• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most overrated game of the Generation

The most overrated game of the Generation

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 64 7.1%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 26 2.9%
  • God of War

Votes: 41 4.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 105 11.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Zela: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 135 15.1%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 228 25.4%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 43 4.8%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 29 3.2%
  • Overwatch

Votes: 39 4.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Celeste

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Monster Hunter: World

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Persona 5

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Inside

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 47 5.2%
  • Undertale

Votes: 18 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
UPDATE:

Votes closed. Winners results:

EGuuCOB.jpg

Original post:

These games have an average of around 90+ score.

However we are not all the same. Maybe because you found its story shallow, the gameplay not so appealing, it's graphics, artstyle, mechanics or even the technical level of the game to not be so awesome...

What do you think is the most overrated game of the Generation? Why?

Last edited:

Banned
absolutely RDR2, absolute garbage that game... like, I think games like Uncharted 4 or TLOU2 are 7/10 games at best, but RDR2 is a game that gets 9/10 or even 10/10 scores while IMO deserving less than 5/10. I would rate it a 4/10, and only that high because the interaction system is a neat little idea and the graphics are ridiculous, everything else in that game is a hot steaming pile of shit tho

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It was hard to chose between UC4 and RDR2 both were boring and I wasn't a fan of the gameplay, but I went with UC4 because I liked the horses in RDR, it had much better graphics and the final chapter was emotional and impactful. Additionally I really hated Nate being turned into a boring, pussywhipped family man in UC4.

Aion002

Also, you missed Forza Horizon 4, 92 mc score.

And nope.... It's also not overrated.

TLOU2, the story was hit or miss, funny enough the gameplay is the best part of the game. After that it's either Witcher 3 (not much of an RPG to me, graphics aren't as great as everyone says but decent, combat is not good) or Resident Evil 2 (not a fan of horror games, I prefer games like Bloodborne where it exists but the gameplay isn't centered around it. How are horror games fun?).

BOTW and Bloodborne got to be the best games on this list.

NinjaBoiX

Animal Crossing, definitely.

Click all the things!

Do it over and over again!

Collect piecemeal reward!

Move pre-made twee furnishings and such about on an invisible grid!

*Sleep IRL, eager to see the fruits of your labour*

Wake up and collect menial, piecemeal reward!

Click all the things!

Really?

Banned
BOTW and Bloodborne got to be the best games on this list.

by far, at least from the selection here that I played... 2 games that are close to perfection IMO, Bloodborne's issue is the performance issues, which are a real damn shame. and Zelda's issue is the samey art design of the Shrines and no real big dungeons (the beast dungeons were too small) but the overall amedesign was spectacular in both.

absolutely RDR2, absolute garbage that game... like, I think games like Uncharted 4 or TLOU2 are 7/10 games at best, but RDR2 is a game that gets 9/10 or even 10/10 scores while IMO deserving less than 5/10. I would rate it a 4/10, and only that high because the interaction system is a neat little idea and the graphics are ridiculous, everything else in that game is a hot steaming pile of shit tho

A 4/10 for RDR2? Come on man lol. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my play through so far but I could definitely see how some wouldn’t like it.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
Animal Crossing is basically just a grind fest now, taking some of the worst aspects of Games as a Service and making them game mechanics. Grinding for the sake of grinding is never fun.

Zelda BOTW: No incredible music the series is known for, very few actual dungeons, weapons breaking every nano second is never fun, if I wanted to play a survival game I'd play a survival game. Get those mechanics the fuck out of Zelda.

by far, at least from the selection here that I played... 2 games that are close to perfection IMO, Bloodborne's issue is the performance issues, which are a real damn shame. and Zelda's issue is the samey art design of the Shrines and no real big dungeons (the beast dungeons were too small) but the overall amedesign was spectacular in both.
BOTW has some pretty big things that bring it down, now that you mention it the dungeons really aren't great. I love the survival aspects though, especially seeing that I've been playing a lot of open world survival games lately.

Bloodborne doesn't perform too bad nowadays, I think the experience speaks for itself either way. I'm not a fan of hard games or upping difficulty if I don't get anything in return, I don't play games to gimp myself, but Bloodborne was different for me because of the setting, the lore, and the fast paced nature... and I'm still deep in the lore trying to figure out its biggest mysteries 5 years later.

Animal Crossing is basically just a grind fest now, taking some of the worst aspects of Games as a Service and making them game mechanics. Grinding for the sake of grinding is never fun.

Zelda BOTW: No incredible music the series is known for, very few actual dungeons, weapons breaking every nano second is never fun, if I wanted to play a survival game I'd play a survival game. Get those mechanics the fuck out of Zelda.
Still more fun and overall better than any other game on this list, and you got to give Nintendo credit for that.

If you don't understand its survival mechanics then you don't understand the game and what it's about. Not your fault, but I haven't played a game like BOTW. Ocarina is my favorite game of all time and it has it's own fair share of flaws, like its linearity but like in BOTW, the story and combat makes up for it for me.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Easy for me.

Bloodborne.

I guess I just don't get it.

Terrible game, yucky controls, performance effects gameplay massively, i.e bad framepacing and framedrops, uninteresting. Looks like a massive jaggy ass on my 55 inch screen.

I really think people who gave the game 10s were only scared of being called out by a rabid cult following of being pussies and "git gud" bollocks.

Banned
A 4/10 for RDR2? Come on man lol. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my play through so far but I could definitely see how some wouldn’t like it.

I strictly distinguish between "I like a game" and "a game is good"

in the case of RDR2 I both hate the game and think it is a disaster in gamedesign and controls. but there are games that I think are pretty bad but I still like them, like Crackdown 3 for example... that's like a 6/10 game, and only on PC on Mouse and Keyboard at 60PFS+! with the way worse controls, the weird button mapping that you can't really change and the performance on Xbox One I would turn that into a 5/10 or 4/10 for sure... yet it's one of my favorite games this gen.
I see its flaws but the things that are fun about it overshadow the flaws of it for me, or more like the flaws that it has are not an issue for me. which is why I can both say it is not very good AND it is one of my favorite games this gen.

so don't think that I say one can't enjoy the game or love it even... but giving the game an as objective as possible rating I would say would result in a pretty low rating.
•It is an open world game where missions are extremely linear in design, have no space for improvisation and give you a game over at the very second you go out of the invisible mission barrier.
•The controls including the aiming is basically the worst I've ever witnessed in any AAA game ever. not only does it feel laggy due to the overreliance on an animation AI to have realistic animations at the cost of responsiveness, the game also has inherent input latency that is most likely the result of a buffer of at least 4 frames that is set in place to keep the framerate steady on console.
•The pacing is ridiculously slow and tedious, where you ride on horseback so often and for such prolonged periods of time that I would actually rather just see a black loading screen instead, take a shit and come back 5min later.
•The story is also not really engaging at all

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Lol, the top voted picks could each easily be considered for GotG. Last gen had many more fake idols like FFXIII which had perfect scores but was less than lackluster.

I bet somebody is going to kill me for this, but having beaten most of the games in the list, my pick is Celeste. It was praised like some sort of savior of the indie genre, but I found it a really bland 2D platformer with lazy pixelart graphics and a weird ass difficulty curve. Granted, it had some clever mechanics and pretty bitchin' music, but the setting and the "ooo! mysterious!" story were so forgettable that I couldn't manage to muster enough interest to actually finish it.

Last edited:

Banned
Lol, the top voted picks could each easily be considered for GotG. Last gen had many more fake idols like FFXIII which had perfect scores but was less than lackluster.

nowadays I think that everyone agrees tho that FFXIII is an absolute disaster of a game lol

Most of these games have a somewhat competent gameplay.

Persona 5 is pretty terrible at every aspect of gaming. Great music and an awesome cast of characters but almost everything else is average to really bad.

BOTW having by far the best open-world mechanics still hurts Playstation bros at night.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
nowadays I think that everyone agrees tho that FFXIII is an absolute disaster of a game lol
I should look for this thread from last gen then. Wonder what golden cow stinkers are on it?

Demon's souls
FFXIII
Halo 4
Killzone 3
GTA IV

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Between RDR and Breath of the Wild. Both are fine but both have glaring issues that for are whatever reason over looked by many. But I think RDR2 is the worse offender.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Animal Crossing, definitely.

Click all the things!

Do it over and over again!

Collect piecemeal reward!

Move pre-made twee furnishings and such about on an invisible grid!

*Sleep IRL, eager to see the fruits of your labour*

Wake up and collect menial, piecemeal reward!

Click all the things!

Really?
Animal crossing is the Oficial game of Coronavirus pandemic... So this game save this year.

Top Bottom