• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield PC Performance Thread

Any benchmarks/reviews that contain performance? I dont care about critic score but I did look at a few PC ones and not a fucking single one talks about how it runs, but their scores are in the low 8/7 which means must be pretty bad.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I7-7800X (Will upgrade in the next few weeks)
48GB RAM (DDR4 2400)
RTX3070
Standard SSD (Will also upgrade to NVME in the next few weeks)

Should run OK (at least until the CPU/SSD) -- will update my post once I have a few hours with it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Having a hard time finding performance reviews. Here's a performance review from Digital Trends(?)...

Based on my benchmarks, it seems the Recommended specs are targeting 4K at 30 fps at the High preset, which renders the game at 62% of its resolution through FSR 2. You could also look at running the game at 1080p with 60 fps at the same graphics preset.

The Minimum specs look as if they’re targeting 1080p at 30 fps, again with FSR 2 enabled. As mentioned, Starfield is clearly designed around FSR 2, and that’s factoring in the system requirements heavily. With the upscaling turned off, you need a much more powerful system to maintain a stable frame rate.
Before digging in, it’s important to point out that I created a worst-case scenario to test graphics cards in Starfield. That meant ignoring FSR 2 and running my benchmarks in the New Atlantis city in the game, where dozens of characters are on-screen. Performance goes up a lot when you enable FSR 2, as I’ll get into later in this section.

For now, you’ll need around an RTX 3070 Ti in order to maintain 60 fps without FSR 2 enabled. The RX 6700 XT is also an option, assuming you turn down a few graphics settings. At up to 1440p, both the RTX 4070 and RTX 3080 scratch 60 fps without fully reaching it, while the RX 6950 XT passes that mark with ease.

It’s 4K where things are really bad, though. Even AMD’s RX 7900 XTX and Nvidia’s RTX 4080 can’t maintain 60 fps at 4K without the help of FSR 2. That only leaves the RTX 4090 as an option to play Starfield at native 4K with all of the settings maxed out.

As mentioned, each of the graphics presets in Starfield automatically turn FSR 2 on. The Ultra preset uses a 75% render resolution, High uses a 62% render resolution, and both Medium and Low use 50%. Those changes have a massive impact on performance.
starfield-benchmarks.jpg

---
This is 4K target res...
starfield-graphics-presets.jpg

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Karak Karak said it ran good but he has a 4090 and barely above 60 on that at 4k, doesnt scream...good to me.
Yeah, that's what this review says.
It’s 4K where things are really bad, though. Even AMD’s RX 7900 XTX and Nvidia’s RTX 4080 can’t maintain 60 fps at 4K without the help of FSR 2. That only leaves the RTX 4090 as an option to play Starfield at native 4K with all of the settings maxed out.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
IGN Performance Review Video...

-Game prebuilds shaders: "once done I never saw a single hiccup or stutter that I could attribute to shader compilation."
-Game has DRS, but it doesn't seem to work, or it's very light. In heavy scene, both DRS 'On' and 'Off' resolved to 4K with identical performance
-6800XT+Ryzen 5600X with a mix of medium settings gets you 1080p/60-ish fps
-Game is too demanding on hardware based on the results on screen

Last edited:
Why are you all paying $100 for the early access edition!!!!

I am so pissed that even if i spend $70 for the game, its still not good enough to play it day one.
You'll still play day one, everyone else is just playing day -5 :messenger_blowing_kiss:

I paid way more than 100...

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
XboxERA Performance Review...
After playing for 10 hours across various different PC’s, Starfield is the most stable Bethesda game I have ever played in terms of errors, bugs, or crashes.

The performance of the game, however, is a different issue. Our review code for the game was given to our wonderful editor Jesse (Read his review on Starfield here!), where he tested the game on a Ryzen 5800x and a Radeon 7900XTX. His performance at native 4k, with every setting cranked up to max at 100% resolution scaling, his performance typically ranged 60-100 FPS. This range encompasses a 100 hour playthrough, mind you. It would dip below 60 into the 50s at times in big cities, however this would still happen very rarely. His experience is what I expected of a GPU that costs almost $1,000 USD.
---
So, why did every Nvidia GPU that I test suffer from framerate issues? I tested the game on an RTX 3060, 3070, 3080 and 3090, and the 3090 was only able to reach between 45-55 FPS in my testing while rendering at 3440×1440 (Ultra, with 100% resolution scaling). While AMD have put out drivers before the launch of Starfield, Nvidia has not. I did not receive any errors while booting up the game on the current latest drivers (537.13), but while testing on older drivers I did receive an error advising me to update. If the next driver update fixes this, I will retest to see if I gain any meaningful performance improvement.
---

• Render Resolution: 75% or lower if you want a more consistent 60 FPS.
  • Shadow Quality: Low/Medium
  • Indirect Lighting: Ultra
  • Reflections: High
  • Particle Quality: High
  • Volumetric Lighting: Low
  • Crowd Density: High
  • Motion Blur: Up to Player
  • GTAO Quality: Ultra
  • Grass Quality: Ultra
  • Contact Shadows: Ultra/High
  • Upscaling: FSR2
  • Enable VRS: On

Last edited:

MikeM

With my 5600, 7900xt and using FSR, 4k 60fps shouldn’t be a problem. Question will be whether to cap it or not…

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
TouchArcade Steam Deck performance...
After dozens of hours on just Steam Deck, Starfield feels good in some parts, but really struggles in the bigger cities. Turning everything to low and enabling FSR2 is basically the only way to play it right now on Valve’s handheld, and even that drops to 20fps often in the first major city (New Atlantis). The game itself can look very good on the device screen in many parts, but it is very CPU-heavy right now. This has been tested after the day one patch as well.

SolidQ

From Pcgameshardware
The processor is not the bottleneck of the test system, it is the graphics card. Starfield places extremely high demands on the performance of the GPU. These are at least comparable to current games with Unreal Engine 5. Even a cyberpunk - but without overdrive path tracing - is not significantly more demanding. At the latest, Starfield heralds the next generation of graphics cards. The RTX 3080 installed in the PC games test computer (after all, the upper class model of the last Nvidia graphics card series) barely delivers more than 30 fps with maximum details in demanding environments . Full HD! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The best I could do for CPU scaling is using charts from TheTerk's video...

-1080p-No FSR-

3700X+6700XT:
-Medium = 52fps Avg, 33fps 1% Low
-High = 50fps Avg, 31fps 1% Low
-Ultra = 45fps Avg, 31fps 1% Low

5600X+6700XT:
-Medium = 61fps Avg, 43fps 1% Low
-High = 53fps Avg, 40fps 1% Low
-Ultra = 46fps Avg, 35fps 1% Low

At the Medium preset you get a 17% increase in average frame rate, and 30% increase in 1% Lows going from a 3700X to a 5600X. At High and Ultra presets there's only a 6% and 2% increase in average frame rate, respectively. However, there was a 29% and 13% increase in 1% Lows at those presets.

---

At 1440p and 4K the performance difference obviously shrinks as the game becomes more GPU-bound.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
From Pcgameshardware
The processor is not the bottleneck of the test system, it is the graphics card. Starfield places extremely high demands on the performance of the GPU. These are at least comparable to current games with Unreal Engine 5. Even a cyberpunk - but without overdrive path tracing - is not significantly more demanding. At the latest, Starfield heralds the next generation of graphics cards. The RTX 3080 installed in the PC games test computer (after all, the upper class model of the last Nvidia graphics card series) barely delivers more than 30 fps with maximum details in demanding environments . Full HD! :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
This makes no sense since the XSX runs at 1440p 30 fps internal resolution.

Skifi28

Ouch, seems like a bloodbath for nVidia. Glad I didn't preorder, I guess I'll wait for the typical 6+ months for the game to be functional and hopefully performant.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Comparing results from Digital Trends to TheTerk. Not sure of the CPU being used by Digital Trends. TheTerk 1080p result was from a 5600X, 1440p and 4K are from a 7600X. Results are really close, could come down the testing area and/or minor difference in CPU performance.

Digital Trends: 6700XT, Ultra Settings, No FSR
1080p - 51.8fps
1440p - 42.1fps
4K - 26.7fps

TheTerk: 6700XT, Ultra Settings, No FSR
1080p - 46fps
1440p - 39fps
4K - 25fps

---
---
I have a 3700X+4060 Ti, so I'd be looking at High preset, native 1440p for 30fps+. With a CPU upgrade I might be able to do Medium/High mix, FSR2 1440p/60 avg. Yikes.

This game really needed DLSS 2+3.

Comparing results from Digital Trends to TheTerk. Not sure of the CPU being used by Digital Trends. TheTerk 1080p result was from a 5600X, 1440p and 4K are from a 7600X. Results are really close, could come down the testing area and/or minor difference in CPU performance.

Digital Trends: 6700XT, Ultra Settings, No FSR
1080p - 51.8fps
1440p - 42.1fps
4K - 26.7fps

TheTerk: 6700XT, Ultra Settings, No FSR
1080p - 46fps
1440p - 39fps
4K - 25fps

---
---
I have a 3700X+4060 Ti, so I'd be looking at High preset, native 1440p for 30fps+. With a CPU upgrade I might be able to do Medium/High mix, FSR2 1440p/60 avg. Yikes.

This game really needed DLSS 2+3.

Just use FSR in the meantime?

Dzab

seems to be running alright on his rig

This was the first thing I saw when I clicked his stream lol

Edit: Can't get the clip to work. URL works fine if copied and pasted but not sure how to do that here without it automatically embedding.

Last edited:

Garibaldi

I'm see around 58-80 depending on location. I've installed the DLSS mod (65% scale) and got the FOV at 95. Everything maxed except shadows at high.

Opening is quite high frames wise (80-110) then you see quite a big drop after character creation to my observations above.

Not really got very far yet (just got to the second planet) so FPS will no doubt change going forward too.

5950x
64GB @ 3600
3090 FTW3 Ultra
2TB gen 4 m.2
3840x1600 (UW)

I want/ hope 60 minimum with Ultra (shadows and such can drop a bit if required).

Last edited:
RTX 3090
i5 9600K 5GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15
500GB NVMe
LG C9 OLED

I've held off on upgrading my CPU for so long (need a new mobo).

Hoping for max settings 4K@40fps

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
7800x3D
32GB 6000
SN850X 2TB

I frankly don't know what to expect. Hopefully 1440/60 stable without FSR?

Last edited:
Wth, these early pc benchmarks don't look promising at all.

1118219293159600249.webp

edit: Apparently it was a display issue with afterburner on Windows 11 so I've removed the screenshot. The game properly multi threads as seen in this tweet.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So the game run like shit?

Who was the dude that said "this is a bethesda game, you don't a pc ninja" :lollipop_squinting:

I hope that lowering shadows, refletions etc. to medium is gonna be enough for 4k60.

I don't wanna use that filthy fsr...

Top Bottom