• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered PS5 - DF Tech Review - A Worthy Upgrade?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

• Visual Changes
    • 1440p/60 in default performance mode, just like earlier patch
    • Foliage pop-in in remastered version has been significantly reduced
    • Foliage density/LOD for distant foliage has been increased
    • Shadows generally look the same as the original version
    • Struggled to spot any difference in texture quality compared to the original version
    • Anisotropic filtering is improved
    • Some manual lighting/shadow tweaks seem to have been applied on a scene-by-scene basics
    • A few random cutscenes have been tweaked and/or reframed
    • Biggest upgrade is still the ability to play at 60fps, which the earlier patch already provided
    • 4k/30 in fidelity mode
    • Fidelity mode image quality over performance mode not as big of an upgrade as you might expect
    • Fidelity mode does come with a certain clarity that performance mode lacks, however. Particularly fine details like blades of grass
    • Some ambient occlusion changes in fidelity mode, but AO is not preferable in one mode over the other
  • Performance
    • Performance mode stays at a close to locked 60fps in gameplay, with only a few occasional dropped frames
    • Fidelity mode is completely locked to 30fps in gameplay
    • Some frame pacing issues in cinematics
    • Fidelity mode unlocked w/ VRR off attempts to run at 40fps on 120hz displays, and keeps a fairly stable 40fps
    • If you enable unlocked w/ VRR ON, you can play both modes with truly unlocked framerates. With this preset, performance mode runs 75-100 fps on average, and fidelity mode runs around 40-60 fps
    • Load times have been reduced from 40-50 seconds down to 16-17 seconds typically
  • Additional options
    • FOV can now be adjusted, with a pretty decent spread between the lowest and highest values
    • Dualsense haptics and trigger feedback can be adjusted extensively

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
  • Struggled to spot any difference in texture quality compared to the original version

1474003611_image.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Lmao these dweebs use performance mode to show fidelity changes. You cant make this shit up lol.

Performance mode should only be shown for performance differences. Not visual ones. This guy in the vid talking about visual upgrades while showing the performance mode.

Again, did you even watch the video?

They used the Performance mode to compare with the PS4 version running on PS5, as those are both comparable 60 FPS modes.

Then there's a whole separate section comparing the Performance mode with the Fidelity mode.

After that there's a whole another section about both modes running with VRR.

Some of you guys have an irrational and unfounded hate-boner towards DF.

R3TRODYCE

A bit disappointing but eh it’s 9 bucks. I’ll buy it just to have but I’ll wait until it hits pc before I replay it.

Topher

Gold Member
In fairness, the Ragnorak roguelite mode was a free upgrade.

Fair point. I think if this were just a new mode or just visual improvements then it would be a harder sell for many, but the overall visual package plus "No Return" is worth a $10 upgrade, imo, considering they already provided the 60fps boost for free.

saintjules

A bit disappointing but eh it’s 9 bucks. I’ll buy it just to have but I’ll wait until it hits pc before I replay it.

It's good value for $10. I personally don't see much of a dissapointment.

I guess since I've been far removed from the second playthrough, most of this might feel like I'm playing it again for the first time.

In fairness, the Ragnorak roguelite mode was a free upgrade.

I think it's a smart move to charge the $10 as TLOU is a much more popular game. Make people pay $10 for the upgrade to capitalize on popularity.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Is it lazyness from the devs or PS5 is not powerful enough to have better visual upgrades ?
It's a remaster with a notable amount of upgrades, plus new modes. All for $10 if you already own it.

Not sure what other Remasters have done that's so much better.

Last edited:

GHG

Fair point. I think if this were just a new mode or just visual improvements then it would be a harder sell for many, but the overall visual package plus "No Return" is worth a $10 upgrade, imo, considering they already provided the 60fps boost for free.

Yeh personally $10 isn't worth complaining about, but then I don't have the same personal issues with the game that other people seem to have.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Again, did you even watch the video?

They used the Performance mode to compare with the PS4 version running on PS5, as those are both comparable 60 FPS modes.

Then there's a whole separate section comparing the Performance mode with the Fidelity mode.

After that there's a whole another section about both modes running with VRR.

Some of you guys have an irrational and unfounded hate-boner towards DF.
I do not hate DF.

If their excuse for using the performance mode for visual comparisons is "we are comparing 2 60fps modes" then make that explicitly clear. He shouldn't be going into detail on resolution, and downplaying it, while showing off the performance mode.

It should be Fidelity mode for resolution comparisons and performance mode for performance upgrades. Not mix and matching the 2

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Disappointing. Nobody needed that. Nobody. Even load times are not instant and it was already 60fps….

Well at least there is 4k40 and dualsense.
Is there 3d headphones audio/tempest?

Mortisfacio

Draw distance/pop in seems to be the only real improvement. Valhalla was a free release, but Naughty Dog is so creatively bankrupt they're charging for this.

Vick

This guy in the vid talking about visual upgrades while showing the performance mode.
But many of us only really care about Performance Mode.
And to me, this looks like a perfect "Remaster".

I'll always prefer these kind of approaches for certain titles because you don't want to mess too much with elaborate and finely crafted looking games, you'll inevitably screw many things up like Spider-Man, Batman and many others have shown before.

Give me higher framerate, LOD upgrades, better shadows, better AF and little refinements here and there. Boom, perfection.

Fake

Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnn.........
don't buy it.

The point is, if you have the money you should make whatever you want with them.
On the other hand we can as well make critics about a non needed update/remaster thats not even free to begin with.

Democracy walk in two ways. Just saying.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

VRR mode sounds great with unlocked framerate pushing 70-100 fps. Shorter load times is always a welcome bonus. Can't wait to do a new playthrough. I hope it's a separate trophy list so I can platinum it again.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The point is, if you have the money you should make whatever you want with them.
On the other hand we can as well make critics about a non needed update thats not even free to begin with.

Democracy walk in two ways. Just saying.
If it's not needed (pointless as this is considering video games aren't a "need" anyway), you can skip it. That's the point.

A criticism is one thing, but bitchin' about need isn't diplomatic. It is just bitchin'.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Fucking ridiculous that Sony has the gall to ask $10 for minuscule visual enhancements that absolutely NOBODY would be able to point out when playing the game. I started watching the DF video and it was extremely hard to notice those teeny tiny differences even when they were pointed out on a zoomed in image. A slightly better shadow here, some additional grass there. It's fucking nothing.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Gaming is really funny like this.

A $15 game with 100 hours of gameplay: eww too expensive I'll wait for an even deeper discount

A single poorly made drink at a bar:
GIF by Saturday Night Live

People are weird with digital content. On the movie side of things, I see people waiting literally years to buy a movie they want because they refuse to pay more than, say, $8 and it's priced at $10... So they wait years to save that $2.

It's bizarre to me.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is it lazyness from the devs or PS5 is not powerful enough to have better visual upgrades ?
What exactly do you want them to add? RTGI, RT Reflections and Shadows? Its a $10 upgrade like Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima. Neither game added those RT features.

The game is already done. The team has moved on to other games. no artist is going back to this game to redo the assets. No programmer is going back to this game to add support for RT. The reason why other games do this on console is because RT and higher quality assets were already generated by third party devs since PC is their primary platform. So porting those over to PS5 was relatively easy since it was all already there. Thats not the case with PS4 games.

Its disappointing that they didnt go back and give us the E3 2018 version, but it has nothing to do with laziness or lack of power in the PS5.

Top Bottom