• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thor: Love and Thunder ⚡ impressions thread (OPEN SPOILERS)

Ulysses 31

I'm 1-2 bad movies away from finally dropping the MCU.
Everything after End Game has been rather shit. Out of all the new movies I only liked Shang Chi and even that one goes to shit in the final act.
I'm curious how many people can take a 1-2 punch like MoM and L&T and not call it quits. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Wakanda Forever better be damn good.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm 1-2 bad movies away from finally dropping the MCU.
Everything after End Game has been rather shit. Out of all the new movies I only liked Shang Chi and even that one goes to shit in the final act.

If they want to make a comedy that's fine by me.
But at least make it funny. I can't think of a single scene or line in this thing that was actually funny, it's one lame joke after another non stop.

Though admittedly, yeah, even framing it as a comedy it still needs at least a few serious parts, like Guardians of the Galaxy or Suicide Squad.

Totally agree with last 2 paragraphs

Pilgrimzero

It was... fine. I have several nits, but anyone saying it's worse than Dark World needs to get their head checked. This was at least someone entertaining in a 2 hour 80s music video kind of way. Dark World is just boring for 2 hours.

Latest MCU films ranked:

Black Widow
Eternals
Thor 4
Doc Strange 2
Shang Chi

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Watched it again and enjoyed it a bit more knowing when to tune out and tune in. Those shadow scenes are something else. It stays funny seeing that guy and that guy and whoever that is from Thor die again.

This movie needs an extended directors for more Jane/Thor and Valkyrie music scenes for the opera. Dilute the GnR.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Watched today on Disney Plus. Tone is all over the place. Serious themes and then goats screaming. To be fair the goats, as stupid as they were, actually made me laugh at points. I also couldn’t help but laugh at the ludicrousness of Storm Breaker being a bunny boiler :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_loudly_crying: MCU is butchering their characters but I suppose after writing so many movies over such a long period the quality was bound to dry up eventually. It’s got The Simpsons/Family Guy syndrome, keep going until it’s just a meme/parody of its former self.

Jaybe

This was worse than I was expecting. A high budget unfunny kids movie/romcom. Intro really set the tone with Bale serious in mourning daughter’s death followed by stupid goofy god doesn’t care clown jokes. Narration was cringe. No chemistry between Portman and Hemsworth. Portman was wooden. Crowe outright stupid. Cheap sight gags abound. Child army scene was embarrassing to watch. Only could manage a smirk at a couple lines. So glad I didn’t see this in theatres. Feels like Taika has left the Thor series in shambles regarding the characters/plot and painted it in a corner that someone will need to get it out of. 1/5.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

It was... fine. I have several nits, but anyone saying it's worse than Dark World needs to get their head checked. This was at least someone entertaining in a 2 hour 80s music video kind of way. Dark World is just boring for 2 hours.

Latest MCU films ranked:

Black Widow
Eternals
Thor 4
Doc Strange 2
Shang Chi
I didn't really enjoy the flick, but like you, I don't think it's Dark World bad. Interesting rankings. I too have enjoyed BW the most. I think that was a legit good flick. The rest has left me wanting though. I'd rank the current phase as:

Black Widow
Doctor Strange 2
Shang Chi
Love & Thunder
Eternals

I guess we should also include Spiderman, which would be up top with Black Widow. That was also a good flick.

I think Feige needs to get the Russos back onboard. I don't think it's any coincidence that their 4 films in the MCU have been 4 of the best. While I'll watch everything that comes out, I'm only really looking forward to Wakanda Forever. That's because I'm a Ryan Coogler fan, and I expect him to deliver another strong effort. I just hope the Russos are open to returning for some future MCU projects. It'd be a change to lose the guys who brought us Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame. I mean, when it comes to the MCU, the Russos are fucking royalty.

sol_bad

I think Feige needs to get the Russos back onboard. I don't think it's any coincidence that their 4 films in the MCU have been 4 of the best. While I'll watch everything that comes out, I'm only really looking forward to Wakanda Forever. That's because I'm a Ryan Coogler fan, and I expect him to deliver another strong effort. I just hope the Russos are open to returning for some future MCU projects. It'd be a change to lose the guys who brought us Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War, and Endgame. I mean, when it comes to the MCU, the Russos are fucking royalty.

Hard disagree, the Russo's were nobodies prior to Winter Soldier. Kevin Feige will continue to look for talent from unknowns or indies. Although they are a large studio they still create their films as if they were indie films, it's the reason so many small time directors are happy to stay with them these days. Not every movie will be a success but you need new talent to find more people like the Russo's.

MastaKiiLA

Hard disagree, the Russo's were nobodies prior to Winter Soldier. Kevin Feige will continue to look for talent from unknowns or indies. Although they are a large studio they still create their films as if they were indie films, it's the reason so many small time directors are happy to stay with them these days. Not every movie will be a success but you need new talent to find more people like the Russo's.
They can look for new talent, but the Russos have a proven record with them. While I don't care for their prior films, I think it's clear that they understand the comic book genre. Look at those 4 films. Those are arguably the 4 best in the whole MCU. At worst, they're all in the conversation for best MCU film. The Russos get it, and in a way that we are not seeing even from someone who knocked it out of the park on his first attempt like Taika. Taika is a good director, and a good writer, but while Ragnarok is one of my favorite, this followup is among my least favorite.

We can agree to disagree, but I'll say this, the Russos are the clear MVPs of the MCU directors roster. Thus far this phase, it's felt like a second unit effort. Marvel needs to get their best players back in the game, especially if they're going to go extra with the amount of content their releasing. It just so happens that this middling storytelling effort has coincided with a massive increase in the amount of MCU content available. So it feels like a wave of mediocrity that's really taking the shine off that Endgame high.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
They can look for new talent, but the Russos have a proven record with them. While I don't care for their prior films, I think it's clear that they understand the comic book genre. Look at those 4 films. Those are arguably the 4 best in the whole MCU. At worst, they're all in the conversation for best MCU film. The Russos get it, and in a way that we are not seeing even from someone who knocked it out of the park on his first attempt like Taika. Taika is a good director, and a good writer, but while Ragnarok is one of my favorite, this followup is among my least favorite.

We can agree to disagree, but I'll say this, the Russos are the clear MVPs of the MCU directors roster. Thus far this phase, it's felt like a second unit effort. Marvel needs to get their best players back in the game, especially if they're going to go extra with the amount of content their releasing. It just so happens that this middling storytelling effort has coincided with a massive increase in the amount of MCU content available. So it feels like a wave of mediocrity that's really taking the shine off that Endgame high.

The Russo's movies live and die with the writing. McFeely and Markus wrote great scripts!

sol_bad

I agree that the Russo's have made 4 of the best MCU movies, disagree that phase 4 feels like a second unit effort.
Feige always said that phase 4 was going to be different and it's creatives have been in more control than ever before, none of it's movies or shows have felt the same. They might not be working for you personally and that's OK, there is still a massive fanbase out there that is still very happy with the MCU. No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness and Love & Thunder still made bank at the box office and they still rate pretty well on IMDB and Letterboxd.

It's possible that the script changes and shoot changes due to COVID compromised the stories for you. It will be interesting to see how the films post COVID will do, that won't be until Blade is released though.

Toots

Gold Member
Watched it yesterday.
Well i kinda liked it.
I'm absolutely not invested in the mcu so i didn't care at all about the drama side of it (i even skipped a few hospital scenes). The fun side was fun, and Waikiki, as much as i dislike his face, is a creative director full of ideas. Sometimes good (i liked the play on colors in the dark zone), sometimes dumb and good (the goats, some dialogueè), sometimes dumb and cringe (all the meta 80s shit, that unbelievable scene between Valkyrie and Jane at the hospital ://// ).
I remember telling myself after watching a third of the movie "it might be the most creative thing you can do in a corporate setting like today's Hollywood" (and even more with today's disney). Which is not a good thing because each good stuff is thrown at you with the quadruple of shit designed to please lobotomized mcu fans. What boggles me is that Waikiki seems to thrive in this environment... Whereas it is normally really painful for creative directors to work within those constraints (see Michel Gondry or John Woo in a totally different style). Waikiki is a one-in-a-million kind of dude for the corporate suits at disney. He's like a corporate weirdo...

So during that oh so cringe hospital scene between Valkyrie and Jane, Valkyrie tells Janes her only plan is to die a warriors death to go to Valhalla. Then 45 minutes later she is impaled on the battlefield by the bad guy. Great for her, the "plan" worked. But no she asks Jane to help her flee... She could have her valhalla worthy death but no she prefers to risk dying outside of battle (her injury seems dire it is not just a flesh wound) and fuck up her whole life plan because i don't know the actress contract was not finished?!...

Ulysses 31

So during that oh so cringe hospital scene between Valkyrie and Jane, Valkyrie tells Janes her only plan is to die a warriors death to go to Valhalla. Then 45 minutes later she is impaled on the battlefield by the bad guy. Great for her, the "plan" worked. But no she asks Jane to help her flee... She could have her valhalla worthy death but no she prefers to risk dying outside of battle (her injury seems dire it is not just a flesh wound) and fuck up her whole life plan because i don't know the actress contract was not finished?!...
The whole dying in battle thing is inconsistent, Jane doesn't die on the battlefield but later of cancer and still gets into Valhalla.

Bragr

Banned
I'm curious how many people can take a 1-2 punch like MoM and L&T and not call it quits. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Wakanda Forever better be damn good.
And No way Home, and Eternals. And it's not that long ago since Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel.

People are watching because they have some attachment to the old movies, they desperately want it to be good so they allow themselves to be mocked by these new low-effort cash grabs. At some point, it will change and these movies will be mocked like the last season of Game of Thrones.

Toots

Gold Member
The whole dying in battle thing is inconsistent, Jane doesn't die on the battlefield but later of cancer and still gets into Valhalla.
You can argue she punched her ticket by coming into the last fight knowing it would drain her of the life she had left, which is heroic. Throwing her last forces in the battle knowing it would kill her is valhalla worthy. She was essentially a dead woman walking the moment she grabbed mjolnir to save Thor so i'm fine with her going... Valkyrie on the other hand :pie_bull:

GloveSlap

The opening action scene in this movie is weird. Thor is acting exactly like he did in the beginning of the first Thor movie.......right before he was deemed unworthy and exiled.

Ulysses 31

You can argue she punched her ticket by coming into the last fight knowing it would drain her of the life she had left, which is heroic. Throwing her last forces in the battle knowing it would kill her is valhalla worthy. She was essentially a dead woman walking the moment she grabbed mjolnir to save Thor so i'm fine with her going... Valkyrie on the other hand :pie_bull:
Could be, but then that means Thor doesn't really know his own legends well either when he tells Sif why she ain't going to Valhalla.
She died battling cancer.
Debatable, her Thor powers prevented her body from fighting the cancer causing her to die from it.

The movie's not really clear if she had a fighting chance to survive if she didn't use the Thor powers. She was at stage 4 IIRC.

Last edited:

sol_bad

The opening action scene in this movie is weird. Thor is acting exactly like he did in the beginning of the first Thor movie.......right before he was deemed unworthy and exiled.

Totally different scenarios. In Thor 1 he went to Jotunheim against his father's wishes and stirred up some shit there, potentially causing a war dye to previous bad blood between the Realms.

On Indigar, Thor and the Guardians are there to help the locals. It's just that, due to it being a zany comedy and over the top Thor accidentally destroys the locals temple.

Toots

Gold Member
She died battling cancer.
absolutely not
she died battling Christian Bale disguised as Marylin Manson and that's the bottom line.
Could be, but then that means Thor doesn't really know his own legends well either when he tells Sif why she ain't going to Valhalla.

Debatable, her Thor powers prevented her body from fighting the cancer causing her to die from it.

The movie's not really clear if she had a fighting chance to survive if she didn't use the Thor powers. She was at stage 4 IIRC.
Jane was a dead woman walking, Sif was a injured woman who survived an onslaught.
I think the idea is you cannot participate in a battle, get injured, let yourself die and go to Valhalla.
For me Sif scene was really played for laugh (which is another problem with waikiki), like she wasn't even that hurt...
Anyway i'm sure with those 5 posts we collectively think more about this particular problem that the whole writing team did. They just don't care about consistency that's for sure.

edit changed scene to problem

Last edited:

GymWolf

My cousin is an avid marvel movies fanboy, he even watched multiple times captain assless that is basically like closing your balls on the doorstep in movie form, and he had terouble finishing this one, he found the humor extemely childish, way more tham ragnarock.

Take it as you want.

Toots

Gold Member
My cousin is an avid marvel movies fanboy, he even watched multiple times captain assless that is basically like closing your balls on the doorstep in movie form, and he had terouble finishing this one, he found the humor extemely childish, way more tham ragnarock.

Take it as you want.
Im afraid to take it anyway I want but curious also 😂
What in the world is captain assless ? More importantly where do they screen this gem ? 🤣

Edit : I understand your cousin frustration as the heroes he idealize aren’t treated with deference. I find it really funny myself but I watch like one marvel movie every 2 years so I doesn’t grow old on me

Last edited:

GymWolf

Im afraid to take it anyway I want but curious also 😂
What in the world is captain assless ? More importantly where do they screen this gem ? 🤣

Edit : I understand your cousin frustration as the heroes he idealize aren’t treated with deference. I find it really funny myself but I watch like one marvel movie every 2 years so I doesn’t grow old on me
He is not a comic book fanboy, just movies stuff, he doesn't really idealize anyone, he is like 52 years old:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Capt assless is the alternative name of capt charisma vacuum.

6603074-brie-larsen-marvel-1-700x525.jpg

Last edited:

nush

And No way Home, and Eternals. And it's not that long ago since Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel.

People are watching because they have some attachment to the old movies, they desperately want it to be good so they allow themselves to be mocked by these new low-effort cash grabs. At some point, it will change and these movies will be mocked like the last season of Game of Thrones.

We've already entered "The sequel will make the poor prequel look amazing" territory from some fans.

Billbofet

Agreed. This is the fourth movie with essentially the same theme of Thor becoming the hero he is supposed to or destined to be.
To me, this theme was executed best outside of a Thor movie and actually happened in Infinity War.

I found the scene with Thor in the hospital with Jane actually pretty powerful and from that point on, he is what I would expect him to be - great in that end scene with Jane as well.
But it is such a leap from the absolute goofball moron that flies his axe like a witch in the beginning and fucks up that temple for some yuk yuks.

Nico_D

Oh man, that was pretty bad. Loved Ragnarok but this... I don't have anything against GNR but that was far too much andit lost any dramatic effect it might have had if played less.

Humor was so forced it hurt, barely any coherent story and it was lacking even emotionally even though the actors tried - though only Bale was actually good. I don't know what happened to Waititi but damn.

MrA

Oh man, that was pretty bad. Loved Ragnarok but this... I don't have anything against GNR but that was far too much andit lost any dramatic effect it might have had if played less.

Humor was so forced it hurt, barely any coherent story and it was lacking even emotionally even though the actors tried - though only Bale was actually good. I don't know what happened to Waititi but damn.
He believes his own hype, forgot that less is usually more, probably went from agonizing over every line to making sure it was funny, to I'm a funny guy everything I do is hilarious! Shame because his work used to be fantastic.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The MCU is in standby mode for me until the xmen are introduced. Everything has been just okay for me. The latest Spiderman is really fun but that's because of the member berries.

Ulysses 31

Jane wasn't the problem and any guy who fumes at HER being a Thor (and Thor Odinson is still alive), then he's a little manbaby. The writing, editing and pacing was the problem. The story could have worked if they didn't try to make this a straight up comedy. It made the emotional bits too soft and you barely felt anything other than "aww"
The tweet can be read several ways, maybe that he likes female Thor in that particular comic story but fears the MCU writing will ruin that character as it did Thor(in his view).

I think sticking closer to the source material would've been better too.
There was absolutely no point to that kid army. Is the MCU that desperate for spinoffs?
Kids like to see other kids kicking ass was the director's thought process it seems. :messenger_winking_tongue:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Jane wasn't the problem and any guy who fumes at HER being a Thor (and Thor Odinson is still alive), then he's a little manbaby.
In the MCU, with Thor being an actual person and the hammer just granting some level of additional power, saying that wielding it "turns you into a Thor" IS kinda dumb. They spent an ENTIRE film establishing that Thor has his OWN POWER, not all from Mjolnir, then they follow it up with "hey, I can carry this virtue hammer so I'mma gonna name myself after Thor for no real reason!". She should have called herself "The Mighty MJOLNIR" if "Lady Thor" was somehow perceived to be offensive. It would be like someone getting elected President and they call themself "The Mighty George Washington" instead of "President". Thor here is a given name, not a title.

The comic idea that Mjolnir TRASNSFORMS the wielder into Thor, or some aspect of him, made a lot more sense.....err, internal consistency at least.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I saw it last week and it’s a mess of a movie.

Sure, it manages to be somewhat entertaining but it’s a mess. Personally I think the problem is that the movie wants/needs to do too many things but doesn’t commit to any of them.

a) there’s a movie that explores themes of enjoying life up to the last minute, accepting death and Thor dealing with grief, something we know he’s not very good at.

b) there’s a movie about actual cosmic adventures - the council of gods, the higher powers like eternity, the shadow realm…

c) there’s a movie about how asgardians are dealing with their new situation, how it gels with the fact that well, Asgard attracts danger but now they’re on earth.

But we don’t get any of these movies, we get a pastiche that wants to touch on these threads while riding a comedy vibe and hoping laughs and set pieces will save the movie.

As a result we don’t get a fully developed arc for Thor and the way he resolves the ending feels unearnt.

Anyways.

Lady Jane

Banned
I saw it last week and it’s a mess of a movie.

Sure, it manages to be somewhat entertaining but it’s a mess. Personally I think the problem is that the movie wants/needs to do too many things but doesn’t commit to any of them.

a) there’s a movie that explores themes of enjoying life up to the last minute, accepting death and Thor dealing with grief, something we know he’s not very good at.

b) there’s a movie about actual cosmic adventures - the council of gods, the higher powers like eternity, the shadow realm…

c) there’s a movie about how asgardians are dealing with their new situation, how it gels with the fact that well, Asgard attracts danger but now they’re on earth.

But we don’t get any of these movies, we get a pastiche that wants to touch on these threads while riding a comedy vibe and hoping laughs and set pieces will save the movie.

As a result we don’t get a fully developed arc for Thor and the way he resolves the ending feels unearnt.

Anyways.

They should have focuesd on the bolded. It was the strongest part of the movie. Jane accepting her faith and Thor coming into terms with her inevitable end. Instead it clashed with other commitments that the movie was trying to do. Guardians of the Galaxy 1 is a good example of embedding loss into an action comedy (Peter's mom holding out her hand at the end). The scene where Jane died didn't hit an emotional spot at all. I got the impression that she didn't love Thor (no chemistry) and she was okay with dying because she didn't have much to live for. She was also kind of annoying in this movie. It was difficult to feel bad for her.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Is this dude saying that taika didn't written all the scenes in ragnarock or what? and how do he knows who write the single scenes?

sol_bad

Is this dude saying that taika didn't written all the scenes in ragnarock or what? and how do he knows who write the single scenes?

i85LeJg.jpg
cAuddci.jpg

Drinker is an idiot, says the play in L&T isn't needed and a single line of dialogue would have sufficed. The play in Ragnarok isn't needed either, Thor could have realised that Loki was in charge in any other number of ways. Fact of the matter is that Taika and co just wanted to have some fun in both films by poking fun at the previous film.

FunkMiller

In the same way Zack Snyder should never have been given free rein on Batman V Superman, or Rian Johnson should never have been given free rein on Last Jedi… Taika Waititi should never have been given free rein on this movie.

There are very, very, very few directors who can produce high quality movies, with no one overseeing their work.

Top Bottom