• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC Performance Thread

nikos

Usually at over 100 FPS maxed out with FSR enabled. Haven't messed with any settings yet. 3840x1600 9900k/4090

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Just reached New Atlantis, so a pretty bustling area. Still have yet to drop below ~65 fps, maxed out settings at native 4k.

Ryzen 7 7700x CPU
XFX Merc 310 Radeon 7900 XTX GPU
32 GB G.Skill Trident DDR5 @ 6000mhz
2TB WD_BLACK SN850X SSD
77" LG C2 OLED 4K TV

No stuttering or anything to be seen either. It's been rock solid for me.

ebevan91

I have a 9700k and a 3070TI and I'm getting a solid 60fps @ 4k resolution with FSR on. Sure it's a little blurry but it's damn smooth so far. I got the game installed on an M2 drive and everything loads so quickly.

Last edited:

Kacho

All settings maxed at 3440x1440p on a 4070ti and performance is mostly fine. May need to drop a few settings to get more consistent performance but I’ll tool with that tomorrow.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Posted in other topic:
Just wanted to post my performance so far.

PC = 6800 with 7600X 32GB RAM. Playing with everything on high (except Motion Blur set to off) and I've getting low to mid 60fps playing at 1440p. I have FSR2 and VSync turned on too.

Indoors is generally higher. Just got to New Atlantis and it was raining and the framerate went to mid to low 50s.

twilo99

All settings maxed at 3440x1440p on a 4070ti and performance is mostly fine. May need to drop a few settings to get more consistent performance but I’ll tool with that tomorrow.

Seems like they went with something not visually "stunning" but it does run alright on a wide range of hardware

How many FPS are you getting with your setup?

These annoying users at my job can kindly fuck off now. I want to log off work and start playing 🤬

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
ok, i dont understand how FSR scaling works in this game. there is no option for quality or performance. so what do i do?

use the ingame scaler? I have it 62% with FSR enabled at 4k. is that 1440p internal resolution? or does it go to 1440p then use FSR quality on it or 1080p?

i am getting 60 fps indoors on a 3080 i7-11700k 32 GB and roughly 45-55 fps outdoors on high.

5900x
32 gb ram
No fsr, max everything, 1440p

Cave, opening area, was 120 fps vsynced. Inside the base after the cave as low as 75 fps. Turned off after so I can get up early to play more.

Last edited:

Kacho

How many FPS are you getting with your setup?

These annoying users at my job can kindly fuck off now. I want to log off work and start playing 🤬
Indoors I’ll hit 144, outdoors it hovers around 70ish. I get occasional big drops that are no bueno. A YouTuber said he had the same experience on his 3080 and dropped his settings to high to fix it. Gonna try that tomorrow.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
5950X
32GB 3600
Desktop set to 1440p resolution (4K screen)

EVKsuKB.png

Solid 60fps and decent graphics.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Everything set to ultra, getting 90+ fps indoors, 60-70 out doors. Couple spots make it dip below 60 though. I might try to optimize the settings better later, but for the most part it runs very smooth.

SlimySnake

Everything set to ultra, getting 90+ fps indoors, 60-70 out doors. Couple spots make it dip below 60 though. I might try to optimize the settings better later, but for the most part it runs very smooth.
4090? What resolution?

Sleepwalker

ok, i dont understand how FSR scaling works in this game. there is no option for quality or performance. so what do i do?

use the ingame scaler? I have it 62% with FSR enabled at 4k. is that 1440p internal resolution? or does it go to 1440p then use FSR quality on it or 1080p?

i am getting 60 fps indoors on a 3080 i7-11700k 32 GB and roughly 45-55 fps outdoors on high.
Man, I would recommend just downloadimg the DLSS 2 mod and enjoy the game.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Whew, the performance is pretty rough, but I compared to Xbox and it looks better on PC. Anyone know how to make it lock to 30fps on an AMD? I can handle a set 30fps but the inconsistency is an issue.

Sleepwalker

Whew, the performance is pretty rough, but I compared to Xbox and it looks better on PC. Anyone know how to make it lock to 30fps on an AMD? I can handle a set 30fps but the inconsistency is an issue.
As per google:

AMD FRTC (Frame Rate Target Control), an embedded feature in the AMD Radeon Driver Software, allows you to lock frame rate in a game. It is very easy to limit FPS via AMD FRTC. You just need to open AMD Radeon Settings > click Global Settings > enable Frame Rate Target Control > Set the FPS limit

SlimySnake

Man, I would recommend just downloadimg the DLSS 2 mod and enjoy the game.
Just saw it. Downloaded the mod but the installation instructions had me download a couple of other files so i said fuck it for now. Will try tomorrow.

But again, how do i ensure I’m getting dlss quality and not performance?

Also where is the hdr option? I have it enabled in windows but don’t see it in display settings.

Sleepwalker

Just saw it. Downloaded the mod but the installation instructions had me download a couple of other files so i said fuck it for now. Will try tomorrow.

But again, how do i ensure I’m getting dlss quality and not performance?

Also where is the hdr option? I have it enabled in windows but don’t see it in display settings.
I have a bit of an unrelated question, did your friend get premium edition for his 7800X3D? I havent bothered redeeming mine cause I thought it was standard

Re HDR: there's no setting for it in the game at all, apparently it just takes the windows one lol.

As for the DLSS mod setting, not sure yet. I downloaded it but dont have the game unlocked.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
4090/13700K/32GO DDR5@6200MHz/Firecuda 530 Gen4 @4K and I'm in the 50s/low 60s more often than anything else.
I need to be in 1440p (native for my display) to get 70+FPS in New Atlantis (full ultra of course, no shitty FSR).

Also:

They really fucked the release for Nvidia users.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
As per google:

AMD FRTC (Frame Rate Target Control), an embedded feature in the AMD Radeon Driver Software, allows you to lock frame rate in a game. It is very easy to limit FPS via AMD FRTC. You just need to open AMD Radeon Settings > click Global Settings > enable Frame Rate Target Control > Set the FPS limit
But that changes it for all games, so I'll have to change it any time I switch away from Starfield.

sendit

Every setting set to max/ultra:

~80-100+ FPS @ 3440 x 1440 (ultra wide)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 7 5800X (OC to 4.5)
32G DDR4
Sabrent Rocket Plus 4TB M.2

Wish this game shipped with DLSS3

Last edited:
4090/13700K/32GO DDR5@6200MHz/Firecuda 530 Gen4 @4K and I'm in the 50s/low 60s more often than anything else.
I need to be in 1440p (native for my display) to get 70+FPS in New Atlantis (full ultra of course, no shitty FSR).

Also:

They really fucked the release for Nvidia users.

If AMD really paid Bethesda and Microsoft to fuck this game on Nvidia there's going to be hell to pay on release day. Nvidia is the one who has 90% of the market, if it only runs well on 10% of the gaming PC's on Steam there's gonna be a LOT of refunds coming.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
any steam deck performance?
I played about 45min on Deck. Initially it crashed while loading a save file. There was a notification for a Deck update that had “fixed GPU crash in Starfield” in the notes. Did the update and it crashed on open. Then I switched it to Proton Experimental and now it functions correctly.

As for the performance: On lowest settings it ran ok on a mission and in space, but upon entering New Atlantis it runs 20-25fps the majority of the time. So I’d say it’s not playable in the more demanding areas.

You’re better off streaming it if you want to play on Deck.

Last edited:

Crayon

Okay this thread is making me want to buy it. They are bundling it with 6600xt's so they are confident it runs well. I have a 6600xt so I'm curious about how well it would run. I obviously want to play the game too, but I was planning on waiting.

Anyone got bug reports? Crashes? Random nightmare faces?

EDMIX

6950 XT
i5 13600k
32GB DDR5

...I'm sure I'll be ok lol

I have a few other PCs, but I don't see me playing it on em. A build with a 1070 Titan card, an older work PC with a HD 5770 and another with a 5970 as well as a new build I'm doing with a 4090.

So...at most I'll play it on 2 builds, I might do the second playthrough on the 4090 build when thats complete

Serious question: Anyone capping the game to 30 fps on PC? I don't mind playing at 30 fps on consoles (especially in third person) as long as it's super smooth and has perfect frame pacing, which rarely seems to be the case on PC making it pretty painful.

So, has anyone tried it?

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Serious question: Anyone capping the game to 30 fps on PC? I don't mind playing at 30 fps on consoles (especially in third person) as long as it's super smooth and has perfect frame pacing, which rarely seems to be the case on PC making it pretty painful.

So, has anyone tried it?
will cap to 30 once i get the game for console feel on PC

mansoor1980

Gold Member
fps fluctuate a lot in this game , is it confirmed that AMD gpus give better results than nvidia here

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Don't have the game yet, but curious how my rig will do

7800X3D
32Gb RAM
2tb SSD Samsung 990 Pro
Monitor is 1440p @ 165hz

It may not be well optimised compared to other AAA games but this is seriously the first time I've played a Bethesda game without crazy frame drops in the cities and I've been playing since Morrowind. Maybe they have improved the engine a bit or maybe my 7800x3d just brute forces things but I'm very happy with the performance. On my old 3900x and 2070s I could get Skyrim and Fallout 4 to drop below 60fps and more like 30fps in places for Fallout but this is stable so far. To be fair my min fps went up by 3 to 4 times with the 7800x3d in Fallout so maybe not Bethesda doing any improvements but the 3D cache just overpowering the jank.

1440p native so no FSR junk otherwise all max settings on a 7800x3d & 4080 gives 65-100 fps in cities and 120-140 fps indoors. There are load points all over but they are 1-4 seconds so far on a gen 4 NVME.

Some stuff looks shit even on max settings (foliage and the non talky NPCS) but surprising beautiful for a Bethesda game too. I'm sure this old engine is bursting at the seams but if it's what it takes to get Mass Effect meets Oblivion I'll take it.

Last edited:

Bojji

LOL, zero optimization for Nvidia.

The best thing that this is 1080p, this game doesn't have any RT, Lumen (or any form of GI), Nanite etc. NOTHING that justifies this performance, even SSR is absent just ancient cube map reflections.

What the fuck Bethesda?

winjer

LOL, zero optimization for Nvidia.

The best thing that this is 1080p, this game doesn't have any RT, Lumen (or any form of GI), Nanite etc. NOTHING that justifies this performance, even SSR is absent just ancient cube map reflections.

What the fuck Bethesda?

Maybe nvidia can release some optimized drivers for the game.
AMD released yesterday a set of drivers that increased performance by 16%.
If nvidia does the same, it will almost bring parity.

Top Bottom