• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most overrated game of the Generation

The most overrated game of the Generation

• The Witcher 3

Votes: 64 7.1%
  • Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 26 2.9%
  • God of War

Votes: 41 4.6%
  • Red Dead Redemption 2

Votes: 105 11.7%
  • Resident Evil 2

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Zela: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 135 15.1%
  • Hollow Knight

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 228 25.4%
  • Uncharted 4

Votes: 43 4.8%
  • Bloodborne

Votes: 29 3.2%
  • Overwatch

Votes: 39 4.4%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 33 3.7%
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Celeste

Votes: 16 1.8%
  • Monster Hunter: World

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Persona 5

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Inside

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 47 5.2%
  • Undertale

Votes: 18 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Also, you missed Forza Horizon 4, 92 mc score.

And nope.... It's also not overrated.

It's the worst of the franchise.

Paltheos

Voted Mario Odyssey. The game's just not very good. A ton of polish on the presentation but it's mostly tedious and repetitive.

Surprised at Zelda being #1 in the poll. It's one of the few games listed that I think lives up to the hype. The game definitely has real problems (garbage dungeons and often mediocre shrines) but the the open world is actually unparalleled and has ruined other games for me lol. ... Like, I think it's a little worse than the praise heaped on it, but just by a single point. It's a 9/10 vs. Mario Odyssey which I'd give a ... 4? 5? as opposed to the 9s and 10s thrown in its direction.

PresetError

Neophyte
I don't think Zelda Breath of the Wild is an overrated game but i'm sure fed up of so much people treating it like it invented cartoony colorful aesthetic and open world games in general. Zelda BOTW is getting at Dark Souls level of having an annoying perpetual presence in all gaming conversations. The everything "is the darksouls of x" has become everything "reminds me of Zelda Breath of the Wild".

I voted for Animal Crossing, by the way. I love the game but currently has a status way over its league.

Last edited:
I've only played witcher 3 and mgs 5 and disliked them both but my biggest disappointment due to the massive amount of praise was yakuza. I've read for years about how amazing the series is so when it had a day one release on gamepass i was pretty excited to play it. What a let down.

bender

What time is it?
  • The Witcher 3 - Passable content and an lead-you-by-your-nose open world design.
  • Super Mario Odyssey - It's a really good game but I greatly prefer the design of the Odyssey games.
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - R*'s open world design philosophies, outdated quests designs and clunk mechanics have finally run their course for me.
  • The Last of Us 2 - Doesn't do enough to bring the series outdated mechanics up to snuff. Way too damned long and features a story and cast of characters which mostly don't land.
  • Uncharted 4 - Terrible pacing and I'm long past being exhausted by the series bombast.
  • Celeste - It's fine but I don't get the rampant affection for the game. Maybe getting 100% in Super Meat Boy broke my will for masochistic platform games.
  • Inside - Like Limbo, it is more style than substance.
Witcher 3 gets my vote but I'd be fine with either ND game or RDR.

SinDelta

While Breath of the Wild is in many ways absolutely amazing and one of the best games I've ever played, its actually a downgrade in several aspects from previous Zelda games. Yes Nintendo remade the formula, they also removed some of the best parts of previous Zelda games. Its a wonderful sandbox of potential that will hopefully be filled by BotW 2.
  • Themed Dungeons. Forest, Water, Fire, Shadow, Spirit, ect. Contrast with the variety found in Ocarina and Twilight Princess.
  • Gear progression and upgrading. Contrast with Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time.
  • Ubisoft Open World like bloat with towers, the Korok Seeds and Shrines, To Nintendo's credit they actually made the towers puzzles and the shrines varied, but bloat is still bloat.
  • MMO like sidequests. There were some decent side quests but there needed to be more. Compare to Majoras Mask.
  • Lack of an instrument - Actually forms a core identity in a couple of Zelda games like Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. Instruments can range in power from doing nifty stuff like controlling the weather to reversing time.
  • Lack of magic gauge and spells - Only obtainable from certain enemies. Contrast to Ocarina of Time or even Link to the Past.
  • Lack of certain elite enemies like redead, iron knuckles and darknuts
  • Big bad being more than a big bad - Ganon's final form literally just pretty much sits there.
  • The series has skirted with this idea. Ganondorf in Wind Waker for example. Nintendo actually got it right with
    Hilda
    in Link Between Worlds, which I think actually has the best plotline of the entire series.
For gear, I think it would be better like so-
  • Poor quality gear will break.
  • Average quality gear can be repaired at a blacksmith, and also upgraded.
  • Elite gear is far more durable and can have far more effects, ect. For Rare tier gear you start getting side quests and plotlines leading to these items.
  • Mythic gear, ie the fully powered Master Sword, megaton hammer, gale boomerang, golden gauntlets, pegasus/hover/iron boots, heroes bow, do not "break" and are extremely powerful. Covered by main storylines, ect. It would also be awesome to see Ghost of Tushima like mythic quest lines to obtain items like these in Botw 2. Yes, the search for the Master Sword is always one of the best parts of Zelda, and in BotW its still one of the best questlines.

Last edited:

SinDelta

Most overrated: zelda botw
Others worth mentionning: mario odyssey, smash, metal gear, monster hunter, persona 5 and animal crossing.

Oof
From what I've seen Smash Brothers Ultimate looks amazing.

...I've heard the story "mode" is not a match for Subspace Emissary?
Is it the paid online?
The DLC and season passes?

Aside from these issues it likes like everything one could want from a Smash Brothers game.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
Easy for me.

Bloodborne.

I guess I just don't get it.

Terrible game, yucky controls, performance effects gameplay massively, i.e bad framepacing and framedrops, uninteresting. Looks like a massive jaggy ass on my 55 inch screen.

I really think people who gave the game 10s were only scared of being called out by a rabid cult following of being pussies and "git gud" bollocks.

RPHFQc7.png

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
All the people who voted God of War need to be perma banned.

I voted for RDRII, couldn't wait to finish it and never could play it again without getting bored or getting frustrated.

This thread will be full of people with different tastes and no objectivity. Also, most of the games listed are very good.
Let's be thankful these games are doing well commercially and critically. Otherwise, we will be playing fortnite, pubg and Halo for the rest of our lives.

Zero7

HZD. I dunno it just didn't click with me. I put a couple of hrs into it and just dropped it.

MGSV. Just a total unfinished mess of a game. A shitty end to one of my all time fave game series

BOTW has some pretty big things that bring it down, now that you mention it the dungeons really aren't great. I love the survival aspects though, especially seeing that I've been playing a lot of open world survival games lately.

Bloodborne doesn't perform too bad nowadays, I think the experience speaks for itself either way. I'm not a fan of hard games or upping difficulty if I don't get anything in return, I don't play games to gimp myself, but Bloodborne was different for me because of the setting, the lore, and the fast paced nature... and I'm still deep in the lore trying to figure out its biggest mysteries 5 years later.

Still more fun and overall better than any other game on this list, and you got to give Nintendo credit for that.

If you don't understand its survival mechanics then you don't understand the game and what it's about. Not your fault, but I haven't played a game like BOTW. Ocarina is my favorite game of all time and it has it's own fair share of flaws, like its linearity but like in BOTW, the story and combat makes up for it for me.

Of course I understand what it's about, Nintendo wanted to make a fresh take on the series, Skyrim meets Zelda. Which on paper works, but Nintendo went completely over board with its survival mechanics to the point that it just ended up because tedious to play.

I can understand a game and it's creative direction and still think it's a terrible design choice. Life isn't that black or white.

Also there's other games on the list that absolutely are better than BOTW. By a huge mile.

God of Wars story telling, combat, score and basically every mechanic it offers is far better and far more fun than what BOTW offers.

Also Bloodborne is masterful. It's many people's game of the generation for a reason. BOTW isn't good enough to be mentioned in the same sentence as Bloodborne tbfh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom