised dungeons.

Ogbert

I enjoyed ER but I personally don’t want From to proceed in that design direction.

As others have suggested, it’s too aimless and the open world lessens the magic of Dark Souls. Just replayed DS3 and it’s just so much tighter and more enjoyable.

Still a great game though.

intbal

I haven't played many of the big name releases this year, so I can't legitimately assess whether or not they were overrated.
I supposed Trek To Yomi would be my pick.
It wasn't declared GOTY or anything, but it got some praise.
I thought it was incredibly dull and monotonous.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Can I ask people that have said Horizon, why its overrated. Im not sure what the expectations were but I thought it was better in almost every single aspect over Horizon Zero Dawn. Visually it might be the best looking game that has come out, I think it still looks better than God of War Ragnarok and its open world. I had absolutely zero performance issues or bugs on the quality 30fps mode at launch, but maybe I just got lucky. I can see if peoples main issue is the story but I feel that is wildly subjective (just like the last of us 2 conversations). Zero Dawn story is seen as better probably because it was a complete mystery and you were driving forward to find out what happened and discovering this new world and the characters in it and their backstories. I feel like FW expanded on all this and took it to unexpected places.

I know a common complaint has been the melee combat but I think this criticism is kind of weak considering I never thought this game was supposed to be a melee heavy game and the combat has pretty much always supposed to be more ranged combat. I thought they did improve this in FW though as well, although probably still not up to peoples liking. It would be liking knocking COD because of melee combat lol
For some reason Horizon Forbidden West gets criticized a lot on here but reviews from nearly everywhere (retail stores included) have many people praising the game

I'd still give it a 89 or 90 today

Spyxos

Gold Member

Almost everything in this game doesn't work or is worse than in the predecessor. The fights are just annoying way too many weapons way too much grind. The sound was very atmospheric in the first. Alone the explosions had a brilliant Sounddesign. Part 2 everything sounds wrong and weird. In addition, the same metal sound is always played no matter whether I fought against dinos or against armored people.

Then Aloy. No idea what all went wrong here, but she just got on my nerves. Same with the rest of the cast. Part 1 had cool armor and everything seemed like a unified whole. Part 2 the armor looked like it was designed by a toddler and it was very hard to take the other races seriously at all. Then there was the story. Was there one at all? I didn't notice any.

Shh

Almost everything in this game doesn't work or is worse than in the predecessor. The fights are just annoying way too many weapons way too much grind. The sound was very atmospheric in the first. Alone the explosions had a brilliant Sounddesign. Part 2 everything sounds wrong and weird. In addition, the same metal sound is always played no matter whether I fought against dinos or against armored people.

Then Aloy. No idea what all went wrong here, but she just got on my nerves. Same with the rest of the cast. Part 1 had cool armor and everything seemed like a unified whole. Part 2 the armor looked like it was designed by a toddler and it was very hard to take the other races seriously at all. Then there was the story. Was there one at all? I didn't notice any.
The first was definitely better in every way. Dunno why they didn't just improve on the formula of the first. I had a long hiatus from gaming and the first got me into gaming again.

nemiroff

Gold Member
The correct title would be: Which popular game this year don't you like, and why?

Anyway, I disliked "Dave the Diver" ("Overwhelmingly positive" on Steam) because I didn't know it was a restaurant "quick, cook this dish for that person before he leaves!" type restaurant management game. Maybe I'll try to get back into it sometime.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Elden Ring

(runs)

But seriously, that endgame was total crap.

I just don't think Elden Ring has the content variety (bosses, enemy types, loot) to justify its' size or runtime. That's not to say it skimped on content, but it did tend to feel repetitious. It's one of my least favorite FROM Souls games, but is still one of my favorite games this year.

Top Bottom