• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2's graphics (no spoilers)

VFXVeteran

Banned
Nothing looks next gen about this

These guys are itching for anything to be shown so they can call it 'next-gen' looking because they refuse to accept that next-gen has already been shown on PC games @ MAX settings in the last 2-3 years. Once the PS5/XSX games start to pour in, I will make sure to point out comparable graphics tech. The similarities will be shocking for some.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
these are not gameplay screenshots though. This is a cutscene.

Are we talking about the same video?

that video was very blurry and low res. It wasn’t crisp or sharp. I don’t get why this would blow your mind? It’s way too blurry.
I think it looked good, but that’s it.
do you maybe have a high res GAMEPLAY Screenshot? Not a bullshot. Not cutscene or anything like that. A true ingame gameplay screenshot?

maybe post it in the spoiler thread. Would love to see that, but based on the blurry videos, I’m not impressed at all.
The video is low resolution, lower than the game's resolution will be but you can clearly see the lighting, character models, foliage density, etc and it looks amazing

Hobbygaming

These guys are itching for anything to be shown so they can call it 'next-gen' looking because they refuse to accept that next-gen has already been shown on PC games @ MAX settings in the last 2-3 years. Once the PS5/XSX games start to pour in, I will make sure to point out comparable graphics tech. The similarities will be shocking for some.
Lol every generation we get games that look better than what's on PC like this generation it was Uncharted 4, Spider-man, Days Gone, The Order 1886, Until Dawn, Infamous Second Son, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Killzone SF, Driveclub

Upcoming: TLOU Pt 2, Ghost of Tsushima

Next generation will be no different

Last edited:
These guys are itching for anything to be shown so they can call it 'next-gen' looking because they refuse to accept that next-gen has already been shown on PC games @ MAX settings in the last 2-3 years.

I will take this as a joke post.

Only ''max settings'' for current gen games, is true for a few pc players, but again, 99% of multi platforms are a level below from exclusives by default. This is not cause of ''art'' or ''magic'', It is just because they make them for a close/fixed platform.

PC is the ''frame rate king'' though, and it has of course many amazing current gen looking games.
The only game that could be considered next gen already is Star Citizen, but it's not out yet. It is a PC game, though. I give you that.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Lol every generation we get games that look better than what's on PC like this generation it was Uncharted 4, Spider-man, Days Gone, The Order 1886, Until Dawn, Infamous Second Son, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted Lost Legacy, Killzone SF, Driveclub

Upcoming: TLOU Pt 2, Ghost of Tsushima

Next generation will be no different

That's always the problem with any meaningful conversation with you guys. Because you judge 'better' graphics to be better art direction, it's a purely subjective take and could never be a conversation to have. You guys will still think PS4 games look better than PC/Xbox/Nintendo/Stadia/etc.. etc.. games no matter what generation we are in. That's what's ridiculous. But moving on...

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

That's always the problem with any meaningful conversation with you guys. Because you judge 'better' graphics to be better art direction, it's a purely subjective take and could never be a conversation to have. You guys will still think PS4 games look better than PC/Xbox/Nintendo/Stadia/etc.. etc.. games no matter what generation we are in. That's what's ridiculous. But moving on...
Well art direction ties into the overall graphics package IMO and Sony tend to have the best looking exclusives. I'd take better art direction over 8K resolution anyday

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

What? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

This is not true. People say this because of how devs are setting a new bar when it comes to graphics on consoles. People use this term all the time, but that doesn't mean they're "itching for anything to be shown so that they can call it next gen".

CPUs are very much underutilized in just about every single game on PC because most games are designed to run on a console.

We're going to see true next gen games once devs start taking advantage of the CPU and SSD and we still haven't gotten there just yet.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Well art direction ties into the overall graphics package IMO and Sony tend to have the best looking exclusives. I'd take better art direction over 8K resolution anyday

Yeah tht plays a part buttttt their are still objective metrics when judging graphics. Particle effects, asset fidelity, attention to detail, etc are a big part of it and when you look at games like Uncharted 4, Horizon, God of War, those games have tht in spades. Uncharted 4 mud deformation was dope to see amongst many other things it still holds the crown for.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah tht plays a part buttttt their are still objective metrics when judging graphics. Particle effects, asset fidelity, attention to detail, etc are a big part of it and when you look at ganes like Uncharted 4, Horizon, God of War, those games have tht in spades. Uncharted 4 mud deformation was dope to see amongst many other things it still holds the crown for.
Mud deformation is better in rdr2 tho.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Having watched all the leaked footage, the intro contains footage of a similar scope to that shown in the trailers for GoT, and frankly it looks every bit as good.

Probably going to end up being the best looking PS4 title all things considered.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Mud deformation is better in rdr2 tho.

It may be at this point. I have RDR2 but dropped it after two hour in bcus imo it was boring and felt like I was walking in molasses. I know when uncharted 4 dropped years ago BTW it was king in tht. Games coming out years later and superceding tht isn't impressive to me as we have to take dev time into account, budget, manpower etc.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

That's fine but realize nothing can come out from that argument since it's subjective.

Did we see the same footage? It looked OK, nothing ground breaking, especially for a game that is in development for 7 years and even with a HUGE team and a lot of budget.

I honestly think that the forest in A Plague Tale looked much better:

A-Plague-Tale-Innocence-13.png

88425844-70b1-4489-b262-5744cedcaf1f.jpg

A-Plague-Tale-Innocence-17.png

and this is from a small indie dev.

yeah especially on one X with 4K native res. Looks so sharp and crisp. Especially the sky, looks like real life. its crazy

such a good game. couldnt stop playing it.

VFXVeteran

Banned
What? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

This is not true. People say this because of how devs are setting a new bar when it comes to graphics on consoles. People use this term all the time, but that doesn't mean they're "itching for anything to be shown so that they can call it next gen".

CPUs are very much underutilized in just about every single game on PC because most games are designed to run on a console.

And being a developer - that's not true.

There isn't a single technical thing in modern graphics today that's not implemented it's best on the PC.

We're going to see true next gen games once devs start taking advantage of the CPU and SSD and we still haven't gotten there just yet.

You don't know what you are saying. The consoles are still way underpowered and fillrate can be eaten up significantly just by introducing higher resolutions. You'll still see image reconstruction techniques because bandwidth limitations are still a thing with consoles (and high-end GPUs tbh).

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And being a developer - that's not true.

There isn't a single technical thing in modern graphics today that's not implemented it's best on the PC.

Not being implemented isn't the same thing as being underutilized. CPU requirements for majority of console ports do have have high requirements.

Digital Foundry makes this point at the 3:00 mark

But it's still a CPU of the same generation and the same fundamental Limits are in place. Now for the next generation we're going to need more otherwise effectively we're going to be looking at similar games again with the same limitations. Perhaps better thanks to more memory, but still with the same ceiling on simulation complexity , but thankfully Microsoft and Sony do have something better available.

If you think devs won't have more CPU power available in comparison to next gen, then I do't know what to tell you. It's clear devs are designing their games with limitations because the game needs to run on current gen consoles.

You don't know what you are saying. The consoles are still way underpowered and fillrate can be eaten up significantly just by introducing higher resolutions. You'll still see image reconstruction techniques because bandwidth limitations are still a thing with consoles (and high-end GPUs tbh).

Let me get this straight. Do you think more games are going to require SSDs in the future? SSDs are going to change how games are designed in general.

I'll use the movie Jumper as an example.

They're teleporting instantly from one location to another. What if Sony wanted to make a game like this? They're very likely going to require you to have an SSD. Having a good amount of storage speeds is going to be required in the future.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Not being implemented isn't the same thing as being underutilized. CPU requirements for majority of console ports do have have high requirements.

CPU limitations last gen played somewhat of a role in performance, but more so it was and always will be bandwidth constraints (i.e. 1.8TFLOPS or 10TFLOPS or 12TFLOPS, etc..). Once you start adding more pixels to the screen and more data, the GPU quickly becomes the bottleneck. The PC CPU was always being underutilized because most of the computations for a game is dependent on the GPU. Have you ever coded up your own game engine? Or even programmed in UE4 or Unity? You'll see what I mean. Unless you are doing extremely CPU-bound computations like actually modeling real-world phenomena like aerodynamics or fluid/flight simulation, you are going to be spending most of your time on the GPU in any given frame. These games out now are very simple CPU wise compared to what's going on in the GPU. Moving data from one place to another will be a factor for sure, but trying to transfer large data sets directly from SSD is going to be too slow. Better to grab the data from VRAM (which has N-factor more bandwidth than an SSD). Then once it's in memory, you gotta wait on the low powered TFLOPS of the GPU to render the pixels to the screen. Trust me, every game for next-gen consoles won't be running in native 4k like the PC if they are wanting to increase large dataset sizes like textures and normal maps. Add ray-tracing on top of that and your 4k will quickly become the bottleneck.

If you think devs won't have more CPU power available in comparison to next gen, then I do't know what to tell you. It's clear devs are designing their games with limitations because the game needs to run on current gen consoles.

That's not the point. The point is what are you going to enhance and at what FPS @ what resolution. It's like saying your 'vehicle' will go from point A to point B "really fast" without giving the details of mass, acceleration, terrain, gearing, overall volume, what type of vehicle, fly or drive or swim, average speed, etc..

Let me get this straight. Do you think more games are going to require SSDs in the future? SSDs are going to change how games are designed in general.

The SSD is overhyped. I don't want to even go into that ridiculous discussion.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
They're teleporting instantly from one location to another. What if Sony wanted to make a game like this? They're very likely going to require you to have an SSD. Having a good amount of storage speeds is going to be required in the future.

Titanfall 2 already did it, on a laptop 5400rpm HDD... People are really giving the SSD too much faith, if you want to instantly switch location/realm you have a mere 16ms between that next frame, and how much data can be streamed, at even the peak theoretical 22HB/s, within 16ms? 352MB, whole nothing.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
CPU limitations last gen played somewhat of a role in performance, but more so it was and always will be bandwidth constraints (i.e. 1.8TFLOPS or 10TFLOPS or 12TFLOPS, etc..). Once you start adding more pixels to the screen and more data, the GPU quickly becomes the bottleneck. The PC CPU was always being underutilized because most of the computations for a game is dependent on the GPU. Have you ever coded up your own game engine? Or even programmed in UE4 or Unity? You'll see what I mean. Unless you are doing extremely CPU-bound computations like actually modeling real-world phenomena like aerodynamics or fluid/flight simulation, you are going to be spending most of your time on the GPU in any given frame. These games out now are very simple CPU wise compared to what's going on in the GPU. Moving data from one place to another will be a factor for sure, but trying to transfer large data sets directly from SSD is going to be too slow. Better to grab the data from VRAM (which has N-factor more bandwidth than an SSD). Then once it's in memory, you gotta wait on the low powered TFLOPS of the GPU to render the pixels to the screen. Trust me, every game for next-gen consoles won't be running in native 4k like the PC if they are wanting to increase large dataset sizes like textures and normal maps. Add ray-tracing on top of that and your 4k will quickly become the bottleneck.

You're basically proving my point.

That's not the point. The point is what are you going to enhance and at what FPS @ what resolution. It's like saying your 'vehicle' will go from point A to point B "really fast" without giving the details of mass, acceleration, terrain, gearing, overall volume, what type of vehicle, fly or drive or swim, average speed, etc..

I'm making a point. So unless you're trying to tell me something that has nothing to do with it, then I don't know what to tell you.

If you're trying to tell me that devs cannot do more with more CPU power in their hands then I think you're being completely dishonest. We have enough evidence to suggest otherwise.

The SSD is overhyped. I don't want to even go into that ridiculous discussion.

Devs wanted it in both consoles for no reason. Yeah, I'll believe that. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Titanfall 2 already did it, on a laptop 5400rpm HDD... People are really giving the SSD too much faith, if you want to instantly switch location/realm you have a mere 16ms between that next frame, and how much data can be streamed, at even the peak theoretical 22HB/s, within 16ms? 352MB, whole nothing.
So you're saying games next gen don't need an SSD?

Dude, come on. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

1440P 30 fps you can really increase graphics with these settings. If they were doing 60 fps or trying to hit 4k it wouldn't look that good

sendit

Agreed. Next gen will get no better than Crackdown 3 cranked to max settings on PC.

on consoles ? Hardly.

RDR2 looks like shit with Vaseline on PS4 and PS4 Pro.
Uh wat

Name one game, because it's certainly not a multiplat. Ultra settings is a marketing gimmick nowadays and High doesn't look much better than consoles.

Depening on the port.

Anti-aliasing and ray tracing are two things that I can see as having any significant difference from consoles so that I agree with.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Name one game, because it's certainly not a multiplat. Ultra settings is a marketing gimmick nowadays and High doesn't look much better than consoles.

Are you talking about actual 3D features that are better and eat up bandwidth? Or are you talking about what "looks" better to your eyes?

Top Bottom