• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 2 Sold 44% Fewer Copies Than Predecessor

Status
Not open for further replies.

VulcanRaven

Not surprised, woke agenda in 2nd last of us definitely put off many customers, there is a reason for get woke go broke saying, even hbo tv series didnt help much, coz that woke crowd either gets free copies(so called "professional journos") or just gets enraged on twitter :p
The HBO show is one of the most watched tv shows of the year.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
First-time-james-franco-hanging-meme.jpg
Comparing sales of 1 game over 2 years and another game over 9 years ... I guess it probably is the first time 🤣

PeteBull

The HBO show is one of the most watched tv shows of the year.
Yup, imagine how much worse the sales would be w/o its bump ;D
Now it all makes sense that ND tried to make GAAS genre game based on that settings, coz they saw single player games from every next part gonna be not worth the production budget, so their plan was- tiny budget in comparision and tons of mtx money, but again, when woke agenda is ur priority whem making a gem, quality suffers, so not even worried gaas shit got canceled :p

PeteBull

Just look at review score on first one and at user score https://www.metacritic.com/game/the-last-of-us/
vs 2nd game, look how drastic user score changed, https://www.metacritic.com/game/the-last-of-us-part-ii/
And guess what, users are responsible for sales, not woke fucks who call themselfs professional journos
early on at launch and bit after pc port of last of us was complete and utter diseaster, hence mixed reviews with only 67% positive, but look most recent ones, when game's performance and all its issues(including super low quality textures on 8 gigs vram cards) got fixed- 88% positive in last 30days, users aka buyers/customers love the first game on pc too now :)

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Last edited:
What to say about the sales numbers difference between Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West:

24 million vs 8 million.

Don't forget that HFW was released on two platforms. Enormous drop-off.

God of War: Ragnarok did much better: 15 million copies even though the game came out seven months later than HFW.

The reason for the drop-off (according to Sony) was adding HFW to PS+ Extra which immediately killed future game sales.

67mDICd.jpg
they say it was about Extra. But maybe a combination of factors. Like the fact that the second game was not an improvement at all.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Not surprised, woke agenda in 2nd last of us definitely put off many customers, there is a reason for get woke go broke saying, even hbo tv series didnt help much, coz that woke crowd either gets free copies(so called "professional journos") or just gets enraged on twitter :p

So you made this statement without looking at the sales charts? Good to know. lol

PeteBull

So you made this statement without looking at the sales charts? Good to know. lol
Nice tag, bro, naughty dog defense force, btw i love many of their games too, just not TLoU part2, if i like game i praise it, if i dont like it i will critique it, as it should be :p

you mean the game that came out in 2013 and had PS3, PS4, PS5 and PC versions has sold more than the one that came out in 2020 and has had a single PS4 sku for now?
I'm shocked.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nice tag, bro, naughty dog defense force, btw i love many of their games too, just not TLoU part2, if i like game i praise it, if i dont like it i will critique it, as it should be :p
I didn't say anything about you not liking the game. I'm talking about the sales charts.

I posted sales results on the first page. It's clear that the HBO show helped boost sales.

Majormaxxx

TLOU 2 is not woke.

These are weirdos who are sad about a fictional character being killed off and took it personally
Yeah not woke at all lololo

Now many alphabet characters do you need for it to be woke?

It's interesting to see if the inevitable third entry will up the ante and meet your criteria for woke.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

It's interesting to see if the inevitable third entry will up the ante and meet your criteria for woke.
I'm done being nice or subtle about this.

...You people are retarded.

One so called trans character, who is a literal side character, does not make a game "woke".

Ellie likes Pussy, so do I. That does not make the game "woke".

How fucking weak do you have to be to think anything not starring some strong male is woke? lmao

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Spider-Man 2018 - 22 million copies sold.
Spider-Man 2 - 6 million copies sold.

That's a major drop off
If Spider-Man 2 is only at 10mill in 3 years then yes, but it's barely 3 months old and sold more then half of what TLOU2 has sold*

*based on current data

PeteBull

Days Gone is there. Why no sequel Sony??
Coz it wasnt woke, bro, maybe devs didnt want to make it woke so sony decided to scrap it, after all cant expect all dev teams to have 0 backbone like spiderman2 insomaniac devs, who obediently made spiderman2 woke af according to that nasty forced diversity vid that just leaked =D

Skifi28

Woke is not about having gays or lesbians or people of color in your product, they've been included for decades in entertainment products/stories. Woke is about using those characters as a way to forcefully pass a desired message which this game doesn't really do.

You can have a woke game with zero "alphabet characters", you're focusing on the wrong thing.

Last edited:

onQ123

The thing with TLoU 2 is that sales seems to have stalled pretty hard after year one or even just the first few months. The remaster will help but I doubt it will ever catch up to the first one, the Uncharted remaster PS5 didn't sell too much and I don't expect TLoU2 one to do any better.
The sales didn't stall though this is just old reporting lol

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If Spider-Man 2 is only at 10mill in 3 years then yes, but it's barely 3 months old and sold more then half of what TLOU2 has sold*

*based on current data

TLOU 2 sold 9.9m copies at the end of Feb 2022, which makes it less than 2 years.

You don't compare the overall sales figure while ignoring the time the game was released and how it achieved those numbers. The fact that The Last of Us Part II is probably around 15m sales at this point without the massive bundle that the first game received is impressive.

Majormaxxx

I'm done being nice or subtle about this.

...You people are retarded.

One so called trans character, who is a literal side character, does not make a game "woke".

Ellie likes Pussy, so do I. That does not make the game "woke".

How fucking weak do you have to be to think anything not starring some strong male is woke? lmao
Using the R word is not acceptable in this day and age. I think you need to undergo sensitivity training.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yeah...let's focus only on that...not the time gap between releases and the other 2 additional skus even without PC, lmao.

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

I’m just joking with ya. Spent more time with Last of us 2 then any of the other major sequels (spider man 2 god of war 2 and Horzion 2) prob put all together. All good in my book even if story was a bummer.

OP reminds me of a banned poster from a while back named Eddie Griffin. Would make threads just to make threads.........and for no good reason. 😄

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
TLOU1 sales number covers over 9 years. TLOU2 outsold it in barely a couple years.

TLOU1 remaster was released over 8 years ago, TLOU2 remaster still hasn't been released.

TLOU 1 got relaunched/remarketed a DLC, a remaster, a remake, a PC port and a tv show season. TLOU2 didn't.

TLOU2 is selling better than TLOU1 launch aligned.

This is because it was released on PS3 very late on its lifecycle, only a few months before the PS4 release. And PS4 wasn't BC.

When TLOU first released that game left a mark, almost like how U2 took the gaming world by storm. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. It was the best thing that came out of PlayStation studios so ofcrouse a remaster would sell gangbusters. Can't say the same thing about TLOU2 with that awful leak that pissed alof of people off and everything got confirmed when the game released. A controversial of epic proportions surrounded that game. It was a warzone basically. That shit leaves a sour taste in people's mouths.

What i'm trying to say is. TLOU is loved, Part 2 is hated. It will not sell the same amount.

The people have spoken!

Who Knows Idk GIF

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A more apples to apples comparison would be time aligned sales after 3 years since LOU2 came out June 2020.

But at this point, it's still sold fewer copies overall.

When LOU1 came out, PS3 was around 85M console base. When LOU2 came out, PS4 was already at 115M units. So right away, LOU2 had a 30M install base advantage to sell to vs PS3.

K' Dash

Sony trying to get a piece of the pie of GaaS makes perfect sense now.

What a delicious leak this has been.

I’m ready for more.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
When TLOU first released that game left a mark, almost like how when U2 released. Word of mouth for that game was of the charts. It was the best thing that came out of PlayStation studios so ofcrouse a remaster would sell gangbusters. Can't say the same thing about TLOU2 with that awful leak that pissed alof of people off and everything got confirmed when the game released. Controversial of epic proportions surrounded that game. It was a warzone basically. That shit leaves a sour taste in people's mouths.

What i'm trying to say is. TLOU is loved, Part 2 is hated. It will not sell the same amount.

The people have spoken!

The Last of Us Remaster has around 20 different bundles in 8 years.

People fail to acknowledge that the numbers were inflated.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Sony trying to get a piece of the pie of GaaS makes perfect sense now.
How so?

DForce DForce

On top of that, for a game that's so hated, there sure are a lot of people buying it. But, you know, for some reason, folks are deliberately ignoring the date the game hit 10 million to come up with these takes. Here's some fun — when did the first game hit 10 million? Was it before or after its 2014 (one year later) Remaster?

Last edited:

Pelta88

I'm trying to make sense of the data but I can't.

One game released in 2013. The other, in 2018. But the "source" is talking in absolutes and totals.

Last edited:
I bought 3 copies of the last of us. 2 copies on ps3 and 1 copy on ps4 and also the DLC. For me the first was the best game on playstation. The last of us 2, I didn't buy any. I don't think it matters much since I am only one player but the spoiler before release for the last of us 2 was enough for me not to buy it. Same thing with Spider man. Bought the first didn't buy the 2nd. I am one of the supporters of go woke go broke :messenger_sunglasses:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom