• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I worry for Sony's commitment to PSVR2.

Three

You should probably play more VR then. Like Half-Life: Alyx.
Astrobot was from 2018. Boneworks did the bucket thing in 2019:

HL:Alyx was a 2020 game

There is nothing wrong with Astrobot being the Mario 64 moment for VR for somebody. It was earlier and blew them away doesn't mean VR or 3D games didn't progress.

Gamerguy84

Not for everyone, or really anyone outside the US but I'm going to get NFL pro era VR. It will be a while because I'm busy with GT7, Horizon, NMS, and probably RE Village.

Astrobot was from 2018. Boneworks did the bucket thing in 2019:

HL:Alyx was a 2020 game

There is nothing wrong with Astrobot being the Mario 64 moment for VR for somebody. It was earlier and blew them away doesn't mean VR or 3D games didn't progress.

Exactly.

It ain't like Mario 64 was the same as the original Half Life either. Both classic, awesome games in different ways that released years apart but were one of the first modern 3D titles with compelling use of the new medium

Not sure why he couldn't pick up on that point I was making

saintjules

Latest from Blomberg... Should we worry about the system, have Sony done enough to promote the PSVR2 👀 or is it a case that people just don't have the cash that they may have had before the cost of living crisis took hold 😬😔

It's the cash duebto high pricing and probably because there's still a good amount of people not having a PS5 yet.

Also not being able to function on PC Hardware seems to be a miss as well.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's the cash duebto high pricing and probably because there's still a good amount of people not having a PS5 yet.

Also not being able to function on PC Hardware seems to be a miss as well.

Perfect storm, too pricy, too small of a user base, and limited appeal. This just adds further fuel to the fire that playstation portable would have been a better idea.

drezz

playstation portable would have been a better idea.
God Of War No GIF by PlayStation

Robb

Gold Member
If Sony doesn't bring the big guns (especially the 2nd time around), chances are people won't buy it and Sony will see that as "VR doesn't work. Let's bail".
Yeah it’s the classic dilemma of user base vs. content driving one another.

It’s definitely up to Sony to deliver the content and push users to want to buy it though, so I agree with you on that. And to some extent they are trying with spin-offs like Horizon etc. etc. I’m not sure that stuff will be enough though and I very much doubt we’ll see a mainline game in any of their franchises be VR exclusive any time soon.

Gambit2483

Yeah it’s the classic dilemma of user base vs. content driving one another.

It’s definitely up to Sony to deliver the content and push users to want to buy it though, so I agree with you on that. And to some extent they are trying with spin-offs like Horizon etc. etc. I’m not sure that stuff will be enough though and I very much doubt we’ll see a mainline game in any of their franchises be VR exclusive any time soon.

I dont think I fully agree. If this were a $250 device Sony would be struggling to keep up with demand. They would be selling as many as they could produce, at least for the first 2 years or so.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Sony’s first party is almost exclusively third-person games, which is the worst kind of perspective to translate to a VR version.

So it might be time for another Killzone or some first person RPG that can be awesome for both regular and VR users (like RE7 and Village!).
3rd person can be translated to VR in different ways. RE4 on Quest 2 is one example, Hellblade went the other way, it's still 3rd person and you control Senua as if you were walking behind her.

I think Uncharted VR remasters could do great transitions, Horizon CotM is basically that with all the climbing.

schaft0620

Aside from GT7 getting ported and Firesprite, I don't think Sony first party studios are working on PS VR2 games. For a long time a lot of us assumed that Insomiac had their VR teams intact after being acquired and I am starting to wonder if that is not the case.

If you have a 3 million user install base, they will contact out and lean on indies, they won't spent AAA money to make these games, and its a shame. It doesn't even sound like ASOBI is making a VR game. Plus we know London is not either.

The good news is, it feels like Facebook is going to stop buying devs.

Last edited:
I dont think I fully agree. If this were a $250 device Sony would be struggling to keep up with demand. They would be selling as many as they could produce, at least for the first 2 years or so.
That's my feeling as well. PSVR2 is ultimately an accessory in an industry known for creating and then totally dumping or, at the least, not sufficiently supporting said accessories. And it's priced higher than the console to which it is associated. It's a gimmick, but it's not priced like a gimmick.

• Empathy
Reactions: K2D
Aside from GT7 getting ported and Firesprite, I don't think Sony first party studios are working on PS VR2 games. For a long time a lot of us assumed that Insomiac had their VR teams intact after being acquired and I am starting to wonder if that is not the case.

I think many Sony studios are working on VR modes of their biggest AAA games

Ar¢tos

The amount of money they would lose per unit wouldn't even make it marketable at that price. They are probably already selling at loss.
Has anyone done an estimated BoM?

Gambit2483

The amount of money they would lose per unit wouldn't even make it marketable at that price. They are probably already selling at loss.
Has anyone done an estimated BoM?
Selling hardware at a loss is not a foreign concept to this industry. If they are truly already selling at a major loss @$550 then they should have made better choices during the designing and parts/manufacturing contracting phase of this product.

Selling your accessory/peripheral at a higher price than the main device is just stupid and makes zero business sense imo. No one should be surprised if/when your product fails

Wonko_C

First I'm hearing of there potentially being a PSVR version to TLOU Part 1 AND GTAV? OP where did you hear that from?
Nowhere, it was just my expectation, since Sony is supposedly pushing for hybrid VR games, I expected they would do that for some (many?) of their existing games. It's kinda there with GT7 and Village.

Thanks for the correction. I misremembered it.

If they wanted to have a killer app for launch they should have developed a TLOU vr version similar to the walking dead or a golf game called "Abby vr"
They could update TLOU Part 1 to make it a hybrid game.

I think many Sony studios are working on VR modes of their biggest AAA games
Let's hope so. The whole point I was trying to make with the thread was "Where are the hybrid games, Sony?" But I guess my post went all over the place and made a fool of myself in the process. :p

K2D

Banned
Selling hardware at a loss is not a foreign concept to this industry. If they are truly already selling at a major loss @$550 then they should have made better choices during the designing and parts/manufacturing contracting phase of this product.

Selling your accessory/peripheral at a higher price than the main device is just stupid and makes zero business sense imo. No one should be surprised if/when your product fails
They're probably hovering around breaking-even this timw. PSVR would probably have made them money from day 1 if you don't take R&D into account.

Wouldn't supprise me if the were willing to take a risk with VR in the long run. VR isn't going away any time soon, so it makes sense to have a horse in the race.

IMO you have to put VR in the same category as a monitor. Can't knock it of as a simple peripheral.

Gambit2483

IMO you have to put VR in the same category as a monitor. Can't knock it of as a simple peripheral.
Even If I agreed with you on this, it will take years and years for the general consumer to ever see VR as more than a fun little niche product/tech.

Unless Sony has no intention to sell VR to the general consumer they will need to drop the cost to where the general consumer would even think about purchasing this.

Last edited:

XXL

Guerilla
Santa Monica
Insomniac
Bend
San Diego
Naughty Dog
Bluepoint
Haven
Housemarque
London
Suckerpunch

Asobi - Probably
Pixel Opus - Probably but not AAA
Media Molecule - Probably but not AAA
Spider-Man 2 will 100% have some sort of PSVR 2 content, even if its just swing around the city.

Insomniac is experienced with VR as well.

schaft0620

Spider-Man 2 will 100% have some sort of PSVR 2 content, even if its just swing around the city.

Insomniac is experienced with VR as well.

I was one of the fist people to write about this. There has been no indication that they are still working with VR and it was not apart of their hiring spree. Plus Shu has come out and said indirectly that first party is not working on PS VR. How can you say 100% its more like 5% to 10%. I really do not think they are. Find me one job posting or one person on Linkdin that has Insomniac and VR in their current title. I don't think they exist and I think a lot of these other people in the studio got absorbed into their AAA Marvel projects.

Firesprite aside.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member

I could totally see myself ripping the psvr1 off my face like that last chick. Oh that would be so frustrating

Won't be an issue. Sony put the cord in a smart location instead of off the side of the front piece.

Who the fuck actually thought that was a good idea?

Lunarorbit

Won't be an issue. Sony put the cord in a smart location instead of off the side of the front piece.

Who the fuck actually thought that was a good idea?
Oh yeah, I know. That's why I said psvr1. I wonder if she could snap it back together?

XXL

I was one of the fist people to write about this. There has been no indication that they are still working with VR and it was not apart of their hiring spree. Plus Shu has come out and said indirectly that first party is not working on PS VR. How can you say 100% its more like 5% to 10%. I really do not think they are. Find me one job posting or one person on Linkdin that has Insomniac and VR in their current title. I don't think they exist and I think a lot of these other people in the studio got absorbed into their AAA Marvel projects.

Firesprite aside.
I'm not basing this prediction on anything aside from it would make business sense and it would be dumb not to make it, in my opinion.

Top Bottom