• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Rise of The Ronin: PS5 Tech Review - A Superb Action RPG... But Can It Sustain 60FPS?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Then maybe you have bigger problems in life?
Having $600 of spare money just for an entertainment system doesn’t mean I have problems in life. Maybe it's just for the kids.

Just because I’m willing to spend $600 means I should be willing to spend $1000+? Is that your logic? Reminds me of those saying instead of the $1200 4080, just get the $1600 4090. What’s $400 anyway?

Last edited:
Because graphic options were a mistake. I think this generation would be better received if games were designed to one option, per console. Devs would be able to optimize that one option even better, whether it’s better IQ, better visuals or higher stable frame rate.

This statement confesses a misunderstanding of how these modes are created in the first place.

Having one mode wouldn't have lead to better results.

Performance modes are simply the result of consumers demanding 60 fps but most gamers want the best graphics. With DRS, there's not a ton of development used on making these 60 fps modes. You make it sound like they're making two different games. They aren't.

Your original comment said that people wonder why PS5 Pro is needed. In this specific case it seems like this is likely on the developers engine rather than the PS5 hardware. Especially when you take into account that Ghosts of Tsushima looks and runs better on PS5 hardware than Rise of the Ronin.

You obviously do care if it's not optimised, because you're willing to purchase better hardware to enjoy the game the way it should have been originally developed. If you want to buy an upgraded console to get better graphics and performance then fine, more power to you. That's not an excuse for poor optimisation or development though.

You're right, I don't care.

Because graphic options were a mistake. I think this generation would be better received if games were designed to one option, per console. Devs would be able to optimize that one option even better, whether it’s better IQ, better visuals or higher stable frame rate.
Console games would go back to being 100% 30 FPS no question about it.

Melfice7

nioh was announced for ps3 in 2005, came out over a decade later on ps4 while looking like it belong in last gen, looking at ronin i wouldnt be surprised this engine is still limited by the ps3 era

Mr.Phoenix

And when I say as far as this gen goes, the issue is with the devs people say I am doing damage control.

There is no reason on the planet these devs should have a gam,e that looks and performs like this on the PS5. For reference, GoT, a PS4 game, performed and looked better than this. Even on the PS4.

Been saying it, the issue here are the devs. Fidelity mode at 1152p@30fps???? And looking like this? and that's even without RT.

936p??? Yeesh. Won’t stop me from playing for that team ninja lootsplosion hack and slash goodness but man those are 2013 resolutions.
Don't forget nobody needs a PS5 pro.
l51hT4H.gif

S0ULZB0URNE

Team Ninja did a terrible job.
I expect they simultaneously developed this for another format and a announcement of it releasing on that platform shouldn't be far away, unless Sony says not to yet.
But it's coming or TN development skills are incompetent with PS5.

Nydius

Remind me why people think a ps5 pro isn't needed...

wHy dO We nEEd A PS5 prO?

Don't forget nobody needs a PS5 pro.

Did the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X magically fix shitty performance? Or did it just give developers license to crank up even more bells and whistles until performance was shit again? Remember when everyone was cheering that those days were over because the PS5 and Series X were coming out and NOW we’d get that promised 4k/60 promised land?

People who think a “pro” version is going to fix these issues are gullible as hell. They want you to buy another piece of hardware to get what they promised you in marketing for the last piece of hardware, except you aren’t going to get it with the new one either.

Last edited:

Anchovie123

Did the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X magically fix shitty performance? Or did it just give developers license to crank up even more bells and whistles until performance was shit again? Remember when everyone was cheering that those days were over because the PS5 and Series X were coming out and NOW we’d get that promised 4k/60 promised land?

People who think a “pro” version is going to fix these issues are gullible as hell. They want you to buy another piece of hardware to get what they promised you in marketing for the last piece of hardware, except you aren’t going to get it with the new one either.
Well at this point my memory is kinda faded from that era but from what i can remember there is not a single situation where playing a game on PS4 was better then playing on PS4 Pro. Even unpatched games ran better because of the boosted frequencies.

I do remember a few situations where One X had problems because they were targeting native 4k witch was too much for the system in some cases, but thats a human error problem.

Kikorin

Really someone think an ugly looking game like this could not be stable 60fps on base PS5? Probably Saber Interactive could make this work on Switch hardware with about the same settings lol

Lysandros

It appears we are on the same side on this. This is an (overstretched) industry and management issue fuelled by the demands of the clueless masses. No amount of throwing hardware/raw power will resolve the core problem in my opinion.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

PS4 and X1 were largely fine performance-wise as they targeted 30fps 99% of the time. No one who knew anything about hardware seriously thought they were going to give 60fps given the lack of CPU upgrade.

Awesome strawman though.

Z O N E

Well at this point my memory is kinda faded from that era but from what i can remember there is not a single situation where playing a game on PS4 was better then playing on PS4 Pro. Even unpatched games ran better because of the boosted frequencies.

I do remember a few situations where One X had problems because they were targeting native 4k witch was too much for the system in some cases, but thats a human error problem.

Might not be the same example, but Elden Ring played better on a PS4 Pro than a PS5.

It's all about optimisation and these days developers just don't want to optimise games for consoles. They would rather the game comes out and then slowly fix it over time and by then, most have already played through the game during it's shit period that they've already completed the game before it's fully optimised state. Also, sometimes developers don't even bother and will just fix an issue or 2.

Performance modes are simply the result of consumers demanding 60 fps but most gamers want the best graphics.
Anyone not jerking to static pictures should want 60fps then, on amateur and pro. 30fps inherently only can provide a blurry mess whenever a game is in motion, so 99,9% of the time. Performance mode is among the better things that happened this gen.

It's a joke that we already go lower then fhd again, when this gen was supposed to be better fauxK and better framerates.
A Pro is a quick maybe expensive bandaid solution, and will not make a single game better optimised. It's like some people rather want Intel to sell them already Battlemage for another 300 bucks and not do any of their free driver upgrades, that in an ideal world would not take months for every batch of games they target and be finished for all old games and 99% done for whenever a new game releases.

Anyone not jerking to static pictures should want 60fps then, on amateur and pro. 30fps inherently only can provide a blurry mess whenever a game is in motion, so 99,9% of the time. Performance mode is among the better things that happened this gen.

It's a joke that we already go lower then fhd again, when this gen was supposed to be better fauxK and better framerates.
A Pro is a quick maybe expensive bandaid solution, and will not make a single game better optimised. It's like some people rather want Intel to sell them already Battlemage for another 300 bucks and not do any of their free driver upgrades, that in an ideal world would not take months for every batch of games they target and be finished for all old games and 99% done for whenever a new game releases.

Not sure how you're not understanding that a Pro means you can have both in most cases.

TrebleShot

PS5 is FINISHED it’s over for the plastic box it’s been a terrible gen utterly embarrassing and full of clown like decisions.

The biggest clowns of all are us who lapped it up. I’m beyond furious and the only way I can see myself recovering from this is buying a PS5 Pro.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like VRR is broken on this game, which would explain why I'm seeing so many judders, the game can't be dropping below 48 fps *that* frequently, right?

Either that, or the game just has way too many traversal / streaming stutters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom