• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC Performance Thread

GHG

Gold Member
t6RmhDg.png

So Nvidia users get screwed on more way than one.

Thank god for that DLSS mod.

Kikorin

I don't play on PC since ages ago, can someone tell me if with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 64GB ram and a Nvidia GTX 1080 I could play it decently? (1080p, medium settings maybe?). Thanks.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

It really doesnt look that good. Lots of material's are just flat.

And the lines/text in the game remind of cyberphunk. It looks cheap..

Last edited:
So I gave the DLSS mod a whirl and it doesn't make a difference to my FPS compared to FSR2 from what I can see. If anything, I feel that the game looks a bit blurrier than FSR2. I'm thinking that maybe I have missed something when installing the mod but the interface shows up well and DLSS is an option, so who knows...

What's interesting is that on my 3080 10GB I'm seeing 99% GPU utilisation and only around 35% CPU (i7 12700K) at 1440p medium settings after the part where you create your character and walk outside. I'm still getting between 60-85fps which is great but I'm assuming this will tank when I hit the city.

Any ETA on Nvidia drivers for this? Looking at the graph above, I'm thinking that optimised drivers should hopefully close the absolutely ridiculous gap between the 7900XTX and 4090. There is absolutely no fucking way the 7900XTX should be outperforming the 4090.

Edit: Just checked and DRS was on at 62% which was weird. Turned that off and it obviously fixed the blurred image quality and now frames are between 60-85 at the same point of the game with high settings.

Last edited:

Bojji

Maybe nvidia can release some optimized drivers for the game.
AMD released yesterday a set of drivers that increased performance by 16%.
If nvidia does the same, it will almost bring parity.

We will see but I doubt any major differences will happen.

Behold the mighty Creation Engine

LMAO

Game looks not that much better than F4 but runs like some new UE5 title. What the fuck they are calculating here on GPU? I have the same question for FFXVI, both games look last gen but are performance hogs.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It may not be well optimised compared to other AAA games but this is seriously the first time I've played a Bethesda game without crazy frame drops in the cities and I've been playing since Morrowind. Maybe they have improved the engine a bit or maybe my 7800x3d just brute forces things but I'm very happy with the performance. On my old 3900x and 2070s I could get Skyrim and Fallout 4 to drop below 60fps and more like 30fps in places for Fallout but this is stable so far. To be fair my min fps went up by 3 to 4 times with the 7800x3d in Fallout so maybe not Bethesda doing any improvements but the 3D cache just overpowering the jank.

1440p native so no FSR junk otherwise all max settings on a 7800x3d & 4080 gives 65-100 fps in cities and 120-140 fps indoors. There are load points all over but they are 1-4 seconds so far on a gen 4 NVME.

Some stuff looks shit even on max settings (foliage and the non talky NPCS) but surprising beautiful for a Bethesda game too. I'm sure this old engine is bursting at the seams but if it's what it takes to get Mass Effect meets Oblivion I'll take it.
You have a 7800X3D and a 4080, you better damn well not have severe drops so don't be surprised.

What we should be looking at is lower CPU's than this since most aren't on the high end. I know since I have the same CPU. It's good to read but it's one of the best CPU's for gaming there is.

winjer

Gold Member
Game looks not that much better than F4 but runs like some new UE5 title. What the fuck they are calculating here on GPU? I have the same question for FFXVI, both games look last gen but are performance hogs.

This gen is becoming a huge disappointment. Games are pushing the hardware hard, but without the respective jump in quality.
Even games using UE5 are seeing this problem. Immortals of Aveum and Remnant 2 push the hardware hard, but don't look nearly has good to justify the performance.
Also, upscaling, which was up until recently just a nice extra to have, is not being used by devs to improve performance, instead of doing proper optimization of their games.

Last edited:

Bojji

This gen is becoming a huge disappointment. Games are pushing the hardware hard, but without the respective jump in quality.
Even games using UE5 are seeing this problem. Immortals of Aveum and Remnant 2 push the hardware hard, but don't look nearly has good to justify the performance.
Also, upscaling, which was up until recently just a nice extra to have, is not being used by devs to improve performance, instead of doing proper optimization of their games.

Exactly, every new game is released without any optimization pass.

Looks like SDR and HDR is broken in this game, amazing...

This studio is just a bunch of incompetent fucks, even with MS money.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

On previous generations of PC games, with high level API's, many devs making games for PC were also slacking off on the optimization front.
But because games were using a high level API, vendors like AMD and NVidia were able to optimize games with their drivers.
There were games that would get 20-40% performance improvements just from driver updates.
But today, with DX12 and Vulkan a lot of power is placed in the devs hands. But because most don't give a crap about optimization on PC games, and venders can't do as much to optimize the game with their drivers, the result is low performance.
It's a miracle that AMD managed to get 16% extra performance with their drivers. And NVidia and Intel will probably manage to do the same. But it's not enough to make up the diference.

manlisten

5800X3D & 4070, playing at 3440x1440 and barely maintaining 60fps in New Atlantis. High preset with FSR enabled. ngl, a bit disappointed.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
5800X3D
3080 FE
32GB DDR4 3600
GEN.4 ssd
4K LG CX with FSR2

In short, a decent setup.

Boy the IQ with FSR2 is rough and FPS is unstable. CPU is clearly a bottleneck. Game crashed 4 times on alt-tab, cursor bug from Skyrim is back. Colors are cleary broken both in SDR and (faux)HDR. Was DF even looking at this game? To date, their most useless video.

But hey, raw input, finally.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Looks like SDR and HDR is broken in this game, amazing...

This studio is just a bunch of incompetent fucks, even with MS money.

What a shit show. I think HDR didn't exist when they started working on this game.

5800X3D
3080 FE
32GB DDR4 3600
GEN.4 ssd
4K LG CX with FSR2

In short, a decent setup.

Boy the IQ with FSR2 is rough and FPS is unstable. CPU is clearly a bottleneck. Game crashed 4 times on alt-tab, cursor bug from Skyrim is back. Colors are cleary broken both in SDR and (faux)HDR. Was DF even looking at this game? To date, their most useless video.

But hey, raw input, finally.
This is interesting. I’m finding that early on, I’m GPU limited. My CPU is sitting around 40% utilisation.

NeonDelta

have you tried with the DLSS2 mod yet or is that without?
Not yet. Only had an hour before work. im playing on ultra preset 1440p and with fsr2. Haven’t changed any settings.

40 to 60 outside on first main mission after being in space
60 to 80 inside during the first main mission after being in space
50 fps in space

CPU usage 25 percent
Gpu usage 99 percent

havent got to a city yet so probably tank on ultra when I do.

Last edited:

Nihilum

The visuals go from looking great to outdated very quickly. The framerate seems to be all over the place too on a 2080TI. Yes it's an older card, but it's still fairly powerful for rasterization. I'm running the DLSS mod which doesn't really help framerate much, FSR and DLSS are about the same for me. Kinda disappointed but hey hopefully patches will improve performance in future or performance mods.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The visuals go from looking great to outdated very quickly. The framerate seems to be all over the place too on a 2080TI. Yes it's an older card, but it's still fairly powerful for rasterization. I'm running the DLSS mod which doesn't really help framerate much, FSR and DLSS are about the same for me. Kinda disappointed but hey hopefully patches will improve performance in future or performance mods.
Yeah, same with DLSS.

(nice avatar, my fellow fremen)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
We will see but I doubt any major differences will happen.

Fallout 4???

From someone who has played the game, it looks MILES better than fallout 4!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Maybe nvidia can release some optimized drivers for the game.
AMD released yesterday a set of drivers that increased performance by 16%.
If nvidia does the same, it will almost bring parity.
They released the drivers one week ago and they already make a 10-13 frames difference.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have a bit of an unrelated question, did your friend get premium edition for his 7800X3D? I havent bothered redeeming mine cause I thought it was standard

Re HDR: there's no setting for it in the game at all, apparently it just takes the windows one lol.

As for the DLSS mod setting, not sure yet. I downloaded it but dont have the game unlocked.
No he got the standard code from amd. He bought the premium edition which we cannot gameshare because Microsoft disabled it on steam.

SyberWolf

performance is terrible, FSR 75% resolution scale so upscaled from 1440p i guess? "4K" barely 60-80 fps
7800x3d and rtx4080
what a joke

StueyDuck

how difficult (or possible) is installing the DLSS mod on the Xbox app (gamepass) on PC, because these performance metrics are actually quite shocking i wasn't expecting this bad and it seems DLSS will save the day, also is that cunt still expecting us to pay for it?

i mean a 3080 at 1440p and it's barely over 30fps, that's mental.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member

from what I heard this works better than Puredark and has no reshade dependency. Can someone test them both and see if thats true?
I've tested them both and both are blurry injections without a proper ML data. Stick with FSR2.

Planetside, the performance is atrocious. CP2077 with DLSS and RT did way better than Starfield during the first fight with pirates here. Jesus. FPS constantly dips below 30 and the frame-pacing is not great on 3080.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
4090/13700K/32GO DDR5@6200MHz/Firecuda 530 Gen4 @4K and I'm in the 50s/low 60s more often than anything else.
I need to be in 1440p (native for my display) to get 70+FPS in New Atlantis (full ultra of course, no shitty FSR).
Yeah, I'm at 1440p with a little DLSS to help (thanks DLSS mod). Framerates can be a little erratic in spots in this game but it's mostly smooth.

This is a game that would/will benefit from frame gen a lot. People who shit on Creation Engine are probably feeling pretty vindicated; the bugs are under control, and the assets are beautiful, but the tech itself feels really dated.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yeah, they have additional few days to deal with most glaring issues that would otherwise cause the flood of negative reviews on steam.
But can they fix them?

tiles, ia, space exploration and no minimap seems like core aspect of the game.

At best the game is gonna run a bit better maybe? they had like 9 months just for polish, 5 days are not gonna change much i think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom