• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC Performance Thread

GymWolf

Gold Member
Last edited:
Performance is shit for a 7950x3d and 4090…what a fail.
what kind of performance are you getting?

i have 7950x3d and 4080. i'm playing at 1440p with everything up at max except motion blur. i don't have FSR on so the game is rendering at native 1440p. i'm getting mostly 60-90fps. it can go to 100-140fps but not for long. i'm quite happy with the performance but i might enable FSR or do the DLSS mod to try boost the fps up a little higher.

this is the first game i've seen use more than 8 cores. i had to tell Game Bar that it was a game (lol) so it would move onto the 3D cores but when i got to the city some of the frequency cores started getting used too.

the game is using up to 17.2GB RAM and 6-7GB VRAM. CPU was mostly at 60-65C (peaked at 74C but that was more during loading screens) and my GPU never went past 54C and that was running at 100%

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Dunno, but by the time the beta testing period ends on the 6th, hopefully it'll run better with community fixes or some beth patches. I am a patient man but I am keeping an eye out on fixes and stuff, just in case.
The problem with DLSS, for really good work of it you need to actually feed the algorithm with ML data from the side of the engine directly.

Any injection is basically closer to FSR1 at this point.

And yeah, the state of a PC version performance is rough. Kinda miss my $100. Imagine this game 1 year ago.

b0uncyfr0

To any 6600xt/6650xt owners - what settings are you using to get 60 fps at 1440p?

Guessing a majority of the settings are at medium with some at High?

OverHeat

« generous god »
what kind of performance are you getting?

i have 7950x3d and 4080. i'm playing at 1440p with everything up at max except motion blur. i don't have FSR on so the game is rendering at native 1440p. i'm getting mostly 60-90fps. it can go to 100-140fps but not for long. i'm quite happy with the performance but i might enable FSR or do the DLSS mod to try boost the fps up a little higher.

this is the first game i've seen use more than 8 cores. i had to tell Game Bar that it was a game (lol) so it would move onto the 3D cores but when i got to the city some of the frequency cores started getting used too.

the game is using up to 17.2GB RAM and 6-7GB VRAM. CPU was mostly at 60-65C (peaked at 74C but that was more during loading screens) and my GPU never went past 54C and that was running at 100%
About the same as you but I’m playing at higher resolution since I play on a ultrawide 1440p monitor but for the way the game look 70-120 is unacceptable for me

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
the missing hdr/sdr any form of gamma adjustment is unbelievable. How did people review this on PC and thought it looked allrite? Are they blind?

Any dark area just looks so washed out.
The whole game looks so washed-out that I've checked my display settings just in case. It's ethier broken or Bethesda went with lazy and shitty desaturation filter. God I hope mods wil dehaze it sooner than later.

the missing hdr/sdr any form of gamma adjustment is unbelievable. How did people review this on PC and thought it looked allrite? Are they blind?

Any dark area just looks so washed out.

It's a shame it has come to this and even ACG who I'd watch has gone downhill when it comes to talking about performance and just brushes any issues aside like its nothing. "runs fine on my 4090 barely above 60 fps" like jesus fuck. steam reviews will murder his game on the 6th.

Feel kinda bad for intel GPU owners...

image.png

5800X3D
3080 FE
32GB DDR4 3600
GEN.4 ssd
4K LG CX with FSR2

In short, a decent setup.

Boy the IQ with FSR2 is rough and FPS is unstable. CPU is clearly a bottleneck. Game crashed 4 times on alt-tab, cursor bug from Skyrim is back. Colors are cleary broken both in SDR and (faux)HDR. Was DF even looking at this game? To date, their most useless video.

But hey, raw input, finally.
Not sure. Seems just like everything is between 25 and 80 no matter how beefy your setup is.
Im' running a 1070 and get 25 to 40 fps at 1440p with 75% scaling FSR2 High preset with some settings reduced

To change FOV in this game:
Create a text file in the “Documents/MyGames/Starfield” folder and name it “StarfieldCustom.ini”
Ad these lines and replace the xx with the value you desire.
Only Steam, or Game Pass Version, too?

But can they fix them?

tiles, ia, space exploration and no minimap seems like core aspect of the game.

At best the game is gonna run a bit better maybe? they had like 9 months just for polish, 5 days are not gonna change much i think.
Most annoying is the same quest marker for all types of quests and the ones you currently doing and can accept.

Last edited:
More worried about mouse performance. Is there any smoothing? Any way to disable it in the menus? Bethesda games are notorious for their horrible mouse support.

Last edited:
Just reached New Atlantis. Framerate is between 40-60fps with 99% GPU and only around 55% CPU. Doesn’t matter if you put settings on low or high, doesn’t make much of a difference. Resolution scaling makes the game blurry as fuck but has a massive impact on the FPS.

DLSS mod doesn’t really change anything either.

Just reached New Atlantis. Framerate is between 40-60fps with 99% GPU and only around 55% CPU. Doesn’t matter if you put settings on low or high, doesn’t make much of a difference. Resolution scaling makes the game blurry as fuck but has a massive impact on the FPS.

DLSS mod doesn’t really change anything either.
what cpu/gpu?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Hmmm.

Not sure my 5900 and 3070 are going to handle this all that well. But better than Series X? Certainly in terms of frame rate.

TheUsual

Gold Member
5800x3d
3070 ti
32GB ram
1440p with FSR on
Kept everything on High except set Shadows and Crowd to Medium
Staying around 65fps except in New Atlantis where I'm hovering around 55fps.

Hope Nvidia drops some drivers soon.

5800x3d
3070 ti
32GB ram
1440p with FSR on
Kept everything on High except set Shadows and Crowd to Medium
Staying around 65fps except in New Atlantis where I'm hovering around 55fps.

Hope Nvidia drops some drivers soon.
nvidia driver (537.13) for starfield has been out a while (22nd august) but i hope a new one comes out with more improvements.

Last edited:
Hmmm.

Not sure my 5900 and 3070 are going to handle this all that well. But better than Series X? Certainly in terms of frame rate.
Interiors you will almost definitely hit 60+fps at 1080/1440p. New Atlantis, expect 30+fps

So yes, it will perform better than Series X but don’t expect much more I guess.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Interiors you will almost definitely hit 60+fps at 1080/1440p. New Atlantis, expect 30+fps

So yes, it will perform better than Series X but don’t expect much more I guess.

Cool. That'll do me. I might still opt for Series X just for the couch play, but god to know the laptop should handle it ok.

Glad to have an AMD CPU given everything being reported.

Last edited:
Cool. That'll do me. I might still opt for Series X just for the couch play, but god to know the laptop should handle it ok.

Glad to have an AMD CPU given everything being reported.
3070 laptop chip? You should still hopefully hit over 60, but you’ll need to turn stuff down to medium and probably adjust the resolution scaling.

If you buy it on the Xbox store you can make use of cross buy/play anywhere.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It is but comments on here are saying it looks worse than FSR
I have not found that to be the case. I'm using the latest 3.5 DLL, and I have all the sharpening off, and it seems to be working as intended.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Exactly, every new game is released without any optimization pass.

Looks like SDR and HDR is broken in this game, amazing...

This studio is just a bunch of incompetent fucks, even with MS money.

I noticed the washed out black colors immediately. Looks really bad in that regard, but colors overall look good.

SCB3

Had a quick 10 mins this morning before work on a Ryzen 3 2600, 32gb RAM and a RX 6650, getting a nice FPS about 45 but I can feel the bottleneck

I do however have a Ryzen 5 5600x coming later today to really test it

Last edited:
Top Bottom