• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which was the most overrated game of the year?

I would have to agree about Horizon. I didn’t give it much of a chance so I will probably try it again at some point but the graphics are good for screenshots but the scenes are just way too packed with detail and you can’t see anything, every time I run into an invisible barrier it ruins my immersion and then the jank animations are unbearable for me and on top of that the game gave me horrible motion sickness.

God of War is probably a bit of a second for me, I’ve only played ratchet and clank, god of war, horizon, they are bullions and elden ring all year.

God of War is good so far but maybe my hype / expectations were too high or I’m just unable to enjoy the same old same old nature of AAA releases anymore but I’ve been getting that same sense of invisible walls, over detailed scenes that give me motion sickness in some instances and what feels like a step back in the combat feel or something because of the lack of the fists tree / the new shields don’t seem to gel for me. I’ve been feeling pretty unwell the last couple weeks though so that could be jading my perception I’m planning to continue playing it though which did not happen with Horizon.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Xenoblade 3, Horizon FW

Most underrated is Bayonetta 3

omg-oh-my-gosh.gif

Rivet

Elden Ring. I liked the game a lot but it's mostly an open world Souls game and we already played Souls games like 10 times before. Same monster theme park with everybody waiting in place to kill you. Same attributes, mostly the same mechanics as in other Souls games, with a few additions. Same big technical limitations with so so graphics and technicals.

It's a bit overrated at this point. At least for casual players, it should probably be rated a bit lower.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Elden Ring for sure

- Ugly as hell, media ignores the fact that it looks PS3 tier in some parts, early PS4 at best.

- God awful performance on all platforms

- Worst in industry/genre combat

- Braindead AI

- No hit reaction on enemies

- Bland open world with fantastic art design being its saving grace

- Repetitive bosses, overly long and bloated

- Poor controls and camera
Strang. I agree with all of that, but still couldn’t put it down. 150+ hours put into it.

Kusarigama

Elder Ring, fromsoftware need to up their visual fidelity department. They themself acknowledged this in their financial reports meeting.

Deerock71

Pong. It was just two rectangles and a square. And get this, the SQUARE was supposed to be a ball! Still, it might be worth something with ray-tracing.

Laptop1991

Most overrated game of the year means a game that was rated highly but you didn't think was that good. Saints Row was a game that wasn't rated highly, and no one thought was good lol

Anyone who thought Saints Row was good is either legally blind or mentally ill.
Correct, but seeing as it was the only 1 i was interested in after the Starfield delay, it's my overrated game of the year

Last edited:
I was gonna say The Last of Us 2, but then realized it released in 2020, and began to wonder where these past two years have gone. And then I saw The Last of Us 1 was re-released this year, so I settled on that.

Fredrik

Immortality. Wanted more evidence that “reviews” and ”meta critic/opencritic” was a massive joke. It was. Easily the worst game I played this year.
Yeah I don’t understand what critics saw there. There was one thing, that first hidden scene, you know what I mean if you played through it, it legit sent shivers down my spine. But other than that I would have more fun clicking through the list of trending clips on Youtube.

Yeah I don’t understand what critics saw there. There was one thing, that first hidden scene, you know what I mean if you played through it, it legit sent shivers down my spine. But other than that I would have more fun clicking through the list of trending clips on Youtube.

Yes! That legitimately creeped me out… once. Then I had to find those scenes over and over and over and when I saw what it was all building up to? Man that is a disappointment. Its like you are at the Playboy Mansion, living it up with Hugh, about to go have some “fun” only to wake up from your dream sad, cold, and sticky.

Fredrik

Yes! That legitimately creeped me out… once. Then I had to find those scenes over and over and over and when I saw what it was all building up to? Man that is a disappointment. Its like you are at the Playboy Mansion, living it up with Hugh, about to go have some “fun” only to wake up from your dream sad, cold, and sticky.
Lmao yeah that’s the one, that was a cool idea, but in the end I hardly thought the whole thing was even a game.
I can say this though, as long as Gamepass exist I’m fine with devs doing experimental stuff but I would’ve been pissed if critics tricked me to actually buy something like that because of stupidly high scores. Somewhere someone actually did that. That must’ve hurt.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Forbidden West and Ragnarok.

Listen, I’m a Sony Pony, loved basically all their first party output on the PS4, but these are exactly the same games that look just a little shinier.
What happened? Did they fire all the game designers over there?

I should’ve bought an Xbox.
Incredulous Yeah Right GIF by Nick Cannon

Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Snooze fest story (except mecha cutscenes). Snooze fest combat. Snooze fest environments. Worst Xenogame to date IMO, yet gets a game of the year nod because it has that AAA polish, making it more egregious.

The combat is the absolute worst in the series. I basically keep it on auto battle for anything that allows it. Even when I do battles with direct control, it's just a spam fest. There isn't enough nuance between the different variants of classes to make it interesting. I'm pretty close to the end and just want to see how it wraps up and connects to the others games in the series at this point.

Alan Wake

Probably Stray. I like it, it's a 7/10, gorgeous looking and all. But it's not that fun to play. People seem to have fallen for the cat and ignoring all the shortcomings.

MacReady13

Horizon. Such a poor series of games. Really couldn't get into the original. I tried so much to get into the sequel and for a while I enjoyed what I was playing but damn, game is such an average game at best.

Like a damn fool I've pre ordered the psvr2 with Horizon. 3rd time lucky maybe???

Drizzlehell

Banned
Elden Ring but not because it's not a good game. It's more because of the turbo-fans who talked about it like it was the second coming of Christ. I legit remember seeing some posts where some brainlets were talking about the addition of jumping as if Elden Ring was the first game ever to invent such a concept. You literally wanna just grab these people by their greasy hair and hold it down underwater until they stop twitching.

noise36

Horizon FW - pretty but boring and tiresome to play

Stray - even my young kids didn't want to play it, gave up at the first death

Last edited:
Lmao yeah that’s the one, that was a cool idea, but in the end I hardly thought the whole thing was even a game.
I can say this though, as long as Gamepass exist I’m fine with devs doing experimental stuff but I would’ve been pissed if critics tricked me to actually buy something like that because of stupidly high scores. Somewhere someone actually did that. That must’ve hurt.

Yep, makes it sting a bit less. But I still want hours of my life back T-T

sigmaZ

Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Snooze fest story (except mecha cutscenes). Snooze fest combat. Snooze fest environments. Worst Xenogame to date IMO, yet gets a game of the year nod because it has that AAA polish, making it more egregious.

While I agree, I still enjoy playing. The music is amazing though. Everything else feels lackluster.

sigmaZ

Elden Ring but not because it's not a good game. It's more because of the turbo-fans who talked about it like it was the second coming of Christ. I legit remember seeing some posts where some brainlets were talking about the addition of jumping as if Elden Ring was the first game ever to invent such a concept. You literally wanna just grab these people by their greasy hair and hold it down underwater until they stop twitching.
I thought it was a good game for the most part. But the last part /section felt REALLY dragged out.

Xeaker

This.
One of the worst JRPGs I ever played and I played them all except Japan only games and SMT5.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes, Elden Ring....This should be about the only answer in this thread....unbelievable how its not although a bit of context is required here. Just because something is overrated does not mean it is a bad game. Elden Ring is a good game, maybe even a great game.

If you are to determine how overrated or overhyped something is, you need to take in where the rating or hype is to begin with. There is no game that even comes close to Elden Ring considering you would think it was the second coming of Jesus Christ himself in video game form if you were to believe social media and everyone around release time. That it was a type of game nobody has seen in their entire lives and that it was so revolutionary that it was the most monumental achievement in gaming history.

It WILL win game of the year and lots of people like it, but its overrated im sorry. Theres several aspects of the game that werent a step above anything, some of which include the actual graphics(seperate from art direction), UI, performance, and narrative/story.
The side quests were totally busted.
There is no way to know that person x is waiting for you and he is in y ass corner of the world… it’s not like you are going back there or it’s on the way.

In souls, quests almost worked because you could find some characters on the way since it was more linear.
I find souls progression better, pacing better and I think open world, crafting, constant gathering of crap… it all just introduced bloat. Same with tons of repeated bosses for no reason and poor rewards. Not to mention poor duo bosses.
As for main bosses, I think they were too frantic and hard. Like crazy speeds.
Souls 1 and 2 elegant boss design is not coming back.
These games starter speeding up with bloodborne as it’s the only way to make them harder and you have to make it harder.
Even ds3 is slow in comparison to er real bosses. Er is constant ringed city levels but ringed city was short endgame dlc to the trilogy.

I loved er world. The ambient of capital was fantastic and I love the game above most else. But it’s my least fav souls.

Also horizon fw. The game should be more criticised as most of its core aspects are just bad

Last edited:
I know it came out late last year, but I'd probably say the newest Battlefield is the last game that fell short of expectations.

It was a mess, and was probably the biggest disappointment for me over the last year or so.

I played the beta and got on here and there at a friend's place, so I'm quite lucky I didn't spend my own money on it - and I don't tend to experience many bad games at any rate...mainly thanks to the sheer number of sources out there.

Seeing that it is coming to Game Pass in the near future I may take a look and see if it has improved.

In general, however, you can get a pretty good idea of how good a game runs, how it looks, how it plays, from places like Gaf, You Tube, Twitter, Reddit etc...and so I just don't buy them if they don't have a consensus, and aren't generally receiving positive feedback.

Last edited:
Easily Ragnarok. Before anyone had even played it they had it in their head that it was gods greatest gift to gamers! Not a single negative word would be heard against it. There is no doubt it's a good game. I'm not saying it's bad but holy shit lmfao it is overrated.

Elden Ring was overrated too. I quite enjoyed it and played it for 130+ hours but parts of it disappointed me. The open world was a nice change from previous games but it's open world for the sake of it. They could've done so much more with the world map but once you play it for about 20 hours you've basically seen everything as far as landmarks/dungeons/side bosses etc go. The map is beautiful but it feels so lifeless at times.

Also, the game is easy as shit lol and people want an easy mode? I have to go out of my way to try make it harder by not using certain gameplay mechanics. I think there were maybe 2-3 bosses I had some "bother" with and by that I mean I didn't totally wreck them on first try but maybe my second, third, or fourth attempt.

I hope the next From Software game is more of a challenge and goes back to the previous map designs. If they are going to stick with open world then they need to do so much better.

Top Bottom