• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckman said The Last of Us needs one more sequel, BUT?

HighPoly

Banned
The Last of Us is a complex game...

How much time it will take?
I mean...
The Last of Us Part 2 was released 7 years after PS3 Part 1...

I don't know if we're in the middle of this current generantion...
But if we are...
the next game will be realeased after one or two years of PS6 life cycle, just like Forbidden West and Ragnarok were...

What's your opinion?

They released Uncharted 4 and Uncharted The Lost Legacy in 2016 and 2017.

It’s not like ND only worked in The last of Us 2013 and Part II in 2020.

Venuspower

Also keep in mind that they had been working on Factions II for a long time before they canceled it. So I would not be at all surprised if they use a lot of things from the map for Part III. Factions II was also supposed to be set in San Francisco. Would not it be a coincidence if part of the story of Part III takes place in San Francisco? But surely some of the side stories can also be carried over from the MP. Accordingly, they would already have a good basis for development.

Im actually ok with this. Uncharted and The Last of Us were some of favorite IPs. If this means another new IP can get some shine. Please let it. I’ll be waiting for both.

ProtoByte

I'm okay with it happening, and didn't hate Part II's story completely, but I really do not want it to have anything to do with Abby or Lev.

New IP in 2025, TLOU 3 in 2028. This is how it will be. Both are already in development. Book it
That's way optimistic. You're probably looking at 2026 for the former and 2030 for th later.

Will include factions 2
Nah.
Don't really want into either.

Yoboman

I'm okay with it happening, and didn't hate Part II's story completely, but I really do not want it to have anything to do with Abby or Lev.

That's way optimistic. You're probably looking at 2026 for the former and 2030 for th later.

Nah.
Don't really want into either.
Depends when the new IP started development

HighPoly

Banned
Also keep in mind that they had been working on Factions II for a long time before they canceled it. So I would not be at all surprised if they use a lot of things from the map for Part III. Factions II was also supposed to be set in San Francisco. Would not it be a coincidence if part of the story of Part III takes place in San Francisco? But surely some of the side stories can also be carried over from the MP. Accordingly, they would already have a good basis for development.
great

Perrott

Gold Member

I mean...

But if we are...
the next game will be realeased after one or two years of PS6 life cycle, just like Forbidden West and Ragnarok were...

What's your opinion?
TLOU2 was made in three years, with an additional year in preproduction.

At this point, given that Neil seems to be on early concepting/preproduction of it, TLOU3 would be aiming at a 2029/2030 cross-gen PS5/PS6 release.

tmlDan

yes, it needs a conclusion so that people can stfu about how unfulfilling 2 is.

Ellie needs some sort of mental resolution, i feel like its finding the remnants of the fireflies and finding a cure of some sort

I expect it to come in 2028/2029/2030, they do have multiple teams after all

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
I loved 2013's TLoU, and I have zero interest in this dreary franchise. Give me Tim Cain's Fallout instead. Atleast that had some good (sometimes dark) humor to it..!

Skifi28

They're a very ambitious studio, any game they make would take many many years, I don't see how this is a last of us problem.

TheKratos

Chapter 3 will be about Ellie's fully body transformation to take on that dude from part 2 in hand to hand mortal combat.

Yoboman

They wasted so much time on Factions, I'd be surprised if it entered full production before 2022. Maybe even 2023.
Largely different teams. They built up a multiplayer team through recruitment from 2018 when the multiplayer was split off

Druckmann has been teasing his game since 2021

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They wasted so much time on Factions, I'd be surprised if it entered full production before 2022. Maybe even 2023.
Factions was being made by a small side team, its not like the whole studio was working on it. They cancelled it as soon as they figured it would require too many people to work on it. Rather than take away more resources away from their SP game, they cancelled it. Its absolutely been in development since 2021 at the latest. Maybe even before.

We're going to get an announcement this year then a release next year

Last edited:

Aces High

3oEwTjs.jpg

ProtoByte

Factions was being made by a small side team, its not like the whole studio was working on it. They cancelled it as soon as they figured it would require too many people to work on it. Rather than take away more resources away from their SP game, they cancelled it. Its absolutely been in development since 2021 at the latest. Maybe even before.

We're going to get an announcement this year then a release next year
Largely different teams. They built up a multiplayer team from 2018 when the multiplayer was split off

Druckmann has been teasing his game since 2021

I'm less optimistic on the efficacy of the two team model, but hey. I'll take that I'm wrong for now.

Yoboman

I'm less optimistic on the efficacy of the two team model, but hey. I'll take that I'm wrong for now.
Well they are going all in on the single player game now
Once Naughty Dog games hit production they've historically been quite fast. The current delay is definitely uncharacteristic

xrnzaaas

Just end the story on a happy note and move on to different games.
Gotcha - Tommy and that bigot guy from New Jackson are brutally murdered, Ellie commits suicide, Abby's heart explodes from all the steroids and Dina's now-teenage child makes a gender transition to have a happy ending with Lev.

It will be a mobile dating sim where Ellie and Abby go out looking for love and they kill everyone that dumps them. In the end they end up together and occasionally go out together killing random people to feed their addiction to kill.

Mowcno

Naughty Dog are releasing at least one AAA single-player game before TLOU Part 3. TLOU Part 3 is not coming before the launch of the PS6. It could be a cross-gen title.

yurinka

What's your opinion?
We know that during TLOU Online development they didn't have TLOU3 under production. TLOU Online development started in 2019 when they branched the online MP mode of TLOU2 to make it a standalone game that would be the biggest and most ambitious ND game ever.

In the recent Grounded II documentary, which later part was shooted I think April 2023, they weren't working on TLOU3. A bit later, when they cancelled TLOU Online they had two AAA SP games under development: one started around 2021 and another one around early 2023.

The 2021, started as their next big SP once they completed TLOU2. That title could be the Uncharted spinoff that Bend started to work on but they left the project to focus on the next Bend IP. This, or the 2023 title could also be a new IP.

Just after cancelling TLOU Online they could have started to work on TLOU3 to rehash most of the work they did for TLOU Online. They could put there the small Tommy story and whatever they were going to tell in TLOU Online. If didn't start to work on TLOU3 back then, they could maybe soon, because I assume part of the TLOU Online moved to support the other two teams but they'll have people free to do something else.

The main question is, when these games are going to be released? Nowadays AAA games take more than years to be released. So we're talking about at least 2027 for the first game (Uncharted or new IP?), and at least 2029 for the other two.

I would prefer a prequel to the first game about Joel and Tommy.
They can make a TLOU3 set after TLOU2 with Tommy as main character, that is basically Tommy and Ellie remembering Joel. So almost all the game would be flashbacks of portions not shown in the other games:
  • Intro: Ellie cuts Abby's head with a chainsaw and throws her corpse to feed her pigs in the farm
  • Flashback with Tommy: finds the new base of the Fireflies and where Abby is and goes to tell it to Ellie. Before going to take her down both rest near a bonfire remembering stories with Joel:
  • Tommy + Joel: Tommy's POV of when realized about the infection
  • Tommy + Joel: Struggling to become hunters and scavengers during the pandemic, having to kill other people to survive for the first time
  • Ellie + Joel: some nice moments shared together and hard lessons Ellie hard to learn with Joel
  • Tommy + Joel: some story in Jackson while patrolling together or having to search for some important loot
  • Tommy + Ellie: take down Abby's group with her as final boss. After it they go to the Fireflies base where they learn about Ellie's parents and why this time they are sure that can make a cure beacuse someone in Europe already achieved it (and don't need to kill Ellie).
That would close Joel + Ellie's arc, but would open two more for future entries: one to tell the story of the Europeans who achieved it. Other one would be to bring the cure to Latin America and Asia.

Last edited:
I'm excited about Neil saying that Tommy needs to be a big part of the 3rd game.

I want Tommy to to snipe Lev in the head.

I want the fireflies to carpet bomb Jackson with a re-commissioned B-52 Bomber.

And I want Ellie to sacrifice herself for a cure. Or end it on a really negative and depressing note which would be hilarious.

Del_X

New IP in 2025, TLOU 3 in 2028. This is how it will be. Both are already in development. Book it

Will include factions 2, and “all the infected are connected” aka hordes from the show as the big new gameplay element

Makes sense.
Season 2 pt. 1 in 2025
Season 2 pt. 2 in 2027
TLOU Pt. III in 2028
Season 3 pt. 1 in 2029
Season 3 Pt. 2 in 2030 or 2031.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
We know that during TLOU Online development they didn't have TLOU3 under production. TLOU Online development started in 2019 when they branched the online MP mode of TLOU2 to make it a standalone game that would be the biggest and most ambitious ND game ever.

In the recent Grounded II documentary, which later part was shooted I think April 2023, they weren't working on TLOU3. A bit later, when they cancelled TLOU Online they had two AAA SP games under development: one started around 2021 and another one around early 2023.

The 2021, started as their next big SP once they completed TLOU2. That title could be the Uncharted spinoff that Bend started to work on but they left the project to focus on the next Bend IP. This, or the 2023 title could also be a new IP.

Just after cancelling TLOU Online they could have started to work on TLOU3 to rehash most of the work they did for TLOU Online. They could put there the small Tommy story and whatever they were going to tell in TLOU Online. If didn't start to work on TLOU3 back then, they could maybe soon, because I assume part of the TLOU Online moved to support the other two teams but they'll have people free to do something else.

The main question is, when these games are going to be released? Nowadays AAA games take more than years to be released. So we're talking about at least 2027 for the first game (Uncharted or new IP?), and at least 2029 for the other two.

They can make a TLOU3 set after TLOU2 with Tommy as main character, that is basically Tommy and Ellie remembering Joel. So almost all the game would be flashbacks of portions not shown in the other games:
  • Intro: Ellie cuts Abby's head with a chainsaw and throws her corpse to feed her pigs in the farm
  • Flashback with Tommy: finds the new base of the Fireflies and where Abby is and goes to tell it to Ellie. Before going to take her down both rest near a bonfire remembering stories with Joel:
  • Tommy + Joel: Tommy's POV of when realized about the infection
  • Tommy + Joel: Struggling to become hunters and scavengers during the pandemic, having to kill other people to survive for the first time
  • Ellie + Joel: some nice moments shared together and hard lessons Ellie hard to learn with Joel
  • Tommy + Joel: some story in Jackson while patrolling together or having to search for some important loot
  • Tommy + Ellie: take down Abby's group with her as final boss. After it they go to the Fireflies base where they learn about Ellie's parents and why this time they are sure that can make a cure beacuse someone in Europe already achieved it (and don't need to kill Ellie).
That would close Joel + Ellie's arc, but would open two more for future entries: one to tell the story of the Europeans who achieved it. Other one would be to bring the cure to Latin America and Asia.
This is the writing of someone who completely missed the point and development of Ellie during Part II. What in the world would make you think Ellie goes after Abby a third time after the way it ended?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I think they should let the saga rest a little.... Playstation has exploited it so much that I've already started to hate Ellie.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What has naughty dog done lately? Everyone talks about the last of us 2 and it’s a big part of Sony but I’m sure people see through the remasters remember last of us 2 was released 2020 and had Joel kicked out the door, the hometown hero and sold the franchise 2020 was long ago going on five years now.

I think they should let the saga rest a little.... Playstation has exploited it so much that I've already started to hate Ellie.

Agreed! TLOU was released in 2013, Uncharted in 2007. For more than 10 years ND have given us nothing but those 2 IP's. It's just to much of the same.

Last edited:

begotten

I'm excited about Neil saying that Tommy needs to be a big part of the 3rd game.

Is this correct?

It sounded like Tommy could have gotten his own spin-off or DLC ala Left Behind.

I think Tommy is a great side character but not sure how to feel about him being integral to Part 3.

Is this correct?

It sounded like Tommy could have gotten his own spin-off or DLC ala Left Behind.

I think Tommy is a great side character but not sure how to feel about him being integral to Part 3.

Take this as you will.

I'd love a full and final game about Tommy. I love the actor who plays him, he was unbelievable to Medal of Honor 2010 and Warfighter as well as CoD: WW2.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

As good as the franchise is, I'm tired of it. It sucks that we won't have a new IP this gen, ND was my favorite Sony Studio, now it's not even on my top 3, I'm rooting for a big comeback, but IDK, TLOU don't entice me anymore.

MagnesD3

Yeah it really doesnt. If your forced to play as any of the new characters from 2 I have no interest. A 45 year old ellie could be cool though.

Take this as you will.

I'd love a full and final game about Tommy. I love the actor who plays him, he was unbelievable to Medal of Honor 2010 and Warfighter as well as CoD: WW2.

Id be into a Tommy game but man is tommy beat the hell up at this point, might be interesting if he had a kid he was raising thou and that kid was sent to find ellie or something.

Last edited:

I mean...

But if we are...

What's your opinion?
it'll be a day 1 game with PS6 launch. Sony will make sure of that

Yeah it really doesnt. If your forced to play as any of the new characters from 2 I have no interest. A 45 year old ellie could be cool though.

Id be into a Tommy game but man is tommy beat the hell up at this point, might be interesting if he had a kid he was raising thou and that kid was sent to find ellie or something.
Very true, honestly it could also give ND the chance to make the first disabled videogame character hahaha.

Fbh

If the rumor about their next game being a new IP is true I don't see how TLOU3 could release before the Ps6.
It must suck for them because they'll have to wait for the Ps7 to remaster it, but at least they can remake TLOU2 on Ps6.

Top Bottom