• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered is 79GB

Draugoth

Gold Member

0b68ebf352db559cb45a75bd32fed3381f34dc52c5480192.png

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered file size​

In terms of file size, The Last of Us 2 Remastered is a massive game. On PlayStation 5, the remastered version has a file size of 79 GB, putting it in the same area as Alan Wake 2 and God of War Ragnarok in terms of storage requirements. Therefore, you must ensure that there is enough space on the console’s SSD before installing the game.

While the upcoming remaster is a few GB smaller than the original PS4 version, its file size is still quite large due to the PS5’s decompression capabilities, especially for a current remaster. Luckily, you can preload the game approximately 48 hours before its official release.
Please note that preloading is not available for players who upgrade from the PS4 version to the PS5 remaster.

“The Last of Us 2 Remastered” graphics mode​

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered shares a similar graphics mode configuration with Naughty Dog’s previous PS5 releases, namely The Last of Us Part 1 and Uncharted: A Thief’s Legacy Collection, although there is no Uncharted 》120Hz mode in the remastered version. There are essentially two modes: 30fps fidelity mode and 60fps performance mode.

Here are the details on the two graphics modes available in The Last of Us Part 2 PS5 Remastered:
  • Fidelity mode: 4K (locked with v-sync) 30 fps.
  • Performance mode: 1440 at 60fps (upgraded with v-sync).
Additionally, the game features support for variable refresh rate (VRR) for 120Hz or more capable displays. With VRR engaged, you can expect a targeted 40fps in Fidelity mode and an unlocked framerate, hovering within 60-80fps at 1440p with upscaling enabled.

Source

King Dazzar

It reads to me as though its the same as Pt 1 remake. Lets hope the VRR fidelity unlocked is a bit higher than the pt1 remake as its too low and inconsistent for me on pt1. For now if the frame rates are like Pt 1 remake, then performance unlocked is where I'll be with it. But if its a better frame rate like Uncharted, then fidelity unlocked will be how I roll. Its a shame the 1440p performance mode isnt a dynamic resolution, because unlocked it usually sits around 70 to 80fps.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Problem with the system VRR implementation I'd wager.
Some few games have unlocked modes if you run ps5 with VRR, like uncharted 4 is 44fps... and 60 when you look at the sky.
Obviously I prefer to disable vrr for those games and just leave 120hz, so I can have stable 40fps.
But if that's vsynced, then it would add lag.... unless ps5 does triple buffering. no idea

midnightAI

Not being funny but after all the discussion about compression blocks and the other stuff in the next gen thread, space management has been really poor this generation from all developers.
Well without knowing the uncompressed size I think it's a little harsh to say that for some games. This one for example has a whole new game mode, higher resolution textures, higher poly models, probably improved audio and other stuff and comes in smaller than the PS4 version

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Has PlayStation / Naughty Dog detailed any information on the graphical modes? How is this website coming up with this otherwise when the game hasn't launched?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I think Ps5 can run both games at 4k 60 fps. They just choose not to optimize it.
TLOU Part I runs at 30-40fps on PS5. It can even dip below 30 in extreme cases. You seriously think they left half the performance on the table?

That would be the most piece of shit performing remake in history.

People seriously underestimate how heavy 4K is.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

I can’t find* the GByte specifics on how much motion-matching data TLoU P2 PS4 retained but increased ‘animation sampling rate’ is a stated enhancement for the PS5 version. For the PS4 60fps boost on PS5 they probably just interpolated the in-between frames without any additional reference animation resolution.

I can’t open this PowerPoint at the moment.

King Dazzar

TLOU Part I runs at 30-40fps on PS5. It can even dip below 30 in extreme cases. You seriously think they left half the performance on the table?

Yeah, but in fairness there is a fair amount of headroom in the 1440p performance mode. Its great they allow it to be unlocked with VRR, but I'd rather have it a locked 60fps and an actual dynamic resolution. Will be interesting to see if this runs better than the Pt1 remake. Uncharted does.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Didn't they actually take out that 40hz mode from TLoU Part 1 after release because how poor it was at getting close to a locked 40hz?

I don't know if they have since reinstated it.

Last edited:

Ghost of Tsushima director's cut is 4k 60fps. Tlou p1 is a remake game with better models, better texture, better lighting.
This is remastered game just like Ghost of Tsushima.

Last edited:

Stooky

Ghost of Tsushima director's cut is 4k 60fps. Tlou p1 is a remake game with better models, better texture, better lighting.
This is just remastered game like Ghost of Tsushima.
not really the same as GOT. Tlou 2 remaster should look on par with tlou 1 ps5 remake.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This is remastered game just like Ghost of Tsushima.
I'm assuming they'll bring it up to par with TLOU Part I which doesn't look much better than TLOU Part II aside from the very obvious improvements. I would think it would be at least as demanding if not more, especially considering that Part II has much larger environments and more going on at once.

If it's just a slight upgrade over the PS4 version, then 4K60 is possible. If they raise it to the level of Part I, then I think we'll get similar or perhaps lower performance.

Last edited:

Stooky

I do want it could looks like tlou p1 remake. But based on the trailer, it still looks like the same as p2 on ps4.
I think the compressed video hides alot of detail. both tlou remake and tlou 2 remaster games visually should be the same. that was the one of the goals of tlou remake to it on par with tlou 2 but with ps5 abilities. tlou 2 ps4 was made with all the hi rez model texture work, just compiled to run ps4.
ps5 version probably gets hi rez texture maps, reduced mipmap, un compressed animations etc.

I think the compressed video hides alot of detail. both tlou remake and tlou 2 remaster games visually should be the same. that was the one of the goals of tlou remake to it on par with tlou 2 but with ps5 abilities. tlou 2 ps4 was made with all the hi rez model texture work, just compiled to run ps4.
ps5 version probably gets hi rez texture maps, reduced mipmap, un compressed animations etc.
Well it's just couple of days to find out. I still buy it anyway. Just want it to be the best way to experience this again.

Last edited:

skneogaf

So do I install a patch for the original version or do I delete the original and download a new full game?

I imagine it's the latter.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It has that 40hz mode with unlocked framerate

It has an unlocked frame rate option, but they axed the 40hz lock on the Fidelity mode.

This is version 1.0 at launch (via DF):

fAqT67E.png

This is 1.03 (via my own copy just now), this is on a 4K/120hz display.

7SrHZ94.png

Not that the Fidelty mode unlocked hits anywhere near 40, it's almost always hovering around low to mid 30 most of the time anyway.

Note that they also fixed the wording in the Performance mode between patches, originally it misled people into thinking that Performance mode might be dynamic 4K, but in truth it was locked 1440p without any scaling.

Last edited:
It has an unlocked frame rate option, but they axed the 40hz lock on the Fidelity mode.

This is version 1.0 at launch (via DF):

fAqT67E.png

This is 1.03 (via my own copy just now), this is on a 4K/120hz display.

7SrHZ94.png

Not that the Fidelty mode unlocked hits anywhere near 40, it's almost always hovering around low to mid 30 most of the time anyway.

Note that they also fixed the wording in the Performance mode between patches, originally it misled people into thinking that Performance mode might be dynamic 4K, but in truth it was locked 1440p without any scaling.
It is the same thing, if You have 120hz enabled the tv runs at 120hz and Game runs at 30+ framerate, just like spiderman, that's what most other games do in 40fps mode. In My case it runs much better than locked 30, don't know if it doesn't hit 40 but it is smooth on My side.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

It is the same thing, if You have 120hz enabled the tv runs at 120hz and Game runs at 30+ framerate, just like spiderman, that's what most other games do in 40fps mode. In My case it runs much better than locked 30, don't know if it doesn't hit 40 but it is smooth on My side.
Yeah I think it might look smoother than the locked 30fps due to the doubling of frames for the LFC - not sure, but I know what you mean. But the frame rate is pretty unstable with variance from section to section regardless and its mainly low 30's.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Not being funny but after all the discussion about compression blocks and the other stuff in the next gen thread, space management has been really poor this generation from all developers.
Since the PS360, man

They kinda started well because the 360 was DVD, but not much later we saw more discs and installations on a console that wasn't thought with that

gamer82

So if you already own the digital version for ps4 you can't preorder ? , will the option just appear on launch day then ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom