• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 reaches its first anniversary. Where are the hybrid games?

Wonko_C

I know I'm a sad person for having waited one full year to post this, but I'm not surprised by how things turned out.

Sony was reportedly pushing for "hybrid games" that could be played both in standard and VR modes, games like GT7, No Man's Sky and both recent Resident Evils. The reason for this is that PSVR2 was going to get more "big games" and not just small budget indie projects this time around, but we only got those 4 games this year, which are "hybrid". Not a single title has been released with a VR mode from the start.

Missed opportunities for: The Last of Us Part 1 and 2, God of War Ragnarok, Spider-Man 2, Dead Space Remake, Grand Theft Auto 5, Days Gone, Horizon Forbidden West, Astro's Playroom, Destiny 2... and I could go on and on.

Yet as a VR supporter I find the current PSVR2 library has many worth-playing games, but I recognize the average gamer needs big names being led by 1st party releases to jump in on the bandwagon. Let's just hope this just means that those games were just too far in development for them to be hybrid.

Sony sabotaged themselves by fully focusing on over the shoulder games which seem not to be the most prefered if at all ports to VR. Even eg. Helldivers 2 with the original camera view might have worked fine in VR, but HD2 as it is, is also over the shoulder and VR-free, exactly not VR-too.
They possibly also bet on support via Bethesda when they started VR2 development, since they were quite supportive with VR1 and they have strong first person games. I would assume Bungie and other Gaas-shooters might offer VR with their next releases, but all of Sony's existing franchises after GT seem to require entire spearate VR modes or exclusives like Horizon to get a VR experience which is of course not the cheaper hybrid solution.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
After the good news thread,
george-lucas-its-like-poetry.gif

Sell your PSVR2 and get a Meta Quest 3
Why, when he can use it on the PC soon. With better controllers, better screens and better eye tracking.

Last edited:

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Sony sabotaged themselves by fully focusing on over the shoulder games which seem not to be the most prefered if at all ports to VR. Even eg. Helldivers 2 with the original camera view might have worked fine in VR, but HD2 as it is, is also over the shoulder and VR-free, exactly not VR-too.
They possibly also bet on support via Bethesda when they started VR2 development, since they were quite supportive with VR1 and they have strong first person games. I would assume Bungie and other Gaas-shooters might offer VR with their next releases, but all of Sony's existing franchises after GT seem to require entire spearate VR modes or exclusives like Horizon to get a VR experience which is of course not the cheaper hybrid solution.
Uhh… third person games are fucking awesome in VR. I personally prefer them. Especially when you consider the tech in VR that hasn’t really been widely utilized yet.

Last edited:

soulbait

I disagree with this. Third person games work great in VR, giving you a wide field of view and everything in 3D. I think it works great and also is better for those who get motion sickness. It will actually help those gain their "VR legs"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Uhh… third person games are fucking awesome in VR. I personally prefer them. Especially when you consider the tech in VR that hasn’t really been widely utilized yet.
I disagree with this. Third person games work great in VR, giving you a wide field of view and everything in 3D. I think it works great and also is better for those who get motion sickness. It will actually help those gain their "VR legs"
Some of the highest rated VR games that are considered quintessential are third person.

I don't know. There just seems to be almost none? Beside Moss or Astrobot. Which are also not over the shoulder what my point was!
I liked them, but it isn't the most immersive thing, to be the camera and hardly really made VR shine imho. If I would decide I would have never made that Horizon spinoff, but spent all its ressources to make the regular Horizon VR-too. Either port the original or add it to the sequel. At least do a limited mode like Ace Combat 7 did.

Edit: had to check quick. RE4 is also first person for the VR2 port. So something about over the shoulder does not jive it seems when even that game switches its kinda iconic viewpoint for VR?

Last edited:
Landed with a thud & a whimper. My God and the die-hards were so adamant it wouldn't flop. LOL

I knew before it came out it was a big nothing burger. Still is, commercially.

Last edited:

XXL

GT7, No Mans Sky, Resident Evil 8 and Resident Evil 4 (as you mentioned) all released this year and are some of the best titles that released this year in general.

Could it be better, absolutely.

But, it's only been out a year and it put out some of the best VR games of all time in that launch window, let's keep that in perspective.

What we really need is some announcements and Steam integration.

Wonko_C

Sell your PSVR2 and get a Meta Quest 3
I have a Meta Quest 2 I use for PC gaming, it's awesome.

I don't have a PSVR2, I don't even have a PS5, but I intend to buy both when they get down in price (2025 likely) so I can play RE4, RE Village, GT7, HCotM, Synapse and other future exclusives.
Yep, I play a lot of those thanks to Unreal Injector. It's like you're running next to the main character.
Full Call Of Duty multiplayer in VR + a rifle attachment for the sense controllers!
This plus crossplay with flat players to show 'em the superiority of aiming like a real gun.
I don't know. There just seems to be almost none? Beside Moss or Astrobot. Which are also not over the shoulder what my point was!
I liked them, but it isn't the most immersive thing, to be the camera and hardly really made VR shine imho. If I would decide I would have never made that Horizon spinoff, but spent all its ressources to make the regular Horizon VR-too. Either port the original or add it to the sequel. At least do a limited mode like Ace Combat 7 did.

Edit: had to check quick. RE4 is also first person for the VR2 port. So something about over the shoulder does not jive it seems when even that game switches its kinda iconic viewpoint for VR?
Hellblade VR was precisely that. You follow behind Senua. What's funny though is that I played that game first non-VR and what it tried to convey fell flat on its face, but in VR I finally "got it": I was there right behind Senua, and I felt like I was one of those many voices inside her head.
GT7, No Mans Sky, Resident Evil 8 and Resident Evil 4 (as you mentioned) all released this year and are some of the best titles that released this year in general.

Could it be better, absolutely.

But, it's only been out a year and it put out some of the best VR games of all time in that launch window, let's keep that in perspective.

What we really need is some announcements and Steam integration.
Announcements, that's exactly what we need, something like: "We're working on several 1st party games, but it's too early to show them" just that alone would appease those who keep saying PSVR2 is already dead.

Beechos

Sony doesn't care for psvr 2 shit is dead. They couldve easily made a spiderman 2 psvr game which would've been a killer app just with being able to swing around nyc.

Reallink

Playing VR wireless is pure bliss.
So few games actually take advantage of "roomscale" and physical rotation, the wire is much less noticeable than the horrid omnipresent compression and posturization artifacts wifi based wireless brings. Even a multi Gigabit wireless 6e connection is hamstrung by the shitty decoder in the mobile SoC's.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's been a fucking disaster of a year in terms of the PSVR2 getting the kind of content it needs to sell well. A terrible launch for a great bit of kit. Sony have been an utter let down on the support for the headset.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yea, I personally love the headset but Sony is quite baffling at times. Well, most of the time really.

Hybrid modes for third person games would be so great. Just make the headset an extension of the camera. I would gladly play flat games like that with the dualsense. I don't always need to stand and move my arms to have a good VR experience. The perspective shift is cool enough, I don't need everything in first person.

ABnormal

Yeah I've played probably 20-25 unreal engine AA-AAA VR games since the beginning of the year on PC via the injector mod. 11000 are possible.
Sony needs to develop something like this.
That would be great. It would still be VR on console (so it could never have all the games which are not on console), but with hybrid games and some kind of VR injector to just play any joypad game but FROM INSIDE and with free head camera, that would be the best way to promote VR. I still hope Capcom will do something like that for Dragon's Dogma :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Deerock71

VR, in it's current form, is the true gimmick of the last 20 years. It's not quite as fun as wearing a second set of glasses for 3D on all those 3D tvs, but it's getting there!

fart town usa

Gold Member
I wish RE4make had a purely third person VR mode. It's great as it is in VR but I still think third person was a better experience as a whole for that game, at least for me it was. A hybrid mode like that would be amazing

fart town usa

Gold Member
VR, in it's current form, is the true gimmick of the last 20 years. It's not quite as fun as wearing a second set of glasses for 3D on all those 3D tvs, but it's getting there!
Curious if you think light gun games are trash gimmick games or something gamers should take serious?

ABnormal

VR is far from being a gimmick: it works wonderfully. It just doesn't have yet solved its many limitations. Regarding the example, there are really people who compare it to 3D TVs. The two things have literally NOTHING to do with each other (still I can't understand how people still say something like that, it just demonstrates how many don't even have a real idea of what VR is), but whatever. One (3D TVs) is just a visualization modality. The other is an immersion/interaction technology to interact visually and structurally with the game world. The first one is just passive 3D viewing, while in the second one the 3D (which moreover is a "real" 3D) is just a big bonus, but not the point of the tech. How that is not yet clear baffles me. There are still idiots who think that Virtual boy was some sort of VR gaming, just because the word "virtual" was in it (it seems that some are dumb enough to being suggestionated by words rather that reality itself). It was not: it was just a 3D miniTV looked from close.
VR is already plenty of fun, if you really try it (and don't get sick, which is the real and foremost limit of today). When games are properly developed for it, not only it allows an immersion simply impossible anywhere else, but it even adds space interaction again impossible on any other control system. Heck, even just interactin physically with zombies and the objects in the world of S&S is massively more gratifying and pleasant that the usual "press the button for action" and rigidly move head, torso, eyes and weapon altogether with a stick.
The possibilities are endless, and that's just obvious by definition due to the nature of the medium (unless you are clueless). But there are SEVERAL limits that need to be conquered, for it to be what it can be.
It should be obvious even for idiots that if you could experience a game from inside, without any motion sickness limiting the freedom of movement in game design (and so allowing the freedom just move in the virtual environment jumping, somersaulting, rolling, sliding, rotating, dashing anywhere, and so on, coupled with the extreme level of possible interaction that 3D space movement allows with hands and arms, you can imagine any sword duel, any gameplay fantasy that you could have come alive), immersed in 3D sound, and with just a pair of light goggles no bigger that swimmer ones, everybody would plunge in it. But all those aspects have to come together (especially the complete erasure of motion sickness, which was the reason most of my friends, who where invariably exalted to play in it, stopped from the fear of feeling sick again when they felt like that).

Deerock71

Curious if you think light gun games are trash gimmick games or something gamers should take serious?
Who takes light gun games seriously?
VR is far from being a gimmick: it works wonderfully. It just doesn't have yet solved its many limitations. Regarding the example, there are really people who compare it to 3D TVs. The two things have literally NOTHING to do with each other (still I can't understand how people still say something like that, it just demonstrates how many don't even have a real idea of what VR is), but whatever. One (3D TVs) is just a visualization modality. The other is an immersion/interaction technology to interact visually and structurally with the game world. The first one is just passive 3D viewing, while in the second one the 3D (which moreover is a "real" 3D) is just a big bonus, but not the point of the tech. How that is not yet clear baffles me. There are still idiots who think that Virtual boy was some sort of VR gaming, just because the word "virtual" was in it (it seems that some are dumb enough to being suggestionated by words rather that reality itself). It was not: it was just a 3D miniTV looked from close.
VR is already plenty of fun, if you really try it (and don't get sick, which is the real and foremost limit of today). When games are properly developed for it, not only it allows an immersion simply impossible anywhere else, but it even adds space interaction again impossible on any other control system. Heck, even just interactin physically with zombies and the objects in the world of S&S is massively more gratifying and pleasant that the usual "press the button for action" and rigidly move head, torso, eyes and weapon altogether with a stick.
The possibilities are endless, and that's just obvious by definition due to the nature of the medium (unless you are clueless). But there are SEVERAL limits that need to be conquered, for it to be what it can be.
It should be obvious even for idiots that if you could experience a game from inside, without any motion sickness limiting the freedom of movement in game design (and so allowing the freedom just move in the virtual environment jumping, somersaulting, rolling, sliding, rotating, dashing anywhere, and so on, coupled with the extreme level of possible interaction that 3D space movement allows with hands and arms, you can imagine any sword duel, any gameplay fantasy that you could have come alive), immersed in 3D sound, and with just a pair of light goggles no bigger that swimmer ones, everybody would plunge in it. But all those aspects have to come together (especially the complete erasure of motion sickness, which was the reason most of my friends, who where invariably exalted to play in it, stopped from the fear of feeling sick again when they felt like that).
I feel like this is trying to seriously read a user agreement. I scrolled down as fast as I could so I could click: [I AGREE]

DaGwaphics

They did Hitman VR. Seems like converting from 3rd person to first person would not be that big of a deal if they wanted to go that way. The reverse would be a lot harder since you don't have the animations and all that.

NinjaBoiX

A dude alone just did an injector for a whole engine. How hard can it be to hire a small team to do these. Do last of us first, gow second etc. No one is asking for a new game from the grounds up.
I think you’re vastly underestimating how much time and money it would take to turn a game like GoW into a solid VR experience.

Sure, it might be easy enough to simply stick the camera inside Kratos’ head but to retweak all the mechanics and rework all the design decisions for VR? That’s got to be a big task.

sncvsrtoip

To be fair first year was quite great. 3 amazing AAA titles: GT7, Re Village, Re 4 remake + many other solid titles: Noo man sky, Horizon, Red Matter 2, Moss 2, 7th Quest, Pavlov, CrossFire Sierra, Vertigo 2, Saints and Sinners, Song in the smoke, Synapse. If not psvr2 I would have no many titles to play last year. Tough I'm little worried next year wont be as good as with exception of Capcom other studios are not interested in converting their titles for vr, big shame.

Last edited:
I think you’re vastly underestimating how much time and money it would take to turn a game like GoW into a solid VR experience.

Sure, it might be easy enough to simply stick the camera inside Kratos’ head but to retweak all the mechanics and rework all the design decisions for VR? That’s got to be a big task.
It would still work in VR as a third person game.

The added sense of scale you’d get from a true 3D perspective and being inside that world would add so much to the experience.

Vlodril

From what i understand it took one guy from hello games 6 months to do it. It could be a big ask but they are selling the product and it is what would draw people. They should stop half-assing it. Personally i think it is much less complicated than you think.

Wonko_C

I know two friends who outright REFUSE to try my headset and dismiss it with "If it's not like the Nerve Gear from SAO it's not real VR". One of them thinks all this "flailing your arms around like a monkey" is dumb, yet he has a Pump It Up arcade machine in his house which he loves. like stomping your feet around in a dance machine is somehow completely different, LOL. I just can't comprehend some people.

To be fair first year was quite great. 3 amazing AAA titles: GT7, Re Village, Re 4 remake + many other solid titles: Noo man sky, Horizon, Red Matter 2, Moss 2, 7th Quest, Pavlov, CrossFire Sierra, Vertigo 2, Saints and Sinners, Song in the smoke, Synapse. If not psvr2 I would have no many titles to play last year. Tough I'm little worried next year wont be as good as with exception of Capcom other studios are not interested in converting their titles for vr, big shame.
And with Capcom I'm not really sure they're interested, they just made those modes because Sony paid them.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I'm rooting for Sony to surprise us and get this ship back on course, hopefully this year. As OP alluded to, I imagined Sony was going to at least add some form of minimal VR support to most of their 1st party games, even if it was just using the headset as a floating camera in a 3rd person game. So far, it's kind of bummed me out, but I would imagine I would be more enthusiastic about their current library If I didn't have access to most of them with my Q3. I have almost bit the bullet and bought a PS5 and PSVR2 multiple times since release, but there are only a handful of games that I can't experience on my Q3. I also like to go in my backyard and paint a 25 x 25 ft play-space or go to my garage and paint a 10 x 15ft space that I can physically move around in. The PSVR2 would be hooked up in my game room and I'm barely able to squeeze in a 6 x 5 ft area, which dampers my excitement somewhat.

ABnormal

Yes. People tend to forget that this is console VR, and that as for consoles in general, they have their closed environment and software.

Nobody espects consoles to have all the mods and softwares avaliable on pc, so it doesn't make any sense to espect it on console VR. Gamers that buy consoles are happy with having a plug-and-play experience, consolidates standards, higher standards in QA game development, and console exclusives.
If one wants a pc environment (be it for VR or in general), he would buy a pc. The same applies for VR.
PSVR is console VR, and in that perspective it offered a pretty great offering. But it still lacks some things that would have been possible even in a console environment and that in my opinion would make a big difference in perception and appeal: hybrid games and some sort of VR injector that makes possible to experience the very same games (with the very same controls, not recreated for VR) in VR. Tha would be sick, and I would love to see any exclusive and great multiplatform game comeing out with that. Just imagining to plunge into Death Stranding world, in those environments, in VR, for example, makes me drool. But there are infinite examples for that, that would transgorm any kind of game in a dream came true.

sncvsrtoip

I know two friends who outright REFUSE to try my headset and dismiss it with "If it's not like the Nerve Gear from SAO it's not real VR". One of them thinks all this "flailing your arms around like a monkey" is dumb, yet he has a Pump It Up arcade machine in his house which he loves. like stomping your feet around in a dance machine is somehow completely different, LOL. I just can't comprehend some people.

And with Capcom I'm not really sure they're interested, they just made those modes because Sony paid them.
Surely Sony paid for it but I suppose they proposed similar deals to other studios

Last edited:
Top Bottom