• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2's graphics (no spoilers)

ZywyPL

Banned
giphy.gif

Seriously...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I wish we knew what, if any, enhancements will be on ps5, I'd like to sell my ps4 pro now for good money and just play it on ps4, but it will be a bit of a sacrifice waiting. Which will be totally worth it if end up with more cash and an enhanced version of the game this fall.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Environment are not really better looking than game like rdr2 or days gone or forza horizon 4.

The most noticeable things are polygonal models, faces and digital acting , animation and care for details especially the gore.

Tamy

Banned
Did we see the same footage? It looked OK, nothing ground breaking, especially for a game that is in development for 7 years and even with a HUGE team and a lot of budget.

I honestly think that the forest in A Plague Tale looked much better:

A-Plague-Tale-Innocence-13.png

88425844-70b1-4489-b262-5744cedcaf1f.jpg

A-Plague-Tale-Innocence-17.png

and this is from a small indie dev.

Nah, rdr2 still king

yeah especially on one X with 4K native res. Looks so sharp and crisp. Especially the sky, looks like real life. its crazy

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
Yeah that forest gameplay, that had BY FAR the best looking graphics I have ever seen in any game to date, it is unbelievable the sheer amounts of vegetation, the quality of them, the lighting, the tree textures if you can notice them, everything about it looked like something that the PS4 can't run, but it's Naughty Dog we all know how they are when it comes to graphics.

Those graphics were top-tier best graphics ever! Also that forest OOZES atmosphere, I just wanna play the game, it will be a masterpiece!

Shmunter

Yeah that forest gameplay, that had BY FAR the best looking graphics I have ever seen in any game to date, it is unbelievable the sheer amounts of vegetation, the quality of them, the lighting, the tree textures if you can notice them, everything about it looked like something that the PS4 can't run, but it's Naughty Dog we all know how they are when it comes to graphics.

Those graphics were top-tier best graphics ever! Also that forest OOZES atmosphere, I just wanna play the game, it will be a masterpiece!
Fukn link or be forever known as blue ball gamer

ZehDon

The facial animations are impressive, but frankly, there’s nothing here that even remotely makes me wonder how they pulled it off. It’s a small step up from Uncharted 4, but it’s nothing like the gap from Uncharted 1 to the original The Last of Us on PS3.
RDR2 is still the most technologically graphically impressive game I’ve ever seen. This doesn’t touch it. TLOU2 is a good looking game, no question, but ND clearly focused their efforts on real-time rendering their performance mo-cap sessions. It’s their most impressive work - but, everything else, from the lighting to the vegetation, is about par. If this shipped before RDR2, or even FFVIIR, I’d be more impressed.

I have the video of the forest and can trim it to only this portion - so there is no dialogue, I can PM it to you, if you like - but don't report me then.

Yes please.
You don't even need to trim anything unless you really want to do it for others.
I actually am not super sensitive about the spoilers from this video. It's not like the ending or anything. :p
Thank you.

sendit

The facial animations are impressive, but frankly, there’s nothing here that even remotely makes me wonder how they pulled it off. It’s a small step up from Uncharted 4, but it’s nothing like the gap from Uncharted 1 to the original The Last of Us on PS3.
RDR2 is still the most technologically graphically impressive game I’ve ever seen. This doesn’t touch it. TLOU2 is a good looking game, no question, but ND clearly focused their efforts on real-time rendering their performance mo-cap sessions. It’s their most impressive work - but, everything else, from the lighting to the vegetation, is about par. If this shipped before RDR2, or even FFVIIR, I’d be more impressed.

FF7R's graphics did not impress me (played on a Pro). I haven't seen TLOU2 leaked footage yet, and if what you're saying is true. I will be highly disappointed.

GymWolf

Gold Member
ff7remake (played on ps4 pro) is sensibly worse than both rdr2 and tlou2, cmon.
that game has the most uneven graphic ever, you have ps2 era textures IN YOUR FACE everywhere except maybe for the first chapter or the shinra headquarters, even the wall market or the church or aerith's house (3 of the best locations) are afflicted by low res textures and characters lose a lot of details when not in cutscene especially faces, a fucking open world game like days gone or horizon have better ingame models for the chara.

i was really unimpressed by ff7 remake overall to be honest, some good character, some good particles fx during combat and a couple of nice looking locations are not enough to stand close to rdr2 and probably tlou2 too.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

It may look great but man, I'm not liking what I've heard about the story.

I didn't want to get spoiled but that shit was all over Twitter and for anyone here not wanting to get spoiled, trust me, it's bad.

If I play the game at all it will be only for the eye candy, I'm basically going to ignore the story as much as possible.

Trust me, it's bad.
Without spoiling anything, does it have anything at all to do with the leaked 4chan story? Any similarity at all? Put yes or no it in spoiler tags. Please don't talk about details as I haven't read the 4chan story either I just know it was woke as heck.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Consoles are now closed-spec PCs, and games are (mostly) build on already well known, multi-platform, scaleable engines, so we won't see as dramatic progression from launch titles to end-of-life games anymore. The PS5/XBX gameplay reveals we will see within next few months will show what's coming for the next 7-8 years, not much will change during those years.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm not expecting anything significantly more improved than Uncharted 4, and if that's the case RDR2 is just jaw dropping and takes the crown. Making large expanses of flat, wild grass and heavy forested area's look that realistic and believable is superb.

CrysisFreak

Banned
TLOU2 on release without compression artefacts from shitty leaks will probably be the best looking PS4 game by far.
Unlike RDR2 they can bake their lighting and they sure will, so RDR2 will not compete I think. Also image quality will be superior with a properly implemented checkerboard upscaling method.
In terms of mocap and facial animations it will curbstomp literally any other game (maybe except Detroit Become Human).
And other animations will also set a new standard as they are on a completely different level as we have just seen.
The game will absolutely melt eyeballs, they literally took Uncharted 4 and improved on it significantly.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
King of? Bcus we know games like GOW, Horizon, etc take the exclusive graphical crown. You can keep tht slog fest RDR2 tht bored the shit out of me after an hour 😂😂
not talking gameplay are we, I agree the game was boring but there is no denying its a stunning game to look at

Top Bottom