• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2's graphics (no spoilers)

gears-5-marcus-featured.jpg

Shmunter

Yeah... Looks like it's only you, especially if no one liked your status for over an hour now. At least I post things for a discussion, not empty blanket statements like you just did. (And now I'm guilty of it too, by even responding to your useless post).
Sorry just woke up from a deep sleep, did I miss anything?

Keihart

Amazing isn't it that people can't stick to the topic.

Page after page i'm seeing Gears 5, Hellblade, A Plague Tale screenshots among others and very little focus on the titled game.
well, it's hard to discuss the topic when we can't show or discuss anything directly from the leak.}

I posted a cropped screenshot and got a warning and the post erased, mind you, i wasn't even talking about the graphics but an easter egg.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Naughty Dog games are sort of like racing games in the sense that theres very little world that has to be rendered. Games dont get any more linear than a Naughty Dog games, other than side-scrollers
Linear but TLOU 2 is considered wide linear by the devs. There's a lot of bigger areas than in the 1st game

well, it's hard to discuss the topic when we can't show or discuss anything directly from the leak.}

I posted a cropped screenshot and got a warning and the post erased, mind you, i wasn't even talking about the graphics but an easter egg.
Youtube is filled with hands-on demo gameplay from game journalists a few months back. That can be used to discuss the game's graphics.
Obviously taking from the final (leaked) game's visuals is a no-no as outlined by the mods and cannot be used here as there is a dedicated spoiler thread for that.

The thread title should be renamed at this point because all i'm seeing is the proverbial pissing match every page in this thread. It's console warrior city in here.

Tripolygon

Banned
Naughty Dog games are sort of like racing games in the sense that theres very little world that has to be rendered. Games dont get any more linear than a Naughty Dog games, other than side-scrollers
What is it with Sony games that make people make up bs names and definitions for them. First Driveclub was called a corridor racer and now Uncharted is like a racing game? TLOU 1 and Uncharted 4 are wide linear, the part forward is linear but each level is wide and open. No game renders more than what is in your field of view and visible, doesn't matter how big the world is. Aggressive frustum and occlusion culling and LODs are used in all games to reduce render load. What makes a game look good are Art Direction and Technical Prowess to be able to make the art look good not if the game is linear or open world. A game like Breath of the wild lacks in polygonal detail but the art direction is gorgeous. Another misconception you made is side scrolling does not mean linear level, a game can be a side scroller but the level design can be open and branching.

Take Uncharted Madagascar for instance. This is one of the levels that make up Madagascar but you only ever see what is rendered in front of you during normal gameplay.
anthony-vaccaro-vaccaroanthony-uncharted4-madagascar-01.jpg

Then look at lost legacy which is even wider than uncharted 4.
anthony-vaccaro-vaccaroanthony-unchartedll-whesternghats-01.jpg

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

What is it with Sony games that make people make up bs names and definitions for them. First Driveclub was called a corridor racer and now Uncharted is like a racing game? TLOU 1 and Uncharted 4 are wide linear, the part forward is linear but each level is wide and open. No game renders more than what is in your field of view and visible, doesn't matter how big the world is. Aggressive frustum and occlusion culling and LODs are used in all games to reduce render load. What makes a game look good are Art Direction and Technical Prowess to be able to make the art look good not if the game is linear or open world. A game like Breath of the wild lacks in polygonal detail but the art direction is gorgeous. Another misconception you made is side scrolling does not mean linear level, a game can be a side scroller but the level design can be open and branching.

Take Uncharted Madagascar for instance. This is one of the levels that make up Madagascar but you only ever see what is rendered in front of you during normal gameplay.
anthony-vaccaro-vaccaroanthony-uncharted4-madagascar-01.jpg

Then look at lost legacy which is even wider than uncharted 4.
anthony-vaccaro-vaccaroanthony-unchartedll-whesternghats-01.jpg
Very true, you can always tell when people haven't experienced certain games by the stuff they say. I remember someone saying TLOU didn't have that much gameplay 😂

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Gears of War has always been a graphically impressive franchise. I remember seeing a trailer for Gears of War 2 on GameTrailers back in 2008, the day after I bought a PlayStation 3. I thought to myself, "I'm definitely getting this game," but then I looked at the information listed below the video and realized that it was for the Xbox 360; I was disappointed but assured myself that I would get an Xbox 360 by the time that the game would be released, and I did so - early enough to play Gears of War 1 to catch up with the story of the franchise. The first game looked great but the second one was on another level, especially the part in which you're on a massive terrestrial vehicle that's part of a convoy moving through a mountainous valley swarming with Locusts that are on the ground, on giant troll-like beasts, and on flying creatures called Reavers. The texture detail, pixel density, and color saturation and variety were mindblowing. However, I haven't played any other entries in the franchise because the gameplay is boring due to simple enemy AI, limited gameplay variety, and a cheesy story and characters. Also the most visually impressive game of that generation wound up being Killzone 2, in my opinion.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
As someone who refuses to watch any spoilers... How does the game look graphically in comparison to say, the E3 2018 demo gameplay? Same? Close? Better?

I'm talking about this footage

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You know, in the trailer above, Abby doesn't look any more muscular than Sarah Connor in Terminator 2.

220px-Sarah_Connor_%28Linda_Hamilton%29.jpg

Did Naughty Dog change her character model? She looks thicker in the leaked footage.

Mmmmmm if it's like part one thts not saying much. Restricture world with tons of invisible barriers and repetitive combat. Thts why I didn't bother to finish it.

I got bored, I appreciated what they were trying to do and they did an awesome job on the graphics and sound but I just couldn't get into it.

People that keep talking up Hellblade, yes it looked good but you rarely had more than one character on screen at a time (at least the part I played) and there wasn't a whole lot going on in the environment either.

Gears 5's models when not in cut scenes don't look especially good, people keep posting cut scene shots of them. Honestly I think the graphics in that game are average, the sacrifices made for 60fps are pretty obvious. I think Lara Croft from the 2013 current gen remake looks better than Kait, hell an NPC from Days Gone has more detail in her face.

The characters in Gears look good, but the art style the game has is pretty much going to always make them look worse compared to games that aim for photo realistic characters.

Also, just edit your posts and add stuff rather than multiposting.

I was trying to but it wouldn't let me edit them, it said my 5 minutes was up and I don't have a delete option.

Gears models faces are lacking in any real detail or features, they look like toys. Kait in particular looks pretty bad.

Last edited:

Three

ND is famous for such details, kudos for them, but at the end of the day, does it really bring anything to the table, to the gameplay? Would people even noticed them if ND didn't point it out in their interviews?
Does a more detailed model? What are we talking about here? You said technically impressive. Is tetris technically impressive?

ZywyPL

Banned
Does a more detailed model? What are we talking about here? You said technically impressive. Is tetris technically impressive?

I cannot call impressive something I cannot see or is barely there. Those wet clothes that had occasion to show up few times within entire game and vanished almost instantly doesn't have any impact on the entire game, which looked good, but nothing mind blowing.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

I just got Days Gone last week (along with Death Stranding and God of War), but I've sampled only a bit of it because I haven't had much time to play games.

I was blown away by its graphics, because the environment is very detailed (the LOD is very dense); however, I found the character models to be only decent and therefore I find your photos to be shocking. Are your photos truly in game?

Also, I'm shocked that Gears 5's character models look so poor; they seem to be constructed of low resolution textures and substandard numbers of geometric shapes.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I just got Days Gone last week (along with Death Stranding and God of War), but I've sampled only a bit of it because I haven't had much time to play games.

I was blown away by its graphics, because the environment is very detailed (the LOD is very dense); however, I found the character models to be only decent and therefore I find your photos to be shocking. Are your photos truly in game?

Also, I'm shocked that Gears 5's character models look so poor; they seem to be constructed of low resolution textures and substandard numbers of geometric shapes.
It's a 60 FPS game on the base consoles, which I guess played some role. I've find it impressive for 60FPS, but not as an absolute "impressive looking game"...

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Eh, I can't zoom in. So, since I'm on my phone and away from my desktop, I can't get a good look at the comparison images.
Those pictures are there below that slider bullshit, or well I don't know how mobile site looks like. I am pretty hard at work as a programmer and so, I will ask @everyone to help post those screens.

GUYS, HELLO?!

pawel86ck

Banned
MS was great at its time, especially the vehicle destruction was impressive, I give you that, , but UC1 was nothing special technically, and HS, as much as I loved the game, had serious framerate issues, it was basically sub-30FPS game, so not a good example.
MANY games on PS3 / X360 were constantly diping below 30fps, and when it comes to graphics quality heavenly sworld was indeed showing what CELL was capable of. Very detalied character models (especially faces), insane amount of characters on the screen (especially during the last battle), long draw distance with beautiful vistas, and dynamic shadows everywhere. I think game was extremely impressive from technical perspective regardless of performance problems.

When it comes to Uncharted 1 I have played Crysis 1 on PC just before it (in almost max settings on 8800 Ultra), so I wasnt totally blown away with the uncharted 1 graphics like maybe PS3 players who werent gaming on PC, but considering what was available on PS3 I think uncharted 1 graphics was indeed very good (especially textures quality with specular mapping, beautiful water, and vast vegetation) and I remember many people were praising it. Below you can see for how many things Cell SPUs were used in this game:

page 35, 36, 38, 39, 49

Uncharted 2/3, and especially TLOU1 looked even better, but still uncharted 1 was clearly benefiting from Cell.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
MANY games on PS3 / X360 were constantly diping below 30fps, and when it comes to graphics quality heavenly sworld was indeed showing what CELL was capable of. Very detalied character models (especially faces), insane amount of characters on the screen (especially during the last battle), long draw distance with beautiful vistas, and dynamic shadows everywhere. I think game was extremely impressive from technical perspective regardless of performance problems.

When it comes to Uncharted 1 I have played Crysis 1 on PC just before it (in almost max settings on 8800 Ultra), so I wasnt totally blown away with the uncharted 1 graphics like maybe PS3 players who werent gaming on PC, but considering what was available on PS3 I think uncharted 1 graphics was indeed very good (especially textures quality with specular mapping, beautiful water, and vast vegetation) and I remember many people were praising it. Below you can see for how many things Cell SPUs were used in this game:

page 35, 36, 38, 39, 49

Uncharted 2/3, and especially TLOU1 looked even better, but still uncharted 1 was clearly benefiting from Cell.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, my own opinion, man. I wasn't impressed by UC1 at all and not even a million posts and tech breakdowns won't change it. And KZ2 for instance it still the only (?) game that had actual wing physics, or blood clotting, where most/all other devs can't even get to blood colour right, ragdoll/bullet impact, the particle explosions, gun models and reload animations, and so on, over a decade later still very few games matched just some of its aspects, let alone surpassed it. But like I said - it's just my opinion.

Hobbygaming

As someone who refuses to watch any spoilers... How does the game look graphically in comparison to say, the E3 2018 demo gameplay? Same? Close? Better?

I'm talking about this footage

It's hard to compare them right now because this scene was at night and the leaked gameplay is during the day

How does it look on PC at 4K with max settings?
I played at 4k and ultrawide on my pc, and it's beyond impressive. With a game that looks so good, with so many details everywhere, and can run over 100fps on max settings, is literally the definition of impressive. I'll take optimization over everything, especially on a game that dips below 30fps.

Oh yeah I took them in photo mode, here's one that's just a screen without going through photo mode, there is a slight blur because there always is when a character is moving.

eLEdkEf.jpg

Temp0

Banned
this looks next gen

these are not gameplay screenshots though. This is a cutscene.

I gave in after being spoiled already and watched some of the gameplay in the forest. How are Naughty Dog pulling these visuals off on a console that's been out for almost 7 years blows my mind

Are we talking about the same video?

that video was very blurry and low res. It wasn’t crisp or sharp. I don’t get why this would blow your mind? It’s way too blurry.
I think it looked good, but that’s it.
do you maybe have a high res GAMEPLAY Screenshot? Not a bullshot. Not cutscene or anything like that. A true ingame gameplay screenshot?

maybe post it in the spoiler thread. Would love to see that, but based on the blurry videos, I’m not impressed at all.

Top Bottom