• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckman said The Last of Us needs one more sequel, BUT?

Matsuchezz

a game with joel and tommy when the outbreak happened would be so sweet. Tommy with the fireflies and all that story previous to both games would be so good. how joel became a beast. The continuation of ellies story i do not care to see that. Maybe a jump to the present as a dlc where she meets her death or the cure is created from her.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its kind of a no-brainer really. Ellie needs a redemption arc, but realistically it needs to be set a significant time after the events of the second game with an whole world-view that reflects the changes made over that time.

If it was me, I'd seriously consider a setup where there is an effective cure/preventative against infection but its being handed out by a corrupt new order who offers it only to those who swear fealty. By doing this it could retroactively absolve Joel's actions (as this behaviour mirrors that of what the Fireflies would likely have done), and re-center Ellie as not being the "chosen one", unlocking her potential to become her own woman as opposed to one driven by the winds of fate.

Narratively this gives a lot of leeway to tell a character-driven story within the established lore framework that would stand on its own legs

SHA

She’s going to look like Dawnbreaker from DOTA in the third game
pT3c1Xl.png

What is this?

fart town usa

Gold Member
$10 says Neil puts out Part 3 and then leaves ND and forms his own studio leaving the rest of ND to clean up the mess. 🤣

angrod14

Part III will be a launch PS6 title at best. They started development for Part II right after the first game (2013), and it ended up being released at the end of the next console cycle (2020).

Almost four years have passed since the released of Part II, and all they seem to have is "drafts, and concepts, and ideas, and maybe we do it maybe we don't, if we feel inspired, blah blah" BS. We're not getting Part III until PS6.

They burned the franchise with remakes, remasters and the TV series, and are horny for the new IP thing.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Don't wanna crash the zoom, but Niel is doing an hour with Israel's leading design school live now. Will update if he says anything about the future (it's also part Hebrew).

Venuspower

Part III will be a launch PS6 title at best. They started development for Part II right after the first game (2013), and it ended up being released at the end of the next console cycle (2020).
But you do realize that the actual development of Part II only really started after Uncharted 4 (pre-production) and then The Lost Legacy (full production)? That was in 2016 and 2017. The few weeks they spent working on the concept for Part II in 2013 are hardly worth mentioning. So they actually worked on Part II for around 3 - 4 years.

Last edited:

yurinka

This is the writing of someone who completely missed the point and development of Ellie during Part II. What in the world would make you think Ellie goes after Abby a third time after the way it ended?
It is the writing of someone who knows that when someone does something twice very likely will do it a third time. Specially when now she is totally alone, so her obsession and trauma will get worse.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It is the writing of someone who knows that when someone does something twice very likely will do it a third time. Specially when now she is totally alone, so her obsession and trauma will get worse.
Maybe, if she’s a complete psycho addicted to violence, but the entire point of the ending to Part II is her realizing it’s not worth it. Her family is gone, her fingers are gone, and for what? Realizing she should let Abby go?

Having her go back for Abby again makes all of that pointless. Just ignoring everything that comes before to **subvert expectations** creates a sort of cognitive dissonance that pisses people off. TLOU Part II has a very clear, almost too on the nose message: vengeance comes at a cost, and the price you pay isn’t worth it. Ellie realizes that at the end. She wouldn’t do it again

Last edited:

cripterion

I would be totally ok for a third game with a whole new cast of people as I'm sure Neil will find a way to connect it to the previous stories, with references or cameos to surviving characters.
I'd also ike to see an evolution of the virus though, to keep things fresh. They could continue to improve on human combat AI to further the gameplay.

Top Bottom