• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Set Photos from Australia Show Natalie Portman's Jacked Look for Thor: Love and Thunder

sol_bad

Fill me in. Wasn't Female Thor a very unpopular run? Where nobody liked or asked for FemThor, and Thor was portrayed as a pathetic cuck?

Just so you know, Dacon Dacon likes to throw that single page of Thor around a lot. Keep in mind that Jason Aaron's run on Thor goes for about 100 issues and that single page is not reflective of the entire story. Dacon might return with another page or panel, maybe 2. Still not reflective of the entire story.

I like what i see. She trained everyday for like six months.

DRGV6ICUIAAFPUQ.jpg
tenor.gif

420bits

I can’t wait to hear all the bitching about Thor being a chick despite the hammer allowing a fucking horse and frog to wield the damn thing.

Thor isn't female, the hammer does not make you Thor...BUT, that's when it comes to mythology.

This is a comic where they went another route and fucked everything up and while I do think its bad and really stupid, I don't care about a Thorette as a moviething because again, its not the mythology.

Will watch it but my hopes of this being one of the better marvelmovies is slim to none but I don't see a reason to hate on it for what it is because its a comic and its their story.

Buts that’s the thing now. You don’t have to be ‘anything’ to be a ‘wonder’ woman.

In fact I think the film should have been called non-binary 1984 ;)
That wouldn’t make sense because people in the 80s weren’t stupid enough to try and erase gender. If anything, men embraced being men and women embraced being women.

Thirty7ven

Banned
She is the absolute perfect casting for that role. You want someone exotic and beautiful, not some squat looking muscle head. No offense.

Exotic and beautiful? Yes. Skinny? No.

She doesn’t need to look like Superman, but she should look like an athlete at least, and she doesn’t.

Wonder Woman is supposed to empower women to be strong, the point here isn’t to be wank material for some dude online. There’s a lot of avenues for that already.

Sevenfold

She looks like Bruce Jenner in that pic. Jessica Biel in Blade III is the epitome of believable athelticism:
71XyHqfXXHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

528ba608bd25ca07968bd91ec3794900.jpg
Really good with a bow too :D

Completely unnecessary opinion here...

This is about my limit for a jacked lady. Natalie out of character looks mental all puffed up. Makes me wanna GTFO., but damn I'd want a few hits from JB before I inevitably leg it.

sol_bad

Thor isn't female, the hammer does not make you Thor...BUT, that's when it comes to mythology.

This is a comic where they went another route and fucked everything up and while I do think its bad and really stupid, I don't care about a Thorette as a moviething because again, its not the mythology.

Will watch it but my hopes of this being one of the better marvelmovies is slim to none but I don't see a reason to hate on it for what it is because its a comic and its their story.

The same director as Ragnarok means nothing?

420bits

The same director as Ragnarok means nothing?

I'm not doubting Taikas skills in making the movie, I'm doubting the content in itself for the same reasons I mentioned.
Not the actors or actresses but the story in itself. "You can polish a turd but its still a turd."

But, I'm not gonna shit on the movie without seeing it regardless of how stupid I think Thorette is as a concept, IF this would happen to be the best marvelmovie ever made I gladly admit it, but I doubt it.

Madflavor

She is the absolute perfect casting for that role. You want someone exotic and beautiful, not some squat looking muscle head. No offense.

I wouldn't call it perfect casting. Gal isn't a good actress. WW 2017 worked because she was able to just barely pull off that particular personality of naivety and optimism, while simultaneously having Chris Pine carry the film.

NahaNago

She doesn’t need to look like Superman, but she should look like an athlete at least, and she doesn’t.

Wonder Woman is supposed to empower women to be strong, the point here isn’t to be wank material for some dude online. There’s a lot of avenues for that already.
Yeah, that was my initial complaint with gal gadot as wonder woman . She is just so skinny. For someone trained to be a warrior her whole life how can she look like she can be snapped like a twig. I've grown to like her in the role though since she is charming . I think the biggest thing they need to work on with her is to show that she is a skilled warrior but due to the fact that she is super powered it kind of makes that harder to do.
I wouldn't call it perfect casting. Gal isn't a good actress. WW 2017 worked because she was able to just barely pull off that particular personality of naivety and optimism, while simultaneously having Chris Pine carry the film.
The naivety and optimism threw me off. I was thinking that amazonians are trained to be scholars and warriors so she would have a good understanding of man and war. Plus she is raised by a queen.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Imaginary Lat Syndrome

Imaginary Lat Syndrome is a common case of someone, typically a male, who believes they are rather muscular when in reality this isn't the case. Those with Imaginary Lat Syndrome can typically be seen walking uncomfortably while flaringtheir small lat muscles and tensing their arms in an attempt to look "jacked." In reality, it appears douchey and looks like a toothbrush has been shoved up their ass. Manlets are at high risk of falling victim due to overcompensation reasons.

MaestroMike

Gold Member

I'm willing to bet she has excellent cardio which equals strong heart which is more important in actual fights than mass. Excellent cardio is usually more important than mass in fighting unless your game plan is to try to KO someone with one punch, but if you can't KO them quickly you're going to be in trouble. Excellent cardio and a strong heart is foundational. These superhero movies and their protagonists really give people the wrong idea of how a successful fighter looks like. Tall, lanky, skinny dudes have found a lot of success in the UFC.

Last edited:

Madflavor

The naivety and optimism threw me off. I was thinking that amazonians are trained to be scholars and warriors so she would have a good understanding of man and war. Plus she is raised by a queen.

I think it was the right move to make. 3000 years on the same island, of course she was excited to see the rest of the world.

NahaNago

I think it was the right move to make. 3000 years on the same island, of course she was excited to see the rest of the world.
If she was alive for 3,000 years then she definitely should have not been naive, ignorant of the modern world , sure but not naive. I would have expected a lot of politics and drama on that island. I keep thinking that she should be a wise role model type character considering her age.

Madflavor

If she was alive for 3,000 years then she definitely should have not been naive, ignorant of the modern world , sure but not naive. I would have expected a lot of politics and drama on that island. I keep thinking that she should be a wise role model type character considering her age.

Yeah but she also has a romanticized version of the outside world built in her head. Their only connection to man's world was books, so it's not like they could turn on the five o'clock news to see what things looked like. So again, I can easily see how being stuck on an island for thousands of years with pre conceived notions of what man's world is like, that she would be naive and have wanderlust.

Also technology, politics and nations are constantly changing and progressing in man's world, while the Amazons are still throwing spears, playing harps, and licking each other's boxes as their only means of entertainment. They're still living in the Bronze Age.

NahaNago

Yeah but she also has a romanticized version of the outside world built in her head. Their only connection to man's world was books, so it's not like they could turn on the five o'clock news to see what things looked like. So again, I can easily see how being stuck on an island for thousands of years with pre conceived notions of what man's world is like, that she would be naive and have wanderlust.

Also technology, politics and nations are constantly changing and progressing in man's world, while the Amazons are still throwing spears, playing harps, and licking each other's boxes as their only means of entertainment. They're still living in the Bronze Age.
Wouldn't her view of the world be more of man's world is hopeless and evil since the Amazons gave up on it. The amazon nation always left me with so many questions on their actions and what amazons are capable of. We know they can live for a long time , so everyone there should be masters of martial arts. Do they never spy on the world outside? Are they magical or simply long lived.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Wouldn't her view of the world be more of man's world is hopeless and evil since the Amazons gave up on it. The amazon nation always left me with so many questions on their actions and what amazons are capable of. We know they can live for a long time , so everyone there should be masters of martial arts. Do they never spy on the world outside? Are they magical or simply long lived.

I usually don't like the Amazons, but the movie had my favorite interpretation of them. But in comics I always roll my eyes, especially in Flashpoint and Amazons Attack story arcs where the Amazons attack the world, and the world governments are helpless against them.

I can definitely see how in guerilla warfare, the Amazons would slaughter a few platoons no problem. But a full scale war with the government unleashing the full might of their military? That war would last a week at most.

betrayal

Banned
I mean, at least she's putting some kind of effort in.

Look at "Wonder" Woman.

This effort also has names. Anadrol, oxandrin, dianabol, winstrol, deca etc..

But you can't blame anyone for that. It's Hollywood. You earn good money and you are permanently monitored by doctors.

Dacon

Banned
I usually don't like the Amazons, but the movie had my favorite interpretation of them. But in comics I always roll my eyes, especially in Flashpoint and Amazons Attack story arcs where the Amazons attack the world, and the world governments are helpless against them.

I can definitely see how in guerilla warfare, the Amazons would slaughter a few platoons no problem. But a full scale war with the government unleashing the full might of their military? That war would last a week at most.

I like the idea of the Amazons being a supernatural force that can rival modern military force.

Otherwise they just don't fit in the greater DC universe. They are supernatural beings at heart traditionally.

The military and governments of the world are usually pretty helpless against metahumans in general.

Black Adam alone fought a war against the entire world. Amazons Attack was a poorly written story, but it wasn't because of the power level of the Amazons themselves.

Last edited:

NahaNago

How would they slaughter anything. They are just humans from what we've seen. No super strength, speed, or magical offensive abilities just long life. Plus I doubt they have training for guerilla warfare considering the environment they lived kept showing open plains. I'm still trying to figure out how the gods are smart and powerful enough to make amazons not age and create artifacts that can nearly destroy the world but ares get killed by a girl who just learned how to use her god like abilities. You would think Amazons would have tons of god artifacts that they could use to rule the world considering their relationship with the gods.

Was that golden armor suppose to do anything beside be defensive armor. I didn't think amazons flew so having wings on the armor seems weird.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think Gal Gadot was a great casting choice. I never found myself wondering if that was actually a woman.

Vestal

Gold Member
I think she just look much more jacked because of the angle of the picture.
Won't mind super jacked though. I kinda dig it.
Must be it. But she does remind me of Hemsworth in a sense from Thor 1. Like almost an identical pose/angle picture to one scene from Thor 1.

sol_bad

There are no comic book threads here which is a shame. But for anyone interested, Omar is interviewing Jason Aaron.

It's live right now.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Do people here seriously have a beef with Gal Gadot?? really?? i mean fucking really??? She's insanely beautiful and plays the part perfectly

kunonabi

Do people here seriously have a beef with Gal Gadot?? really?? i mean fucking really??? She's insanely beautiful and plays the part perfectly

She doesn't "play" any part. She just struggles to read dialogue and has a couple of facial expressions she rotates between. She's painfully limited as an actress.

Davey Cakes

My only experience with Gadot's Wonder Woman is BvS and the first WW movie.

She's merely okay in the role. I just don't think "tall and beautiful" cuts it for such an iconic character. A stronger looking person and a better actor would have helped sell it. Gadot can't act.

And no, Gina Carano wouldn't be a good WW either because while she has the muscles she also can't act.

Top Bottom